Mae Taeng Dam - All House Boats Are Not Created Equal !

batami

Based on a recommendation in the "Day Out" section my girlfirend and I went to the Mae Taeng Dam and Reservour last weekend. Our intention was to have a day out at one of the houseboats.

Cost: 70 ThB (20 ThB each plus 30ThB for car) to get into National Park, 200ThB each to get to Houseboat and back (400THB) plus 300 Thb for lunch and drinks.

Verdict: great idea for day out - or even long lazy afternoon.

However, if you do not book in advance or do not know which houseboat to be taken to you are playing the lottery with whether they are good or bad -- it's up to the guy driving the boat -- and we all know that that means you will end up at his mother's, his brother's, the guy who pays him the most etc etc.

And the one we stayed at certainly left a lot to be desired. The individual houseboats or rafts as they are also called, were a tatty, definitely in need of refurbishment; the manager(?) showed us the bed rooms and that convinced us NOT to stay the night - pretty filthy would be the most complimentary way to describe them. And the food was pretty awful - maybe next time we take our own??

It would be a great help if members could report their own findings and rank the houseboats / rafts ....

the one we stayed at was called, I think Rim Tam Pair (Pair being Thai for raft - I think) so give that a miss. If we can post any other info to help identify it we will.

there are two websites, which my girlfreind found later, which might be useful: http://www.rimdoiresort.com/hotel_resort.html and http://www.tsr-chiangmaimap.com/index.asp?...tentID=10000024 - but it is still a bit hit and miss.

We will continue to try to find a decent house boat - certainly there seemed to be some that looked more appealing from the water.

Conclusion - good place, much more research needed - find good houseboat and it could be a GREAT place

Anyone else care to contribute their findings - favorite houseboat, how to choose , etc etc

I think its 'Mae Ngat' dam isnt it? Most of the guest-houseboats are all in one big connected row and all charge the same, but did you see the other houseboat that is round the corner, in the next bay I suppose. You just have to go 30 seconds further in the boat to see it. It looks like its a lot higher standard, from the outside anyway. I forget the name but they have a shack advertising the place just before you walk down to where the boats leave.

You were lucky to get away without paying the 400 baht farang price for entrance to the National Park!

We went to Eakachai house boat last week. It seems to be the furthest from the boat dock---not much further than the others, but more private. The food was good to very good. We did not stay there, but I saw one of the rooms and it looked clean and reasonably comfortable. I would certainly go back. Phone number is 081 950 9420. Hope this helps. Neil

I think its 'Mae Ngat' dam isnt it? Most of the guest-houseboats are all in one big connected row and all charge the same, but did you see the other houseboat that is round the corner, in the next bay I suppose. You just have to go 30 seconds further in the boat to see it. It looks like its a lot higher standard, from the outside anyway. I forget the name but they have a shack advertising the place just before you walk down to where the boats leave.

You were lucky to get away without paying the 400 baht farang price for entrance to the National Park!

thanks for the info -- yes it is Mae Ngat you are correctm when we arrived at the Dam the guard asked if we lived in Chiang Mai to which the answer was yes, therefore he only charged us 40 x 2!! Some you win, some you lose!

Thanks again ........

I had a similar experience in Doi Tao recently. Went down there with my gf to spend the night. We took one look at the ratty looking houseboat & decided to just have dinner by the lake & find somewhere else to sleep. I've been to Mae Ngat as well. In fact I found the houseboat there a little more palatable & ended up spending the night. Didn't sleep too well though, thanks to high volume karaoke across the lake. And that's the key to the matter, I think. I don't believe that most Thais who go out to these places for the night are looking for a relaxation, peace & comfort. I think they want to get drunk & sing loudly. If that's your mission, then a clean, upscale houseboat is hardly necessary.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

There is one more houseboat on the lake that is located the furthest away in order to ensure privacy and quietness....i.e. no karaoke !

