• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tsunami recorded at Cocos Island

September 12, 2007 11:59pm

A 15cm tsunami has been observed at Cocos Island following a massive 7.9-magnitude undersea earthquake off the western coast of Indonesia's Sumatra island.

A preliminary tsunami warning was issued to residents of Christmas and Cocos islands after the undersea earthquake hit at 6.10pm (9.10pm AEST) about 100km southwest of the Indonesian city of Bengkulu.

Continued here http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

News report on Ch 7 now.

Edit:

Report finished. He said something like "People heard the news from other countries and ran away to high ground. But there's not a problem and if there is, I will tell you."

Or something like that. :o

Edited by JetsetBkk

I was in the new Robinsons in Jungceylon patong and was at the register about to pay for some stuff when all of a sudden all the staff evacuated without saying a word to me..i stood there for a while wondering what was going on then after a few minutes of looking around trying to find a staff member i noticed the entire shopping centre was near empty..then some guy ran up telling me tsunami and to get out..not a word from the staff not a beep..siren..announcement..then at the main front doors onto the street they guards were ushering people out just yelling "out out out" nobody knew what was going on.totally shocking on part of Jungceylon....luckily nothing actually happened!!

well thats my little rant..im quite let down by the whole thing.

Good old Thai saftey standards in action

I was in the new Robinsons in Jungceylon patong and was at the register about to pay for some stuff when all of a sudden all the staff evacuated without saying a word to me..i stood there for a while wondering what was going on then after a few minutes of looking around trying to find a staff member i noticed the entire shopping centre was near empty..then some guy ran up telling me tsunami and to get out..not a word from the staff not a beep..siren..announcement..then at the main front doors onto the street they guards were ushering people out just yelling "out out out" nobody knew what was going on.totally shocking on part of Jungceylon....luckily nothing actually happened!!

well thats my little rant..im quite let down by the whole thing.

Good old Thai saftey standards in action

Thai saftey standards ????...... what are they :o .

I hope you at least got your shopping for free :D ( I'm trying to look on the brightside :D ).

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/indi...9.12.144002.txt

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 005

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 1440Z 12 SEP 2007

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... AN INDIAN-OCEAN-WIDE TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR

INDONESIA / AUSTRALIA / INDIA / SRI LANKA / THAILAND /

UNITED KINGDOM / MALDIVES / MYANMAR / MALAYSIA / BANGLADESH /

MAURITIUS / REUNION / SEYCHELLES / MADAGASCAR / SOMALIA / OMAN /

PAKISTAN / IRAN / YEMEN / COMORES / CROZET ISLANDS /

MOZAMBIQUE / KENYA / TANZANIA / KERGUELEN ISLANDS /

SOUTH AFRICA / SINGAPORE

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1110Z 12 SEP 2007

COORDINATES - 4.5 SOUTH 101.3 EAST

LOCATION - SOUTHERN SUMATERA INDONESIA

MAGNITUDE - 8.2

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER

------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----

PADANG ID 0.9S 100.4E 1348Z 0.98M / 3.2FT 34MIN

COCOS CC 12.1S 96.9E 1236Z 0.11M / 0.4FT 22MIN

DART 23401 8.9N 88.5E 1421Z 0.02M / 0.1FT 30MIN

LAT - LATITUDE (N-NORTH, S-SOUTH)

LON - LONGITUDE (E-EAST, W-WEST)

TIME - TIME OF THE MEASUREMENT (Z IS UTC IS GREENWICH TIME)

AMPL - TSUNAMI AMPLITUDE MEASURED RELATIVE TO NORMAL SEA LEVEL.

IT IS ...NOT... CREST-TO-TROUGH WAVE HEIGHT.

VALUES ARE GIVEN IN BOTH METERS(M) AND FEET(FT).

PER - PERIOD OF TIME IN MINUTES(MIN) FROM ONE WAVE TO THE NEXT.

EVALUATION

SEA LEVEL READINGS INDICATE A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. IT MAY

ALREADY HAVE BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG SOME COASTS.

