American Man Falls To His Death From 12th-floor Condo

Jai Dee

I don't know why it is so hard for many forum members to accept that Thailand is the end of the line for a lot of farangs who have their bridges behind them and one day see no alternative but suicide when things go pear-shaped. They choose methods very similar to those used back home--suicide leaps, drugs, guns, plastic bags over the head-you name it. Jumping is probably more common here only because home ownership being difficult here means a larger proportion of farangs live in multi-story condos. Apparently the forum has it own tin-foil hat brigade that sees every farang suicide as a part of some vast secret murder conspiracy. Nutters!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just posted somewhere else here that our Embassies/Consulates don;t care about us and their main purpose is to encourage trade btween Thailand and the elite business cliques of our home countries.

Maybe it's time to hold them a bit more accountable?

"So Madam Lafarge of l'Ambassade de Canada, just how many 'Canadiens' both francais et 'le bloc tete' have taken a nose-dive off their retirement balconies? And please show me the coroners' report and your comments?"

Are you satisfied? Have you done your due dilligence? Allor..have you??? Well - why not contact their relatives back home to see if THEY are satisfied with "their" Embassy's 'due dilligence.

Et vouz Mr. UK Consul, and you Mr Australia??

Should we write a group letter DEMANDING information about the dead - open to the Bangkok Post - and demand OUR COUNTRIES take action - not the Thai authorities - WOW talk about putting them on the spot!!

I don't know why it is so hard for many forum members to accept that Thailand is the end of the line for a lot of farangs who have their bridges behind them and one day see no alternative but suicide when things go pear-shaped. They choose methods very similar to those used back home--suicide leaps, drugs, guns, plastic bags over the head-you name it. Jumping is probably more common here only because home ownership being difficult here means a larger proportion of farangs live in multi-story condos. Apparently the forum has it own tin-foil hat brigade that sees every farang suicide as a part of some vast secret murder conspiracy. Nutters!

Totally agree – The Spanish Inquisition might have been a ###### sight worse if some of the TV members were running it!

Another twist from the Spanish Inquisition.

If the deceased was on good terms with his wife, why would he commit suicide in such a way that would make his wife a suspect in a possible murder? Like it or not, she is a suspect, and in a suspicious case like this, it would be the same anywhere in the world.

Look, I (at least me) am not suggesting that every time there is a farang header off a balcony that the wife/GF is 'behind' it.

But those that write some of the crap above seem to have NEVER read a newspaper in the last year about the number of farangs 'leaping' to their deaths in unusual circumstances!

We can't get news or real police investigations into really high profile THAI murder cases like the rich kid who drove his Benz into a crowded bus stop, or the rich kid who shot a cop and got away with it, or the rich family who managed to be alone with the mia noi of some rich guy who died 'when she suddenly lept to her own death over an air conditioner, etc, on the balcony and no one saw it'...etc..

WHERE ARE OUR EMBASSIES? BTW - Let's see what happens in Japan with the clear murder of that japanese journalist in Rangoon! Wait and see - they'll drop it..

Come on Dorothy ...this ain't Kansas.

Edited by thaigene2

I don't know why it is so hard for many forum members to accept that Thailand is the end of the line for a lot of farangs who have their bridges behind them and one day see no alternative but suicide when things go pear-shaped.

Likely because many are in the same boat. The similarities in lifestyle and status in life are often difficult to accept.

But to be fair, many foreigners, farangs included... make poor choices in spouse, gf, bf, etc.... often ending up with those who value the lives of the lives of others LESS than even minor financial gain. It's reasonable to believe that the murder rate in these relationships would at least be equal to or greater than that in mainstream society.

:o

In my view, these types of things happen all over the world, and there is usually limited information reported so any speculation is just that. HOWEVER, many, if not most of these cases in Thailand seem suspicious based on the reported facts. Combined with other factors unique to Thailand, which is that many farang older males end up living with or marrying former "working girls" leads to an assumption of foul play.

In addition, there is a perception among foreigners here that these cases are written off as suicides more often than not in an attempt to cover up murders and not cast Thailand in a bad light for purposes of tourism, which is so important to the country.

* one other interesting note about this case: on another forum someone mentioned that he knew the building well and that there is a big "King Power" duty free sign directly across from the balcony. So, viewing this he could have said "King Power" for some reason as his last dying words?

Edited by chinthee

Right.

So the average slim built Thai woman would have the wrestling skills and strength to throw her more than likely largish husband off the balcony and not having any cuts or bruises and no sign of a scuffle in the apartment.

Need more info on this before making a comment.

How do you know about her build? How do you know she wasn't marked? Maybe he was very drunk and easily moved. Maybe she had a gun. I think this death is very suspicious and if the police are any good, they do too. I hope the American embassy is acting on the deceased's behalf to make sure this is fully investigated and if there is a crime, that he and his family receive justice. People do commit suicide, but I think it is very unusual for it to occur with another person present. This would be a suspicious death anywhere in the world.

And maybe it was a suicide and she is innocent. Give it a rest Sherlock.

I totally agree with you about the end of the line theory.

