Windows Media Center Extender

george

I might want to connect my Windows Vista Ultimate PC with to my TV in order to play DVD's direct from the PC.

There is a product called Windows Media Center Extender

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

Any good reviews? Anybody using it? Can the Extender box be bought in Thailand?

Does it work good?

Do I really need this box?

Any advise appreciated!

You can set the Xbox 360 to boot into Media Centre Extender mode, so you won't be forced to go through any sort of games interface, It's the only extender available for Vista - I use it extensively and install them for my clients as well, very good - That is ONCE you have your movies in WMV format...

You can set the Xbox 360 to boot into Media Centre Extender mode, so you won't be forced to go through any sort of games interface, It's the only extender available for Vista - I use it extensively and install them for my clients as well, very good - That is ONCE you have your movies in WMV format...

Great! So exact what can I do with an Xbox360 connected to my Vista PC, if I am not in game mode?

The trick (or problem) is what your TV's connectors are and its native resolution... If your TV has a VGA plus similar to your computer monitor plug it in and boot up your computer... Now the real problem ensues... The native resolution of your TV will most likely not match your computers output... right click on the desktop and try to find a setting close to your TV...

If your TV has no VGA plug you can buy a PC Card that has an S-Video output to plug into you TV... This will look crappy as a computer but for movies it might be ok...

I would always have a PC tied into my home theater.. I might do an extender (360) for the bedroom or secondary zones.. Simplicity and remote GF friendly rules.. But for the HT its quality every time and thats PC processing..

Plus a PC can handle ALL the formats thrown at it.. Bens (once its in WMV comment is telling)..

I would always have a PC tied into my home theater.. I might do an extender (360) for the bedroom or secondary zones.. Simplicity and remote GF friendly rules.. But for the HT its quality every time and thats PC processing..

Plus a PC can handle ALL the formats thrown at it.. Bens (once its in WMV comment is telling)..

True but I'm betting the processor and graphics card in the 360 are far more powerful than the one in your PC.

Yet to have an extender crash on me, which is the real reason I use them TBH, I've never had so many problems with a video source as a PC outputting HDMI.

Yeah the PC route does have its drawbacks.. But the open system is a non negotiable item for me.. No point having massive processing if it wont decode the Hidef transport stream you have downloaded..

Buy quality band name components, good memeory and power supply. Should be stable..