Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program

Region KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tsunamis are tricky to predict. In addition to the actual quake, it's location and other factors, there is also the possibility of an earthquake causing large underwater mud/rock slides that can trigger the tsunami.

In order for a system to be effective, there needs to be coordination. Sounds like that isn't happening. Even a system with different levels of alert would be good. When I grew up, we had tornado watches/warnings. There were two different sounds from the siren. One, short, loud bursts--like a siren meant the conditions were ripe and to keep a very close watch. The second, a long, constant loud siren meant one was spotted and moving in our direction and to take cover immediately.

So much for gov't coordination!

While that makes sense in theory in an area with a high tourist population, and I hate to say it, but Thais who dont seem to have a full grasp of the system, it strikes me as too confusing to have multiple different coded alerts / levels.

The panic exhibited last night where I am even after the all clear was fairly obvious was just silly.. Around our house were were told that absolutely positively there was a wave coming as a senior monk had predicted it. How can you argue with logic like that.

The Phuket Tsunami warning system is triggered by official information from organisations such as http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/

It is not triggered by CNN or BBC reports, as news organisations are well know for hyping events.

Should a Tsunami have developed it was not predicted to reach Phuket until 22.08 Thai time, therefore the Thai governemnt would have had ample time to sound the alarm system & evacuate the low ground.

We were living here in the 2004 Tsunami, and we certainly listened to the breaking news yesterday. Had I been on low ground I would have moved to high ground, so I'm grateful for the breaking news. I also alerted neighbours & friends. Difficult to define a line between being cautious and being negligent.

Would it have been 22.08 ?? From memory yesterday it was approx 18:10 when the quake happened.. 4 hours from there to here ??

One thing that has come from this is people now seem acutely aware of the possibility of tsunamis.. With the ring of fire seeming more active at least thats one thing.

Certainly sounds like adjustments in the stress points along the fault. Now that there have been two they can possibly predict the third. There was a program on Discovery that showed a computer model that was able to extrapolate the next location and the approximate time based on moving stress points.

Today:

MiniVDO: An undersea earthquake in Southern Sumatra last night caused a Tsunami alert across the Indian Ocean and some panic in the Andaman provinces of Thailand.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214734

The 8.2 Richter undersea earthquake occurred at 6.10 pm yesterday local time near south west Sumatra of Indonesia. Even though the Thai National Disaster Warning Centre or NDWC did not issue any official warning for the public, it kept a close analysis and monitored the situation, but people in the Andaman provinces learnt about the Tsunami alert from other sources with high tech media.

Our news team went out to observe the atmosphere in Phuket. Starting from the sea gypsy community at Koh Sireh near town where local villagers walked or left their homes on motorbikes heading for a local temple located on higher ground which is designated as a safe shelter. The villagers just took part in the Tsunami drill in late July so this time the head of the villagers facilitated the evacuation. Residents of Ban Kok Thanote in Chalong area on the south end of the island moved up to a local temple. In Rawai people who were told by friends and watched television moved up to higher ground. On the local authority’s side the Phuket Vice Governor Worapot Ratasrima ordered all local government and the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Officers to standby and station at vulnerable beaches in case of any official warning messages from the NDWC.

In Soi Bangla Patong just after 7 pm, some shops run by Thais started to shut down in precaution while some still let tourists enjoy themselves as they said they were confident in the Thai early warning system as they just had an evacuation drill in July so they were sure to take care of tourists. At around 8 pm the situation remained unchanged so more shops started to close while police officers stepped in for security and protection of property for people. Hotels on Patong beach like Club Andaman Beach Resort kept their guests informed of what was happening and gave them updated information, so their guests did not to panic while the staff said they were certain to be able to take care of the guests in case of any evacuation as they have been trained. Our team asked how people learnt of the tsunami or earthquake, they said from television and phones or SMS by friends, but the incident last night did cause extreme difficulties in mobile phone communications.

At 9.45 pm the NDWC’s chairman Dr. Smith Dhammasaroja announced a bulletin on every television channel. He stressed that the NDWC did not issue any public warning, but people on the shoreline received news and information from other international channels which caused panic and confusion in Thailand. He kindly advised Thai people to be confident in the Thai NDWC and follow the official news and information. After listening to the announcement at the Phuket provincial hall people were relieved and went home.