I am still uncomfortable with the number of jumpers though but do not trhink as one ex-pal does that there is a secret police unit in Pattaya going around and disposing of farangs who are in debt :o

Epidemiologically though the number of jumpers is high in proportion to jumper suicides in the west - I can accept the number of suicide but why not the easy way taken in say the UK ie booze and pills - painless and a slow slip into eternity.

Still though - by that stage all rationality has gone and they might not want to take a chance of survival.

Even in Aust, the husband/wife usually goes to the top of the suspect list at the start of the investigation.

To the poster that commented that He Man is not sold in Thailand... wrong. I grew up as a kid in Bangkok and purchased half the collection in Bangkok... it was available in pretty much all department stores.

Maybe an other version of sleeping with the enemy.

Prime suspect? Usually who benefits from a crime. So, condo rent or buy and currency, long way or just

around the corner.

Some time ago, Thaivisa was full of plasticbags and leaps. Then suddenly silence.

Now again old pattern. Is it the business of any embassy to care about this?

It is Thai jurisdiction, isn’t it. Of course, nothing can be ruled out but having a local in a high rise

might be a potential for danger. People have been drugged and robbed.

All this suspicion is quite normal here when one looks at how crime scenes are handled, road accidents are "analyzed" by looking at spray paint on the pavement, policemen commit murders or hire thugs to do so, get caught in gambling dens, run or protect these same gambling dens, get caught carrying illegal immigrants in the trunk of their car, are caught driving around with impounded vehicles, Tsunami donations are stolen INSIDE a police station BY policemen, start their careers by extorting money from businesses or drivers in order to pay for better positions, luxury and mia nois, are known to mess up crime scenes intentionally when ordered to or get paid to do so, foreigners dying in a station cell either by lack of medication or some magic sock finding it's way to the throat while handcuffed, grannies-children and wannabes freely wearing clothing or driving vehicles marked with the words POLICE or FBI :o, how traffic flows better when the boys in brown stay in their booths and let the lights do their work.

There's plenty more archived in the online newspapers.

This was an interesting (Stickman) article a year or so ago, from an interview with a Brit Consul;

There's no shortage of suspicious deaths.

I have looked into a number of the deaths of those who have fallen from condos, and the opinions of the police, on the whole, I have agreed with, that quite a few have been accidents. Most deaths here are natural causes. Most deaths would be lifestyle disease with older men. The Thai government has encouraged retirement visas and it is easy for older men to live here. Of course they are going to die one day. It is the same for other nationalities. Heart attacks, cancer, strokes etc. There are others that are accidents, riding motorbikes and not wearing a helmet for instance.

When there is a death I have to ascertain the identity of the deceased and I try to inform the Foreign Office of the next of kin. I have to let them know before they read it in the newspaper. I also have to collect documentation, death certificates and try to ascertain if people have a will, as well as deal with the grieving relatives.

rest of story; here

Family members will probably find this thread.

Why are the crass comments allowed ?

Iv'e seen plenty of low railings on balconys in Thailand.

If that's the case the building owner, contractor and building inspector should be held accountable.

Oh please, get a clue. I imagine the family members of the dead American are wondering what happened as well. That is, unless there is a documented history of mental illness that we don't know about.

Family members will probably find this thread.

Why are the crass comments allowed ?

You don't think the allegations that he ended his own life due to money problems [or else], as said by the apologists, are worse to relatives than posters pointing out that something from the story doesn't sound right [be it the reporting or the facts]?

There's too little information here to know anything useful. Perhaps, if he was reading or writing e-mails that's where the biggest clues will be.

Although the "I'm Power" is a bit suspicous (like someone might have told her to say that), I think it's very unfortunate that she is a prime suspect given my own experience. I'm in a long-term relationship that has had very trying moments recently including a number of incidents of talking about suicide by my gf including jumping over the terrace of my condo. She has basically turned into a depressive like many in her family. As she said once, if she jumps over, the police will be asking me questions. She is probably right given what I'm reading here today.

Of course she is right. If that happens, if the police are doing their jobs (and that is probably the biggest problem here) they will of course ask you questions. This is a fact of life and death all over the world, deal with it.

BTW, we don't exactly have proof he was reading emails before he died, just as we don't know if he actually jumped.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course she is right. If that happens, if the police are doing their jobs (and that is probably the biggest problem here) they will of course ask you questions. This is a fact of life and death all over the world, deal with it.

BTW, we don't exactly have proof he was reading emails before he died, just as we don't know if he actually jumped.

Fortunately we do know 2 things:

1. He left the balcony and hit the ground.

2. She is the "prime suspect". Oh, wait a minute, how do we know this?

Because somebody who must have more knowledge than everyone else said so.

This forum, at times, certainly provides an outlet for fertile minds and barren intellects. :o

You need to keep in mind that this was likely said in English to a sleepy Thai and the same distraught Thai reported it to police in Thai, the police briefed the press in Thai and the Nation are not known for their prowess with English. To expect clarity and coherence is ambitious; to draw assumptions based on two words is asinine.

EXACTLY!