Vietnam Visa Info

cdnvic

I just returned from Saigon. Before going I paid BT$800 for a visa on arrival service. However, at the airport people were going to the visa window, getting an application, filling it out and with your passport and a photo were getting the visa. You also had to pay the fee. It seems that all those companies charging for this service have been cut out.

Has anyone else seen or done this?

----------------

See my post about the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok and what you actually get on-line.

Also there is a posted notice in Vietnamese and English in the embassy in Thailand about those services.

While they are indeed legal the Vietnamese embassy want's to make it very clear that:

1, There is NO official Vietnamese government service for purchasing on-line visas to Vietnam.

2. Therefore they are all private services.

3, For that reason, the Vietnamese government will accept NO RESPONSIBILTY if anyone using the services of the on-line companies loses any money or has their personal data sold or stolen while using an on-line company.

While most of these companies are honest and provide a good service, use your common sense about giving out your personal (especially financial) data.

Just remember, no matter what the name of the on-line company is, there is NO OFFICAL VIETNAMESE GOVERNMENT SPONSORED on-line visa service.

I'm off to Vietnam next month and require a visa.

Does anyone have updated info on the visa on arrival service?

Particularly whether I should arrange this before travelling....pick it up in the embassy in Bangkok or at the airport in HCMC.

Thanks.

I would just go apply at the embassy. they are centrally located on wireless road. check their website to see if you need to make an appointment or simply show up I suppose?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just applied for my tourist visa yesterday.

Four day notice visa 2000 baht (eg apply on 8th, receive visa 11th)

Same day visa 2700 baht (based on another persons application)

I believe that there is a next-day visa also available which will cost inbetween the above prices.

I could not see any official price list posted in the visa office (or indeed on the Internet) so this is ones first introduction to the real land of scams.

• 1 month later...

Vietnam Visa upon arrival fee

Cost/person (USD)

Standard processing

Stamp fee

1-2 pax

3-5 pax

6-9 pax

10 pax and more

Single entry

1 month

$18

$15

$12

$10

$45

3 months

$30

$28

$26

$24

$45

Multiple entries

1 month

$25

$23

$19

$17

$65

3 months

$50

$48

$45

$42

$95

Insight Asia Travel

HEAD OFFICE

Address: No. 1 Do Hanh Street

Ha Noi, Vietnam

Tel: (84-4) 3 9334 647

Fax: (84-4) 3 9334 636

Email: [email protected]

Guide: Citizens or residents in Viet Nam can choose between two options to get a Vietnam Visa:

- One, reaching the Vietnam Embassy in Viet Nam to apply for a visa by yourself (see the above address); or

- Two, applying online at Click here for a Vietnam visa on arrival (Get your Vietnam Visa approval letter before you go and pickup Vietnam visa at Vietnam international airport within 1 or 2 working days).

Just applied for my tourist visa yesterday.

Four day notice visa 2000 baht (eg apply on 8th, receive visa 11th)

Same day visa 2700 baht (based on another persons application)

I believe that there is a next-day visa also available which will cost inbetween the above prices.

I could not see any official price list posted in the visa office (or indeed on the Internet) so this is ones first introduction to the real land of scams.

Looks like the visa price went up a couple of hundred Baht in the last 6 years, it used to be 1,800 Baht for a 4 day regular visa and 2,500 for a same day.

• 2 months later...

Would someone in the know please guide me here? Am I to assume that you cannot arrive at Saigon without either an embassy issued visa in your passport or a visa approval letter. I cannot just turn up, fill in the Application form add photos and pay the $USD45 for a 30 day tourist visa.

Would someone in the know please guide me here? Am I to assume that you cannot arrive at Saigon without either an embassy issued visa in your passport or a visa approval letter. I cannot just turn up, fill in the Application form add photos and pay the $USD45 for a 30 day tourist visa.