At 6.49 am this morning there was report of another 8.0 Richter earthquake at Southern Sumatra, which is 1233 kilometres away from the Thai Andaman coast. People are advised to follow the Thai National Disaster Warning Centre. We emphasise for viewers and listeners of the repeated program that this was on Thursday morning.

-----

& related news today:

MiniVDO: The Chairman of Bangkok’s National Disaster Warning Centre indicated Thailand can be a disaster warning centre for the Pacific region.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214733

Speaking about the progress of tsunami warning system installations, before that earthquake last night, the Thai National Disaster Warning Centre Chairman Dr Smith Dhamasaroja stated that so far 79 towers have been installed on the west coast with another 48 locations on the east coast. He further stated that 144 towers are planned to be installed in all regions within the next year. Dr Smith also mentioned that the warnings not only focus on tsunamis but also earthquakes, landslides, flash floods and forest fires. The warning messages will be sent via scrollers on television screens, radio, fax, emails and SMS while the amateur radio call sign HF100W will be distributed to public and private agencies. This he said would signal Thailand’s preparedness to be a centre for disaster warnings.

----------

& from yesterday:

MiniVDO: Thailand prepares to deploy two more tsunami buoys in the Andaman Sea to improve early warning system.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214725

The Thai National Disaster Warning Centre or NDWC is now preparing to install two more tsunami detection buoys in the middle of the Indian Ocean after they have been approved the budget. In December 2006, Thailand, in cooperation with the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration or NOAA from America deployed a buoy reportedly nearer to India. Details for procurement are now being drawn up and the Thai National Disaster Warning Administration chairman Dr. Smith Dhamasaroja assures that the data collected from the buoys, will benefit not only Thailand, but also countries in the Indian Ocean Rim.

The buoys are expected to be deployed by the end of this year and will be located around 250 kilometres from Phuket Island, as, Mr. Smith stressed, that would allow more warning time for Thailand and other countries.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, weekdays & www.Thaisnews.com

Indonesia is an hour ahead of Thailand.

So, who else evacuated last night? Our only firetruck drove down our street with a loud speaker on, and everyone fled. Yet, the towers were silent. Then they pulled the plug on the power. So we sat in dark watching the sea ..

Kinda crazy to pull the power I thought, I mean if a wave did come It would of been nice to be able to see my way out to my truck. Made it tough to stay online too :o

There goes the third or an aftershock

Building I am in in Singapore is shaking right now!

The building tremor alarm just went off too followed by message no need to evacuate yest but we are all pissing off out anyway - any excuse ;-)

Edited by Prakanong

There goes the third or an aftershock

Building I am in in Singapore is shaking right now!

The building tremor alarm just went off too followed by message no need to evacuate yest but we are all pissing off out anyway - any excuse ;-)

The quakes seem to be happening slightly north on the fault now. That last one you felt is showing as a 7.3.

http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recen...ree10/100_0.php

Edited by Carmine6

Different organisations will put the time as to their locations eg. EST or PST or GMT when things happened half the globe away. To standardise it, it would be better to have the time as it happen at that place. eg. earthquake at North Sumatra 6.18pm Indonesia local time. Tsunami alert Thai islands at 6.40 pm Thai local time and coast of West Malaya 7.45pm Malaysia local time. This is only an example. This may safe some confusion to the public at large. What do you think?

Edited by gentman

LivinLOS: The difficulty with warning systems is that if there are too many false alarms, people ignore them. On the other hand, when they know there has been a quake and an alert has been issued, then the warning sirens need to be sounded. Especially in a place like Thailand, where the inoperability and number of failed tests is somewhat scary. Two different sounding systems isn't that difficult to figure out.

The "sound" of nothing in light of a big earthquake, as has been seen is difficult to figure out.

From the New York Times:

I am more convinced than ever that we are going to be seeing a significantly larger earthquake in the area,” said Kerry Sieh, a seismologist from the California Institute of Technology who has spent several decades studying earthquake risk around Sumatra.

“These three big earthquakes, they just encircle this big patch that has not failed, a big strong part of the fault that hasn’t broken yet,” he said. “The million dollar question is, is it over?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/world/as...amp;oref=slogin

Not good for the entire area if true.

hahah i could have easily "shopped" for whatever i liked as they all did the bolt...

regrets regrets

Sorry, but your statement makes you look like a complete and uttter muppet. It may be funny, but try telling that to the many people here who have lost friends or relatives in the last tsunami. Personally, I am glad that nothing has happened and that people may have been over aware, at least this way there aren't so many needless deaths.

