Vietnam Visa Info

cdnvic

Visa related things seem way more simple here compared to Thai. I saw some Vietnam immigration sites and it states that I do not need a Visa and can stay for 30 days as an ASEAN passport holder. I wonder is it just a simple chop at the airport or will I have to pay something?

No payment required, it's free for ASEAN also.

You can do the whole visa deal online these days, tourist or business, single or multi and pick up your visa on arrival at the airport in Vietnam. You must have your invitation in-hand to show the airline before they will let you on the plane taking your there but that is all part of the online service. Beats spending time/money getting it at an embassy or consulate.

Yes. This is true.

However, it costs 25 USD to get the invitation in hand thingy, and you still have to pay another 25 USD (1000baht!) for the visa on arrival when you get to Vietnam.

If you are close to a Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate and have the time to do it by hand, then of course it will probably be cheaper to do it in person.

The online method is very handy if you are too far from a legation or traveling at short notice.

If you can't afford 50 bucks then maybe you are really struggling to afford the plane ticket.

• 9 months later...

Is the "quick" visa still available in Sihanoukville? Or how long does one take in Pnom Penn currently? All info greatly appreciated, I'm a UK passport holder going overland to Vietnam via Cambodia and trying to avoid going into BKK to get one at the embassy there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have bad news regarding extended VISA beyond past 30 days. The Immigration department has new regulations that was introduced recently because too many travel agents has issued too many B3 Visa to too many foreigner that are not qualified...

Not employed in a business or own a business license or a worker... 2010 regulations restrict B3 renewal to work permit officially stamped for extension of VISA... very difficult to receive awork permit issued by a company voucher to pay you taxable salary

for the purpose of VISA renewal.. What happen to retire oversea? Living abroad retired?

Alternative is to receive the C1 C2 C3 tourist Visa and leave the country re-enter the country of Vietnam or to apply for a work

permit employed by Vietnam company stamping a one year VISA...

Foreigners with no family relatives, living in Vietnam for years must also follow the new VISA regulations.. there is a policy

and procedure to receive a temporary resident card that after 5 years one may apply for a permanent resident card this

card has no VISA renewal requirement but it is issued by the another immigration division of Vietnam Peoples Security office.

It is a procedure of neve ending stories trnsalted by never ending changes having no meaningful source of experienced real honest understandable intructions.

Does any reader has recent experiences with step by step procedures how to qualify as a NON working, perhaps RETIRED living abroad, word retired describing life over the age of 60...

Expatriot solution to immigration VISA extensions... people who are of no security threat, do not steal jobs from local people, do spend money same as tourist to eat and pay for lodging, do pay for living expenses and services same as any tourist, living day by day seeking a peaceful, retired life as foreigner......

your comments are welcomed perhaps begin new RESIDENT RETIRED LIVING OVERSEA immigration assistance blog.

• 1 month later...

Recently, Jan 16th, I returned from the USA and picked up my visa at the airport. It was easy and fast and I loved the service. I am an expat living in Hoi An and have had many hassels over the years with visas. Getting a 3 months work visa was a pain to say the least and this new service is great. Its safe, fast and reasonably price.

Check out www.vietnamvisaonline.net. Works just fine.

post-99457-1264149087_thumb.jpg

Edited by TommyGaz

Below is a copy from the www.vietnam-visa.com site:

For those who reside or stay in Bangkok (Thailand) at the time of waiting for the visa to Vietnam, there are two ways to get Vietnam visa, through Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok (Thailand), or get Visa on Arrival via online service:

Get Vietnam Visa through Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok (Thailand)

• Issuing unit: Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok Thailand
  • Processing time: 5 to 7 working days
  • Processing fee: 50 – 85 USD/person
  • Additional fee: Postal cost
  • With Passport requirement
  • How to get it? You reach this Embassy in person and follow the required procedures.

Get Vietnam Visa on Arrival via visa service:

• Issuing unit: Vietnam Immigration Department
  • Processing time: 1 to 2 working days
  • Processing fee: 25 USD (1 month single), 30 USD (1 month multiple), 35 USD (3 month single)…more (stamping fee NOT included)
  • Without Passport requirement
  • How to get it? You go online at http://www.vietnam-visa.com, fill in the secure form, and just wait 1-2 days until you receive your Visa Approval Letter, and take this + your passport + 2 photos to Vietnam to get your visa at airport. This seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a visa to Vietnam from Bangkok (Thailand).

Note their claim that obtaining VISA online through their services is alot cheaper than applying directly from local Vietnam Embassy.

Does this make sense???

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For those who reside or stay in Bangkok (Thailand) at the time of waiting for the visa to Vietnam, there are two ways to get Vietnam visa, through Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok (Thailand), or get Visa on Arrival via online service:

Get Vietnam Visa through Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok (Thailand)

• Issuing unit: Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok Thailand
  • Processing time: 5 to 7 working days
  • Processing fee: 50 – 85 USD/person
  • Additional fee: Postal cost
  • With Passport requirement
  • How to get it? You reach this Embassy in person and follow the required procedures.