Depends on your nationality

Thanks for the reply. My bad for not saying that I have an Australian Passport. Can I just turn up and ask for a 30 day tourist visa?

Should I need a VOA Approval letter http://cheapvietnamvisa.net say they can get one for USD8 whereas all they others I looked at wanted USD20. Is there something I am missing here? 2000 baht if I get it at the Vietnam Embassy in BKK; USD45 (~1400 baht) at Saigon.

TIA

I'm on an Australian passport and the last time I was in Vietnam I got myself a 1 month tourist visa prior to arrival. If you want the "visa on arrival" you still need to apply for it and bring the paperwork before you get there. A few Aussies I met thought there was a 30 day on arrival and were turned back. If you have time get a visa before you arrive as it saves you queuing up at a window waiting with anywhere from 20-50 other people. I did it once and was waiting for over an hour. Every time I fly into HCMC now I look at the people herded around that window and am glad that I arranged for my visa prior to arrival and I'm generally out and in a taxi in 10 minutes or less.

Thanks for the reply. My bad for not saying that I have an Australian Passport. Can I just turn up and ask for a 30 day tourist visa?

Should I need a VOA Approval letter http://cheapvietnamvisa.net say they can get one for USD8 whereas all they others I looked at wanted USD20. Is there something I am missing here? 2000 baht if I get it at the Vietnam Embassy in BKK; USD45 (~1400 baht) at Saigon.

TIA

Then yes, as an Aussie you need a visa.

As tfc posted better to have it before you arrive in VN to avoid the scrum at the desk if the VN embassy in BKK, or elsewhere, is convenient for you, The embassy is always empty and it's a straightforward in and out process but you have to make it clear to them you don't want the express 1 day service as they automatically charge you the fee for that service.

TIA

I used the organisation at URL below, very efficient and no problems

www.myvietnamvisa.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine from UK is visiting T/L later this year. Wants to visit the North, then overland via Laos to VN. Then return via Cambodia. Doesn't know how long he'll be in T/L & Laos before going to VN, but wants to spend close to 30 days in VN.

As I understand it he can get Visa on arrival for Laos and Cambodia via overland border crossings, but will require a prearranged visa already in his PP for crossing overland into VN.

Is it better to get the VN visa from UK before starting, or in BKK (or does BKK just give the approval letter for a VoA)?

(or could he even get one in Laos just before entering?)

Can a 30 day visa be post-dated, i.e. is it 30 days stay allowed, or is it valid 30 days from date of issue?

Thanks in advance,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have a Uk passprot and am looking into getting a visa for Vietnam, I live in Pattaya does anyone know of any companies that can organise my visa for me without me going to Bangkok? Also I have seen you can apply online without having to send your passport, does anyone know if these companies are reputable and trustworthy? I am flying to and from vietnam.

Thanks in advance

May

Question: I will be landing in Manila with a r/t ticket leaving 36 days after I arrive, i.e., more than the 30-day visa exemption period. I also have a r/t ticket to Vietnam in the middle of those 36 days (I'll be in Vietnam/Thailand/Malaysia). That should be kosher, right, as I have an onward ticket?

Please say yes. facepalm.gif

A friend of mine from UK is visiting T/L later this year. Wants to visit the North, then overland via Laos to VN. Then return via Cambodia. Doesn't know how long he'll be in T/L & Laos before going to VN, but wants to spend close to 30 days in VN.

As I understand it he can get Visa on arrival for Laos and Cambodia via overland border crossings, but will require a prearranged visa already in his PP for crossing overland into VN.

Is it better to get the VN visa from UK before starting, or in BKK (or does BKK just give the approval letter for a VoA)?

(or could he even get one in Laos just before entering?)

Can a 30 day visa be post-dated, i.e. is it 30 days stay allowed, or is it valid 30 days from date of issue?