The 'Floating Cottage' is bookings only and caters mainly for guests that prefer to chill, swim or maybe do a spot of fishing.

There is a fish-farm if you like fresh BBQ fish but Vegetarians are also catered for.

Contact # is 0861853191.....

We stayed at Eckachai (sure I spelled it wrong) one night as well and we also stayed in the older place next to it a few times. I found the food in both places good. (if you like Thai food). One of them, I think it was Eckachai, had a lot of kids and a metal diving tower, about three meters high. The other place didn't have many kids, was older and basically empty, so we had the whole place pretty much to ourselves.

Neither one where very clean, for for Thailand, it was quite acceptable.

Mae Ngat Dam houseboats are on of our favorite overnight outings.

If you live here, get yourself a Residence Book for foreigners. Great since I got it. I only pay Thai prices anywhere. Thai drivers license works in a lot of places, too, but not everywhere.

Songkran will most likely be very busy, so I would make reservations ASAP, if it's not already too late.

• 1 month later...

Stayed overnight at Ekachai two weeks ago. Used to be quiet place to relax, read a book & eat food and drink beer. Now got a noisy Yank with a loud voice promoting his jetskis that buzz around all day making the place a waste of time for relaxation. The staff do not collect plates etc from outside your cabin after a meal so you get lots of flies & armies of ants. I wont go again.

Mae Ngat has pretty good fishing for jungle perch and Giant snakeheads if you have a boat and know where to go. The best fishing is just after daylight and in the evening. It is one of the prettier reservoirs in Thailand, with high cliffs and vine covered trees.

We stayed at Eckachai (sure I spelled it wrong) one night as well and we also stayed in the older place next to it a few times. I found the food in both places good. (if you like Thai food). One of them, I think it was Eckachai, had a lot of kids and a metal diving tower, about three meters high. The other place didn't have many kids, was older and basically empty, so we had the whole place pretty much to ourselves.

Neither one where very clean, for for Thailand, it was quite acceptable.

Mae Ngat Dam houseboats are on of our favorite overnight outings.

If you live here, get yourself a Residence Book for foreigners. Great since I got it. I only pay Thai prices anywhere. Thai drivers license works in a lot of places, too, but not everywhere.

Songkran will most likely be very busy, so I would make reservations ASAP, if it's not already too late.

Thanks fir the advice but how do you get a Residence Book for foreigners ?

Hi,

There is one more houseboat on the lake that is located the furthest away in order to ensure privacy and quietness....i.e. no karaoke !

The 'Floating Cottage' is bookings only and caters mainly for guests that prefer to chill, swim or maybe do a spot of fishing.

There is a fish-farm if you like fresh BBQ fish but Vegetarians are also catered for.

Contact # is 0861853191.....

I have never been there, but I bookmarked the link sometime ago as a possible thing to do;

http://www.floating-cottage.com/

If it was Mae Ngat reservoir here area few views of that lovely lake

Northern_Thai_lake_10.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_3.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_8.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_11.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_12.jpg

• 2 years later...

the floating cottage was run by Tom and Kitty Delaney - so Farang standards are applied. I heard that Tom has been ill, so I don't know if the houseboat is operating at the moment. I don't have conact details for Tom junior, but I've got his

Mum and Dad's email. If you PM me, I'll pass it on.

We stayed at Eckachai a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our night there. Ian forbes' pictures tell it all. It is as the posters on this thread a couple of years ago point out, rather hit and miss - pure tranquility or pure hell if you get stuck with a group of drunken Thais with the Karaoke on full blast. As has been suggested, midweek is likely to be quieter,

Thanks Pedr. If you could Pm me their email address, I'll get in touch later today.

We were planning on going this weekend but with the amount of people in Chiang Mai at the moment and the fact it's a public holiday we aren't sure if there will be anything available. Are there any other houseboats in the area, other than Mae Ngat? Or any similar places suitable for a group of friends to spend the night, just incase Mae Ngat is fully booked?

