Bkk To Nongkhai

samran

Hi all,

the map says 600 odd KM from BKK to Nong Khai. I am guessing it can be done in about 6.5 hours with one pitstop if the roads are similar to the ones between Udon and Nong Khai. Door to door, probably the same time as catching a plane (ie get to the airport, check in, wait, fly to udon,wait for bags, wait for minibus to Nong Khai....)

What do you think?

The 6.5 hours "sounds" about rght, depending on number and length of pitstops (and speed of course). Bangkok to Korat around 2.5 to 3 hours and Korat to Nong Khai 3 to 3.5 hours. My guess anyways....it's all divided highway driving, even Udon to Nong Khai. :o

If the police are out, you will have to stop several times and slip them 100 baht. My last trip up from Pattaya I got stopped four times. As soon as you pay them, you are free to go and if you are in a hurry, you can hand it to them immediately and they won't even bother telling you which law you were breaking.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

If you make it in less than seven and a half hours, you'll have made good time indeed. In fact eight hours is pretty good. It is mostly decent four lane highways but there are ALWAYS delays of some sort. The stretch through Saraburi is supposedly the most dangerous stretch of highway in Thailand so you won't want to go sailing through there.

If you make it in less than seven and a half hours, you'll have made good time indeed. In fact eight hours is pretty good. It is mostly decent four lane highways but there are ALWAYS delays of some sort. The stretch through Saraburi is supposedly the most dangerous stretch of highway in Thailand so you won't want to go sailing through there.

agree gary

agree gary

Seconded.

cheers, may do a stop over then say in Khon Kaen over night. Was hoping to leave work Friday mid afteroon and be there around 10pm. As an Australian, you do these things!

Sofitel KK is 2500 per night, might spoil myself and keep safe!

Thanks for the info!

I regularly drive Bkk to Khao Suan Kwang (half way between KK and Udon Thani)

Average time 6 hours +

Add 1 - 1 1/2 hours to Nong Khai

Depends on what time you leave Bkk, and your driving style (i.e sane or jet pilot)

Leaving Bkk mid afternoon, traffic will be heavy. The run to Saraburi alone could take a lot longer.

Traffic will be heavier until late evening, so you will get a lot of holdups.

Allow 7 1/2 to 8 hours if you go straight through.

A stop in KK would make it a pleasant trip.

Have fun...

If the police are out, you will have to stop several times and slip them 100 baht. My last trip up from Pattaya I got stopped four times. As soon as you pay them, you are free to go and if you are in a hurry, you can hand it to them immediately and they won't even bother telling you which law you were breaking.

Chuckd

I'm not sure what side of the road you drive on in Thailand but your statement is running on empty with me.

If the police are out, what the hel_l does that mean?

Slip them 100 baht I think your flapping with this also, the minimum is to get out of your vehicle and walk back to a duty office and pay your fine which was written out by the officer that questioned you through the window of your vehicle.

I hope westerns that are thinking of driving North don’t start passing 100bht notes out the window as they enter road spot check. Please don’t listen to this poor advice, it’s just not true. Chuckd has missed the big picture here.

If you receive a ticket there will be a reason don’t think for one minute that you’re above the law or the law gives you a ticket because you are a Round EYE, it’s the complete opposite when driving in Thailand be very careful drive to survive follow the rules set an example.

If you don’t have a driving license being Thai / International you will get a ticket, if your registration / insurance of vehicle is out of date same rule fair enough or what.

Mobile speed traps area’s are every ware on the highways, a standard sting is a plain marked car parked on the side of the road 2-3 km back up the road before you enter the police road block they already know which car they are going to pull over and why.

Most drivers get pinch here.

If you feel you’re in the right with the situation remain clam and see what happens if you can prove the above you won’t have anything to worry about they will do there checks whether its license, registration, load, personnel, drinking, speeding, loud music, lights or just not keeping left is away a good one and so on.

If you adhere to this, nine times out of ten it’s never a ticket only a wave.

