Renewal Of Retirement Visa

For what it's worth:

Get renewal application at info. desk (photo required)When complete have it checked at Info. desk and get a number to use in room 101Do not leave your passport in the basket after entering 101 Be prepared with copies of your passport, copies of your expiring visa stamps in your passport, copy of your last entry card and most important a new letter from the US embassy ($30) to verify income (need new letter every year) or a copy of your bank statement showing an adequate amount on deposit, (400-800,000 baht, comments vary) I do not have funds deposited but have assets and income varified by the U. S. Embassy.Be prepared to pay 1900 cash for annual renewal and 3800 for multi-entry permit at window 7.Again, be sure you have a form with photo filled out for the multi-entry visa and get another number from the info. counter before going to window 7.[/b]It doesn't have to be a painful experience. It took 3 hrs. including taxi trips to and from the U.S. Embassy to get a new letter to verify monthly income.

Hope this helps some of you.

About the THB 800'000:

I showed up with the Bank book and a Letter of Guarantee of my bank. That was insufficient and I got rejected.

What I had to show is:

- Bank Book (updated not more than 3 days ago)

- Photocopies of the Bank book

- Letter of Guarantee from my Bank

- Confirmation of my Bank that the THB 800'000 have beens transfered from abroad

Although this was a request for a second year extension and although my bank book showed no movement at all since the previous year, I had to bring along a written confirmation from my Bank, that these THB 800'000 were (still) from abroad. It took my Bank quite some time to dig out the old records. To make things more complicated, my Bank abroad had transfered the money first to Bangkok Bank and then only to Kasikorn Bank.

These guys at Immigration can really make your life miserable. :o

Thanks for telling us how it worked for you in Bangkok. I'm going in next week for my 2nd extension (maybe it's my third) in Chiang Mai, and I think I don't need a new statement from the Embassy/Consulate (mine is only one year old). I think that renewals do not require a medical certificate. Since I only use the pension method, and don't have much cash in a Thai bank in my own name, this year I'm not even going to present a bank book.

When I first obtained my retirement visa in 2006, the immigration officer took a copy of my embassy letter, but gave me back the original. I just renewed my visa for another year. This time the officer kept the original, and told me that every year from now on I will need a new letter from the embassy. That is going to be a pain because I live in Pattaya and will need to go to Bangkok each time just to get the letter from my embassy (Canadian).

I am more concerned about the fact that starting October 2007 the letter from the embassy will have to be endorsed by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. What will they want to see as proof of pension income? In my case, I don't get a monthly pension. I have a retirement plan from which I draw funds as required. That was good enough for te embassy, but will it be good enough for the Ministry? Maybe I will have to switch to the 800,000 Bhat in the bank account route! What a pain!

David

Most recent reports point to a new letter being required each year now so if it was used last time it may not be accepted.

I quote from:

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/visainformation.htm

as follows:

"From Oct 2007 a pension confirmation letter obtained from your Embassy in Thailand will require authentication from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and will have a maximum life of 12 months. (Estimated cost 400 baht)"

David

I am more concerned about the fact that starting October 2007 the letter from the embassy will have to be endorsed by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

There is no such requirement.

For what it's worth:

Get renewal application at info. desk (photo required)When complete have it checked at Info. desk and get a number to use in room 101Do not leave your passport in the basket after entering 101 Be prepared with copies of your passport, copies of your expiring visa stamps in your passport, copy of your last entry card and most important a new letter from the US embassy ($30) to verify income (need new letter every year) or a copy of your bank statement showing an adequate amount on deposit, (400-800,000 baht, comments vary) I do not have funds deposited but have assets and income varified by the U. S. Embassy.Be prepared to pay 1900 cash for annual renewal and 3800 for multi-entry permit at window 7.Again, be sure you have a form with photo filled out for the multi-entry visa and get another number from the info. counter before going to window 7.[/b]It doesn't have to be a painful experience. It took 3 hrs. including taxi trips to and from the U.S. Embassy to get a new letter to verify monthly income.

Hope this helps some of you.

I have been in USA for summer visit when my retirement visa expires and have found it easy to apply for new visa at NY Consulate by mail (Cost now $150). Does anyone know WHERE one would go to obtain the proof of income letter in the USA ??

1. A passport valid no less than one year and a half.

2. Three copies of a Visa Application Form.

3. Three photos (color, size 4 x 4.5 cm).

4. A personal Data Form. Click here to download a personal data form.

5. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

6. In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well.

7. Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for no more than 3 months).

8. A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases (the certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months). Click here to download a medical certificate form.

9. In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the O-A code visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the "O" code).

10. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight no., date of entry and name.

Thanks for telling us how it worked for you in Bangkok. I'm going in next week for my 2nd extension (maybe it's my third) in Chiang Mai, and I think I don't need a new statement from the Embassy/Consulate (mine is only one year old). I think that renewals do not require a medical certificate. Since I only use the pension method, and don't have much cash in a Thai bank in my own name, this year I'm not even going to present a bank book.

Let us know how it goes.

I renewed at Kap Cheong last September 4 and only needed copies of my passport and COPY of my Embassy income letter (no bank account papers at all), the usual application form,foto and 1.900 baht fee.

A breeze !

Good luck

a new letter from the US embassy ($30) to verify income (need new letter every year)

Thanks for relating your experience.

In addition to the Embassy letter, did Immigration also require that you show funds transferred from overseas to your Thai bank. I generally just withdraw funds from my foreign bank account through Thai ATMs, then deposit those funds into my Thai bank account.

• 3 weeks later...

Could some one clarify for me: For a second year retitrment visa- all I need is 800K Baht in my Thai account transfered from my home country Australia --at the time of renewall of the visa? (not 3 or 6 months before renewal time) I dont need the overseas police or medical documents do I, or a pension income?