Police Volunteers

Mobi

Actually the Pattaya Tourist Police Volunteers (TPV) has a website but there's not much to learn about them there.

The Udon Thani TPV has a very informative website here.

A big thank-you to Howard for his clarification on the role of the FPV.

:o

With respect Howard has posted nothing about the role of the Foreign Police Volunteers as he is not a member of that particular group. He is a member of the Tourist Police Assistants (Volunteers). It is myself and a few other TV members who are members of the FPV's who have informed members about the FPV's role.

Just to be clear on the issue :D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the Pattaya Tourist Police Volunteers (TPV) has a website but there's not much to learn about them there.

With respect Howard has posted nothing about the role of the Foreign Police Volunteers as he is not a member of that particular group. He is a member of the Tourist Police Assistants (Volunteers). It is myself and a few other TV members who are members of the FPV's who have informed members about the FPV's role.

And also, with respect, we still haven't been told why most Pattaya based forums do not permit threads on the TPV, even though TV - to it's credit - is doing just that.

("TPV's have been active for 13 years and are supported by the Ministry of Sports and Tourism and the Tourism Authority of Thailand which is why most Pattaya-based forums do not allow threads on TPV's (apart from TV it seems!!!!").

And maybe it's me, but I'm still confused about the two separate groups.

Have I got this right?

One group are the Foreign Police Volunteers, and they are composed solely of foreigners, and they carry out their work in helping foreigners at the Soi 9 Police Station.

The other group are Tourist Police Volunteer Assistants, and this group is composed of both Thais and foreigners, and they are more active on the streets of Pattaya, assisting the regular police with their normal duties.

Both groups wear informs. Is there any different in the uniforms? How can we know to which group a volunteer belongs?

Edited by Mobi

My apologies... I'm getting confused on the terminology as I'm sure are some other members. :D

OK, let's get the terminology correct... the correct terms are FTPA's (Foreign Tourist Police Assistants), formerly known as TPV's (Tourist Police Volunteers) and FPV's (Foreign Police Volunteers).

Correct?

My apologies... I'm getting confused on the terminology as I'm sure are some other members. :D

OK, let's get the terminology correct... the correct terms are FTPA's (Foreign Tourist Police Assistants), formerly known as TPV's (Tourist Police Volunteers) and FPV's (Foreign Police Volunteers).

Correct?

You gotta laugh. :o

Only in Thailand :D

Correct?

You gotta laugh. :o

Only in Thailand :D

TITV

This is Thai Visa

Cheers :D

Correct?

As regards the FPV Jai Dee your correct, and Mobi your also correct in that we work only in Soi 9 and wear a black uniform. All Thai Police groups as far as I am aware have Thai volunteers Highway, Tourist, Immigration and Soi 9

Thank you for the links, Jai Dee.

It's an interesting contrast in that the Udon Thani detachment is a small unit that was formed only in 2005 and yet has an active website with photos and information on their activities, while the Pattaya detachment which has many more members, was formed 12 years prior to the Udon Thani one in 1993 and their website basically has nothing, except this on their Forum:

Sorry, the board is unavailable at the moment

and this on their Structure section of their website:

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page

My apologies... I'm getting confused on the terminology as I'm sure are some other members. :o

To our list of unanswered questions, can we add:

Why was the name of Tourist Police Volunteers changed to Foreign Tourist Police Assistants? By removing the "volunteer" moniker, it "sounds" even more closely aligned to normal, full-fledged police and also raises the aura of this is no longer a non-paid status.

Edited by sriracha john

My apologies... I'm getting confused on the terminology as I'm sure are some other members. :o

Why was the name of Tourist Police Volunteers changed to Foreign Tourist Police Assistants? By removing the "volunteer" moniker, it "sounds" even more closely aligned to normal, full-fledged police and also raises the aura of this is no longer a non-paid status.

Hello all!

I would suggest that all questions you have about the FTPA.....you have to remember they are an integral part of the forces....so your opinion, or question about them, is considered an opinion, or question to the tourist police itself.

Hello all!

I would suggest that all questions you have about the FTPA.....you have to remember they are an integral part of the forces....so your opinion, or question about them, is considered an opinion, or question to the tourist police itself.

