Does Having A Maid Encourage Laziness?

rixalex

Does having a maid encourage laziness?

A lot of expats here seem to have the obligitory maid (seems to come as part of the package with the shiny new Fortuner). They might argue that they have busy lives, but it seems unlikely the same people would have one were they back home. Of course the difference is here they are very cheap.

Just because they are cheap though, does having one improve your life? I guess my concern wouldn't so much be for myself, as i have a full understanding and appreciation of what it takes to take care of ones-self, having ably done that all my life (although not always been an easy job :o ), but the effect it could have on your children. I know of many kids here who seem to be missing out on some valuable life lessons, like cleaning their own bedrooms and washing the dishes. Some of them also seem to quickly develop that air of self-importance that comes from having a dogsbody to clear up their mess.

This is in no way an attack on those of you with maids; on the contrary i think it's great you are creating employment - i'm just wondering about the possible long term effects.

For the first three odd years of living in Thailand I was very un-easy about the idea of having live in full time house staff.

However, after a while, the concept grows on you....

I could do without house staff, but the nanny is an absolute must! :o

I could do without house staff

... but not without a cook when I read the parallel thread. Nothing wrong with a maid, you can get accustomed to it and have more time for more important things. That she's living full time in the house is not a necessity.

No - I find myself tidying before they come - I do not have a live in as I could not do that again unless married with kids.

not even a real ugly one? :o

I am not sure but I do not think single males are allowed live in maids in Singapore? - anyone know?

On another note my part time maid died recently - 28 year old beautiful filipina. Last time I saw her was cup final night as she liked football and a pal from Scotland visited who works in Tiblisi Georgia so we all went out - next I heard it wax pancriatis then septaceamia - total organ failure even with the best health care Singapore had to offer - I had pals who are Consultants here check but they said it can just happen like that to the fittest..

Makes one think again - she was an IT graduate and a good SAS programmer - made more as a maid than she could back home in PI?????

I am not sure but I do not think single males are allowed live in maids in Singapore? - anyone know?

On another note my part time maid died recently - 28 year old beautiful filipina. Last time I saw her was cup final night as she liked football and a pal from Scotland visited who works in Tiblisi Georgia so we all went out - next I heard it wax pancriatis then septaceamia - total organ failure even with the best health care Singapore had to offer - I had pals who are Consultants here check but they said it can just happen like that to the fittest..

Makes one think again - she was an IT graduate and a good SAS programmer - made more as a maid than she could back home in PI?????

Thats tragic. Fit & healthy to a coffin just like that. Sorry about that.

Septacemia is an awful way to go. I watched my dog died of septacemia on New Years Day just gone. Healthy one day - dead 36 hours later.

Thats tragic. Fit & healthy to a coffin just like that. Sorry about that.

Septacemia is an awful way to go. I watched my dog died of septacemia on New Years Day just gone. Healthy one day - dead 36 hours later.

I really do not know what to say

She was a great girl. bread winner for the family, people who employed her loved her and it just happened.

She was fun, I hate the cup final was so boring this year.

I can not say much more but people liked her - she was a good person.

In London we had a nanny for each of our kids and a live in maid. When we moved to the sticks in Thailand we employed some locals but it didn't work out. Now we do without them and I think in a strange way it has made the family closer.

I think (at least in my case) having a maid did encourage laziness.

So does having a wife encourages laziness too…. for "many" farangs here in Thailand.

Not really, but my Thai wife wanted a big house when we moved here to Thailand. I had it built for her. When she had to clean it, she started turning into an angry tigress. So I hired a maid. I know its sounds as though I'm lazy, but I really didn't move here, and shell out all this money, so that I could clean house all day. Having a maid is easier than putting up with a pissed off Thai wife. We can afford it here, also there seems to be a lot more dust, and dirt flying around as compared with the states. We had a pretty big place over there, but it seems it was easier to keep clean. We have a gardener too, who cuts grass etc. But thats the reason we moved here, its cheaper and we can take it easier. Personally when it comes to laziness its hard to compete with the Thais. You might remember from when you lived here. I'm sure if you are not a house wife, and have a job in the states, to help supplement your family income, you have discovered what I'm talking about.Or does having a nice Farang husband in the US encourage laziness in you, and makes you feel that you don't need to contribute to the families income?

A lot of expats here seem to have the obligitory maid (seems to come as part of the package with the shiny new Fortuner). They might argue that they have busy lives, but it seems unlikely the same people would have one were they back home. Of course the difference is here they are very cheap.

