Pet Peeves!

YangYaiEric

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have so many, but for today it is people with questionable hygiene habits who insist on using public transport and putting their hand above their head to grab the strap. Please people, soap and water, followed by a little blast of deo. And of course, taxi drivers. :o

The soi dogs are the main thing that annoy me. When I see Thai people feeding them I want to get angry, but I know they think they're being kind and earning merit, but they're creating a hazard.

All the other things that could be classed as annoyances such as taxi drivers and tuk tuk drivers asking you all the time if you want a ride are actually a positive compared to many places where getting a taxi is a hassle.

Even the disorganisation and lack of work ethic of Thai workers is part and parcel of what makes it a great country to be in. Not too "seereeut"

My favorite example is when I had a credit card from Siam Commerical Bank and in early 1998 I'd run it up to 100,000 Baht and due to the financial crisis not paid it back. Their collections department consisted of a girl calling me up, asking if I spoke Thai, when I said no she'd giggle and hang up.

As for being expected to pay all the time as a farang, that's actually partly them showing you respect. In Thai culture the richest person at the table always pays for everything, every time. If you offer to share or pay you're actually showing disrespect by inferring that you're more of a Poo Yai than he is. I have a close Thai friend from one of the wealthy Thai families and when he first came back to Thailand after 20 years of schooling in the West we'd share bills or take turns. Now, after 10 years back in Thailand I can see he gets annoyed when I offer to pay as he's become re-immersed in Thai culture. Of course, when they start asking you to pay for things like mobile phones and pick up trucks and sick mothers, they're taking the piss.

The "2 week experts" in Thailand are just hilarious. And the poster above is absolutely correct that the more convinced they are they're an expert, the faster they'll be parted from their money and end up going home broke. They're a great source of hilarity to me now that I know not to waste my time and try and correct them. "Oh really? Hmmm. So that's what the Thai's think is it?"

The soi dogs are the main thing that annoy me. When I see Thai people feeding them I want to get angry, but I know they think they're being kind and earning merit, but they're creating a hazard.

Should they just be allowed to STARVE to death? :o

You're obviously one of those people that believes that dogs are a special kind of animal. If I like rats and feed all the rats in my neighborhood resulting in a higher population of wild rats would you leap to my defence if people asked me not to support so many wild rats by crying that the poor rats should not be allowed to STARVE to death

You're obviously one of those people that believes that dogs are a special kind of animal.

Yes, they are MAN'S BEST FRIEND, and some irresponsible maggot of a sub-human-being probably spoiled and treasured them as a puppy and threw them out on the street when they got old and were not cute any more.

You don't starve your friends! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

You're obviously one of those people that believes that dogs are a special kind of animal.

Yes, they are MAN'S BEST FRIEND, and some irresponsible maggot of a sub-human-being probably spoiled and treasured them as a puppy and threw them out on the street when they got old and were not cute any more.

Well rats are more intelligent than dogs, cleaner and have lived with humans longer than dogs. Therefore, get out on the street now and start feeding our friends the rats. I can't wait until we have streets full of rats.

Just because you think one kind of animal is somehow special doesn't make it so and everyone else shouldn't have to suffer from the hazard caused by your anthropomorphisation of one species rather than another.

Rats are dirty and spread disease, so we are justified in getting rid of them in self defence. Also, almost no one keeps rats as pets, so humans have no responsibility for them.

We are responsible for dogs as a large number of us keep them as pets or to protect our property. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Rats are dirty and spread disease, so we are justified in getting rid of them in self defence. Also, Almost no one keeps rats as pets, so humans have no responsibility for them.

We are responsible for dogs. :o

All these dogs are crapping and peeing and unlike rats they bite people and they carry lots of diseases from flea borne diseases to rabies so we are justified in getting rid of them in self-defence.

Lots of people keep rats as pets. They're highly intelligent, clean and very sociable.

But this is irrelevant, which animal is more popular as a pet is irrelevant because we're discussing wild or feral animals, not pets.

