Attitude!

khall64au

I lived in Phuket for some time and I don't know if it is coincidental but after the tsunami I noticed a drastic change for the worse in the general attitude of just about everybody. Not sure why but maybe some of you Phuket forum people noticed the same.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bye Bye Phuket, Ill try not to let the door hit me on the ass on my way out!

Thank you for leaving.

The last year or 2, I have seen WAY too many famiies and western couples in Patong; I go there for the decadence and in my opinion the decadence level has gone down a lot.

For the tuk-tuk drivers, I act like they don't exist. For the touts, I always keep my hands full - Bacardi rum cooler in one hand and mobile phone in the other - and they can't even try to shake my hand.

So for all of you complaining about Patong being such a hole, please tell 10 or 20 of your friends. That'll make it nicer for me :o

Thank you for leaving.

The last year or 2, I have seen WAY too many famiies and western couples in Patong; I go there for the decadence and in my opinion the decadence level has gone down a lot.

For the tuk-tuk drivers, I act like they don't exist. For the touts, I always keep my hands full - Bacardi rum cooler in one hand and mobile phone in the other - and they can't even try to shake my hand.

So for all of you complaining about Patong being such a hole, please tell 10 or 20 of your friends. That'll make it nicer for me :D

my pleasure :D

Phuket is not Patong, that is for quality tourists like yourself. :o

I lived in Phuket for some time and I don't know if it is coincidental but after the tsunami I noticed a drastic change for the worse in the general attitude of just about everybody. Not sure why but maybe some of you Phuket forum people noticed the same

You are right. It looks like the Tsunami was "propaganda" and instead of dig deep and change a few things, which was highly spoken about after the Tsunami from both the local and central Government they let Phuket float its own way.

On the top of that it looks like folk from all over the world and from every kind of the society suddenly discovered the place. Which is healthy if the place had been ready for it, but with a limited infrastructure and very few respected and enforced laws from before, it looks like everything just have gone to far.

I lived in Phuket for some time and I don't know if it is coincidental but after the tsunami I noticed a drastic change for the worse in the general attitude of just about everybody. Not sure why but maybe some of you Phuket forum people noticed the same

You are right. It looks like the Tsunami was "propaganda" and instead of dig deep and change a few things, which was highly spoken about after the Tsunami from both the local and central Government they let Phuket float its own way.

On the top of that it looks like folk from all over the world and from every kind of the society suddenly discovered the place. Which is healthy if the place had been ready for it, but with a limited infrastructure and very few respected and enforced laws from before, it looks like everything just have gone to far.

Very valid points. The central govt cut back drastically on initial funding promises to post-tsunami Phuket and private enterprise was left to reconstruct alongside local authorities with minimal budgets. Basically, the locals were left to clean up and rebuild as quickly as possible - mostly with the help of international donors and volunteers.

Since so many foreigners were generously involved in the revival of the region, I am truly disappointed in the bad attitudes so soon after. Sigh!

Thank you for leaving.

So for all of you complaining about Patong being such a hole, please tell 10 or 20 of your friends. That'll make it nicer for me :o

I guess that's a way to cope with Phuket -- just keep Bacardi streaming down one's throat all day. 555

TIP! Have a look at the latest issue of My Phuket. We list all the scammers, skimmers and pests in and around Phuket.

I missed The BP Hospital in your list!

Listed all of the scammers ? you are joking of course

Some of the biggest scammers are farang - hey just ask Steven L & Chantal, they

can express it far better than I ever can as too the scamming that is going on

( and by the way not by THEM )

Could you elaborate a little bit more what you are referring to?

Farangs in general or any specific scam?

Ok I wil try my best to explain but StevenL, Chantal & Living in Kata can all explain far better than I ever can

On travel forums as you are all aware tourists look for information and assistance !