Regards

C-sip

@ Twatchatour, with one re-build Bus engines under are belts.

cheers.

just booked the novotel in KK for an overnight pitstop.

as for me, well I'm half Thai. The only fines I've gotten I deserve. If the copper wants to try it on me, he can, but they've never one before. I'm good at wasting peoples time in thai, or english.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuckd

I'm not sure what side of the road you drive on in Thailand but your statement is running on empty with me.

Slip them 100 baht I think your flapping with this also, the minimum is to get out of your vehicle and walk back to a duty office and pay your fine which was written out by the officer that questioned you through the window of your vehicle.

I hope westerns that are thinking of driving North don’t start passing 100bht notes out the window as they enter road spot check. Please don’t listen to this poor advice, it’s just not true. Chuckd has missed the big picture here.

If you receive a ticket there will be a reason don’t think for one minute that you’re above the law or the law gives you a ticket because you are a Round EYE, it’s the complete opposite when driving in Thailand be very careful drive to survive follow the rules set an example.

If you don’t have a driving license being Thai / International you will get a ticket, if your registration / insurance of vehicle is out of date same rule fair enough or what.

Mobile speed traps area’s are every ware on the highways, a standard sting is a plain marked car parked on the side of the road 2-3 km back up the road before you enter the police road block they already know which car they are going to pull over and why.

If you feel you’re in the right with the situation remain clam and see what happens if you can prove the above you won’t have anything to worry about they will do there checks whether its license, registration, load, personnel, drinking, speeding, loud music, lights or just not keeping left is away a good one and so on.

Regards

C-sip

Dear Mr. Degree:

I don't know what planet you live on but you have obviously never driven on the highways in Thailand. Does C-sip refer to your IQ?

Mr. Degree is correct in stating that these are speed traps, set up with UNmarked vehicles hidden behind trees, signs, walls, etc., to nab the unwary driver. He is incorrect in advising you to get out of your vehicle and stroll nonchalantly back to the police officer. In the first place, the nice policeman will be standing at your vehicle window when you stop. There is no strolling anywhere except by the policeman.

The actual scenario will go something like this. The nice policeman will immediately walk up to your vehicle window and ask for your drivers license, WHICH I DO HAVE BY THE WAY. You will hand it to him and he will then ask for your passport, which I do have as well. I normally don't let him get his hands on this document but show him the photo page and the visa page to satisfy him that I am legally in country. He may then ask for the vehicle documents which are in order and are handed over. He will then proceed to tell you what your offense is and will then suggest you can either pay him here or go to the local police station several hours later to pay considerably more than he is requesting to clear the fine and obtain your documents.

All the time you are going through this, other cars are being stopped for only 10-30 seconds and then driving off after the nice policeman calls at their vehicle window. I was curious about this and assumed they knew something I didn't know. As it turns out, they did.

To continue with the story of the typical stop...after receiving the explanation from the policeman, my wife then asks how much will it cost to settle the issue on the spot and pay the fine. They will ask for 200 baht (this has happened to me five times and each time they start out with 200 baht). My wife generally tells them we will only pay 100 and they are happy with this. I give them 100, he hands me my driver's license and vehicle papers and we drive merrily away.

I drove from my home in Pattaya to my new home in Nong Bua Lumphu in early August. On this trip, I was stopped FOUR (4) times by the highway patrol. the first two stops went the way as described above, with my wife arguing and the later subsequent payment of 100 baht to the policeman. The third stop, she asked what we had done wrong. After he explained my infraction, I just showed the 100 baht in my hand, below the window level. The policeman reached in, took the money and said, thank you very much, you are free to go. The last time, I handed the policeman the 100 baht as soon as he walked up to the window and he never even told me what my offense was. He just said to go, and then he walked away, awaiting his next victim.

And THAT, dear sir, is exactly why the cars at the other stops were released so quickly. They gave the policeman the money and drove off. They were Thai drivers. I was the dumb ROUNDEYE that tried to do it the Western way.

The offenses I had allegedly committed were 114 in a 110 zone, 109 in a 100 zone, driving in the right hand lane when not overtaking and the mysterious stop when only money, and no information, changed hands.