I agree with Mr. Toad here. If you want to act like Kermit the frog, better to pick more humourous topics ... I don't see anything funny in your posting and find it insensitive to those who suffered in 2004.

LivinLOS: The difficulty with warning systems is that if there are too many false alarms, people ignore them. On the other hand, when they know there has been a quake and an alert has been issued, then the warning sirens need to be sounded.

An alert by the Thai National Disaster Warning Centre had not been given and that's why the sirens did not go off. And, as it turned out, that was the correct decision.

Especially in a place like Thailand, where the inoperability and number of failed tests is somewhat scary. Two different sounding systems isn't that difficult to figure out.

The "sound" of nothing in light of a big earthquake, as has been seen is difficult to figure out.

You want them to sound an "all clear" type signal? Or should it be called a "don't panic, we're on the job, nothing to worry about yet" type signal?

..then some guy ran up telling me tsunami and to get out..not a word from the staff not a beep..siren..announcement..then at the main front doors onto the street they guards were ushering people out just yelling "out out out" nobody knew what was going on.totally shocking on part of Jungceylon....luckily nothing actually happened!!

well thats my little rant..im quite let down by the whole thing.

Good old Thai saftey standards in action.... hahah i could have easily "shopped" for whatever i liked as they all did the bolt...

regrets regrets

Were you here during the tsunami? Do you have ANY idea why "they" bolted? :o

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 0348Z 13 SEP 2007

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... A LOCAL TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR

INDONESIA

FOR OTHER AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN REGION...THIS MESSAGE IS FOR

INFORMATION ONLY AT THIS TIME.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0335Z 13 SEP 2007

COORDINATES - 2.3 SOUTH 99.6 EAST

LOCATION - SOUTHERN SUMATERA INDONESIA

MAGNITUDE - 7.1

EVALUATION

A DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT DOES NOT EXIST BASED ON

HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A LOCAL TSUNAMI THAT

COULD AFFECT COASTS LOCATED USUALLY NO MORE THAN A HUNDRED

KILOMETERS FROM THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES FOR THE

REGION NEAR THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS POSSIBILITY.

AREAS FURTHER FROM THE EPICENTER COULD EXPERIENCE SMALL SEA

LEVEL CHANGES AND STRONG OR UNUSUAL COASTAL CURRENTS.

DUE TO ONLY LIMITED SEA LEVEL DATA FROM THE REGION IT MAY NOT

BE POSSIBLE FOR THIS CENTER TO RAPIDLY CONFIRM NOR EVALUATE THE

STRENGTH OF A TSUNAMI IF ONE HAS BEEN GENERATED.

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES AT FORECAST POINTS

WITHIN THE WARNING AND WATCH AREAS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUAL

ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE

LARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEEN

SUCCESSIVE WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

LOCATION FORECAST POINT COORDINATES ARRIVAL TIME

-------------------------------- ------------ ------------

INDONESIA SIBERUT 1.5S 98.7E 0356Z 13 SEP

PADANG 0.9S 100.1E 0358Z 13 SEP

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED BY THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI

WARNING CENTER FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ISSUE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

FOR THIS EVENT. IN THE CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION...THE

MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY

From the New York Times:

I am more convinced than ever that we are going to be seeing a significantly larger earthquake in the area,” said Kerry Sieh, a seismologist from the California Institute of Technology who has spent several decades studying earthquake risk around Sumatra.

“These three big earthquakes, they just encircle this big patch that has not failed, a big strong part of the fault that hasn’t broken yet,” he said. “The million dollar question is, is it over?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/world/as...amp;oref=slogin

Not good for the entire area if true.

it seems like every time I refresh the map there is a new one. Some major changes in stress points for sure.

