Flight OG269: At Least 88 Bodies Found At Phuket Airport Crash Site

george

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the witnesses was interviewed by CNN and had just arrived on the flight prior to OG269. He commented that he had missed taking the fated flight because he had left from Suvarnabhumi rather than Don Muang, and that in Bangkok people just turned up for these local flights at the airport. This statement surprised me, as I thought most if not all of these flights had to be pre-booked, (especially on the low cost airlines). CNN then reported this as a lucky escape for this passenger, but I' not sure this is actually how these operations work here. Anyone know?

I thought you could turn up at the airport for standby flights in any country?

Especially on these kind of routes it is common. There are probably about 20 flights a day, so it's easy to get a seat unless you are in group.

Contradictory reports

By South East Asia Correpondent Karen Percy

Posted 1 hour 4 minutes ago

Updated 58 minutes ago

snip

Eyewitnesses and survivors have described heavy rain and violent winds as the aircraft headed in to Phuket airport yesterday.

But there are some contradictory reports in the local media saying visibility was fine.

Air traffic controllers say the pilot circled for some time before attempting to land, but he changed his mind on approach and tried to take off again.

The tail of the plane hit the ground, causing the plane to skid across the runway, hitting trees and an embankment.

It broke in two and caught fire. Most of the dead and injured suffered burns.

abc.net.au

............ ............. .............. ................... ................. ..................

PM affirms Thailand meets air standards

Monday 17 September 2007 02:19:38 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Sept 17 (TNA) - Meeting with relatives of some of the victims of Sunday's Phuket air disaster, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont on Monday affirmed that Thailand's aviation standards are entirely in accord with international standards.

The One-Two-Go Airlines disaster is the worst air travel incident in the country in nearly 10 years.

The premier told the families that the Thai authorities are awaiting data from the McDonnell-Dounglas MD-82's two flight recorder black boxes for further explanation of the circumstances of the crash. He offered sympathy and support to families of the victims.

Ninety persons were left dead, including 55 foreigners from a number of countries. Only some 40 of 123 passengers survived the incident.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited

But there are some contradictory reports in the local media saying visibility was fine.
There are? All reports I've seen have been consistent, there was some discussion yesterday about a short quiet period, but none suggesting the weather conditions were anything else but complex.

Regards

The monsoons bring blinding rain and freak gusts of wind

Andrew Drummond in Bangkok

From The Times

September 17, 2007

The monsoon in Thailand can produce blinding rain, gusts and sudden changes of wind direction, something that many passengers report on arrival in Phuket at this time of year.

The airport’s single 3,000-metre runway is big enough to take 747s and runs east to west across the northern narrow tip of the island. Pilots approach from the sea and, if they overshoot, end in the sea at the other end.

Yesterday’s Flight 0G 269 was landing east to west from the direction of Phangna Bay and James Bond Island. It was heading into a nine-knot wind with visibility at 3,000ft and cloud cover down to 1,500ft — not unusual for this time of year. However, monsoon conditions are notorious for sudden changes of wind direction.

snip

timesonline.co.uk

The report that the plane was approaching from the east (Phang Na bay) means that the accident occured after the pilot turned to the right-hand-side of the runway. But additionally, this location is actually quite near to the start of the runway when approaching from the east. That must mean that the plane was still travelling fast when it veered off the runway, since the wreckage is located only a few hundred metres from the east end of the runway.

Simon

Terrible Disaster....

Does anyone have the latest on when Phuket Airport will reopen?

Was due to fly into Phuket from Penang yesterday at 19:30 with Firefly; flight was cancelled while we were in the departure lounge.

I am now in stuck in Penang and need to figure out whether there will be any flights into Phuket today, or whether I should try and get back via another route.

Any information would be appreciated.

They are trying to re-open the airport around 5pm, still a lot of people and vehicles on the runway who are working to clean up.

Gerd

thai-2.jpg

thai-1.jpg

thai-6.jpg

thai-4.jpg

thai-5.jpg

thai-3.jpg

The type of plane:

thai-9.jpg

Swedish news says: Apart from the 2 survivors (that was seated next to the emergency doors), 2 other Swedish names was on the flight manifest. One is found and confirmed dead (a woman). Other still unaccounted for.

This Airline should be closed down. Foreign embassies whose nationals have lost their lives should demand an external investigation into the operation of the particular Airline. Shonky operations indeed. This accident is no surprise.

The black box will be sent to the United States for analysis. Isn't there always an external investigation after plane crashes?

I don't know much about the airline's safety policies, but as I understand it seems like unfortunate weather conditions were the main contributing factor to this accident.

The thing which troubles many here I think is the risk that the hidden factors, such as the management ethos and approach to matters pertaining to crew morale, efficiency, and ensuring safety of the airframe may not form part of any investigation. The proximate cause may well be established but not any contributory pressures which are implicit in the record of this carrier.

Regards

Has anyone heard of NTSB has been invited and is in Phuket to investigate this? They certainly have the most experience and credibility of any air crash investigative body on earth. That would be in the best interests of all involved to have this independently investigated.

I mentioned last night that NTSB may be invited, since the aircraft is of US manufacture. It is normal these days and I believe that NTSB has stated that they will assist.

From CNN:

The National Transportation Safety Board will assist the Thai government in the investigation, according to a statement on the NTSB's Web site. Both the NTSB and the Federal Aviation Administration usually deploy investigators to crash sites involving U.S.-made aircraft.

NTSB Chairman Mark V. Rosenker has designated investigator Jill Andrews as the U.S. Accredited Representative. She will be accompanied by representatives from the Federal Aviation Administration, Boeing, and Pratt & Whitney.