I didn't mean to imply an unfavorable opinion in my question, but merely stated an objective assessment (neither positive nor negative)... and really am just interested in obtaining an answer to my question from the FTPA.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a response from FTPA directly on any of the questions any of us have asked them, but failing that, a response from the TP would be welcome on the forum. Asking questions is not disrespectful in itself.

Hello all!

Sorry... your point is?.... :o

Hello all!

I hope there was a point and this was not a warning !!!!

Hello all!

Hi there!

I am a FTPA myself. And my point in saying this is that we have to remember we are in Thailand. The laws...rules....and way of living and thinking here are very different from what we are used to.

The FTPA is a part of the tourist police. In fact..it is something they are very proud of. So to abuse or say something bad to a FTPA is not a good idea.

When it comes to questions about what we can do...and if we have work permits and salary.......i hope you all understand and respect, that we are working with the POLICE. The answer very much says itself. You just cant tell the public everything we do......the nature of the job dont allow that. If someone wants more info.....drop by us in walking street for a chat. remember...we are here for you!

Hello all!

I didn't mean to imply an unfavorable opinion in my question, but merely stated an objective assessment (neither positive nor negative)... and really am just interested in obtaining an answer to my question from the FTPA.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a response from FTPA directly on any of the questions any of us have asked them, but failing that, a response from the TP would be welcome on the forum. Asking questions is not disrespectful in itself.

Hi there!

You have done nothing wrong :D .....of course you can ask questions....

I would like to invite you to walking street. I can not promise you to answer all your questions...but i can give you a lot of information on what we do.

Hello all!

Hi there!

I would like to invite you to walking street. I can not promise you to answer all your questions...but i can give you a lot of information on what we do.

Maybe not everyone will be on Walking Street but they would still like some information?

Hello all!

Hi there!

Maybe not everyone will be on Walking Street but they would still like some information?

What information would you like?

Hello all!

Hi there!

The public role that you can publish (not anything confidential).

How they differ from the volunteer's based in the police station?

Numbers, nationality, training given and received?

A bit of PR really?

.....of course you can ask questions....

Thank you. I think we have several questions, but I'd be interested in knowing if it is possible to get a simple answer to this question I've asked about six times now in this thread without ever receiving a direct and complete answer?

Keeping this thread in a general, non-personal manner, I would ask for clarification on the following post which never got answered completely by either group. If it got cleared up, I would think it would help any recruiting efforts they routinely initiate as well help the general public regarding these forces:

I'm not questioning whether the work is worthwhile or not.

I'm questioning the specific legality of being exempted from the work permit requirements that everyone else must comply with in Thailand.

There are countless foreigners who would very willingly volunteer on a regular basis in any number of worthwhile causes, but are impeded from doing by the endless bureaucracy involved in getting work permits from the Labour Ministry. Now if this organization is specifically exempted from the stringent requirements demanding work permits (eg. failure to comply is cause for deportation), then I would expect there would be specific written authorizations and that the Labour Ministry co-authorizes these specific exemptions for the members of this organization.

Do you possess such written authorizations individually or have you witnessed a group exemption letter that authorizes all of you to work without a work permit? If so, might we inquire as to who signed off on it and from which department of the government they represent?

In light of your comment:

..and if we have work permits and salary.......i hope you all understand and respect, that we are working with the POLICE. The answer very much says itself.

I'm not much into innuendo and I would think a simple direct answer would say it much clearer.

Do you have specific written authorization from the Labour Ministry either in the form of a work permit itself or a work permit exemption letter? Something so critically important, it would seem, should be easily answerable and actually if such legal documentation exists, easily scannable in order for posting for all to see.

Thank you.

Edited by sriracha john

Hello all!

Hi there!

The public role that you can publish (not anything confidential).

How they differ from the volunteer's based in the police station?

Numbers, nationality, training given and received?

A bit of PR really?

1. We are police assistants

2. We are trained and hired by the police....FPV are not.

3. we are about 10 active assistants

4. We are from different countries

5. We have courses and probation periods.....we are only given a police badge if we are found good enough by the police. just a few actually get their badge.

Hope this help you :D