Fruit Juice Prices In Thailand - Exorbidant?

juicyas

I think this would get lost in the supermarket thread and it's something I've wondered since I got here.

I suppose pineapple juice is reasonably cheap (always cheaper than the other fruits) but why is a 1 litre carton of orange juice so steep?

I'm sure back home it's cheaper and I lived in Taiwan last year and I could get 1.6L of 100% juice for 70baht consistently whereas the CHEAPEST brand of 100% orange juice here is 70 baht (one from the fridge in the supermarket is 80baht plus) - that's over 50% more for the same price and everything is more expensive in Taiwan.

Hoping someone can satisfy my curiousity.

Cheers

actually, most of the 100% juice here is made from concentrate.

do you drink milk from powder, and call it real milk?

with lots of cheap fruits here, juices are really expensive, but well, if they still sell, i dont see why they would price lower them. business, it is.

I know the daughter of the guy who owns Tipco(among many other things). She told me about the 600 handbags she has and about 300 pairs of shoes bought from the same shop in Siam Square. That's where the money goes if you buy Tipco.

I do buy only freshly squized orange juice on the street when I am thirsty or juices i bottles/cartons from oriental fruits which are often not known in the west or are very expensive there. I never buy any juice which I know I can get same price or cheaper in the west.

It seems to be mostly ferangs that buy fruit juices - hence the price. Personaly, i bought a juicer and have my 5 a day for pennys ( a few baht). An excellent investment :o

PS thais like to put sugar in freshly squeezed juices (orange etc) - yuk! Also the juices in Carfore and Big C can be a few days old and have lost their nuritional vitamin value

Edited by pointofview

It's a matter of taste. Local fruits are all way too sweet. We like (real, farang) Orange juice and Apple juice ... and cheese and lots of other things that are a bit more expensive here than home but on balance our grocery bill is still lower than back home :o

I don't know if it's me but recently about every brand of juice just doesn't taste real at all, it doesn't taste like concentrate either; it just tastes artificial.

I agree, in a country with so much fruit the prices are exhorbitant and I am in line for a juicer; just have to do a bit of research.

Incidentally my housekeepers niece was working at a juice factory (I think something to do with supervising production, she has a degree in food science) in Ayutthaya and recently gave up her job as they were expecting her to work till 10-11pm and paying no overtime. Total exploitation.

Ya know i'm real glad someone's tackled this one cos it's bugged me silly for a long time. There is no sense to it whatsoever, other than just a blatant attempt to exploit the market. If you want an alternative to drinking-water that's not laced with 10 teaspoons of sucrose per glass like that Hales syrup crap, then seems like you really gotta be prepared to pay for it in this country. My neighbour who works for UFC has a big ole house, two pick-ups and is obviously not short of a bob or two, so seems like the poster who mentioned the Tipco girl was pretty close to the mark.

I am diabetic so Tipco is good as it is 'Sugar Free'

Carrefour this week is 53 baht = bought 10 yesterday..

2 weeks ago 'Malee' [also Sugar Free] at Tesco was Orange or Tangerine 54 baht

Pineapple 45 baht

All the above had no restrictions on how many one can buy....... on that point have found that often if it says MAX 5, you buy 10 they say nothing at checkout...

Last month Big C, had promotion on Pepsi Max [sugar Free] 17 baht, Max was 3 bottles, the boy was loading the shelves and I took 2 boxes [12 per box] from his pallet, at checkout nothing was said, checked bill 204 baht = 17 baht each.. NOT 25 or 26 baht.

You know they all have web sites ? they show what is on promotion and until when = for me I can decide which supermarket I will shop at that week.. There simple is no need to pay 70 baht, as one of the supermarkets will have a Promotion.

The large canned orange concentrate by Brook is 54 baht at Foodland Pattaya for 1.21 ltrs and is NOT sweetened. Vs the sweet Tipco stuff at 63 baht + - for 1 Ltr.

Edited by Rimmer

It's a matter of taste. Local fruits are all way too sweet. We like (real, farang) Orange juice and Apple juice ... and cheese and lots of other things that are a bit more expensive here than home but on balance our grocery bill is still lower than back home :o

agree with you ,its too sweet ,i buy the tinned one 49/50b 1.2 litres not so much sugar in it last for years if not opened ,its called brooks ,do a nice grapefruit juice as well .

I know the daughter of the guy who owns Tipco(among many other things). She told me about the 600 handbags she has and about 300 pairs of shoes bought from the same shop in Siam Square. That's where the money goes if you buy Tipco.

You will find alot of it goes to Japan as a Japanese company own 60 million shares (around 50 percent) of Tipco F&B.

As for the price of Juice, there is only one thing to do, buy a juicer and make your own, much nicer in my opinion too.