Thanks in advance,

Hi

I have a Uk passprot and am looking into getting a visa for Vietnam, I live in Pattaya does anyone know of any companies that can organise my visa for me without me going to Bangkok? Also I have seen you can apply online without having to send your passport, does anyone know if these companies are reputable and trustworthy? I am flying to and from vietnam.

Thanks in advance

May

My understanding of Vietnam visa is that (for certain passports; UK should be ok) if you are flying in, you can get visa on arrival at airport, BUT you must have a printed letter of invitation from a Vietnam tour company in addition to the visa fee. ;b++){var>

I used this company: http://www.vietnamvisabooking.com $15 USD. You receive the letter via email....print it out and take it with you BEFORE you arrive. You dont want to obtain the invite letter at the last minute, as the pricing for those who procrastinated or didnt research visa requirements ahead of time will be insane.

Make sure you bring USD to pay for the visa on arrival; the VoA will not do exchanges. Not Thai Baht, GBP, CHF, etc. It would be wise to have $20, $10, $5 bills, not only for the VoA, but for taxi, guesthouses, smaller shops, etc. Save the larger bills for exchange or larger shops once you get settled. A few 1 dollar bills might be helpful also. No coins. The separate exchange at the airport will most likely be unfavorable. Another expat might be willing to exchange if they have extra dollars, but don't rely on that. Fees for visa on arrival start at $45 usd (~1500 baht) for single entry, one month visa.

Land borders require a visa from a consulate prior to visiting unless you have a passport from a visa-exempt country. You might realize that the cost (money + time) of going by land can be offset by going via plane from Bangkok or another major city in Thailand (and maybe other neighbor countries also); AirAsia seems to be popular...try to book 1-2 weeks out, but even a few days prior a one way ticket should not exceed $70 USD. Just for kicks, look at this screenshot :

post-109486-0-48587900-1394080517_thumb.

(act now)

I suppose you could still get a visa from a consulate AND then fly over....seems like more hassle and unnecessary risk of letting your passport out of your site, but up to you.

Thanks 4evermaat.. My friend will be visiting Chaing Mai/Rai and then wants to visit Laos... Seems a bit of a hassle to go all the way back to bangkok just to fly into VN...Maybe if they decide not to go to Laos then it'll be worth backtracking to Bangkok to fly in..

Thanks 4evermaat.. My friend will be visiting Chaing Mai/Rai and then wants to visit Laos... Seems a bit of a hassle to go all the way back to bangkok just to fly into VN...Maybe if they decide not to go to Laos then it'll be worth backtracking to Bangkok to fly in..

I kind of posted hastily and then ran out with my toddler. On re-reading it, I did not take into account if you were already in Laos/Cambodia. I cannot speak for Laos, but Vietnam embassy in Cambodia (Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh) is supposed to be very easy. Sihanouk is supposed to be the fastest for do-it-yourself in person. For those passing through Phnom Penh or Siem Reap, there is a tour company 5 Oceans Co Ltd that should be able to take care of it for you; price will probably be cheaper at a proper tour company / guesthouse than doing it yourself in PP. Allow 1-2 business days for PP, more cost if same day service is needed (Siem Ream needs an extra day as there is no consulate there, may be extra $5 also). There was another tour company in Siem Reap that a friend trusted to do a Cambodian 6 month visa, but I cannot remember the name. Maybe another member can confirm.

I remember thinking about doing it in Malaysia, but I hear that the pricing of the Vienam visa can actually vary (increase rolleyes.gif ) from consulate to consulate; plus transportation cost to get there and wait for next day service. And the Vietnam consulate in Bangkok was too slow for my schedule at the time. That was one of the main reasons why I went by air when I did.

The USD situation is still the same. But cambodia atms dispense USD....I think Canadia bank ATMs have no fee. Should be no problems obtaining USD....although I would exchange my THB to USD prior to leaving Thailand.