• Processing fee: 25 USD (1 month single), 30 USD (1 month multiple), 35 USD (3 month single)…more (stamping fee NOT included)
  • How to get it? You go online at , fill in the secure form, and just wait 1-2 days until you receive your Visa Approval Letter, and take this + your passport + 2 photos to Vietnam to get your visa at airport. This seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a visa to Vietnam from Bangkok (Thailand).

Note their claim that obtaining VISA online through their services is alot cheaper than applying directly from local Vietnam Embassy.

Does this make sense???

I presume the "Visa Approval Letter" is received via email?

Foreigners with no family relatives, living in Vietnam for years must also follow the new VISA regulations.. there is a policy

and procedure to receive a temporary resident card that after 5 years one may apply for a permanent resident card this

card has no VISA renewal requirement but it is issued by the another immigration division of Vietnam Peoples Security office.

It is a procedure of neve ending stories trnsalted by never ending changes having no meaningful source of experienced real honest understandable intructions.

Can you give me some details about this temporary residence card please, and transfering to a permanent one. Which department to apply at, and location and officer if possible.

When I've asked about this in Ha Noi immigration they tell me there's no such thing.

Other foreigners that I've been in touch with that claim to have a 5 year residence visa only have the 5 year visa exemption that needs to be renewed every 90 days and is what I already have myself.

• 2 months later...

Update on Vietnam arrival procedures: There is no longer any 'landing card' being handed out on incoming flights. The VN Immigration people apparently waived this a few months ago. Otherwise, passport processing is still the same and you no longer have to worry about losing the bit of the landing card that was normally surrendered on departure.

Update on Vietnam arrival procedures: There is no longer any 'landing card' being handed out on incoming flights. The VN Immigration people apparently waived this a few months ago. Otherwise, passport processing is still the same and you no longer have to worry about losing the bit of the landing card that was normally surrendered on departure.

That's good news. FWIW we still needed to fill in these cards last month. However, we arrived by land from Cambodia, maybe that makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

Can you give me some details about this temporary residence card please, and transfering to a permanent one. Which department to apply at, and location and officer if possible.

When I've asked about this in Ha Noi immigration they tell me there's no such thing.

Other foreigners that I've been in touch with that claim to have a 5 year residence visa only have the 5 year visa exemption that needs to be renewed every 90 days and is what I already have myself.

Even though VN Immigration in Ha Noi deny that there is such a thing as a Permanent Residence visa there actually is and information about it is posted on the immigration website .

• 1 year later...

If anyone is interested....

We are currently in VN, usually get a tourist visa through the embassy in Sihanoukville in person - last year was $43. Got visa online via www.getvisavietnam.com, paid by credit card, received by email and had to be printed and presented on arrival along with a passport photo. The cost was $17 for single entry 1 month to $32 for multiple entry 3 month. You have to pay the stamping fee to immigration on arrival, $25. Very seamless, no problems. Had to wait to get visa issued at immigration, about 20 minutes, but would have been in the queue at the other desk anyway. - worked out the same price as going to Snooky without paying the Cambodia visa fee on top, but as far as I can tell this is only for air arrivals, not overland. Will post on extensions when I have the info.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This goes back to mid-March, 2012. I motored to most expats' fave agency Lucky Lucky in Phnom Penh (where I had been living) and got a one-month VN visa for $32. It was issued by the Sihanouk consulate. A couple of weeks later, I applied for a six-month visa. My multi-entry Business class visa came from the PP VN embassy. LL fee was $153. I hadn't specified Business but maybe that's the only way they come. Anyway it was legitimate, considering my GF and I started a business.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• How to get it? You go online at http://www.vietnam-visa.com, fill in the secure form, and just wait 1-2 days until you receive your Visa Approval Letter, and take this + your passport + 2 photos to Vietnam to get your visa at airport. This seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a visa to Vietnam from Bangkok (Thailand).

Does this make sense???

I've just applied on line with this company for a mate who's going over in five weeks time for three months.

He got charged $110 through the travel agent last time so we thought we'd save him a few bucks this time.

Despite both of us checking the information as we entered in the required fields, after the payment was processed the detail page that came up had the wrong year of birth on it.

I sent them an email straight away asking them to change the date but in the small print it states that the info cannot be altered.

We are positive we entered the right info so it appears something funny might be going on.

Also after completing the process up pops a page stating that because it is a three month visa there is a new rule saying that we will not receive the 'letter' until a few days before his flight.

Seems a bit suss to me.

Has anyone here had any similar problems with this crowd before?

• 4 months later...

For any Canadians trying to get a visa before leaving Canada, I called the VN embassy in Ottawa four or five times and left a message. They never answered the phone and never called back. I only wanted to know the visa fee. Any one else fare better? Anyway, I'll pick one up in BKK, as I did two years ago.

If you travel by air to vietnam, you can apply for visa on arrival as it is cheaper and much more convenient. last year my husband got one via a site Govietnamvisa without any trouble, it was quicker and much cheaper than one at embassy. there are also many other agencies offering this service quite well. you may search for yourself.

