Fish And Chips

thaimate

have been taking the familly to simons fish and chip restaurant in jomtien now for some time. cod and real british chips excellent ,also terrific home made burgers and thai food ,i highly recomend it.

situated 413/141 moo 12 jomtien ,go down the hill from thepprasit turn at the bottom where the rd bends to the right (to the left takes you to immegration) towards beach ,about 100 yds on the right.

you wont be disapointed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was there (and I do mean the last time because having a waitress throw a coupon right in my face, she could have poked an eye out, is not something you forget) the so called Icelandic cod tasted like local fish. I had tasted the real thing before there and it was very excellent, but at those prices, substituting cheap fish for dear is not excusable. Just based on my taste buds, no way I can prove it. You can believe me or not but I consider myself to have good taste buds. The chips are really good though and it comes with all the trimmings. Maybe you will be luckier ...

If you want some nice cheap local fish near to Simons in Jomtien (huge portion) at cheap prices go to Jits. Turn into the road by the Hanuman statue and follow it as if going towards immigration and View Talay Residence, its in a new strip mall on the right hand side. No tartar sauce, which is weird, but a solid meal not acting like something it ain't (see above).

Edited by Jingthing

I only used Simon's once and was disappointed. We stopped to order a takeaway around 7 pm and it took a very, very long time to fill the order (for 2). On opening up back at my buddies condo round the corner, it wasn't very hot and the batter and chips were both soggy. I reckoned that maybe we were early and they had just turned the fat on and gave us boiled-in-oil fish and chips whereas the key to good taste and crispness is hot, fresh frying fat.

However, that was maybe a one-off so I will try again on my next visit.

Edited by NanLaew

Like NanLaew, My first Simon order was take away. VERY soggy, with the breading falling off the soggy fish and potatoes too disgusting to describe.

I complained and got NOTHING. The farang I was talking to did say that they would try better next time. Ha!, next time.

However, my hunger drove me to a next time at the shop. Once again the fish was soggy and this time I do not think it was cod. The fries were oily, but not soggy and falling apart this time.

I doubt I will try again.

kdf

Aha!

I do not think it was cod.

For those who don't know the place, they have two choices of fish, moderately priced local fish and high priced premium imported cod. There is nothing more annoying to me than to pay for premium and get the cheap stuff. Actually, does anyone know if there is a Thai law against this? I did pm the owner a while back with my concerns about passing local fish for imported cod, but no reply.

This isn't the only place this kind of thing has happened to me in Thailand. There is a steak counter at Central World Plaza Bangkok which offers imported steak. The first time I went it tasted imported and also great value. I went again and it was definitely not imported, dead on Thai beef. I knew it was really fishy when the one guy working there handed me a hand written "bill" on a napkin.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, perhaps they should offer only imported cod there and stop stocking the cheap stuff. Then no danger they will pass off the cheap stuff when they run low on the good stuff, or think they have a sucker who can't taste the difference. Hint: Americans know what cod tastes like too, ever hear of Cape Cod?

Edited by Jingthing

Aha!
I do not think it was cod.

For those who don't know the place, they have two choices of fish, moderately priced local fish and high priced premium imported cod. There is nothing more annoying to me than to pay for premium and get the cheap stuff. Actually, does anyone know if there is a Thai law against this? I did pm the owner a while back with my concerns about passing local fish for imported cod, but no reply.

This isn't the only place this kind of thing has happened to me in Thailand. There is a steak counter at Central World Plaza Bangkok which offers imported steak. The first time I went it tasted imported and also great value. I went again and it was definitely not imported, dead on Thai beef. I knew it was really fishy when the one guy working there handed me a hand written "bill" on a napkin.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, perhaps they should offer only imported cod there and stop stocking the cheap stuff. Then no danger they will pass off the cheap stuff when they run low on the good stuff, or think they have a sucker who can't taste the difference. Hint: Americans know what cod tastes like too, ever hear of Cape Cod?

:o:D:D:D

In defence of Simon or anyone that sells fish and chips its not a meal you take away unless eaten outside in newspaper, I would certainly never order it for home delivery as it will be a soggy mess.