I forgot to mention before that the airport Visa on Arrival for Vietnam (HCMC), even if you get in line first, may take an extra 20-40 min for them to issue the visa. Not sure what the holdup was. I think earlier posts mentioned the other requirements for visa, air or land (1 or 2 passport size photos, completed visa application form)

But just to re-summarize, you should have no problems in Cambodia for Vietnam visa as long as you are passing through Phnom Penh (quick and easy), Sihanoukville, or Siem Reap (easy, but extra day turnaround needed). You can then use this visa for land or air entry into Vietnam.

PS: That plane ticket was a good deal though for 7 day notice. It would come out to be about 1700 YHB maxing out prepaid luggage fees if you needed that.

edit: You can still go to Vietnam embassy in PP in person if you want. Go in the morning and you can pick it back up next day afternoon Hours:

Morning: 8:30-11:45

Afternoon: 13:30-17:00

Saturday: 8:00-11:30

Public Holidays Closed (Cambodia or Vietnam)

You can get rush service (20 min) for $10 more; might be a little more on Saturday rush requests..

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

Thanks again - great info there...

I think they've now decided to get the VN visa from London even before coming to the region - probably easiest as they aren't planning on spending any time in BKK.

On a side issue, I have some friends in T/L now planning to fly to VN in a couple of days.....Unfortunately none of the local banks are able to supply much in the way of $, although they've managed to scrape together just enough to get their VoA's and a taxi from the airport....So it does pay to plan well ahead.....

Edited by steve73

Thanks again - great info there...

I think they've now decided to get the VN visa from London even before coming to the region - probably easiest as they aren't planning on spending any time in BKK.

On a side issue, I have some friends in T/L now planning to fly to VN in a couple of days.....Unfortunately none of the local banks are able to supply much in the way of $, although they've managed to scrape together just enough to get their VoA's and a taxi from the airport....So it does pay to plan well ahead.....

I added the hours of op for PP Viet consulate. For London Vietnam consulate, can you report back the pricing for the Viet visa and what type they got? My understanding is that it will be 1.5x-2x more than what it would cost in cambodia, although that's also true for I think that was another reason why I hesitated in Malaysia (going all out of my way just to find the embassy AND still having to pay more anyway vs 2 hour flight + VoA).

Local banks will suck. They collect your USD, but they usually forward them on to the main branches in BKK. The airport would be a good place to get them if they have to go; exchanges in tourist areas/malls are somewhat limited, especially for smaller bills. (Again, no problem taking your USD) The private money exchangers are the best at having USD on hand. For example, Siam Paragon in Bangkok has a gold shop that doubles as a money exchanger for USD and the rates are good.

The banks there were worthless for smaller bills. But do try to see if you can get the larger bills ($100/$50), which the banks in a tourist area are likely to have. The Vietnam Airport VoA can break larger bills if I remember correctly, But still do try to get at least a couple of $10s and $20s (a couple of $5s would be icing on the cake, no more than 10 $1s would be necessary if you can get that kind of granularity ).

Maybe a separate thread for this for Thai private exchanger info might be appropriate, depending on where your friends are located. I was wondering this information myself. But since in my case I was traveling from Malaysia, Georgetown (Penang backpacker district) had several exchangers and you could request your USD bills however you wanted. The airport in Kuala Lumpur also had banks that would exchange out currency to USD (right in the departure gate waiting area).

• Like 1

Hi, I'm American living in Chiang Mai.... Whats my best bet on getting a visa to Vietnam? My Thai tourist visa is expiring at the end of this month, I plan on flying out around the 25th or so and want to try something new (been to Burma and Laos).

There is an AirAsia flight from here to Saigon that I plan on doing, so applying for the visa at the Viatnam embassy in Bangkok isnt really an option for me.

Is there a company in Chiang Mai who can get me the visa? Should I use the online service as mentioned above? Thanks for the advice.

Hi, I'm American living in Chiang Mai.... Whats my best bet on getting a visa to Vietnam? My Thai tourist visa is expiring at the end of this month, I plan on flying out around the 25th or so and want to try something new (been to Burma and Laos).