In your opening statement, you state you are not even sure what side of the road I drive on in Thailand. I suggest you find out some fundamental information about driving in Thailand before you call somebody who has done it for 30 years a liar.

If you drivers out there want to do it Mr. 20Degree's way, then enjoy your stay waiting to get your driver's license back and then pay more money to do so.

Do it my way and save yourself some grief.

I have never been stopped unless I have actually done something wrong. I have always paid the officer (after he explained what law I violated) the amount requested which has always been 100 baht. He has always taken the money from me while I sat in my car. I have never had to get out and walk anywhere to make the money transfer. Since I started following the law more carefully I have never been stopped and I have never offered money at check points to avoid being stopped.

Chownah

P.S. All my driving has been done in the north so maybe the "customs" are different in other areas.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I didn't claim I was innocent. In all cases I had been driving the speed at which I was charged. One thing we were never able to understand was the speed limit of 110 on one stretch of highway and then 100 on the same stretch of highway some 50 kilometers later.

When we questioned this, we merely got a very mysterious smile.

As far as driving on the right hand side when not overtaking...I had done this as well. The slow lane had been virtually destroyed by truck traffic and I was not driving over there. I was in the passing lane.

What I am claiming is the highway patrol on the stretch of road from Pattaya to near Udorn will pull you over. You can either settle the problem on the spot for 100 baht (or less, my wife tells me) or you can do what 40 degree recommends and try to westernize the police. I choose to go with the Thai way of doing things.

One other thing. I have noticed the highway patrol speed traps seem to be more frequent just before government paydays.

Edited by chuckd

Well you can save a 100 baht between Udon and Nong Khia there is always a check point operating. I suppose you could give them a 100 baht I think they would like that, but they want to see your drivers license and make sure the vehicle fees have been paid.

In five years of driving here in Issan I have never paid a bribe. I did in Bangkok once but I ran a red light and I knew it.

In going from Korat through the mountains to Pattaya there is a very active check point, they say you passed in correctly not many don't since you are over taking a slow trucks on a uphill grade. I was with another driver who got stopped at one of these, the explained to him what he did he reponded no I didn't. The normal spill went on and the driver told the cop no I'm not going to give you money. The cop said well help us with lunch at least. The driver had his drivers license in his hand told the cop no rolled up the window and drove off. Nothing happened but I don't think I would try it :o

Watch the cars on the other side of the road you see a lot of flashing lights they are telling eachother there is Police Checkpoint ahead.

Once you get past Khan Kean you won't see a lot of check points. The last one I remember was between Korat and Khan Kean. But I don't travle these roads often so things me be very different now.

Lots of activity between Korat and Khon Kaen and I have seen one in the mountains as well.

I also saw one just before Udorn coming from Nong Bua Lamphu but I sneaked by.

I made two round trips between Pattaya and NBL and had the pleasure of donating to the highway road tax the princely sum of 600 baht in August. That's six different police checks for six different infractions, in case you need any help figuring it out there, 40Degree.

One of the problems I have is, I work in Saudi and traffic here goes at a terribly fast pace. It is not unusual for me to set my cruise control at 160 kph when on the highway. I am used to driving at something more than 110 kph when I get on the highway. Of course, the highway infrastructure here is much better than LOS so you can do it and, often, get away with it. I've been caught a few times and I would NEVER offer a bribe here.

In LOS, I just consider it the police benevolent fund. Somebody has to pay for all those mia nois!

Chuckd

Regards

C-sip

Dear Mr. Degree:

I don't know what planet you live on but you have obviously never driven on the highways in Thailand. Does C-sip refer to your IQ?

Mr. Degree is correct in stating that these are speed traps, set up with UNmarked vehicles hidden behind trees, signs, walls, etc., to nab the unwary driver. He is incorrect in advising you to get out of your vehicle and stroll nonchalantly back to the police officer. In the first place, the nice policeman will be standing at your vehicle window when you stop. There is no strolling anywhere except by the policeman.