That is a good point; fish and chips generally don't travel well.

But consider this. I buy 3 'fish suppers' (fish & chips) at Bridge of Don. I wait 10 minutes while they fry it up fresh before wrapping in newsprint and then a 25 minute drive home to Mintlaw. The fish and chips are still crisp and hot.

I wait 25 minutes while they boil in oil at Simons, wrap them up and then a 2 minute drive to the condo. It's all warm and soggy and needs microwaving.

And this was after a good afternoons pub crawl where alcohol fueled hunger tends to make everything taste great.

BTW, I have tried Jit's across the way as well. Nothing to write home about but very acceptable and good value. Once my girlfriend sussed it out, she bought Pacific dory fillets from Best and some frozen chips. I don't know what brand of batter mix she uses but my fish and chips are now home made and the best in Pattaya IMHO. Still working on the mushy peas tho!

Yeah, I agree Jits fish and chips is not special, but it is serviceable, friendly, aim to please, and no trickery.

I hear Jits is now doing catering for some party events around town, fish and chips in a newspaper for you traditionalists. So if you have an event for the Brits, you know where to go.

Edited by Jingthing

Must admit Simple Simons ( Jomtien) did me one night had the cod

and chips it was like a bit of old rubber.

Would not have minded but he did a bit of a sales pitch of how good it would be.

I never went back.

Breakfast is good but that’s it for me.

Edited by plasticpig

The best place for me for the last 5 years, I would say

Was the thumbs up restaurant in soi 6 for fish and chips.

It was some local fish but very nice, loads of it and chips were great served with peas and bread n butter.

Big sorry to say after last trip down, to up date my library card in soi 6.

It was now a Go Go/St bar.

Sad loss. :o

Sad loss??? Your favorite chippie replaced by a ST bar?

Can you imagine if that happened in Britain?

Where are your values sir???!!!

have been taking the familly to simons fish and chip restaurant in jomtien now for some time. cod and real british chips excellent ,also terrific home made burgers and thai food ,i highly recomend it.

situated 413/141 moo 12 jomtien ,go down the hill from thepprasit turn at the bottom where the rd bends to the right (to the left takes you to immegration) towards beach ,about 100 yds on the right.

you wont be disapointed.

Aha! It's not cod, it's spam!

Mods!!!

In defence of Simon or anyone that sells fish and chips its not a meal you take away unless eaten outside in newspaper, I would certainly never order it for home delivery as it will be a soggy mess.

Yes Basset you are of course correct in the take outability of Fish and Chips.

You are a gentleman, as always, in offering this as a possible explanation for some of the folks experiences here.

However, I live about a 5 minute drive from Simon's and it suffered more than I would expect from that. Mistakes can happen, perhaps it was overlooked on the counter too long, but how did they manage to add sooo much grease?

MY second Simon meal at the place, confirmed my concerns. Fish bad. My wife, a true hamburger lover, could not eat what she was served either.

kdf

My favourite is good old "Seaside 2" on Soi Chaiyapoon. Occasionally it isn't great, but nine times out of then the fish is plentiful and delicious and NEVER greasy. They use a local fish which is a bit like cod.

On the occasions i eat fish and chips in Pattaya i must agree that seasiders is very good however i much prefer the real thai food down the road at Crazy Dave's, their pie and mash is delicious!

well ,i must be going on the good days,although i must admit fish doesnt travel well in those containers makes the batter soft.

but always had good burgers and chips there and my lad said the cod was ok. also thai food good ,but yes not very fast service.

I've tried several places around town and have been disappointed more often than not.

However, one place that surprised me was OOY'S Fish & Chips on Soi Khao Talo. Its about 2km up on the right hand side before the New Inn.

It was very quiet there but the food was excellent. Best F&C I have had here.

Cheers

HoJo

Sad loss??? Your favorite chippie replaced by a ST bar?

Can you imagine if that happened in Britain?

Where are your values sir???!!!

Which was cheaper ?