Show Me Your Watch!

thaigerd

Have a collection of nice classics but love the one my wife gave me, a Frederique Constant 'Art Deco':

:o

Simple, chique, classic....like me :D

I would say the taste of the Europeans is quite different than in the Far East.

Gold and diamonds (looks) is out, and certainly for the men 'not done' (not the Ladies, of course).

Sports watches and classics are 'in', already for a long time, but the teenagers like to to buy the gimmick (S)watches.

Watches, clothes, cars, wife(s) & Mia Nois tell more about a man than his looks........... :D

LaoPo

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

Nothing like a watch thread to bring out the Tesco Lotus clothing crowd.

:D

Having never even thought of shopping for clothing in a Lotus, Tesco, Walmart, or Costco, perhaps you could elaborate on this concept so we can all enjoy the humor.

The humor is that the pretend minimalists (not saying you are one, you may be the real deal) tend to be critical of those living just beyond or well beyond their own means but don't look to see that they themselves are living beyond the means of many as well. An adornment or fancy adjective for one is not necessarily so for the other since all things are relative. There are probably more people in the world who believe that clothing from Tesco Lotus (or whatever hypermart happens to be serving the larger 'working'/'struggling' population segments in a lot of the world) is an 'adornment' and/or 'fancy' than people who believe the same about any particular brand or item. And among them, there is probably a small group with personal issues, ready to say "you're not just wearing that one size fits all Tesco t-shirt to cover your body, but clearly just marking yourself as a member of the non-homemade clothing class, sort of like those silly tube socks that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer owns proper shoes. The continued allure of 'fancy' clothing in a time when cheaper products that can be homespun are better fitting, don't make use of child labor, etc. also demonstrates that Thorstein Heng remains the greatest American economist of all time.

One sees it all the time from these types, especially on web forums. There are all kinds of "reasons" not to own instead of rent a home, to own a larger home instead of a smaller one, to wear a 'nice' watch, to drive a 'nice' car, etc. UNTIL said person is doing exactly that... and then they get all quiet. It's almost like watching an infant trying to learn to self soothe. It's kind of amusing and slightly pitiful (but cute) at the same time.

heng this was a sick post. nice job.

As I see it, a nice timepiece is essential for a Gentleman.

I am little surprised that arguably the most quintessential neo-sahib statement on ThaiVisa to date has appeared in this thread, a thread I thought had long passed its time.

Chaiyo

I always had a seiko, show's the day & date, I need to know the day!, not many watches do that these days.

Current one bought whilst serving in Army on the Rhine early 90,s I think. A NAAFI special.

Robust thing though kinetic thingie starting to play up, packs in if not worn every daypost-44176-1192612666.jpg

And don't get me started about those neo-sahibs and their "pants."

I think any neo-sahib worth his gin ration would be wearing one one these rather splendid "fob" watches, no?

With the added advantage that whilst being worn inside a Gentlemen's dress jacket or blouson, it might stop a stray bullet fired by some pesky native blighter.... :D

post-32068-1192613723_thumb.jpg

I always had a seiko, show's the day & date, I need to know the day!, not many watches do that these days.

I've got a nerd's watch - Casio DB2000 'Hotbiz' Databank. I like it because it shows the day, year, month & date and can store hundreds of phone numbers and other stuff.

20070714221601.jpg

I've had it at least 10 years, and had the battery changed in a watch shop on Sukhumvit opposite Ben Jasiri park, next to the Emporium. And the guy managed to do it without losing the data. Phew!

I swear by my 'Hopalong Cassidy' watch my father bought me in the early 60's Certainly turns a few heads. I recently lost my Seiko Diver's Automatic watch, when ironically I hit a large puddle driving home on my motor cycle, pissed in the early hours. B*gger..........

Hey I had one of those..my first watch :D God knows what happened to it though..think my folks sold it when they were on hard times along with my pedal jeep :o

How long have you had that Pathfinder? I've just read (AFTER I ordered a tough solar myself a few days ago) through a few watch forums that some folks have had issues with the CTL 1616 rechargeable battery -that you supposedly never have to change... I know nothing is forever... but say 15-20 years would be awesome, they'll probably have water powered watches by then- copping out within 1-2 years.