There is an AirAsia flight from here to Saigon that I plan on doing, so applying for the visa at the Viatnam embassy in Bangkok isnt really an option for me.

Is there a company in Chiang Mai who can get me the visa? Should I use the online service as mentioned above? Thanks for the advice.

To re summarize:

1) you can get Visa on Arrival at any of the Vietnam international airports. Bring USD with you to pay for the visa and a little extra to cover taxi and first night's guesthouse. In addition to the visa application form, visa fee, and 1 passport photo, for air arrival you will need a separate invitation letter from a Vietnam tour company. The price will vary, but $15-20 for a single entry visa is reasonable if you do it at least 2 days before you intend to fly (obviously earlier is better). you must print it and take it with you before you go on the plane. I used http://www.vietnamvisabooking.com/ but I also heard about http://www.vietnamvisapro.com/

This is perhaps the cheapest and most convenient method if traveling by air.

2a) You can attempt to obtain the visa at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok. Good luck; would suggest 4 [business] day minimum lead time to have visa ready for pickup. Prices are appx $60 USD (1900 baht) for the single entry visa, but if rush service is needed prepare for up to $90 USD (2700 baht). Not sure how the lines are, but heard they can be long.

2b) use a thai-based tour company (in Chiang Mai or wherever) to do it for you. Maybe other members will respond, but I'm sure you will pay more for the convenience, and it might take extra 2 days minimum.

Either way, you can then either fly (recommended) or go overland by bus/train combo (seat 61 has info on this).

3) You can go overland (or air) to Cambodia and get it from PP, Sihan, or SR. Remember you'd have to still pay travel expenses, including a Cambodian visa (20-25 USD). The turnaround is faster vs Bangkok especially in PP and the actual Visa cost is cheapest. Then you can either fly or take a bus to Vietnam (if taking a bus, then obtaining visa in SR might make more sense if you are willing to wait an extra day or two; SR is closer to Saigon/HCMC ).

• 3 months later...

To re summarize:

1) you can get Visa on Arrival at any of the Vietnam international airports. Bring USD with you to pay for the visa and a little extra to cover taxi and first night's guesthouse. In addition to the visa application form, visa fee, and 1 passport photo, for air arrival you will need a separate invitation letter from a Vietnam tour company. The price will vary, but $15-20 for a single entry visa is reasonable if you do it at least 2 days before you intend to fly (obviously earlier is better). you must print it and take it with you before you go on the plane. I used http://www.vietnamvisabooking.com/ but I also heard about http://www.vietnamvisapro.com/

This is perhaps the cheapest and most convenient method if traveling by air.

2a) You can attempt to obtain the visa at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok. Good luck; would suggest 4 [business] day minimum lead time to have visa ready for pickup. Prices are appx $60 USD (1900 baht) for the single entry visa, but if rush service is needed prepare for up to $90 USD (2700 baht). Not sure how the lines are, but heard they can be long.

2b) use a thai-based tour company (in Chiang Mai or wherever) to do it for you. Maybe other members will respond, but I'm sure you will pay more for the convenience, and it might take extra 2 days minimum.

Either way, you can then either fly (recommended) or go overland by bus/train combo (seat 61 has info on this).

3) You can go overland (or air) to Cambodia and get it from PP, Sihan, or SR. Remember you'd have to still pay travel expenses, including a Cambodian visa (20-25 USD). The turnaround is faster vs Bangkok especially in PP and the actual Visa cost is cheapest. Then you can either fly or take a bus to Vietnam (if taking a bus, then obtaining visa in SR might make more sense if you are willing to wait an extra day or two; SR is closer to Saigon/HCMC ).

I have seen an on-line agency quoting me $16 for the letter plus $45 for the visa. Are there any other costs(no surprises)? I'm planning on flying from Bangkook to either Hanoi or Saigon on August 1st.