Extension Of Stay Based On Married To Thai Woman

I recently had a renewal of extension of stay based on married to Thai woman.

It was a piece of cake because I was grandfathered last year and I had all my paperwork well done.

The new rule was that we had to take some new photos at home showing us together; the front of our

house and all rooms in the house was required.

They wanted 6 new photos and told us to come back in a week with the new photos.

They told us also to be prepared for the same rules next year (2008) renewal with deposit of not less

than 400.000 baht at least 3 month before the application but without any new photos of cause.

That’s it...Good Luck. :o

Hello Billion,

good info, that . . .

which immigration office did you get your extension at ?

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok.

The officer (woman) was really nice and helpful during the process.

Hello BlissfullyIgnorant,

Yes, we have a child and they told us that the new rules with new photos is a

new requirement for all the married couple this year...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new rule was that we had to take some new photos at home showing us together; the front of our

They wanted 6 new photos and told us to come back in a week with the new photos.

They told us also to be prepared for the same rules next year (2008) renewal with deposit of not less

than 400.000 baht at least 3 month before the application but without any new photos of cause.

So what is the process if obtaining 1-year visa extension based on married to Thai woman. (1) Find your girl and get married at local amphur office (legal Thai marriage); (2) If one entered on something other than non-imm visa, go to some Embassy/counsulate and obtain non-imm visa based on marriage documentation; (3) Return to LOS and transfer-in your B400,000; (4) Near the expiration of your non-imm visa, go to local immigration office with marriage docs, bank book, bank statements, bank letter, photos of self and joint housing photos and apply for your "married man's" 1 year extension.

Is that basically the process? Any steps I missed? I may finally breakdown and tie the knot so just want to see if I got this down :o

Maybe you can help me here. I am US citizen, married to Thai lady in March 07. In Iraq now, leaving for Thailand soon. My Non imm type O, issued last Sept, prior to taking job in Iraq, has expired. I will register the marriage when I return to Thailand in Nov. Will be on tourist visa then. Two questions: can I get the type o extended although now expired? If I am on tourist visa, do I have to leave the country to apply for non immagrant or long stay visa using the marriage (which will be registered with Thai and Amphur by then, I have already done the US Consulate paper work). Finally, where in Laos can it be done? We are living outside Chiang Rai, so close to Laos. Thanks for the help.

"...for a marriage visa, over 50 age..."

You don't have to be over 50 to get a visa to support a spouse. That requirement is for a retirement visa.

"...you need prroof of income of 40,000 pm

OR

400,000 deposit in thai bank 3 moths prior to renewal"

It has been widely reported that most, (if not all) imm offices aren't allowing 400k in the bank for new extensions.

Hello all,

Married couple must have an income of 40.000 Baht per month.

Income together with your wife not less than 40.000 Baht per month is okay.

Income from your wife not less than 40.000 Baht per month is okay too.

The grandfather clause is only for the lucky married couple already in the system.

They got an extension of stay BEFORE October 1, 2006, that it...

Maybe you can help me here. I am US citizen, married to Thai lady in March 07. In Iraq now, leaving for Thailand soon. My Non imm type O, issued last Sept, prior to taking job in Iraq, has expired. I will register the marriage when I return to Thailand in Nov. Will be on tourist visa then. Two questions: can I get the type o extended although now expired? If I am on tourist visa, do I have to leave the country to apply for non immagrant or long stay visa using the marriage (which will be registered with Thai and Amphur by then, I have already done the US Consulate paper work). Finally, where in Laos can it be done? We are living outside Chiang Rai, so close to Laos. Thanks for the help.

Are you planning on living in Thailand on yearly extensions of stay or will you be outside and just want a new non immigrant O visa as you previously seem to have had?

The multi entry non immigrant O visa will probably require a trip to Penang or Singapore with marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card, proof of bank account (400k or more for Singapore) and perhaps the wifes home register copy. Multi entry visa are not likely to be available in Vientiane.

Unfortunately, your visa expired. So that's it - you have to get a new one. Vientiene is probably your best bet in Laos.

If you can swing it, stop in Singapore or somewhere like that on your way back to the LOS, you can apply for a sixty day tourist visa. Since you appear to have not yet registered your marriage - and hence have no marriage certificate - then applying for a non-O based on marriage won't work.