The actual scenario will go something like this. The nice policeman will immediately walk up to your vehicle window and ask for your drivers license, WHICH I DO HAVE BY THE WAY. You will hand it to him and he will then ask for your passport, which I do have as well. I normally don't let him get his hands on this document but show him the photo page and the visa page to satisfy him that I am legally in country. He may then ask for the vehicle documents which are in order and are handed over. He will then proceed to tell you what your offense is and will then suggest you can either pay him here or go to the local police station several hours later to pay considerably more than he is requesting to clear the fine and obtain your documents.

All the time you are going through this, other cars are being stopped for only 10-30 seconds and then driving off after the nice policeman calls at their vehicle window. I was curious about this and assumed they knew something I didn't know. As it turns out, they did.

To continue with the story of the typical stop...after receiving the explanation from the policeman, my wife then asks how much will it cost to settle the issue on the spot and pay the fine. They will ask for 200 baht (this has happened to me five times and each time they start out with 200 baht). My wife generally tells them we will only pay 100 and they are happy with this. I give them 100, he hands me my driver's license and vehicle papers and we drive merrily away.

I drove from my home in Pattaya to my new home in Nong Bua Lumphu in early August. On this trip, I was stopped FOUR (4) times by the highway patrol. the first two stops went the way as described above, with my wife arguing and the later subsequent payment of 100 baht to the policeman. The third stop, she asked what we had done wrong. After he explained my infraction, I just showed the 100 baht in my hand, below the window level. The policeman reached in, took the money and said, thank you very much, you are free to go. The last time, I handed the policeman the 100 baht as soon as he walked up to the window and he never even told me what my offense was. He just said to go, and then he walked away, awaiting his next victim.

And THAT, dear sir, is exactly why the cars at the other stops were released so quickly. They gave the policeman the money and drove off. They were Thai drivers. I was the dumb ROUNDEYE that tried to do it the Western way.

The offenses I had allegedly committed were 114 in a 110 zone, 109 in a 100 zone, driving in the right hand lane when not overtaking and the mysterious stop when only money, and no information, changed hands.

In your opening statement, you state you are not even sure what side of the road I drive on in Thailand. I suggest you find out some fundamental information about driving in Thailand before you call somebody who has done it for 30 years a liar.

If you drivers out there want to do it Mr. 20Degree's way, then enjoy your stay waiting to get your driver's license back and then pay more money to do so.

Do it my way and save yourself some grief.

Chuckd

I’m going the let the first sentence pass over as I’m sure this is only road rage coming-out.

Might pay to read the post correctly first off.

I’m sure there are hundred of situation happing my main point is to try not to make a habit of just passing money out the window. ‘Take it or not’.

If you have been doing this ‘Your way’ for the last 30 years, we all thank you for contributing to utter kayos with your elaborate way.

I will stand by my post that once you have received a ticket from the Officer you will have to get out of your vehicle after you have moved it to the side of the road, then walk back to a tent/deck set-up and pay an Officer. ‘Correct way no bribe money herel' Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

I’m not too worried about your pros and con’s driving around Thailand myself but please don’t start driving between Selaphum and Roi-et ‘as I travel on this road frequently’ spot checks most days of the week, and with your elaborate scheme of slipping them a quick hundred out the window as the officer walks up to your truck window your creating a hand-out environment un-necessary for are area in Isaan.

I do laugh about your offense allegedly committed (driving in the right hand-lane when not overtaking) and then you flame me about stating what side of the road driving on etc nice one there.

I was amazed with Phuket one time after driving there at how much the money did talk and can only assume Pattaya would be similar. (regrets) My head becomes lowered and my hand regretfully reaches into my pocket (agreed)

BKK to Nongkhai and Isaan areas, I’ve never received a ticket been through heaps of road checks and am not about to start given hand-out (IF POSSIBLE) even if it does postpone my travel from A to B for 30minutes plus.

Don’t get me wrong either, if I’m in the wrong and the ticket is given, sure I pay the fine with-out hesitation.

I’ve worn out a complete set of tires on my pick-up truck, been around a while myself, employ two Thai drivers, own and operate a small Tour bus company (number plates started with 30, and 10, if your in the ‘know’)

So folks take what you want out of this post as its a free world and things aren’t set in concrete in the Kingdom as we all know.