Busy day

MAG UTC DATE-TIME

y/m/d h:m:s LAT

deg LON

deg DEPTH

km Region

MAP 5.5 2007/09/13 16:59:26 -2.118 99.978 35.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 6.2 2007/09/13 16:09:09 -3.247 101.439 3.3 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.6 2007/09/13 15:08:52 -4.351 101.210 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.1 2007/09/13 13:43:55 -2.977 100.225 11.6 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.6 2007/09/13 13:10:20 -2.621 100.966 52.5 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/13 12:12:59 -3.691 100.694 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.0 2007/09/13 11:57:17 -2.034 99.434 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.4 2007/09/13 09:21:35 -2.164 99.748 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 4.8 2007/09/13 08:01:56 -2.773 100.292 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/13 06:32:48 -2.072 99.405 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.0 2007/09/13 06:28:51 -2.029 99.383 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.1 2007/09/13 05:53:23 -3.979 100.553 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 4.9 2007/09/13 05:48:44 -3.988 100.511 24.5 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.0 2007/09/13 05:44:14 -3.735 100.706 2.8 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.5 2007/09/13 05:23:24 -1.686 99.717 38.9 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/13 04:06:10 -1.723 99.567 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 7.1 2007/09/13 03:35:26 -2.223 99.564 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.5 2007/09/13 02:51:31 -2.049 99.790 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.9 2007/09/13 02:30:01 -1.639 99.697 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.0 2007/09/13 01:55:44 -3.869 101.629 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/13 01:49:04 -2.331 99.404 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/13 01:38:05 -1.902 99.734 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.8 2007/09/13 01:26:33 -2.039 99.730 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 7.9 2007/09/12 23:49:04 -2.506 100.906 30.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.1 2007/09/12 23:19:44 -4.082 100.907 10.0 SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.4 2007/09/12 22:17:17 -2.897 100.757 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.1 2007/09/12 22:02:23 -4.609 101.280 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.9 2007/09/12 16:37:00 -3.109 101.395 11.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/12 15:35:05 -4.264 100.984 10.0 SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 6.0 2007/09/12 14:40:01 -3.227 101.358 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 4.9 2007/09/12 14:04:53 -4.263 101.152 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.3 2007/09/12 13:17:14 -3.334 100.620 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 5.7 2007/09/12 13:02:03 -2.960 101.335 10.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/12 12:21:44 -2.667 100.318 10.0 KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA

MAP 8.4 2007/09/12 11:10:26 -4.521 101.370 30.0 SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

MAP 5.2 2007/09/07 23:56:23 -7.220 103.195 31.8 SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA

Not to belabor the point, but I think it's a good idea to sound the siren's when there is an alert--because the Thai Tsunami center didn't issue doesn't mean there couldn't be one. There have been a lot of cock-ups with the warning system.

I am curious as to why the police evacuated people--who told them to do that? Why did a store evacuate, except for a lone foreigner who didn't seem to know what was going on?

Since we live in an age of information, it's far too easy for people to be watching CNN or BBC and hear about it and get into panic mode. A pre-warning, for lack of a better term, would allow for an orderly evacuation or non-evacuation, but for people to be ready to leave.

The big Tsunami is too close in time for people not involved not to need to be reassured that things are under control.

Does anyone know about a warning system that sends a SMS to phones? I heard something about it over dinner. From what I was told a cell tower in a warning area would send a signal to all phones that it was servicing. I don’t know if this is still in the works or is up and running or just BS.

MiniVDO: Residents in the Andaman Coastal provinces are reported to be confident in the National Disaster Warning Centre’s warning system

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214750

Following Wednesday night’s earthquake and some panic, the Sea Gypsea community at Laem Tukkae on Thursday morning took on their normal daily routines despite at least two strong after shocks reported on television. One of them told our reporter that even though they are concerned about safety, they still believe in Thailand’s National Disaster Warning Centre or NDWC’s early warning system and towers. Phuket Vice Governor Worapote Ratasrima stated that the Wednesday night evacuation by some people did not cause any injuries while more shocks yesterday morning did not cause panic, but residents rather watched and kept listening to official information. Meanwhile yesterday morning, tourists and guests of hotels on Patong beach, like at Club Andaman Beach Resort, spent a normal relaxing time at the hotel’s swimming pool. They said the hotel has informed them of the earthquake situation and messages from the NDWC via television, but there was no need to panic. Niyom Petch-Phang-Nga of Club Andaman Beach Resort stressed that the hotel usually runs annual evacuation drills so in any case of emergency the hotel staff can take the lead for their guests’ safety.