After you get your marriage cert, head out to Penang, Singapore, or one of the other "multi-entry friendly" consulates/embassies mentioned on this board and get your one year multi-entry non-O. Once you get that, it's smooth sailing (just visa runs every 90 days). You can at any time before your non-O expires apply at your local immigration office for a one year extension - which is nice because once you get that, no more visa runs (just report to immigration every 90 days).

Financial requirements:

Non-O visa based on support (marriage to) a Thai national: 400k in the bank

1 yr extension to your non-O: 40k per month income - this can be wholly from you, wholly from your wife, or a mix of both. Any portion made in Thailand by you or your wife must show proof of tax payment.

Hope that helps.

Edited by gavstah

If you have a multi entry Non Imm O you can enter as many times as you want but MUST go over the border at least every 90 days. I hope for your sake you are mistaken about what you actually have.

Any one else reading your post please disregard it as it is totaly wrong.

When I had a Multi-Entry Non-Imm 'B' visa, I could just go along to the One-Stop Visa and Immigration service on Ratchada Pisek Road every 90 days and sign a piece of paper for the Immigration cop that said I would not be leaving. This was around 5 years ago, and back then i also had a work permit too. So have things changed? Or is a B and O different? Or does the work permit nulify the requirement to leave every 90 days as long as you inform Immigration?

Edited by thaigene2

Are you planning on living in Thailand on yearly extensions of stay or will you be outside and just want a new non immigrant O visa as you previously seem to have had?

The multi entry non immigrant O visa will probably require a trip to Penang or Singapore with marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card, proof of bank account (400k or more for Singapore) and perhaps the wifes home register copy. Multi entry visa are not likely to be available in Vientiane.

Well, thanks for the info. I am planning on staying with wife on yearly extensions. But who knows what the future holds job wise, etc. I was thinking the income statement would be sufficient for the money test, but if I need the bank deposit then so be it. I have the income statement from the us consulate already. Too bad about Vientiane, we discussed visiting Laos together (wife & I).

I am trying to contact the Thai consulate in Dubai (on my way out of Iraq), to inquire about a Non Immagrant B type and then convert it to a long stay non O after a year. I would tell them I want to teach school, which I would like to do, yet no job offer yet in Thailand. I understand that it is easier to get the job is already have a visa under which one can apply for work permit.

Unfortunately, your visa expired. So that's it - you have to get a new one. Vientiene is probably your best bet in Laos.

If you can swing it, stop in Singapore or somewhere like that on your way back to the LOS, you can apply for a sixty day tourist visa. Since you appear to have not yet registered your marriage - and hence have no marriage certificate - then applying for a non-O based on marriage won't work.

After you get your marriage cert, head out to Penang, Singapore, or one of the other "multi-entry friendly" consulates/embassies mentioned on this board and get your one year multi-entry non-O. Once you get that, it's smooth sailing (just visa runs every 90 days). You can at any time before your non-O expires apply at your local immigration office for a one year extension - which is nice because once you get that, no more visa runs (just report to immigration every 90 days).

Financial requirements:

Non-O visa based on support (marriage to) a Thai national: 400k in the bank

1 yr extension to your non-O: 40k per month income - this can be wholly from you, wholly from your wife, or a mix of both. Any portion made in Thailand by you or your wife must show proof of tax payment.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, I was assuming that the income statement from the US Consul would be sufficient for the marriage based Non - O in and of itself but I guess not . Do you really think that Vientiene is an option?

As I stated in my other reply, I am trying to arrange something with the Dubai Thai Consulate, but no answer to my email just yet. I was thinking of try to get a Non b, for teaching thru them but don't have a job offer in hand. I want to live there but having a teaching job would be doable for me. College degree, teaching cert., over 50 yrs, etc. Would be a good thing to have a job.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the info, I was assuming that the income statement from the US Consul would be sufficient for the marriage based Non - O in and of itself but I guess not.

Yeah - I thought that as well, until the immigration officer in Pattaya essentially told my wife it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Reason being is that Thai immigration is hip to the fact that you don't have to show any supporting documentation to get the letter. Just show up and fill out the form, raise your right hand and swear on a stack of bibles that it's true.

After being grilled on where my money was coming from, I ended up handing over copies of my W-2 from 2006 as well as a letter from my employer stating my monthly income.

"...apply at your local immigration office for a one year extension...

Financial requirements:

Non-O visa based on support (marriage to) a Thai national: 400k in the bank..."

It's being reported that the 400K in the bank is no longer available for new applicants.