BASED ON THESE DATA THE THREAT CONTINUES FOR ALL COASTAL AREAS OF

THE INDIAN OCEAN. FOR THOSE AREAS - WHEN NO MAJOR WAVES HAVE

OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS AFTER THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL TIME

OR DAMAGING WAVES HAVE NOT OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS THEN

LOCAL AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME THE THREAT IS PASSED. DANGER TO

BOATS AND COASTAL STRUCTURES CAN CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS DUE

TO RAPID CURRENTS. AS LOCAL CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE A WIDE

VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE ALL CLEAR DETERMINATION MUST

BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

DUE TO ONLY LIMITED SEA LEVEL DATA FROM THE REGION IT MAY NOT

BE POSSIBLE FOR THIS CENTER TO RAPIDLY NOR ACCURATELY EVALUATE

THE STRENGTH OF A TSUNAMI IF ONE HAS BEEN GENERATED.

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES AT FORECAST POINTS

WITHIN THE WARNING AND WATCH AREAS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUAL

ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE

LARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEEN

SUCCESSIVE WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

LOCATION FORECAST POINT COORDINATES ARRIVAL TIME

-------------------------------- ------------ ------------

INDONESIA BENGKULU 3.9S 102.0E 1123Z 12 SEP

SIBERUT 1.5S 98.7E 1203Z 12 SEP

PADANG 0.9S 100.1E 1214Z 12 SEP

BANDAR LAMPUNG 5.7S 105.3E 1242Z 12 SEP

SIMEULUE 2.5N 96.0E 1243Z 12 SEP

CILACAP 7.8S 108.9E 1307Z 12 SEP

BANDA ACEH 5.5N 95.1E 1329Z 12 SEP

BALI 8.7S 115.3E 1345Z 12 SEP

KUPANG 10.0S 123.4E 1453Z 12 SEP

BELAWAN 3.8N 99.0E 1703Z 12 SEP

AUSTRALIA CHRISTMAS IS 10.4S 105.4E 1220Z 12 SEP

COCOS ISLAND 12.1S 96.7E 1234Z 12 SEP

NORTH WEST CAPE 21.5S 113.9E 1429Z 12 SEP

CAPE INSPIRATIO 25.9S 113.0E 1526Z 12 SEP

CAPE LEVEQUE 16.1S 122.6E 1542Z 12 SEP

PERTH 32.0S 115.3E 1545Z 12 SEP

AUGUSTA 34.3S 114.7E 1559Z 12 SEP

GERALDTOWN 28.6S 114.3E 1603Z 12 SEP

ESPERANCE 34.0S 121.8E 1726Z 12 SEP

KINGSTON SOUTH 37.0S 139.4E 1906Z 12 SEP

EUCLA MOTEL 31.8S 128.9E 1934Z 12 SEP

DARWIN 12.1S 130.7E 1948Z 12 SEP

HEARD ISLAND 54.0S 73.5E 1955Z 12 SEP

HOBART 43.3S 147.6E 2015Z 12 SEP

INDIA GREAT NICOBAR 7.1N 93.6E 1338Z 12 SEP

LITTLE ANDAMAN 10.7N 92.3E 1421Z 12 SEP

PORT BLAIR 12.0N 92.5E 1440Z 12 SEP

NORTH ANDAMAN 13.3N 92.6E 1453Z 12 SEP

CHENNAI 13.4N 80.4E 1540Z 12 SEP

KAKINADA 17.2N 82.7E 1604Z 12 SEP

TRIVANDRUM 8.3N 76.9E 1608Z 12 SEP

BALESHWAR 21.6N 87.3E 1701Z 12 SEP

MANGALORE 13.3N 74.4E 1732Z 12 SEP

BOMBAY 18.8N 72.6E 2005Z 12 SEP

GULF OF KUTCH 22.7N 68.9E 2019Z 12 SEP

SRI LANKA DONDRA HEAD 5.8N 80.5E 1447Z 12 SEP

TRINCOMALEE 8.7N 81.3E 1502Z 12 SEP

COLOMBO 6.9N 79.8E 1515Z 12 SEP

JAFFNA 9.9N 80.0E 1625Z 12 SEP

THAILAND PHUKET 8.0N 98.2E 1508Z 12 SEP

KO PHRA THONG 9.1N 98.2E 1554Z 12 SEP

KO TARUTAO 6.6N 99.6E 1626Z 12 SEP

OK so I think its safe to say any emergency has passed..

