Fish And Chips

thaimate

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cod is a massively important fish throughout history. Actually, one of the most memorable dishes I ever had in my life was at a famous restaurant in New York which served roasted cod. Imagine Portugal without cod dishes. There is a reason wild cod is so expensive: its fished out.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-73-1595/polit...my/cod_economy/

Edited by Jingthing

Cold water fish mostly have more taste than warm water fish.

Cod wins over red snapper any day (the name just sounds good)

Hope that helps

Taste is all subjective, I guess. If both are on the menu, as they are the British Clucb in Bangkok, I woulden't waste my money on the more expensive.

G

Cod is a massively important fish throughout history. Actually, one of the most memorable dishes I ever had in my life was at a famous restaurant in New York which served roasted cod. Imagine Portugal without cod dishes. There is a reason wild cod is so expensive: its fished out.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-73-1595/polit...my/cod_economy/

What a good link. (well done).

Please people go take a look at the video clip

No 9 it’s called To the last fish. very informative.

It's worth the effort.

Edited by plasticpig

Best fish & chips I've had in Pattaya is at "Neeroys" (Soi Chaiyapoom - off Soi Buakhow opposite Crazy Daves).

Fish & Chips 99 bht; mushy peas - (HOME MADE !!) - 25 bht.

More than you can eat - usually 2 pieces of fish - and "batter bits" if you're lucky.

Well worth a visit. (They do indian food as well).

Cold water fish mostly have more taste than warm water fish.

Cod wins over red snapper any day (the name just sounds good)

Hope that helps

Taste is all subjective, I guess. If both are on the menu, as they are the British Clucb in Bangkok, I woulden't waste my money on the more expensive.

G

So is it a case of taste or money?

I prefer cod.

Cheers

Best fish & chips I've had in Pattaya is at "Neeroys" (Soi Chaiyapoom - off Soi Buakhow opposite Crazy Daves).

More than you can eat - usually 2 pieces of fish - and "batter bits" if you're lucky.

I was boat owner and commercial fisherman for many years along the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico. Offshore of Alabama, Mississippi, and Lousiana. The red snapper is way overrated, but that fish keeps well on ice and is a beautiful fish. The very best fish are the deep water fish and not necessarily cold water fish. Although deeper than 200 feet is cold in most oceans. The deep water grouper is one of the best fish in the world and every country has a grouper. The cod is very good.For anyone who cooks at home SS Sausage has frozen cod that is a reasonable price and fairly good quality. The secret is the batter which is usually a beer batter. In America we call the same dish "fried fish and fries." Any questions on frying fish I can prolly answer.

What are Neeroy's hours of busness? Every time I go it is closed.

I was boat owner and commercial fisherman for many years along the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico. Offshore of Alabama, Mississippi, and Lousiana. The red snapper is way overrated, but that fish keeps well on ice and is a beautiful fish. The very best fish are the deep water fish and not necessarily cold water fish. Although deeper than 200 feet is cold in most oceans. The deep water grouper is one of the best fish in the world and every country has a grouper. The cod is very good.For anyone who cooks at home SS Sausage has frozen cod that is a reasonable price and fairly good quality. The secret is the batter which is usually a beer batter. In America we call the same dish "fried fish and fries." Any questions on frying fish I can prolly answer.

Where is SS Sausage please?

Lots of places in the US call it fish and chips; indeed there is at least one large (and bad) fish and chips chain. When I hear fried fish and fries it is usually a southern thing, like fried catfish. No take it out in a newspaper places though, it would probably be illegal.

Edited by Jingthing

NOT a southern thing but an American thing! Fish and chips in big cities to attract you tourists. SS Sausage is on second road and also known as "Be Lucky" brand. I do not know exact address and they have ad on the local tv and I think also a web site. Very friendly and good quality and they will try to help with any european or american food that you want.

Lots of places in the US call it fish and chips; indeed there is at least one large (and bad) fish and chips chain. When I hear fried fish and fries it is usually a southern thing, like fried catfish. No take it out in a newspaper places though, it would probably be illegal.

Completely wrong.

Completely wrong.

Despite the differences in terminology, the combination still has the name "fish and chips" in most American restaurants which serve the dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

What is wrong exacty?

http://www.arthurtreachers.com/locations.htm

I grew up eating fish and chips at chain restaurants. We never called the type of dish served at Arthur Treachers fried fish and fries. It is true Americans recognize the term fish and chips as British in origin, but they understand it and use the term as well when thinking of this British origin style dish. Yes, there are restaurants that aren't pushing a British theme that will just call it fried fish and fries, but in those places you are unlikely to be offered vinegar.