But Chuckd says ‘Do it Mr. 20 Degrees way’

I can’t recall saying anything about doing it (my way) but did advise to be very careful, drive to survive, follow the rules and set an example in Thailand and dropped a big hint saying if you feel you’re in the right with the situation remain clam and see what happens, if you adhere to road rules etc, nine times out of ten it’s never a ticket just a wave on through after the spot check.

I can’t recall calling you a liar either, with your 30 years experience of driving in the Kingdom there Chuckd but I will advise you that C-Sip stand’s for 40 and Degree is the alcohol percentage from the Lao Kaaw bottle (it’s a kind-of- joke)

So number 4 sounds like C in the Thai language not 2 and the Sip is the ten's part.

I could refer to your opening sentence here and add more comments plus then start revving you up about your post name and what you do with 100 bht notes.

But enough, if you feel that this needs to continue and you would like to crack the whip on me some more feel free to do so. (Or if you like I will give you my mobile number)

It’s unfortunate about your experiences driving in Thailand, but I think we all have to avoid tea money and avoid creating the concept, ( the best we can) in the Kingdom.

Time for a beer, cheers Chuckd have a good day.

Regards

C-Sip

Chuckd

I’m going the let the first sentence pass over as I’m sure this is only road rage coming-out.

Might pay to read the post correctly first off.

I’m sure there are hundred of situation happing my main point is to try not to make a habit of just passing money out the window. ‘Take it or not’.

If you have been doing this ‘Your way’ for the last 30 years, we all thank you for contributing to utter kayos with your elaborate way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuckd says:

I believe the word you are seeking is "chaos". Maybe "confusion" might be a better fit for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will stand by my post that once you have received a ticket from the Officer you will have to get out of your vehicle after you have moved it to the side of the road, then walk back to a tent/deck set-up and pay an Officer. ‘Correct way no bribe money herel' Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chuckd responds:

There is no misunderstanding on my part. I have yet to see a police stop where traffic tickets were actually issued. The charges are explained and the driver is given the option of either paying the fine on the spot or going to the police station later to pay the fine and collect the license and other documents being held. If you have a copy of an actually issued ticket, why not scan it so we can all see what one looks like. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not too worried about your pros and con’s driving around Thailand myself but please don’t start driving between Selaphum and Roi-et ‘as I travel on this road frequently’ spot checks most days of the week, and with your elaborate scheme of slipping them a quick hundred out the window as the officer walks up to your truck window your creating a hand-out environment un-necessary for are area in Isaan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chuckd retorts:

I don't drive a "truck". Got me a nice little sedan. My elaborate scheme of slipping them a quick 100 is nothing more than a simple bribe after I am caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Nothing more or less than that. I don't know why you are having such trouble comprehending this. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do laugh about your offense allegedly committed (driving in the right hand-lane when not overtaking) and then you flame me about stating what side of the road driving on etc nice one there.

chuckd explains in slow motion:

OK, 40D, I am typing this very slowly so you can understand.

In Thailand the steering wheel on your motorcar is on the right side. Are you with me so far?

Since your steering wheel is on the right side of said motorcar, you will be driving on the left side of the road. Have I lost you yet?

If you are driving on the left side of the road, the passing lane or overtaking lane is the inside lane or right hand lane. Of course, I am certain you have already understood this will apply to divided highways only. You still with us, bucko?

Therefore since you are supposed to drive in the slow lane (left) and you do not drive in that lane but you drive in the right hand lane when you are not overtaking, you have violated the law yet again!

Complicated, I know. The only other way I can explain it is to draw a diagram but I am, sadly, not knowledgeable enough to affix the chart to this thread. You will merely have to try and comprehend via the written word. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was amazed with Phuket one time after driving there at how much the money did talk and can only assume Pattaya would be similar. (regrets) My head becomes lowered and my hand regretfully reaches into my pocket (agreed)

BKK to Nongkhai and Isaan areas, I’ve never received a ticket been through heaps of road checks and am not about to start given hand-out (IF POSSIBLE) even if it does postpone my travel from A to B for 30minutes plus.