Cheers

Eakachai, the return long tail boat trip is 500bht added to your final bill, for as many people as you can get on it. I would think 10 easily, maybe 14.

I have never seen the rooms more than 10% full, about 200bht a night for a small room.

There are also some superior standalone rooms on a platform to themselves.

their web site

Edited by ludditeman

Also stayed at Eckachai last year. 5 adults and 3 kids plus 2 dogs in a long boat. It is so beautiful out there. The rooms were great, huge comfortable beds, the restaurant was fine, rental kayak great fun and a good place for a very long swim across to the other side and back. They also have high diving boards to jump off and life-preservers for the not so good swimmers. I'd recommend to bring a book or playing cards as there is limited things to do, and of course we brought our own food to eat too. We think one night is enough there esp. since it's not a far drive. We decided that next time we would try a different place to stay as the people there we not very friendly, we actually felt like we were bothering them by staying there. They also decided to rip up the dock in front of our room while we stayed there, leaving dangerous tools, holes after they took out boards and the boards w/nails sticking out for my kids to navigate around to get to the water, never the less the racket they made one meter from our room. Basically they rented us a room and then turned it into a construction site for the few hrs. we had in the morning there. But anyhow well worth visiting Mae Ngat where one feels so far away from the rest of the world, it's like a paradise!

pic #1 - the boys and I kayaking, is this place amazing or what?

pic #2- the beautiful view from our room (and where they did construction)

post-101742-0-43081700-1322815564_thumb.

post-101742-0-27208000-1322815574_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

the floating cottage was run by Tom and Kitty Delaney - so Farang standards are applied. I heard that Tom has been ill, so I don't know if the houseboat is operating at the moment. I don't have conact details for Tom junior, but I've got his

Mum and Dad's email. If you PM me, I'll pass it on.

We stayed at Eckachai a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our night there. Ian forbes' pictures tell it all. It is as the posters on this thread a couple of years ago point out, rather hit and miss - pure tranquility or pure hell if you get stuck with a group of drunken Thais with the Karaoke on full blast. As has been suggested, midweek is likely to be quieter,

Of course there is nothing like this at the "elephant camp river", named by the OP. This is Mae Ngat or Gnat (depending on which map or farang you see) and many people must be missing this lovely place due to the utterly inaccurate name, somehow remaining uncorrected on this thread for years. What a shame, this is a unique gem of northern Thailand.

Farangs: approach the entrance (national park office) with a merry smile and a work permit, social welfare card or Thai driving licence to get the Thai entry price. Never had a problem with that.

But beware some of the rascally boatmen and their pricing!

Some of the consistently best Thai food around here is at the large 2 storey restaurant on the bank, close to the park office, ie on your left as you go towards the boats. Good value - great food.

junglechef, nice account and pictures. Can't wait to go there in Jan or Feb. Jan may be too cold?

That kayak looks nice. The last and first time I paddled a kayak with my wife in one, and our 2 kids on another. Our kids were laughing at us. Why? Their mother was always paddling on the wrong side. When needed to go right, she paddled on her right! Well, can't say she's simple-minded, after all, she has kept her husband for decades since we married when barely an adult.

• 2 months later...

If it was Mae Ngat reservoir here area few views of that lovely lake

Northern_Thai_lake_10.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_3.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_8.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_11.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_12.jpg

WOW, fantastic photos. Would you mind if I used a few of those on a couple of boating forums I've posted such ides to about a Thai style cottage/houseboat

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/5554-bali-thai-style-houseboat.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/retirement-houseboat-floating-home-23987-2.html#post420954

regards, brian

• 3 months later...

Had a nice day at Eakachai, 500 baht round trip for the boat and about 350 baht for lunch for me, my wife and daugther. The water was very comfortable for swimming. Found out that Mr. Eakachai is the mafia boss of the houseboat owners, controlling new construction and renovations, that's why his place is the nicest.