Edited by Jingthing

Completely wrong.

Despite the differences in terminology, the combination still has the name "fish and chips" in most American restaurants which serve the dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

What is wrong exacty?

http://www.arthurtreachers.com/locations.htm

I grew up eating fish and chips at chain restaurants. We never called the type of dish served at Arthur Treachers fried fish and fries. It is true Americans recognize the term fish and chips as British in origin, but they understand it and use the term as well when thinking of this British origin style dish. Yes, there are restaurants that aren't pushing a British theme that will just call it fried fish and fries, but in those places you are unlikely to be offered vinegar.

What would one use vinegar for? What is wrong exactly is any good restaraunt in America would have on the menu "fried cod, fried snapper, fried grouper, fried mullet, or maybe "catch of the day." One may find fish and chips on a menu in New York or Los Angeles, but not in most coastal towns or cities. Fish and chips per sa may be British but fried fish and fries has nothing to do with British. Fast food joints do anything for marketing.

Sorry you are wrong, no big deal. I have lived all over the US. Fish and chips served British style with vinagar and tartar sauce is found all over the US. It is called ... fish and chips. Often, the fries are not large cut British stlye but more American thin style. If you offered Americans mushy peas, they might punch you in the face. If you don't know why you would want vinegar with fish and chips, well, you have really proven your vast knowledge on the subject.

Edited by Jingthing

NOT a southern thing but an American thing! Fish and chips in big cities to attract you tourists. SS Sausage is on second road and also known as "Be Lucky" brand. I do not know exact address and they have ad on the local tv and I think also a web site. Very friendly and good quality and they will try to help with any european or american food that you want.

Sorry to bother you again but could you be more specific. Between where and where; near such and such; right side or left side coming from Jomthien. Many thanks.

Sorry you are wrong, no big deal. I have lived all over the US. Fish and chips served British style with vinagar and tartar sauce is found all over the US. It is called ... fish and chips. Often, the fries are not large cut British stlye but more American thin style. If you offered Americans mushy peas, they might punch you in the face. If you don't know why you would want vinegar with fish and chips, well, you have really proven your vast knowledge on the subject.

Like I said, you are wrong and arrogant. There is nothing about fish and chips along the coast in America. The only thing British is that we left.

Like I said, you are wrong and arrogant. There is nothing about fish and chips along the coast in America. The only thing British is that we left.

OK, you win! I don't care!

I guess I was living in some kind of alternative universe during my last 50 years living all over the US, growing up on the east coast. Oh, and Wiki is wrong. Can't trust Wiki!

Edited by Jingthing

I was born " up north" where you got real fish and chips, and Hollands pies& puddings. I find it hard to believe you left blighty far behind, to live in Thailand, for one reason or another and your desperate for f&c, just to remind you this LOS, not Doncaster,or Accrington!

Seriously though,please remember your in Asia by your own choice, try to keep it Asian,try eating the local produce? Thai food is great!

I was born " up north" where you got real fish and chips, and Hollands pies& puddings. I find it hard to believe you left blighty far behind, to live in Thailand, for one reason or another and your desperate for f&c, just to remind you this LOS, not Doncaster,or Accrington!

Seriously though,please remember your in Asia by your own choice, try to keep it Asian,try eating the local produce? Thai food is great!

It is quite normal for expats to enjoy a variety of foods, Thai food, their home country food, and other countries foods. Why limit yourselves? Many of us ate a variety of stuff before. Once the novelty passes of good cheap Thai food everyday, you go back to your old and wise ways of savoring variety. It is true many people from all countries will only eat their home country food wherever they go, and that is too bad ...

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ...

Fish and chips fried in Lard. (nasty stuff)

In defence of Simon or anyone that sells fish and chips its not a meal you take away unless eaten outside in newspaper, I would certainly never order it for home delivery as it will be a soggy mess.

That is rubbish. In the North East of England I used to finish swimming training on a Friday night about 8pm and we'd always get a fish supper from Stantons, wrapped up in newspaper and driven home some 10 to 15 minutes away. Always hot, perfect and just like the restaurant.

that was 30 years ago. See how far we have regressed ?