Ubc

ZOVOX

UBC SUCKS. First it cost more than a premium package in the U.S. that has 10 or more sports chanels and broadcast every AMERICAN FOOTBALL game including COLLAGE games. They offer 2 games a week.

Second just try and get your deposit back or move your system to the house next door. 4000 baht to move the system one house over and the guy who moves it probably makes 200 baht all day. Was written a check for 25% of my deposit and CITI bank wont even cash their own letterhead check after a 200 baht round trip cab fare and not to mention the lost time and hastle.

Now I listen to sports on the RADIO over the INTERNET. I know some of the same people still get my money for the internet but it is a better system and someday we will have internet tv, I CAN WAIT. UBC SUCKS .

UBC is complete sh$t, but we all pay for it because there's no alternative. Most of what they show is from years ago. Like 6,7 years ago. I love watching discovery channel to see what the world might be like in the year 2000 and what effect Y2K will have. Another educational documentary last night told me about the terrorist attack at the World Trade Center- the bomb in the car park, not the planes. That hasn't happened yet in UBC world.

My most exciting moments are when I see a whole ad. I guess the ad zapper guy has to go to the bathroom sometimes.

This whole thing about no advertising on UBC has always confused me....There are constant ads on the stations that aren't supposed to run ads....Those terribly annoying red screens advertising business, private schools, AIS promotions......

Would anyone not prefer the more professionally done commercials, even if they're selling dog food or used cars, over what they use now? And the musac with those red screens! (as it drones again, in the background... Where's the remote..) Remember the musac that used a car's honking horn throughout? That one nearly drove me mad when I couldn't locate the remote quickly enough to kill the sound...And, you know, they turn up YOUR sound when the commercials start??

Also, the programs, uncut, are maxed at 22 minutes, followed by 8 minutes of cheesy ads, and 22 minutes of program. Take a quick piss, and you missed half of any program, and it always seems you return just as the 8 minutes of cheesy ads are starting...

Onward through the fog :o

The number of potential viewers is irrelevant to the cost per viewer. Broadcasters pay for the material based on the number of viewers they have so UBC will be paying only a fraction of what Dream or Astro is paying.

What is relevant is that UBC is prevented from airing paid advertising either of local content or pass through so all income must come from viewer subscription fees.

Good VCD and DVD rental shops do exist in Thailand (the video-tape went through the exit in many of them).

If you have a Thai wife (or husband), the discs are bilangual, so you both can enjoy. You pick not only the picture but also your own time to view it, you don't miss anything when you go for something to drink or to eat, let alone during the sanitary stops.

Was it Louis Armstrong who won the Tour de France again?

I think it is mainly the DVD's that are bilingual. I have bought one or two VCD's that are bilingual, but that is out of 100's checked. I always ask - seldom find them.

But so many do not run properly - especially my daughter's 'toons'. She doesn't mind - ten minutes is her naximum time in front of the box - but it does p1ss me off.

The number of potential viewers is irrelevant to the cost per viewer.  Broadcasters pay for the material based on the number of viewers they have so UBC will be paying only a fraction of what Dream or Astro is paying.

What is relevant is that UBC is prevented from airing paid advertising either of local content or pass through so all income must come from viewer subscription fees.

Good point. Advertising rates are based on numbers of viewers, and without the option (allegedly) to show local advertising, their revenue must come from subscriptions instead of advertisers....

But, you can bet UBC won't lower subscription rates if they are allowed to air commercials....When UBC (IBC?) first started pushing for ads, they did say they would be able to have lower subscription rates if they could run ads...

Do you think UBC should be allowed to run ads, just like any other commercial broadcaster? I do. Anything is better than the system now, in my opinion.

The number of potential viewers is irrelevant to the cost per viewer.  Broadcasters pay for the material based on the number of viewers they have so UBC will be paying only a fraction of what Dream or Astro is paying.

I understand what you're saying, but number of viewers is still relevant. There are certainly huge economies of scale involved in running a cable TV network that caters to 10,000 viewers, say, as opposed to 10 million.

Do you think UBC should be allowed to run ads, just like any other commercial broadcaster? I do. Anything is better than the system now, in my opinion.

Every year they try to get approval and put pressure on government to change the rules but to date no luck. A reading of the Channel 5 news in the Bangkok Post today might be in order.

Every year they try to get approval and put pressure on government to change the rules but to date no luck. A reading of the Channel 5 news in the Bangkok Post today might be in order.

While the government owns most of the terrestrial channels (through MCOT, and other departments), it'll be a long time before UBC is allowed to compete for advertising with them.

(After all - UBC doesn't belong to Thaksin).

On the other hand - I think we'd all prefer the channels to be left with the "real" adverts from Hong Kong/Singapore, even if UBC gets no money for those adverts, than to continue to have the abysmally awful Muzak screens.