Regards

/edit add quotes//

Edited by A_Traveller

Has anyone heard of NTSB has been invited and is in Phuket to investigate this? They certainly have the most experience and credibility of any air crash investigative body on earth. That would be in the best interests of all involved to have this independently investigated.

The National Transportation Safety Board will assist the Thai government in the investigation, according to a statement on the NTSB's Web site.

Both the NTSB and the Federal Aviation Administration usually deploy investigators to crash sites involving U.S.-made aircraft.

Govt warns Orient Thai on insurance

The Department of Insurance cautioned Orient Thai Airlines this morning that it is fully responsible for compensating victims involved in the crash of Flight OG269 at Phuket, Radio Thailand reported.

News reports have said that Orient Thai has said it carried no insurance on the fatal flight, but promised to compensate Thai victims and their families.

But Radio Thailand's report quoted the Director General of the Department of Insurance, Chanthra Booranarik, as saying Orient Thai Airlines, also known as One-Two-Go Airlines, is responsible for paying for medical expenses and compensation to all victims of the One-Two-Go flight.

Mrs Chanthra affirmed her agency will coordinate in expediting aid to crash victims.

She said regulations were clear: Global civil aviation protocol dictates that airlines must properly insure their aircrafts and passengers onboard.

Orient Thai Airlines is reported to have leased Flight OG 269 from a foreign company, and has procured full insurance for the plane and its passengers, therefore the airline is capable of reimbursing air crash victims for medical treatment and other expenses.

Mrs Chanthra added that if passengers involved in the air crash feel that they are being treated unjustly, they are welcomed to contact the Department of Insurance at 1186, the Radio Thailand report said.

Orient Thai Airlines chief executive officer Udom Tantiprasongchai has also promised to compensate the victims and injured.

Bangkok Post

If the news reports of Orient Thai only promising to compensate Thai victims are true then that is shocking. At least Director General of the Department of Insurance, Chanthra Booranarik has put the record straight that they are responsible for all passengers.

Hi

Just to clarify the insurance position... One 2 go insurers are responsible for settling all legitimate insurance costs, bearing in mind the policy limits will be for many hundreds of millions and involve insurers world wide the lead underwriter (i.e the insurer who determines the rates) and who in all probability is London based will appoint an adjuster and establish an initial fund to meet immediate needs which will then be topped up as and when necessary.

The adjuster will be responsible for settling the claims and One 2" Go involvement will be minimal.

One of the reasons for purchasing insurance is that should an incident occur then a professional is there to handle all negotiations and settle awards whilst the assured continues to run their business as normally as possible.

TBWG :o

String of crashes in Asia raises concerns about airline safety

September 17, 2007

JAKARTA (AP): Dozens of new air carriers have been popping up across Asia to meet the industry's booming demand, but a string of deadly accidents has raised fresh concerns about safety - from pilot shortages to the quality of budget airlines.

The Indonesian pilot of the One-Two-Go Airlines plane that crash-landed on Thailand's resort island of Phuket - one of 90 people to die on Sunday - was among scores who have fled their home countries in recent years for better paying jobs with cut-price carriers.

The former Air Force pilot worked for two now-defunct airlines in Indonesia, including one owned by former dictator Suharto's son, according to a colleague, who said he was not authorized to speak to the press

snip

thejakartapost.com

Phuket Airport reopens

PHUKET: -- The Phuket International Airport reopened Monday afternoon with the first flight of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and entourage.

The Airbus 317 of the Air Force with Surayud on board touched down at the Phuket Airport at 4:40 pm.

-- The Nation 2007-09-17

I will be the first to admit I dont know much about aircraft safety.

On the other hand, I would not feel safe flying in a 24 year old plane, in poor weather conditions, especially one that is doing 6 round trips on the same route every day. Can it really be that safe?

What does the crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 have to do with yesterday's? Between 1985 to 1996 Alaska Airlines progressively increased the period in between jackscrew lubrication as well as end play checks with the approval of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). So who is at fault - the airline or the FAA?

All talk of poor maintenance and flight 261 have no bearing and are irrelevant.

What does the crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 have to do with yesterday's? Between 1985 to 1996 Alaska Airlines progressively increased the period in between jackscrew lubrication as well as end play checks with the approval of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). So who is at fault - the airline or the FAA?

All talk of poor maintenance and flight 261 have no bearing and are irrelevant.

The point is merely to call attention to the jackscrew lubrication issue and query whether Orient-Thai was doing this within the prescribed new intervals.

*and to call attention to the design deficiency of the MD80/82 of having a single point of failure potential with no fail safe mechanism, merely relying on maintenance alone.

Edited by chinthee

On the other hand, I would not feel safe flying in a 24 year old plane, in poor weather conditions, especially one that is doing 6 round trips on the same route every day. Can it really be that safe?

The point is: HOW can you tell when you pre-book a ticket ? :o

LaoPo

I will be the first to admit I dont know much about aircraft safety.

The plane was 12-year-old (I'm think the sources suggesting 24 year-old are wrong).

Is flying safe? Statistically speaking it is one of the safest places to be. About 25.000 Thai people die in traffic accidents per year. This accident claiming about 90 lifes was the worst one in 10 years.

What about budget airlines? I don't know, but it doesn't appear like budget airlines are involved in many more accidents than expensive ones. Mind that SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) was involved in two accidents just last week.

Global Aerospace lead underwriter for crashed Thai plane - source

Published : Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:03

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - UK-based aviation underwriter Global Aerospace is the lead insurer for the McDonnell Douglas M82 which crashed at Phuket airport in Thailand yesterday, insurance industry sources told Thomson Financial News.

snip

abcmoney.co.uk