But why did the warning towers not sound off ?? Police evacuated beach Rd and wouldnt let anyone go down there.. But I heard nothing from the official system.

So did the whole shebang fail or what ??

hahah i could have easily "shopped" for whatever i liked as they all did the bolt...

regrets regrets

Sorry, but your statement makes you look like a complete and uttter muppet. It may be funny, but try telling that to the many people here who have lost friends or relatives in the last tsunami. Personally, I am glad that nothing has happened and that people may have been over aware, at least this way there aren't so many needless deaths.

Edited by mrtoad

But why did the warning towers not sound off ?? Police evacuated beach Rd and wouldnt let anyone go down there.. But I heard nothing from the official system.

The warning towers didn't go off because there was no need. As for the police... looks like they over-reacted.

The guy on the Ch. 7 emergency report seemed a little upset that people headed for high ground without waiting for his report on the situation.

Second earthquake hits Indonesia.

The second quake was recorded at a magnitude of 6.6 and had its epicenter 70 kilometers southwest of Bengkulu. One person was killed in Bengkulu, officials said to the Indonesian newschannel El Shinta, according to AFP.

At the same time in Sri Lanka the government lifted its tsunami warning, according to Reuters.

Edited by TAWP

The warning towers didn't go off because there was no need. As for the police... looks like they over-reacted.

The guy on the Ch. 7 emergency report seemed a little upset that people headed for high ground without waiting for his report on the situation.

No need..

Theres a Tsunami watch.. You gonna wait until the last second ??

If they are evacuating the entire area.. Then thats what the towers should help with.. What else ??

Indonesia Issues 2nd Tsunami Warning

Sep 12, 2007 10:40 am US/Central

(AP) JAKARTA, Indonesia A massive earthquake shook Indonesia on Wednesday, killing seven people, injuring 100 and triggering a small tsunami that hit one city on the island of Sumatra, authorities said. Tsunami warnings were issued for much of the Indian Ocean region.

The 8.2-magnitude quake off Sumatra badly damaged buildings along the coast and could be felt in at least four countries, with tall buildings swaying as far as 1,200 miles away.

It was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, the strongest of which registered at a magnitude of 6.6 and triggered a second tsunami alert for Indonesia, the meteorological agency reported.

snip

keyetv.com

No need..

If they are evacuating the entire area.. Then thats what the towers should help with.. What else ??

Just to add to that.. in Karon they had a fire engine down at the circle and were not letting anyone down the beach rd.. Pushing everyone away..

So they clearly were wanting to alert all people to leave the area.

No need..

But the police shouldn't have evacuated "the entire area" - that was my point. The police over-reacted; they didn't wait for the official system to report on the situation and that's why the guy on Ch. 7 was a bit p1ssed off. He told everyone to go back home and wait.

Earthquake in Indonesia kills 7, triggers small tsunami

Updated at 10:35 AM

By Robin McDowell

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — A massive earthquake shook Indonesia on Wednesday, killing seven people, injuring 100 and triggering a small tsunami that hit one city on the island of Sumatra, authorities said. Tsunami warnings were issued for much of the Indian Ocean region.

The 8.2-magnitude quake off Sumatra badly damaged buildings along the coast and could be felt in at least four countries, with tall buildings swaying up to 2,000 kilometres away.

It was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, the strongest of which registered at a magnitude of 6.6 and triggered a second tsunami alert for Indonesia, the meteorological agency reported.

At least seven people were killed in three Sumatran towns, Social Affairs Department official Felix Valentino told the news portal detik.com. Phone lines and electricity also were cut. Most of the damage appeared to be from the quake.

A wave of up to three metres high was reported to have struck the city of Padang about 20 minutes after the initial quake, said Suhardjono, an official with Indonesia’s meteorological agency, who goes by only one name.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also reported that a small tsunami hit Padang.