Just because they are cheap though, does having one improve your life? I guess my concern wouldn't so much be for myself, as i have a full understanding and appreciation of what it takes to take care of ones-self, having ably done that all my life (although not always been an easy job :o ), but the effect it could have on your children. I know of many kids here who seem to be missing out on some valuable life lessons, like cleaning their own bedrooms and washing the dishes. Some of them also seem to quickly develop that air of self-importance that comes from having a dogsbody to clear up their mess.

This is in no way an attack on those of you with maids; on the contrary i think it's great you are creating employment - i'm just wondering about the possible long term effects.

Having a maid is wonderful..allows us to do as we please..pleanty of golf...she keeps the house clean...garden tidy...does the washing and ironing...clears away and washes up after meals...just us two in the house...the rest of the time is hers, don't really care what she does with it, seems to spend a lot of time with her friend (another maid) next door...long may she stay with us!!!!!!! She has a bedroom and bathroom attached to the house.

We don't make a big mess for her or treat her badly...as is often the case. She always has a lovely smile..even when being told, after the fact, please only wash white with white..not white with black!!

Just because they are cheap though, does having one improve your life? I guess my concern wouldn't so much be for myself, as i have a full understanding and appreciation of what it takes to take care of ones-self, having ably done that all my life (although not always been an easy job :D ), but the effect it could have on your children. I know of many kids here who seem to be missing out on some valuable life lessons, like cleaning their own bedrooms and washing the dishes. Some of them also seem to quickly develop that air of self-importance that comes from having a dogsbody to clear up their mess.

Hasnt changed me, i was a lazy b@stard before we had one ! :o

I wouldn't call washing dishes a valuable life lesson, myself I enjoy having extra time to spend with my family because we don't have to do the mundane tasks that seem to sap all your time back in the West. I also enjoy cooking again, I've always liked it but stopped for a while back in the UK because it was just too messy, I'd spend an hour cooking and half an hour cleaning up, just wasn't worth the hassle.

The air of self importance of some children here doesn't come from having a maid, its inherited from their parents attitude.

So does having a wife encourages laziness too…. for "many" farangs here in Thailand.

Not really, but my Thai wife wanted a big house when we moved here to Thailand. I had it built for her. When she had to clean it, she started turning into an angry tigress. So I hired a maid. I know its sounds as though I'm lazy, but I really didn't move here, and shell out all this money, so that I could clean house all day. Having a maid is easier than putting up with a pissed off Thai wife. We can afford it here, also there seems to be a lot more dust, and dirt flying around as compared with the states. We had a pretty big place over there, but it seems it was easier to keep clean. We have a gardener too, who cuts grass etc. But thats the reason we moved here, its cheaper and we can take it easier. Personally when it comes to laziness its hard to compete with the Thais. You might remember from when you lived here. I'm sure if you are not a house wife, and have a job in the states, to help supplement your family income, you have discovered what I'm talking about.Or does having a nice Farang husband in the US encourage laziness in you, and makes you feel that you don't need to contribute to the families income?

No I'm afraid, mine is not a Cindellera or typ rag to riches story. :o

Housework is neither of us hobby, the philosophy is... we helped making messes, then we both should help cleaning them up!. That how it goes in our family, it’s simple as that, and each of us is doing what we’re good at.

In our family we share everything down to the wire, including contribution to the household expenses (surprise surprise!)…except “ofcourse” a life insurance! That is my definition of having “a nice farang husband”. And again we don’t have too big of a place we can’t manage.

It does if you don't have anything better to do. I would think that most people have something more constructive or at least more fun to do than sweeping, mopping, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. Same for having a nanny (I can bond with my children with a baseball and glove thanks... I'd rather not wipe up his excrement, change his diapers, bathe him everyday, etc.... although sure, doing it a few times is amusing enough), driver (I'd rather not deal with the idiots on the road out there... just look at how many people get worked up about it all), assistant (there are dozens of things one could delegate a day that are really just mindless 'busy' work), and/or a landscaper (mowing the lawn in a tropical country?... that's every 2 weeks or less, no thanks).

:o

We have had our maid two and a half years now....I can honestly say that we could not do without her.

She is pretty deaf, so has always found it hard to get employment, and was useless to start with, but my Wife perservered with her, and last year we rewarded her efforts by spending 15,000 Baht on a new hearing aid for her that has certainly improved her quality of life, although she still cannot hear the doorbell ring ...or her mobile phone when its in her pocket :D She CAN hear what we say to her from 5 feet away (if she is faing the right way). We don't expect her to cook though, but she takes care of our dog when it comes to walking and washing her.

She also cleans at our restaurant as well for a couple of hours a day which has increased her salary by 25%, She now earns more than most people in the village and is very happy in her work :o