Most of the time the information given is if use for the tourist in an unbiased manner / way

But if your a smart falang living in Phuket and are computer savvy in terms of networking with the assistance of others all sorts of con jobs are being performed - right now as we speak

Eco / green tourism - promoting rehabs that are not rehabs

Using others through the travel forums to promote your business at the expense of other legitimate businesses

Blocking the alternate views being expressed through the use of networking

Using travel forums to biase your own business

Nurturing BS so that opposing views are seen as hostile

Promoting businesses that do not have a TAT licence

Pretending to assist when in fact lining your own pocket and probably even ripping off the Thais

From some of the above examples, I hope that I have explained myself

Using others through the travel forums to promote your business at the expense of other legitimate businesses

Pretending to assist when in fact lining your own pocket and probably even ripping off the Thais

OK, i know that there are quite few people that seem to be on every forum that you can think of touting their business etc etc

but then again there are two or three that you on a lot of forums that give unbiased opinions rather than the "my shop is best my shop is best" brigade

BUT if you are saying that there are people doing this on a regular basis & you don't want to reveal their actual idenditythen at least post their user names which i assume are the same from forum to forum?

TIP! Have a look at the latest issue of My Phuket. We list all the scammers, skimmers and pests in and around Phuket.

Ok I wil try my best to explain but StevenL, Chantal & Living in Kata can all explain far better than I ever can

On travel forums as you are all aware tourists look for information and assistance !

Most of the time the information given is if use for the tourist in an unbiased manner / way

But if your a smart falang living in Phuket and are computer savvy in terms of networking with the assistance of others all sorts of con jobs are being performed - right now as we speak

Not really - this is just hearsay and difficult to give much credence to without specifics (Note: don't name names unless you are VERY sure of your facts)

Well I am now in Phuket for the first time since the Tsunami.

I live in Thailand long time, namely Pattaya, and I have to agree fully with the OP's post and his comments.

My impression thusfar from 3 days of a week long visit is that the place is over rated and over priced and the locals are amongst the least pleasant or friendly in all the main tourist area's of Thailand.

Indeed I am actually wondering when (or if at all) I will make another trip here.

Well I am now in Phuket for the first time since the Tsunami.

I live in Thailand long time, namely Pattaya, and I have to agree fully with the OP's post and his comments.

My impression thusfar from 3 days of a week long visit is that the place is over rated and over priced and the locals are amongst the least pleasant or friendly in all the main tourist area's of Thailand.

Indeed I am actually wondering when (or if at all) I will make another trip here.

For the last three years we have lived as retirees in Phuket, Kata Beach, and are, with a few minor exceptions ,very happy .

The Thai attitude is what you make it, be friendly and you will get friendly back; avoid doing business if possible, do not use a Tuk Tuk , keep out of Patong , buy your clothes from a reputable Thai Tailor, or Robinson, drive everywhere as if you were on ice and keep a wary eye open for motor bikes that drive up your right and then turn left and vice versa. Be nice to policemen and flash your Thai drivers licence if stopped, they usually go away. Be prepared for long waits at Immigration but this can be lessened if you take all the correct documents and 3 copies of everything.

Go to Bangkok if you have serious medical problems; there are two teaching hospitals,state run, which are the best and least expensive for major surgery.

This is still one of the most beautiful parts of the world ,and though some may say it is being ruined by over development, at least this has brought some good shopping Malls and better roads. But you will not persuade most Thai drivers to use both lanes of the new roads. So keep the inner lane for yourself and you will arrive much quicker and with less stress!

Think also that there is very little litter as you drive which is more than can be said for the verges of The A3 in Surrey.

We have several of the best Thai Fish Restaurants in the south and international ones of excellent quality. The markets,if you know where to go, sell fruit ,vegetables ,fish ,flowers and orchids at ridiculously low prices by Western Standards and you can create a mature garden overnight with a little know how................So don't knock Phuket..............IT IS FABULOUS>

Edited by Wellington

Not really - this is just hearsay and difficult to give much credence to without specifics (Note: don't name names unless you are VERY sure of your facts)

ITs not heresay. We are VERY SURE. VERY VERY VERY SURE and is beyond amazing the level of hypocracy and deceit. Some of us know the story and are ethical enough not to slander people on a forum. :D THat is not anyone's intention., only to provide tourist with the truth as thoseof us who know the racket have nothing to gain by revealing the truth.<p>

What amazes me the most is that any attempt to post the truth automatically gets deleted in this other forum. The moderator on an international travel forum protects the local expert who portrays himself as some kind of pillar of alturism claiming he does a charitable deed when we all know, as typical in Phuket, everything runs commission. <P> :o

It reduces the quality of the travel forum. What is grortesque is to see post praising this persons good nature when the rest of know he gets commision.