For any Canadians trying to get a visa before leaving Canada, I called the VN embassy in Ottawa four or five times and left a message. They never answered the phone and never called back. I only wanted to know the visa fee. Any one else fare better? Anyway, I'll pick one up in BKK, as I did two years ago.

If you travel by air to vietnam, you can apply for visa on arrival as it is cheaper and much more convenient. last year my husband got one via a site Govietnamvisa without any trouble, it was quicker and much cheaper than one at embassy. there are also many other agencies offering this service quite well. you may search for yourself.

-----------------

rolleyes.gif

The so-called on-line visa on arrival you are talking about costs you the equivalent of $19,99 I believe.

That money gets you a letter of approval which you can show at your arrival in Vietnam.

Then you must pay a STAMPING FEE to get the actual visa stamped into your passport,

The stamping fee is $25.00 U.S. payable on arrival in Vietnam.

Therefore the actual cost of that so-called on-line visa on arrival for Vietnam is almost $45,00 dollars U,S,

The visa here in the Vietnamese consulate in Bangkok is 1800 Thai Baht for a 4 day service, or 2300 Thai Baht for a 2 day express service.

Basically the prices are roughly the same by the time you're through. (depending on exchange rates)

And Vietnamese visa rates will increase by approximately 80% beginning on 1 January 2013,

I just went through the process here in Bangkok last week.

The English sign announcing the visa rates increase is posted at the counter in the Vietnamese consulate in Bangkok where you apply for your visa.

I've seen it.

rolleyes.gif

The fees I gave you above are for a 30 day single entry Vietnamese visa as of 29 November 2012 here in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

-----------------

rolleyes.gif

The so-called on-line visa on arrival you are talking about costs you the equivalent of $19,99 I believe.

That money gets you a letter of approval which you can show at your arrival in Vietnam.

Then you must pay a STAMPING FEE to get the actual visa stamped into your passport,

The stamping fee is $25.00 U.S. payable on arrival in Vietnam.

And Vietnamese visa rates will increase by approximately 80% beginning on 1 January 2013,

I arrived into Hanoi yesterday - 22 Feb. 2013 from Bangkok. My visa on-line was arranged by the organisation I am doing some work for here in Hanoi.

I was issued with a category C1 single entry visa; the 'stamping fee' was $45.00 US. Confirming the increase as mentioned above.

Only cash is accepted in payment of the stamping fee, but they'll take any currency and/or a mixture of.... as was evident when a lady didn't have enough cash..... she had hoped to pay by credit card but no such luck. In the end she managed to pay with a mixture of US Dollars, Euros and Thai Baht.

You also need to hand over 2 passport photographs.

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Saigon. Before going I paid BT$800 for a visa on arrival service. However, at the airport people were going to the visa window, getting an application, filling it out and with your passport and a photo were getting the visa. You also had to pay the fee. It seems that all those companies charging for this service have been cut out.

Has anyone else seen or done this?

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Saigon. Before going I paid BT$800 for a visa on arrival service. However, at the airport people were going to the visa window, getting an application, filling it out and with your passport and a photo were getting the visa. You also had to pay the fee. It seems that all those companies charging for this service have been cut out.

Has anyone else seen or done this?

I'm off to Vietnam next month and require a visa.

Does anyone have updated info on the visa on arrival service?

Particularly whether I should arrange this before travelling....pick it up in the embassy in Bangkok or at the airport in HCMC.

Thanks.

whistling.gif I made a previous post about on-line Vietnam visas.

I am now in Ho Chi Minh on a visa I received from the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok.

While many of the on-line agencies are legal and will give you good service it is important to understand this point:

You can NOT get on-line on arrival visas for Vietnam, they really are not VISAS.

What you get from those agencies is a letter of approval on-line which you print out and carry with you.

On Arrival in Vietnam you show this letter of approval and THEN a VISA stamp is placed in your passport.

At the time of that stamp on arrival you must pay a "Stamping fee" to get the actual visa stamped into your passport.

This stamping fee is currently (since 1 January 2013) is the equivalent of U.S. $45 and must be paid at the airport on arrival.

What you are paying for is the service the on-line company provides for that letter of approval which makes it possible to get the actual visa on arrival.

This is not really a scam, the information is usually there on the website explaining this for all reputable services, but many people don't take the time to read the small print, and mistakenly think they have a Vietnamese Visa when all they really have in that letter of approval and are stunned where they are told they need to pay the stamping fee of $45 on arrival.

Personally, since I was in Bangkok anyhow, I went to the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok and got my visa.

Since 1 January 2013 the fee for a single entry 1 month visa is now 2300 Baht (as I recall), All Vietnamese visas fees were raised slightly on 1 January 2013, and some on-line visa services still have the old pre-January prices listed on their website.

Presumably that will be changing soon, they just need to update their websites.

I received what the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok calls "normal 3 day service".

In actuality I applied on a Wednesday morning before 11, and returned at 1330 on Friday afternoon to pick up my visa.

Two passport photos are required when you apply. (and pay the fee at that time).

There is a "rush" 2 day service for a slightly higher fee.

A Vietnamese visa takes up a single page in your passport and you need at least another page for the entry and exit stamps also.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1