"Thanks for the info, I was assuming that the income statement from the US Consul would be sufficient for the marriage based Non - O in and of itself but I guess not."

I'm assuming that the Embassy letter is still good on it's own. Some offices may ask for other documents to show where the money comes from, as did the office the above poster went to. It sounds like once he provided some sort of proof to the imm officer, the embassy letter was accepted.

Immigration might want to see a bank account, but in my experience they don't care how much is in the account if you are using 40K income. I've shown them an account with as little as 6,000 baht in it. No problem.

Today we went in to Chiangmai immigration for my 3rd one year extension of stay based on being married to a Thai..

Amongst the regular pile of paperwork I included a few happy snaps of us and the kids, which were promptly returned to us with a chuckle saying "don't need", so it would seem this is not a universal requirement. YMMV tough.

As an aside, I qualify on both the 400K and on income, however for the first time ever they handed back all of my employment related paperwork, saying "400K is enough" - even though the 400K had only been in my account for 2 months not the required 3 months (which they did check & notice BTW). The officer did say however that the 400K must be in the account for at least 3 months when I go to renew next year. In the past they have demanded evidence of income from me even though I had 400+K in the bank, so it's a case of another year, another ruleset.

Once again, YMMV though..

Hello all,

Married couple must have an income of 40.000 Baht per month.

Income together with your wife not less than 40.000 Baht per month is okay.

Income from your wife not less than 40.000 Baht per month is okay too.

The grandfather clause is only for the lucky married couple already in the system.

They got an extension of stay BEFORE October 1, 2006, that it...

Correction:

In order to be grandfathered on the 400K Baht rule, you must have entered Thailand before October 1, 2006.

"...apply at your local immigration office for a one year extension...

Financial requirements:

Non-O visa based on support (marriage to) a Thai national: 400k in the bank..."

It's being reported that the 400K in the bank is no longer available for new applicants.

"Thanks for the info, I was assuming that the income statement from the US Consul would be sufficient for the marriage based Non - O in and of itself but I guess not."

I'm assuming that the Embassy letter is still good on it's own. Some offices may ask for other documents to show where the money comes from, as did the office the above poster went to. It sounds like once he provided some sort of proof to the imm officer, the embassy letter was accepted.

Immigration might want to see a bank account, but in my experience they don't care how much is in the account if you are using 40K income. I've shown them an account with as little as 6,000 baht in it. No problem.

This 400k number gets bandied about quite a lot - to clarify my understanding, it now applies in only two cases:

1) Grandfathered in for guys married to Thai wife who've been doing extensions since before Oct 6, 2006

2) New applications for Non-O visa based on marriage to Thai wife - although not all Embassies/Consulates are asking for this, or so it is my understanding.

New applications (not renewals) for an extension to a Non-O based on marriage/support of Thai national require proof of 40k income - which can be from wife, from husband, or both.

Corrections, anyone?

1. The 400K renewal scheme is grandfathered for people who entered Thailand on a single-entry non-immigrant O (supporting spouse) visa before October 1st, 2006.

2. I've never heard of a Thai embassy or consulate abroad that ever needed 400K in a Thai bank in order to issues a single-entry Non-immigrant O visa. They may ask for your bank recoards, but there's no stipulation on the amount. However, most (all?) embassies/consulates abroad will need to see 400K or equivelant foreign currency in order to issue you with a multiple-entry Non-immigrant O visa - the multiple entry variant is not valid for the one year extension scheme however, so the extension rules do not apply.

1. The 400K renewal scheme is grandfathered for people who entered Thailand on a single-entry non-immigrant O (supporting spouse) visa before October 1st, 2006.

2. I've never heard of a Thai embassy or consulate abroad that ever needed 400K in a Thai bank in order to issues a single-entry Non-immigrant O visa. They may ask for your bank recoards, but there's no stipulation on the amount. However, most (all?) embassies/consulates abroad will need to see 400K or equivelant foreign currency in order to issue you with a multiple-entry Non-immigrant O visa - the multiple entry variant is not valid for the one year extension scheme however, so the extension rules do not apply.

I am sure that last comment is NOT correct ... I know several guys with multiple entry Non-Imm 'O's and annual extension of stay... That said, they were all in full time employment so the extension might have been based on that ...

Blissy.

Where did you glean this gem?

Quick question for all of the posters that have been asked to provide happy couple photos: Do you have Thai children?

As I understand it, photos have always been a requirement for childless couples (albeit not often enforced), but waived for those who've had children.