I fail to see why I need to put up with the hazards caused by soi dogs just because YOU think they're somehow different to any other feral animal.

If you think they should be specially looked after, then YOU taken them into YOUR home instead of insisting they should be inflicted on everyone else

Well said UG. You took the words right out of my mouth.

But with a TV handle such as "Theyreallrubbish" his glass is of the "half full" variety and wouldn't know his arse from his elbow.

Peace to all of earths creatures.. :D

Edited by Austhaied

But with a TV handle such as "Theyreallrubbish" his glass is of the "half full" variety and wouldn't know his arse from his elbow.

Fine, then you take all the mangy soi dogs into your home and take care of them since they're your best friends. Why are you letting YOUR BEST FRIENDS live on the street?

Being Asian, I'm automatically assumed to be local. I speak around 30% Thai. Then I came across some folks who seemed very offended when I tell them gently in Thai that I don't understand what they just rattled off.

Most folks will go: "oh but I thought you are Thai", but there's those who gave me real evil looks.

Well rats are more intelligent than dogs, cleaner and have lived with humans longer than dogs. Therefore, get out on the street now and start feeding our friends the rats. I can't wait until we have streets full of rats.

Just because you think one kind of animal is somehow special doesn't make it so and everyone else shouldn't have to suffer from the hazard caused by your anthropomorphisation of one species rather than another.

Wow, cool post and I really like the appropriateness of your handle, especially the dark brown end which you euphemistically call 'rubbish' as opposed to the more realistc, but less politically correct term, "dogshit"..

Mmm, rat curry..

Do you actually read, or just post opinions from the brown end of that stick? Somehow I just cannot understand how you equate dogs, very long-time domesticated animals, with rats which agreeably live close to humans but as scavengers not, other than a tiny percentage, as pets.

In some ways I agree with your insistance that what animals we choose as pets and which ones we tend to write off is a bit odd, but I cannot support your crappy presentation nor ignore that some animals have been adopted by humans over the centuries and others rejected due to human health and mortality considerations.

I have eaten dog, cat, horse, rat, and a variety of insects/reptiles but I also know that to learn to get along with our fellow humans (have not eaten one as yet except for the purpose of sensual arrousal but am always open to a new experience), we have to take their emotional attachments into consideration.

Take for example the statement, "I ate your sister (daughter/wife/mother/dog/rat)".

If the human response were purely about meat on the table, no big deal, right?

Ah, but insert human imagination and emotionalism and I am sure you can see what I mean:

"Your sister's ribs and hindquarters went down well with Clem Redneck's BBQ Sauce"

could be taken entirely differently from,

"Yo sista/momma had a life-changing experience for the better."

Or not..

Ain't humanity fun...? :o

Edited by Dustoff

Wow, cool post and I really like the appropriateness of your handle, especially the dark brown end which you euphemistically call 'rubbish' as opposed to the more realistc, but less politically correct term, "dogshit"..

Mmm, rat curry..

Do you actually read, or just post opinions from the brown end of that stick? Somehow I just cannot understand how you equate dogs, very long-time domesticated animals, with rats which agreeably live close to humans but as scavengers not, other than a tiny percentage, as pets.

In some ways I agree with your insistance that what animals we choose as pets and which ones we tend to write off is a bit odd, but I cannot support your crappy presentation nor ignore that some animals have been adopted by humans over the centuries and others rejected due to human health and mortality considerations.

I have eaten dog, cat, horse, rat, and a variety of insects/reptiles but I also know that to learn to get along with our fellow humans (have not eaten one as yet except for the purpose of sensual arrousal but am always open to a new experience), we have to take their emotional attachments into consideration.

Take for example the statement, "I ate your sister (daughter/wife/mother/dog/rat)".

If the human response were purely about meat on the table, no big deal, right?

Ah, but insert human imagination and emotionalism and I am sure you can see what I mean:

"Your sister's ribs and hindquarters went down well with Clem Redneck's BBQ Sauce"

could be taken entirely differently from,

"Yo sista/momma had a life-changing experience for the better."