MiniVDO: The NDWC chairman seeks cooperation from hotel operators in the Andaman region to link the government warning towers to their system.

To see or download mini-video, go to

During his recent trip to Phuket, the Thai National Disaster Warning Centre chairman Dr. Smith Dhammasajora called for people living on the shorelines or any vulnerable locations for natural disaster to be assured of the NDWC’s early warning systems and measures as a large numbers of towers have been installed and that two more Tsunami detection buoys will be deployed in the Indian Ocean soon. He however said that the NDWC’s concern is the lack of links from its warning systems to hotels, so he seeks cooperation from hotel operators and guest houses to prolong the NDWC’s policy as it would ensure the highest efficiency in warnings, especially in case nature strikes at night time: He said that the system costs around 500,000 to 1 million baht for each large hotel but costs much less for guest-houses.

MiniVDO: Phuket tourism operators believe that foreign travelers would understand the natural hazard threat and so far tourism is not affected.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214748

In reacting to the past two days’ strong earthquakes in the Indian ocean, the Tourism Authority of Thailand Phuket Office Director Suwalai Pinpradap confirmed that the situation has not affected hotel bookings in the three provinces of Phuket, Phang-Nga and Krabi. She is confident that the foreign tourists understand the natural threats as well as have confidence in Thailand’s warning system. Suwalai further stated that hotel operators have their own preparedness in handling emergencies. This was reaffirmed by the Phuket Tourist Association president Maitree Nareukhatpichai who said there are no reports of booking cancellations, but he will wait to see for the next few days. The Phuket Tourist Association President admitted that he is concerned that the present after-shocks may lead to tourists being concerned. In case of any strong quake he suggests that the responsible agency should step in to give a clear message to prevent panic and confusion. At present Phuket enjoys a high occupancy rate of 80–90 % despite its low season period.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket & Phuket Cable TV Channel 1 at 7, 10.30 or 11pm, Friday 14 September 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

Does anyone know about a warning system that sends a SMS to phones? I heard something about it over dinner. From what I was told a cell tower in a warning area would send a signal to all phones that it was servicing. I don’t know if this is still in the works or is up and running or just BS.

Quakes rock Indonesia a second time

Associated Press

Published: 9/14/2007 12:31 AM

snip

Thailand's National Disaster Warning Center sent cell phone text messages alerting hundreds of officials in six southern provinces, and authorities also were told to prepare in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands.

snip

dailyherald.com

Indonesia: New tsunami warning

2007/9

3 minutes ago

PADANG, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake rocked western Indonesia on Friday, triggering the latest in a series of tsunami warnings that have rattled residents along the coast, the local meteorological agency said.

"This earthquake isn‘t big enough," said Randy Baldwin, a geophysicist with the USGS. "Generally it needs to be over 7.2 (magnitude)."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP‘s earlier story is below.

onelocalnews.com

Edited by Mid

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 0617Z 14 SEP 2007

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY

NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE

DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND

ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0602Z 14 SEP 2007

COORDINATES - 4.2 SOUTH 101.3 EAST

LOCATION - SOUTHERN SUMATRA INDONESIA

MAGNITUDE - 6.5

EVALUATION

A DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT DOES NOT EXIST BASED ON

HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - THERE IS A VERY SMALL POSSIBILITY OF A LOCAL TSUNAMI

THAT COULD AFFECT COASTS LOCATED USUALLY NO MORE THAN A HUNDRED

KILOMETERS FROM THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES IN THE

REGION NEAR THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE MADE AWARE OF THIS

POSSIBILITY.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED BY THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI

WARNING CENTER FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ISSUE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

FOR THIS EVENT. IN THE CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION...THE

MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

Indonesia: New tsunami warning

2007/9

3 minutes ago

PADANG, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake rocked western Indonesia on Friday, triggering the latest in a series of tsunami warnings that have rattled residents along the coast, the local meteorological agency said.

"This earthquake isn‘t big enough," said Randy Baldwin, a geophysicist with the USGS. "Generally it needs to be over 7.2 (magnitude)."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP‘s earlier story is below.

onelocalnews.com

Shows as 6.4. There's a huge cluster of earthquakes all around that area. Those 3 big ones and all kinds of 5's and 6's. Kinda troubling that it's not tailing off.