Several buildings in Padang were damaged and at least one car showroom collapsed, according to detik.com, which said people were searching to see if anyone was inside. It did not say whether the quake or wave caused the damage. Suhardjono said communication with the area was difficult.

At least one person was killed and dozens injured in Bengkulu, the town closest to the epicentre, local government official Salamun Harius told El Shinta radio.

Residents in Bengkulu, where at least one building was demolished, said the quake triggered panic and that people ran inland.

“Everyone is running out of their houses in every direction,” said Wati Said, who spoke by cellphone while standing outside her house. “We think our neighbourhood is high enough. God willing, if the water comes, it will not touch us here.”

“Communication is cut, we can’t call out,” she added. “I don’t know how you contacted us. Everyone is afraid.”

snip

winnipegfreepress.com

No need..

Just to add to that.. in Karon they had a fire engine down at the circle and were not letting anyone down the beach rd.. Pushing everyone away..

It looks like the communications between the police and the official "tsunami watch" people (sorry, don't know their correct title) needs improving.

No need..

It looks like the communications between the police and the official "tsunami watch" people (sorry, don't know their correct title) needs improving.

Sure does..

Left hand.. right hand..

If we look at the map of South East Asia, the epic centre of the quake is at almost the tip of SE Sumatra. If it does trickle Tsunami, it will only hit alone the western coast lines of Sumatra, South of Sumatra and the Indian Ocean. I dont think it can reach the coast lines of Singapore, Malaya and or even Thailand. Anyone?

post-8397-1189617313_thumb.jpg

Edited by gentman

Tsunamis are tricky to predict. In addition to the actual quake, it's location and other factors, there is also the possibility of an earthquake causing large underwater mud/rock slides that can trigger the tsunami.

In order for a system to be effective, there needs to be coordination. Sounds like that isn't happening. Even a system with different levels of alert would be good. When I grew up, we had tornado watches/warnings. There were two different sounds from the siren. One, short, loud bursts--like a siren meant the conditions were ripe and to keep a very close watch. The second, a long, constant loud siren meant one was spotted and moving in our direction and to take cover immediately.

So much for gov't coordination!

The Phuket Tsunami warning system is triggered by official information from organisations such as http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/

It is not triggered by CNN or BBC reports, as news organisations are well know for hyping events.

Should a Tsunami have developed it was not predicted to reach Phuket until 22.08 Thai time, therefore the Thai governemnt would have had ample time to sound the alarm system & evacuate the low ground.

We were living here in the 2004 Tsunami, and we certainly listened to the breaking news yesterday. Had I been on low ground I would have moved to high ground, so I'm grateful for the breaking news. I also alerted neighbours & friends. Difficult to define a line between being cautious and being negligent.

another one this morning...

8.0 (Preliminary magnitude --- subject to revision)

Date-Time

* Thursday, September 13, 2007 at 06:49:06 AM at epicenter

Location 2.915°S, 100.794°E

Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program

Region KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

Distances

* 189 km (117 miles) WNW (300°) from Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 224 km (139 miles) SSE (167°) from Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 348 km (216 miles) WSW (244°) from Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 577 km (359 miles) SW (216°) from SINGAPORE

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available

Parameters Nst=014, Nph=014, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.44 sec, Gp= 90°,

M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=1

Source

* West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00627134

another one this morning...

8.0 (Preliminary magnitude --- subject to revision)

Date-Time

* Thursday, September 13, 2007 at 06:49:06 AM at epicenter

Location 2.915°S, 100.794°E

Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program

Region KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

Distances

* 189 km (117 miles) WNW (300°) from Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 224 km (139 miles) SSE (167°) from Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 348 km (216 miles) WSW (244°) from Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia

* 577 km (359 miles) SW (216°) from SINGAPORE

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available

Parameters Nst=014, Nph=014, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.44 sec, Gp= 90°,

M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=1

Source

* West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00627134

I felt that one in Singapore here in my condo and started a thread asking if anyone had felt it.

I did not feel the one last night