Or not..

Ain't humanity fun...? :o

To equate my refusal to be charmed by feral dogs running wild with cannibalism is hardly a convincing rebuttal.

Can anyone explain why I should agree that feral dogs in the street is not a bad thing?

You are now the second poster to conduct an ad hominem attack. If I change my monicker to "Everythingislovely" would my views be more valid?

Being Asian, I'm automatically assumed to be local. I speak around 30% Thai. Then I came across some folks who seemed very offended when I tell them gently in Thai that I don't understand what they just rattled off.

Most folks will go: "oh but I thought you are Thai", but there's those who gave me real evil looks.

I get the same 'assumed to be local thing,' being Thai but born and raised overseas. Don't get dirty or evil looks, but there is often that "why is his accent off?" / "why is it he can hardly read or write?" / "why can't he understand anything other than the central dialect?" / "is this what they call autism?" type of look.

Hardly a peeve. It's kind of like being the perpetual foreign exchange student.

:o

no big issues here in los too be honest. not any more. the first few years i used to be mad complaining and getting upset. then i realised im not in my home country anymore and now love nearly every aspect of this great country.

however if the roads were better (driven on) id be a lot happier. other than that im made up to be living here, i count myself lucky.

go back home and see what your missing out on you miserable b***ards. :o

Dog's go to war with us, they are in the military serving for us right now in Iraq and other places.

Dog's enable blind people to lead a more normal and enjoyable life.

Dog's serve to protect us in the police force and help find missing children etc

Dog's work in anti-terrorist units helping to fight in the war against terror.

Dogs's help people with illness such as epilepsy

Dog's are part of search and rescue unit's in many areas such as mountain rescue/ avalanche etc.

This is just a small example of ways that dogs have and continue to help mankind, I'm sure many dogs have helped a lot more than you have ever done and that is not a joke.

Now, tell me what rats have done to help us.

Dog's go to war with us, they are in the military serving for us right now in Iraq and other places.

Dog's enable blind people to lead a more normal and enjoyable life.

Dog's serve to protect us in the police force and help find missing children etc

Dog's work in anti-terrorist units helping to fight in the war against terror.

Dogs's help people with illness such as epilepsy

Dog's are part of search and rescue unit's in many areas such as mountain rescue/ avalanche etc.

This is just a small example of ways that dogs have and continue to help mankind, I'm sure many dogs have helped a lot more than you have ever done and that is not a joke.

Now, tell me what rats have done to help us.

No friend of rats I, but since you asked. They get experimented on alot and are given all kinds of horrible diseases to test new drugs and vaccines. Still, they creep me out.

I must agree.

Almost every 7-11 has a bunch of employees doing nothing and yet only one register is open. What's up with that? :o

The owner is too cheap to spend an additional 200 baht a day to hire extra help? If i owned a 7-11 i would keep it fully staffed with every cash register constantly operating and a sign on the door that said in thai and english "we are the fasted 7-11 in town and have the least waiting time to buy your goods".

Fine, then you take all the mangy soi dogs into your home and take care of them since they're your best friends. Why are you letting YOUR BEST FRIENDS live on the street?

Were you bitten by a soi dog or just mad at the world? Life must suck for you dude!

I get the same 'assumed to be local thing,' being Thai but born and raised overseas. Don't get dirty or evil looks, but there is often that "why is his accent off?" / "why is it he can hardly read or write?" / "why can't he understand anything other than the central dialect?" / "is this what they call autism?" type of look.

Hardly a peeve. It's kind of like being the perpetual foreign exchange student.

:o

I've never had any negatives directed toward me with my Thai accent. I actually enjoy being a foreginer in my own homeland :D...make sense? hehe

Edited by Misplaced

Were you bitten by a soi dog or just mad at the world? Life must suck for you dude!

Take a look at my original post and you'll see that most things that annoy most people I find amusing.

But I won't accept feral dogs running wild as something I shouldn't be annoyed about.