Hey guys

I have a question about this non-

O married to thai one year visa. I'm a canadian guy ,46, in chiang mai , just legally registered with my thai wife at the local Ampher here. I entered the country on a tourist visa, now expired. I want to apply for the one year(multiple entry?) visa based on status as married to a thai. It is a first time application. Do you know or know anyone who knows what docs I we will need to be successful? I have a bank account, and a house in my wife's name.And where should we do it? Penang? Another consulate? The immigration dept. in Bkk?

All details appreciated

Jim

Hi, I'm Canadian living near Non Khai and just went to Bangkok to get my 1 year Immigration Visa. I'm legally married and brought all the necessary papers but when I got there they asked me for photos of us both and luckily for me my wife had 2. I paid the 1900 baht but was told I would get it and come back in 1 month. I also had to show my bank book and a copy from my back showing that I had an income of 40,000 a month and a letter from the Canadian embassy stamped which says that I have an income over 40,000 baht a month. Make sure that you have photos of yourself and your wife and family around your house/. David

the multiple entry variant is not valid for the one year extension scheme however, so the extension rules do not apply.

Oh, really? Someone needs to inform the folks at Pattaya Immigration in that case - those scofflaws just processed my application for a one year extension to my multi-entry non-O visa that was issued in Singapore last year. :o

Could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, though - after all, TiT

Today I renewed my Thai wife visa at Kaep Chong (think that's spelled right). The lady here was very friendly as usual. I didn't have 2 sets of copies of the bank letter and bankbook, so I had to go out and get that done. Keep a balance of 400K but last month went under, due to an automatic deduction for life and health insurance for family members. She didn't say nothing about it, anyways this month it was toped off again. She asked about proof of income, I said I had none because I didn't think I needed it. I had originally submitted such proof in 2002. She said that was OK, she just wondered if I had. No photos were asked for, although I took some along, due to all the talk on this forum. Anyways all went really well. I was really expecting all kinds of problems, and my wife and son had to put up with me being in a bad mood about this false expectation. I hope other Farangs get the same good and polite treatment as I did today.

I did ask about people on retirement visa, because of the requirements of having 65,000 Baht/MO income. This sum is about $1,800/MO for an American and about $600 to $800 more a month, than the average working person will get on social security. To me this means that this rule basically says, that Americans are not welcome or allowed here. They are priced out by unreasonable expectations of retirement benefits, or basically discriminated against, or both. Either way I hope the American government is aware of this and takes action in making it as difficult and expensive for Thais to go and stay in the USA. If you are retired and this is all causing you problems, fill out a report and complaint, when you are at the US Embassy, getting whatever paperwork you have been told to chase after. If you are too lazy to help yourself, and help bring change about don't complain. Nothing gets done without paperwork, and if you don't care no one else will.

Good luck to all getting your extensions, and I hope the officials are nice to you as they were to me.

Today I renewed my Thai wife visa at Kaep Chong (think that's spelled right). The lady here was very friendly as usual. I didn't have 2 sets of copies of the bank letter and bankbook, so I had to go out and get that done. Keep a balance of 400K but last month went under, due to an automatic deduction for life and health insurance for family members. She didn't say nothing about it, anyways this month it was toped off again. She asked about proof of income, I said I had none because I didn't think I needed it. I had originally submitted such proof in 2002. She said that was OK, she just wondered if I had. No photos were asked for, although I took some along, due to all the talk on this forum. Anyways all went really well. I was really expecting all kinds of problems, and my wife and son had to put up with me being in a bad mood about this false expectation. I hope other Farangs get the same good and polite treatment as I did today.

I did ask about people on retirement visa, because of the requirements of having 65,000 Baht/MO income. This sum is about $1,800/MO for an American and about $600 to $800 more a month, than the average working person will get on social security. To me this means that this rule basically says, that Americans are not welcome or allowed here. They are priced out by unreasonable expectations of retirement benefits, or basically discriminated against, or both. Either way I hope the American government is aware of this and takes action in making it as difficult and expensive for Thais to go and stay in the USA. If you are retired and this is all causing you problems, fill out a report and complaint, when you are at the US Embassy, getting whatever paperwork you have been told to chase after. If you are too lazy to help yourself, and help bring change about don't complain. Nothing gets done without paperwork, and if you don't care no one else will.

Good luck to all getting your extensions, and I hope the officials are nice to you as they were to me.

Do you realy think American government need to make it expensive for a Thai to go and live there??