Hopefully just a few bad apples out of tens of thousands sold as I'm now waiting on my Casio GW-9000A-1 Solar Atomic Mudman from gshock.com. Also got a somewhat matching (black anyway) Baby G Sweet Poison for my wife, non-solar, hoping mine won't die first. ...Whereas I will no doubt get a "som nam nar... you should have just got one with a regular 3-5 year battery that is 100 Baht per battery change, now you're going to have to send that back to the Casio service center.... in America. som!"

Hi :o

I have always been a fan of Casio watches (well since i was 10 or so and got one with a calculator - i was the first in my school to have a calculator watch!) and over time have built up a whole collection of them.

Today i still own a first-generation G-Shock (altough it has disintegrated - the air in Bangkok seems to be very corrosive and everything "rubber" just falls apart after months of not wearing it) and a first-generation "TwinCept", which also has it's band disintegrate. Further i own several "Data Bank" models, all with the same fate - disintegrating bands. I also own a first-generation Casio "Wrist Camera", a watch with a built-in black/white digital camera and IR-link to upload the photos to a computer :D

But over the last few years i went back to good old analogue - first with a "Titus" Chronograph which worked great at first but started playing up after little over a year and instead of having it fixed i sold it and got me a nice, mechanical, Seiko.

It's a regular "Seiko 5" automatic movement, stainless steel band and case, glass bottom, black-ish dial and day/date display, crown at 4 o' clock, WR 50 meters. I used to wear it daily, never has let me down and goes reasonably accurate for a 2.000 Baht watch (+25 seconds/week).

Two months ago i inherited a similar "Seiko 5" watch which is stainless steel with gold-plated parts on the band, golden hands and golden-ish dial (more "old man style") and when i got that one it was 2 minutes/week fast. I took it to a small watch maker who sold Seikos, told him it's 2 minutes per week fast, and he adjusted it - took about five minutes (!!) and now this watch beats any of my Casio's - ONE SECOND in TWO weeks fast :D Eat that, Rolex..... As a result i am wearing that one every other day now even tough it doesn't really match to a 32-year old guy who rides a Yamaha rat/junkbike and wears jeans and t-shirt - however i love those Seikos. When i'm not wearing one of them (as i alternate them now) i will give it some shaking every evening for a couple of minutes to keep it wound up and going, as they can't be hand-wound.

I can only recommend Seiko "5" to everyone, after you bought one have it adjusted tough as they can be completely off ex-factory.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Get yourself a Casio G-Shock. They're good enough to be certified by NASA for spaceflights so they should last a while down here :D

True, but don't use them in a helium environment that's under pressure (a saturation diving system for example). They always "spit the dummy' on decompression..

This watch however, was made to do just that.

Great investment as well. :o

post-31110-1192799991_thumb.jpg

Hi :D

I have always been a fan of Casio watches (well since i was 10 or so and got one with a calculator - i was the first in my school to have a calculator watch!) and over time have built up a whole collection of them.

Today i still own a first-generation G-Shock (altough it has disintegrated - the air in Bangkok seems to be very corrosive and everything "rubber" just falls apart after months of not wearing it) and a first-generation "TwinCept", which also has it's band disintegrate. Further i own several "Data Bank" models, all with the same fate - disintegrating bands. I also own a first-generation Casio "Wrist Camera", a watch with a built-in black/white digital camera and IR-link to upload the photos to a computer :D

I am so relieved that other posters like Casio too! I used to be a little bit ashamed of mine - thinking it was a "nerd's" watch :D

I also had a previous model "databank" watch - this one:

IMG_2051.jpg

In fact, I had two of them. The first one's 'keyboard' disintegrated after 4 or 5 years - the rubber started breaking up, so I bought an identical one. And it suffered exactly the same problem! :o Twice bitten, third time shy, I bought the newer model with metal buttons instead of the keyboard.