These tourist actualy think he spends half his day with tourist without any compensation out of the good of his heart. <P> then when the truth does get posted, and last for about 15 minutes people still defend him saying it does not matter, they had a great time. Then some mod deletes it.No one would care if he didnt come off saying he was some volunteer.<p>

For a while him and his forum cronies were even calling one certain tourist attraction business by the wrong name so no one could find it on their own. (And yet people still defend him. Its comical and also reflects badly on all farangs involvoed in teh tourist industry. And its frustrating, no one likes a fraud especialy whe they get away with it :D !

<p>

is it ok to mention the name of other forums in TV?

Acutally it was happening to in 2 forums.

by the way I also got tired of Phuket and went back only to discover I really missed Phuket. Comming back was refreshing and made me appreciate it much more. If I spend time with other negative expatriates then I can consequently start to feel negative about Phuket, so I tried to avoid it but of course have my days where i rant a bit. I know IM not doing anybody any favours by living here. I am free to leave. I try and be like the Thais and just accept it. I love living here too. :D

No, apparently, you can't mention other forums on Thaivisa.

This place ain't exactly a paragon of free speech.

Fair enough, this is the best one around.......

As I said before the other one is an international Travel Forum (not affiliated with Tony Wheeler) and has "local (unethical) Experts" and mods!

Edited by MisterMan

well sir burr...if you dont like it i think you know where the door is.

now, getting back to the comments about reviews etc. i know for a FACT that hotels DO write their own reviews on these sites. a manager at one hotel in phuket had it in for the manager at my hotel and wrote a fictional review of our hotel but i picked up on it as i knew this blokes nicname. very unprofessional and underhanded.

i will not name the hotels on this forum, but i know it happens.

well sir burr...if you dont like it i think you know where the door is.

now, getting back to the comments about reviews etc. i know for a FACT that hotels DO write their own reviews on these sites. a manager at one hotel in phuket had it in for the manager at my hotel and wrote a fictional review of our hotel but i picked up on it as i knew this blokes nicname. very unprofessional and underhanded.

i will not name the hotels on this forum, but i know it happens.

Donna,

You and Mister Man have articulated far better than I ever could thank you both

but as stated before it is certainly far greater than writing nasty reviews of another establishment

Captain Chaos I am more than happy to name names

- Mods how do I approach this issue

absolutely it goes further than writing nasty reviews. there is one VERY big website in particular that has a 'local' expert who is definitely on commission from hotels around the place.

for legal reasons, i dont think that we should go naming names on this forum. we dont have to play the same games as others. if you really want to 'out' someone, i suggest you do it by pm to the person asking rather than in this thread.

it is not uncommon practice for hotels to write their own reviews when they are first getting started. nobody would admit to it, but it does happen. to be honest, i HAVE answered questions about establishments i have worked at before, but this is different from a review. for example, i was working on a very small island off of phuket for a while running a small guest house. people would post on various forums asking questions about where to stay and i would jump on and answer their questions under a pseudonym saying that i had stayed at such and such a place blah blah blah.

the reason that many negative comments are wiped off is simply due to the fact that the places being slagged off are paying the wages of the people running these websites in the form of advertising.

its not such a difficult equation really.

absolutely it goes further than writing nasty reviews. there is one VERY big website in particular that has a 'local' expert who is definitely on commission from hotels around the place.

for legal reasons, i dont think that we should go naming names on this forum. we dont have to play the same games as others. if you really want to 'out' someone, i suggest you do it by pm to the person asking rather than in this thread.

