Ouch, Aaahhh, Errrr, Ummm, Eh

Neeranam

I have a question for those who've been in Thailand for a while - do you start using Thai interjections instead of you own language?

I find myself saying, 'oiee' instead of 'ouch' or 'ai ya'.

Watching football I say 'oh hooooooooo' in many different tones.

'heuh' when relieved.

Also putting 'wa', 'woi', 'na', 'see','la', 'sa noi' etc into English sentences.

It need a old buddy of mine to say, 'what the **** are you saying' before I realised.

I have a question for those who've been in Thailand for a while - do you start using Thai interjections instead of you own language?

'heuh' when relieved.

Also putting 'wa', 'woi', 'na', 'see','la', 'sa noi' etc into English sentences.

It need a old buddy of mine to say, 'what the **** are you saying' before I realised.

Off course, even when I speak Thai

cheers

onzestan

i do oaieeee all the time. also, aaaawwww when i understand what someone is saying.

when speaking with my wife tend to speak a mixture of thai /english and something only we understand ,baffles all our freinds ,me too sometimes ..

Rather akin to the Thinglish conversations me and my missus have. "Are you going to be narn in the hong naam, ru plao?" etc. :o

i do oaieeee all the time. also, aaaawwww when i understand what someone is saying.

when speaking with my wife tend to speak a mixture of thai /english and something only we understand ,baffles all our freinds ,me too sometimes ..

Me and the mrs are the same. Also, she wants to talk and practice her English most of the time but i want to practice Thai. So many times she says something in English and i answer in Thai. That can baffle people :o

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but i thought "err" was one of those "no, no" words, for Farang?

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but i thought "err" was one of those "no, no" words, for Farang?

I am of the understanding that "errr" in Isaanese is the same as "dai" or "chai" (depending on context), chai-mai?

And yes... I think that if a falung used it, they would be immediately "tarred" as having a "low-class" Isaan GF or wife.

What about the particles 'see', 'sak noi', 'na'. 'la', etc.?

I find it somewhat annoying when a farang uses them with English, although I'm probably guilty of doing it.

also 'leur' 'เหรอ' meaning 'really'.

I've found that there are many different ones to Thai, in Isarn - eg 'eu' instead of 'ooee' or 'ouch' if someone hurts you.

I am of the understanding that "errr" in Isaanese is the same as "dai" or "chai" (depending on context), chai-mai?

And yes... I think that if a falung used it, they would be immediately "tarred" as having a "low-class" Isaan GF or wife.

I think you mean 'der'? 'เด่อ'.

Not all Isarn people are low-class! :o

'heuh' when relieved.

All of the above with the exception of OH HOOOOOOOO, i think if i heard a farang do that i would have a strong urge to punch them.

Not all Isarn people are low-class! :o

I never said that... for the record, my wife is from Isaan.

I meant it in the context of the Thai "class categorisation" of people based on their choice of language... but that's another topic.

And I've heard the "err... err... err..." perhaps accompanied by a nodding head in agreement, the same as "dai... dai... dai..." elsewhere in Thailand.

Read this and realised.....guilty. I started off taking the micky over Errrrrr and now catch myself using them....ah well. By jingo, Carruthers has gone native Sir.

Quite, he's taken on the ramblings of these damned savages ! Quickly get the man a cup of tea and ship him back to blighty on the double ! :o

And yes I find myself guilty at times, even by myself ! and I haven't been to LOS for a year now :D

kankaroo

:o

The "errr" exclamation or reply is a real winner at encapsulating the mood of the moment. Pointing at something by pursing your lips is also a sign that you have lived in LOS for too long, and may need professional counselling.

What about Thaibrown talking ... I found that I could almost 50% run a meeting with a group of Thai`s at work by the use of my eyebrows and with the observation and study of several Thai work mates and in particular my thai nearly teenage daughter I learnt the fine detail of Thai browing the detail is facinating and once you have started to adopt it I have found I got better and better . In fact at the end of my stay after a meeting of "Thai brows " one of the members actualy siad your Thai has realy improved it is a pity you are going , I actually said nothing in Thai . It indicates that communication is a high percentage of non verbal and often very subtle movements communicate .

It does not work the same way in Malaysia OKAY LA , LA being the main communication phrase here La . The above post is written with a little tongue in cheek attitude La . !!!

I learnt the fine detail of Thai browing the detail is facinating and once you have started to adopt it I have found I got better and better .

Can some of you with thaibrow expertise please elaborate & illuminate ?

What nobody else observed Thai brow communication ?????

I learnt the fine detail of Thai browing the detail is facinating and once you have started to adopt it I have found I got better and better .

Have observed but cannot decode much.

I was hoping someone could shed some light ...

That's a new one on me. :o Erm,...I can raise one eyebrow, "Roger Moore" style... Is that good?

That's a new one on me. :o Erm,...I can raise one eyebrow, "Roger Moore" style... Is that good?

Yes you can answer many questions using only the brow of your head, have to admit a little anoying at first but now i don't mind it at all.

It's a bit like the indian wobble.