Don’t get me wrong either, if I’m in the wrong and the ticket is given, sure I pay the fine with-out hesitation.

I’ve worn out a complete set of tires on my pick-up truck, been around a while myself, employ two Thai drivers, own and operate a small Tour bus company (number plates started with 30, and 10, if your in the ‘know’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chuckd asks:

So, you're the one driving that old beat up pick up truck with bald tires? :o

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So folks take what you want out of this post as its a free world and things aren’t set in concrete in the Kingdom as we all know.

But Chuckd says ‘Do it Mr. 20 Degrees way’

I can’t recall saying anything about doing it (my way) but did advise to be very careful, drive to survive, follow the rules and set an example in Thailand and dropped a big hint saying if you feel you’re in the right with the situation remain clam and see what happens, if you adhere to road rules etc, nine times out of ten it’s never a ticket just a wave on through after the spot check.

I can’t recall calling you a liar either, with your 30 years experience of driving in the Kingdom there Chuckd but I will advise you that C-Sip stand’s for 40 and Degree is the alcohol percentage from the Lao Kaaw bottle (it’s a kind-of- joke)

So number 4 sounds like C in the Thai language not 2 and the Sip is the ten's part.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chuckd sighs and says:

I suggest you read the short post after my long one you so laboriously quoted here. I already said I knew C Sip is 40. Sorry to bust that little bubble for you. :bah:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could refer to your opening sentence here and add more comments plus then start revving you up about your post name and what you do with 100 bht notes.

But enough, if you feel that this needs to continue and you would like to crack the whip on me some more feel free to do so. (Or if you like I will give you my mobile number)

chuckd advises:

Thanks for the offer of your mobile number. Unfortunately I don't need a bus ride today. :D

It’s unfortunate about your experiences driving in Thailand, but I think we all have to avoid tea money and avoid creating the concept, ( the best we can) in the Kingdom.

Time for a beer, cheers Chuckd have a good day.

Regards

C-Sip

I certainly hope you have enjoyed your beer. However, you might want to not make posts in the future after you have been drinking.

Hi all

We may have different experiences driving in Los, that have not much to do with IQ? :o

I have driven 90.000 km during the last 3 years in Thailand, but with a Thai driving licence only since July this year.

Most of my driving has been in Ubon/Sisaket/Surin provinces, but also been several times to Bkk, Pattaya, Chanterburi, etc. I have been stopped in numerous checkpoints, but never been asked for/paid anything!

Been rightfully caught speeding 4 times, and paid 100/200 baht. :D

My experience is that the police especially in my area, is very polite and cause you no problem, - that is of course if you have up to date stickers on your front window, the vehicle is in good shape, you have a valid driving licence, and are not speeding!

It also helps if you greet the officer(s) with a :D when stopped!

It may be otherwise in more central parts of Thailand, but out here farangs are still a curiosity. :D

Edited by bergen

Exactly, Bergen.

Some people make it sound like I am driving by a police speed trap throwing 100 baht bills out the window as I drive by. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I stop because I am waved over. The nice policeman walks to my window, smiles and tells me I have committed an infraction. I usually have, so I don't feign innocence or get upset. I merely pay the bribe to the policeman and get on the road again.

I have never seen a written ticket or even a ticket book in my 30 years of driving in Thailand, and I have never gotten out of my vehicle and sauntered anywhere when stopped.

Hi Stopped recently on my motorcycle in Khon Kaen.  Nice polite policeman told me I had done a Uturn at lights where no U turn sign.  (Also no sign saying no U turn).  He said U turn only possible where sign permits.   He wrote me out a ticket, took my licence.  Somehow that got very quickly back to the policestation, because we went directly there with the ticket. My wife discussed with the officer on duty,  he reduced the fine from 400 to 200 Baht and signed the ticket accordingly. We then went to another desk, where 3 police ladies were chatting and took the money, gave back my licence and gave us a receipt. They were very friendly and wanted to know where I lived etc,  So overall a pleasant experience, all above board and definately got a written ticket. Sorry not able to keep to scan and post, as you have to give it in to get licence back.