it is not uncommon practice for hotels to write their own reviews when they are first getting started. nobody would admit to it, but it does happen. to be honest, i HAVE answered questions about establishments i have worked at before, but this is different from a review. for example, i was working on a very small island off of phuket for a while running a small guest house. people would post on various forums asking questions about where to stay and i would jump on and answer their questions under a pseudonym saying that i had stayed at such and such a place blah blah blah.

the reason that many negative comments are wiped off is simply due to the fact that the places being slagged off are paying the wages of the people running these websites in the form of advertising.

its not such a difficult equation really.

Don't see how you can moan about it when you yourself have taken part in exactly the same thing.

I dunno - where is one to put there family on Phuket?

Phuket - the upmarket, quality family destination!!! :o

Obviously NOT in Patong! You will have to look for a less tacky and more upmarket resort away from the sex tourism, seedy bars, crappy trinket shops and yes! even the Tuk Tuks. Do you really want your children to witness women, some being well past their prime flashing their underwear to every passing pervert? Most of them are only here on holiday for cheap sex and because women wouldn’t give them a second look in their own country. Patong is a wonderful place for a single bloke or group of mates on holiday for no more than a week. It’s not an ideal place to take a business associate to try and impress unless you know the person very well or at least be very sure he/she has an open mind will like the place.

The attitude problem is not really surprising and much the same as many European holiday resorts. You must realise that many of the people who work here have very humble origins and poor education if any. When foreigners arrive here on holiday they appear to be very wealthy and might spend in one day the same amount as a local can only hope to earn in one month or more. This kind of situation can only cause jealously and resentment especially when some of the visitors expect to be treated like royalty and even have the audacity to try and get goods and services cheaper then the already fair price.

Most things in Phuket are not expensive for a tourist and they have no right to get angry if a vendor refuses any discount. I’ve just returned from London where a Holiday Inn cost me 150 quid/night (10000b) for a standard room with no breakfast and crap service. The staff could hardly speak English and I had to carry my own luggage to the room. I’ve stayed in Patong for considerably less in a much nicer hotel with good service and good communication. Ok, as soon as you walk out of the hotel you get loads of hassle with offers for suits, cheap watches etc but so what! It happens in every seaside resort in Spain, Canaries, Greece etc and holidaymakers must be used to it by now. If not they can get a hotel taxi away from all that or they should spend a bit extra and go to a different resort. Many businesses are trying to operate in and around Patong as if it is an upmarket location, which I don’t think it ever will become due to some of the existing traders who would refuse to leave. (And rightly so)

Foreigners have no right to come here and dictate what goes on and should remember that they are guests in this country. The local people should be treated as friends and not as slaves or something out of the sewer. They are human beings and the same as everyone else and if treated well, maybe the bad attitude will slowly fade away.

The manipulation of Internet forums to promote business is widely practiced all over the world not only in Phuket. I will openly admit to using them myself to generate sales and it’s not breaking any laws. The Internet is a very large open forum and should not be relied upon 100%. It can only be used as a guide. The reasons for the posts in this forum appear to me to be of a personal vendetta to try and expose competitors. Forgive me if I’m wrong but that’s just the way it looks. Maybe should be continued as a new topic as it has nothing to do with the original post.

So there you go, hope you all enjoyed reading that lot, I’m off to the boozer now but will keep away from the touts etc

Hello Wellington and thank you for responding to my posting in your link #71.

You say, amongst other things:

1. Stay out of Patong;

2. Avoid where possible doing business here;

3. For serious ailments go to Bangkok.

And sounds to me your are here retired with your partner wanting a quiet life, and thats' fine so good luck to you.

However some of us enjoy night life etc and certain levels of efficiency and courtesy and so far Phuket for me is failing on this and other counts.

I also find the Thai people in Phuket far less friendly or pleasant than in Pattaya for instance.

Your ideas of a good time may be tending the garden but others look for their excitement in other ways.