I never been in America, i know it would be quite cheap for a european to go and live there, but the general thai have 7-10k / mounth. Baht. Thats 200-300 $ us.

I think it would be fair to say its already quite expensive for a Thai to go to America! :o

It was a piece of cake because I was grandfathered last year and I had all my paperwork well done.

That’s it...Good Luck. :o

That's certainly good news that the 400k in the bank is still ok.

I have a related question that someone may be able to help with.

The next time I go for my 1 year extension I will only have 11 months left before my passport expires.

Do I

a) Apply as usual and hope they give me an 11 month exension?

:D Apply 1 month early and ask for 1 year?

c) Go to my embassy and get a new passport before applying?

If c) How does that work as I then have an invalid passport with a valid visa in it and new one with nothing in it.

Any advice please

That's it...Good Luck. :o

That's certainly good news that the 400k in the bank is still ok.

I have a related question that someone may be able to help with.

The next time I go for my 1 year extension I will only have 11 months left before my passport expires.

Do I

a) Apply as usual and hope they give me an 11 month exension?

:D Apply 1 month early and ask for 1 year?

c) Go to my embassy and get a new passport before applying?

If c) How does that work as I then have an invalid passport with a valid visa in it and new one with nothing in it.

Any advice please

Visa and passport are 2 different things. You get a one year extension even if your passport expires in 11 month. Then the next time you extend you bring the old and the new passport with you.

Or you go and transfer the visa from the old to the new at immigration once you got the new one.

Visa and passport are 2 different things...go and transfer the visa from the old to the new at immigration once you got the new one.

Visa and extension of stay are two different things. The visa will not get transferred to the new passport. The extension stamp will get transferred, probably with the addition of a handwritten note making reference to the visa on the basis of which the first extension was originally approved.

--

Maestro

Do you realy think American government need to make it expensive for a Thai to go and live there??

I never been in America, i know it would be quite cheap for a european to go and live there, but the general thai have 7-10k / mounth. Baht. Thats 200-300 $ us.

I think it would be fair to say its already quite expensive for a Thai to go to America! :o

Why should they be treated better than they treat us? If a non-Thai doesn't meet some of these high financial requirements, Thais couldn't care less about him, his wife and children, they would deny him access to his family,and make him leave the country, even though he is probably still supporting them all. Yet you seem to think that a Thai with assets or income of 7-10K with an extremely limited education in most cases, should have access to a country such as the US, to be welcomed with open arms. Who will more then likely have an extremely hard time surviving there. Who will most likely turn to some sort of illegal activity to insure their survival. I think Europe is a better destination for them, due to free medical care, and other desirable welfare benefits. Also European moral and ethical standards( as well as everything else) are so much higher than they perceive of the USA. and therefore I think they should lead by example and throw open the flood gates. I as an American believe due unto others, as they do unto you. You can clearly see the downfall of this philosophy, and I'm sure all these people, you will agree will be better off in your country. Of course should they have a lot of money, skills to offer, and would be willing to support a few Americans, they would be more than welcome.

Why should they be treated better than they treat us? If a non-Thai doesn't meet some of these high financial requirements, Thais couldn't care less about him, his wife and children, they would deny him access to his family,and make him leave the country, even though he is probably still supporting them all. Yet you seem to think that a Thai with assets or income of 7-10K with an extremely limited education in most cases, should have access to a country such as the US, to be welcomed with open arms. Who will more then likely have an extremely hard time surviving there. Who will most likely turn to some sort of illegal activity to insure their survival. I think Europe is a better destination for them, due to free medical care, and other desirable welfare benefits. Also European moral and ethical standards( as well as everything else) are so much higher than they perceive of the USA. and therefore I think they should lead by example and throw open the flood gates. I as an American believe due unto others, as they do unto you. You can clearly see the downfall of this philosophy, and I'm sure all these people, you will agree will be better off in your country. Of course should they have a lot of money, skills to offer, and would be willing to support a few Americans, they would be more than welcome.

:D

Visa and passport are 2 different things...go and transfer the visa from the old to the new at immigration once you got the new one.

Visa and extension of stay are two different things. The visa will not get transferred to the new passport. The extension stamp will get transferred, probably with the addition of a handwritten note making reference to the visa on the basis of which the first extension was originally approved.

--

Maestro

Right,Maestro.The extension is for a year,if your PP expires after six months,your Imm.Office will transfer the extension to your new PP.Happened to me last year! :o