I still trust my Rolex-lookalike Seiko. Works just fine.

Had it fixed twice now here in Thailand. Each time was from accidentally dropping it on a hard floor and having one of the hour markers break off and end up jamming the hands.

Both times had it fixed by the sidewalk repair vendors, and each time for ONLY 20B! :o

One of the truly uncommon bargains to be had here...

I am so relieved that other posters like Casio too! I used to be a little bit ashamed of mine - thinking it was a "nerd's" watch :bah:

I also had a previous model "databank" watch - this one:

IMG_2051.jpg

In fact, I had two of them. The first one's 'keyboard' disintegrated after 4 or 5 years - the rubber started breaking up, so I bought an identical one. And it suffered exactly the same problem! :o Twice bitten, third time shy, I bought the newer model with metal buttons instead of the keyboard.

Nice to see a fellow "Data Banker" :D Yours is the DBC-610, of which i had the black "brother" DBC-61. It's one of the few i still own to date, i also used to have it's predecessor DBC-60 (it was the first of that series where the "matrix" part of the display was five characters only and the schedule indicator had no vertical lines, that one is an absolute collector's item nowadays.... unfortunately i don't have it anymore..... ) Of the DBC-61 i had two - the first one, like yours, suffered from a keypad that "left" it's case (i've worn that watch doing construction labour!) and the second one is so far still fully functional, altough also quitebeaten up.

I have also still the one that came after it (again the black version) DBC-62 which has the exact same module inside but a slightly diferently styled case (rounded instead of "two parts tilted") and i used to have (got it stolen!) the DBC-63 which i believe was the last in the DBC-series (newer are called DBX) which was identical too but had larger memory (100 data sets) and the blue "illuminator" backlight.

I'm off to the hospital now, but when i'm back i'll look for the box where i keep them inside and will post a picture.

Best regards......

Thanh

• 3 years later...
Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

Nothing like a watch thread to bring out the Tesco Lotus clothing crowd.

...or the Vigo truck driving crowd.. ? :rolleyes:

Anyway I have a Tissot watch which I never wear. Not sure why I would wear one when any phone tells you the time (AND includes calendaring, agenda, etc etc)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Go to Yaowaraj street. Lots of wristwatch shops there. Got my Citizen eco-drive. Have been using it for over 17 years. Had it fixed once. Still works perfectly to this date. No batteries. It is solar powered. Can take it underwater down to 200 m.

How are folks feeling about the offerings from Tissot? They often get overlooked, though they've been in the business for over 150 years.

I'm a big fan of the Tissot PRS 516 and have been working on a site about it: http://tissotprs516.org.

Any feedback would be welcome! :-)

I'm after a Tissot Rock Watch.

Any idea where to get one?

I like mechanical (automatic) watches and got a Seico 5. It's fast, maybe 40 seconds a day but should last for may years to come. What would be your price point? I heard, original Rolexes are cheapest in Singapore. And a man has not few options to wear je (...) If you can afford one, get a good Swiss brand watch. One problem is that the minute you walk out of the shop it will be worth a lot less. ** Some buy watches from jewellers on eBay.

Personally, I would NOT bother shopping for a used watch. Not sure if the photo of the "Omega De Ville" I bought could be uploaded.

There is nowhere that is cheaper for rolexs, they have the same retail price ,you may get some tax releif or find a non selling/slow seller somewhere, but if you see any sports rolex under retail anywhere let me know, ill buy them all especially a daytona, they list at 3700 gbp, make 5k anywhere,.

I have an Rolex Perpetual (16 years now) and I always window shop the prices on them around the world, The price is pretty constant now, but Bahrain duty free had a sale on them last fall with prices 20% off. I just about bought the wife a ladies version of mine but snapped out of it in time.

mine is on my wrist 24/7 and it is without a doubt the physically toughest watch I've ever owned,and correctly set up keeps good time for a mechanical watch. Wouldn't be without it, and hope to pass it on to my son. But at today's prices I can't see myself shelling out that much money again for some wrist jewelery