And it is quite disturbing to hear you say about going to BKK for serious medical matters as this town is meant to be an International tourist destination; mind you agree the same principle applies in Pattaya but more easy to get to BKK from there.

So all the best to you with your roses and orchards in the garden.....

:o

even have the audacity to try and get goods and services cheaper then the already fair price.

Pl-ease have you heard some of the opening bids on the tat sold in those stalls..

Most things in Phuket are not expensive for a tourist and they have no right to get angry if a vendor refuses any discount.

usually its the other way round.. stall holders literally screaming at you should you not wish to buy the low quality tat..

Edited by LivinLOS

The reasons for the posts in this forum appear to me to be of a personal vendetta to try and expose competitors. Forgive me if I’m wrong but that’s just the way it looks. Maybe should be continued as a new topic as it has nothing to do with the original post.

That is just it, the complete misunderstanding.

He is Not competitor and it is not a personal vendetta. Good people just like to expose Frauds.

This toppic was about the attitudes in Phuket? the bad service? the rip offs?

Well we are not discriminating.

even have the audacity to try and get goods and services cheaper then the already fair price.

Pl-ease have you heard some of the opening bids on the tat sold in those stalls..

Most things in Phuket are not expensive for a tourist and they have no right to get angry if a vendor refuses any discount.

usually its the other way round.. stall holders literally screaming at you should you not wish to buy the low quality tat..

I am well aware of the so called high prices in Patong and I also know from experience how stressful (but still very profitable) it can be to sell "tat" in a holiday resort.

The stuff is deliberatly priced 'high' because they know that some stingy punter will soon come along trying to persuade them to virtually give it away. Unfortunately the genuine customers end up paying the higher price to subsidise all the cheapskates.

I found that it is better to sell at a set price and not give discount to anyone unless the customer is very nice or buying a large quantity (and I don't mean THREE). Anyone that came to my shop that wanted discount just for the sake of it was politly told, that if they thought it was too expensive they didn't have to buy it. However if they persisted I would sometimes have to be abusive as it's the only way to get them out of the shop quickly. They distract other potential customers from buying and it's usually best to get rid of them.

Having said that it was only a small minority of people and most of my customers went away very happy which eventually enabled me to retire with a healthy income.

Thankfully I am no longer involved in the tourist industry and from what I've seen here the punters now are much worse in Patong than I ever had. If I worked in a shop there it wouldn't be long before I had to chuck someone out. You can see them everyday having group discussions, outside the shop worrying about wheather they will be ripped of for 50 baht. Why should they care? they are supposed to be on holiday and enjoying themselves, not bringing all there hang up about money with them. If they get ripped off a bit so what? It's not a great fortune.

It's no suprise that the shopkeepers and staff get angry there and I don't blame them. The rents are high not to mention other compulsory payments that must be found before even looking at a profit. New cars are expensive and families must be fed etc. etc.

Places like Central and Jung Ceylon sell exactly the same very overpriced junk and nobody seems to worry about it. The only difference is you get a nice carrier bag and the staff smile while you're being ripped off.

Tourists will always buy overpriced "tat" and I really don't see anything much different in Patong than other tacky seaside resort anywhere else in the world.

If they get ripped off a bit so what? It's not a great fortune.

Well I guess that clarifies your position..

However as a resident I have strongly different views to you on this and the 'sincere tuktuks' you seem to feel you know so much about..

If they get ripped off a bit so what? It's not a great fortune.

Well I guess that clarifies your position..

However as a resident I have strongly different views to you on this and the 'sincere tuktuks' you seem to feel you know so much about..

Correct me if I'm wrong but I never said I know anything about Tuk Tuks.

I've used them a few times when desperate and never had any problems.

If you're a resident then you should know better and not use them. If you lived somewhere like Tenerife you wouldn't use the taxis there for the same reasons. Why bother with them here? if you can't drive or don't want to, it's not that expensive to hire a full time driver as long as you don't look down on him as a slave as many foreigners tend to in Phuket. If you do then you will stand a fair chance of being ripped off yet again.

Edited by BillStickers