Pet Peeves!

YangYaiEric

What REALLY gets under your skin the most in the LOS? My particular pet peeve is in regards to Samlors. Trying to drive down-town where Samlors are STILL used can be MOST infuriating, and quite dangerous for the Samlor-drivers too. I've often wondered why these 3-wheeled obstructions are astill allowed on the roads? BTW, I live in the provinces!

Anyone else? :o

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreigners constantly complaining about Thailand and the people.

yeah id agree with that even though im a foreigner. my opinion is that its not our home country, no point critisizing it, if we dont like it we can leave. i happen to like it here. if i didnt id simply go home.

complaining about it is a bit like going to someone elses house and telling them you dont like the way its decorated or the food they eat etc.

What REALLY gets under your skin the most in the LOS? My particular pet peeve is in regards to Samlors. Trying to drive down-town where Samlors are STILL used can be MOST infuriating, and quite dangerous for the Samlor-drivers too. I've often wondered why these 3-wheeled obstructions are astill allowed on the roads? BTW, I live in the provinces!

Its culture seeing these, and they have been around a lot longer than the car, i tend to like seeing them, and we should give them right of way, thats my opinion, go to Vietnam and try driving around there, then you will complain.

Edited by Thaicoon

Its culture seeing these, and they have been around a lot longer than the car, i tend to like seeing them, and we should give them right of way, thats my opinion, go to Vietnam and try driving around there, then you will complain.

thais assuming every farang is loaded and queue jumpers .........

yeah id agree with that even though im a foreigner. my opinion is that its not our home country, no point critisizing it, if we dont like it we can leave. i happen to like it here. if i didnt id simply go home.

complaining about it is a bit like going to someone elses house and telling them you dont like the way its decorated or the food they eat etc.

What a load of crap! So if you live in a different country to your homeland you are supposed to keep stum, say nothing and cannot complain about anything otherwise you should go home?!?!?

Some people take it to the excess I agree - if some people complain as much and as loudly as some do they you do have to wonder why they stay - but according to you people aren't even allowed to have annoyances!

The one thing that tuk-tuks do what do annoy the hel_l out of me here in Laos is when I am trying to cross the road - they'll slow down in front of me asking of I want a tuk-tuk! To which my response is 'no but I want you move your bloody tuk tuk so I can cross over!' it reet p*sses me off!

Edited by technocracy

Anyone else? :D

:o:D

What p*sses me off here is the same in Oz

or anywhere else in the world and that's :-

littering and wastage.

crime & dishonesty

lack of caring

disrespect

brutality

jeez the more I think about it I realise I could go on and on.,

so I'll stop right there before I get depressed and go find

a happier thread.

Farang men (other than Joe Cummings and cdnvic) who claim not to be here for the booty. :D

Why do they get an exemption, huh?! lol

My pet peeve is that I have no pet peeve about life here.

It is most disconcerting not having anything to be PO'd about.... :o

I don't buy this at all (big surprise).

Following your example to its logical conclusion, you have now MOVED IN to your host's house for years, plus you are PAYING RENT, plus you married their homely daughter who you discovered too late has genital warts and second stage syphilis. Now you have no grounds to at least make a comment that they should throw out the smelly maggot-ridden dog carcass they keep in the kitchen "for old times sake"???? There is such a thing as tolerance, flexibility, and respecting other cultures, and then there is the concept of KEEPING IT REAL.

Shall I propose a healthy balance? It is pretty much schizoid to live in a new country for years and not have things that annoy you.

What annoys me the most? No taxi meters in Pattaya. Waiters who hand you a 20 page menu and stand there as though you know what to order instantly.

Edited by Jingthing

Farang men (other than Joe Cummings and cdnvic) who claim not to be here for the booty. :o

Why do they get an exemption, huh?! lol

Joe is here to make LOTS of money on his guidebook and cdnvic has his own reasons that he isn't sharing. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

The expressway tolls should be increased to a point where you can actually drive at at "express" rate of speed. Perhaps just increased during rush hour... if you really want to get somewhere quickly, you had better be ready to pay for it.

Also, there should be a first or at least business class car on the BTS and MRT.

:o

Full of foreigners :D

What p*sses me off here is the same in Oz

or anywhere else in the world and that's :-

littering and wastage.

crime & dishonesty

lack of caring

disrespect

brutality

jeez the more I think about it I realise I could go on and on.,

so I'll stop right there before I get depressed and go find

a happier thread.

:o thats funny :D

Fanang that shave their heads and get tatoos to try and "fit in " in pattaya and look stupid,. <deleted> ! :D Edited by mikethevigoman

I don't buy this at all (big surprise).

Following your example to its logical conclusion, you have now MOVED IN to your host's house for years, plus you are PAYING RENT, plus you married their homely daughter who you discovered too late has genital warts and second stage syphilis. Now you have no grounds to at least make a comment that they should throw out the smelly maggot-ridden dog carcass they keep in the kitchen "for old times sake"???? There is such a thing as tolerance, flexibility, and respecting other cultures, and then there is the concept of KEEPING IT REAL.

Shall I propose a healthy balance? It is pretty much schizoid to live in a new country for years and not have things that annoy you.

What annoys me the most? No taxi meters in Pattaya. Waiters who hand you a 20 page menu and stand there as though you know what to order instantly.

lolol ok maybe my comment was a bit extreme, some things will always be annoying somewhere but such is life. depends what level it goes to, i was expecting more serious complaints than what has emerged so maybe i spoke too soon.

Farang wearing shirts of a particular color that shall not be named here.

Exceptions are only made for the ones who are forced by the employers to wear one. And i feel sorry for the ones forced by the wifes. :o

I understand your point entirely.

top0901072004s.jpg

White can be so difficult to keep clean.

Edited by cdnvic

My biggest pet peeve in Thailand is......................................

Why do 90% of Thai people find a drivers licence in there box of breakfast cereal. But never have I found one in mine. Maybe time to switch to Post from Nestle.

Running a close second is feeling like a superstar. As everyne that sees me in the villages, runs to clear their houses of people to come and look at me.

Screaming farang farang. I love issan!!!!!!!!

At last, an easy one to answer.

Finding myself knowing full well, from the title alone, where posts like this are going and not only reading them but actually responding! Perhaps I have too much time on my hands here in the Land Of Smiles?

Grumble, grumble, <deleted> Thailand..

Gramp was a wize old buzzard and the mantra he pounded into my head was, "Attitude is everything."

"Wherever you find yourself, physically or emotionally, if you are concentrating on the negative, adjust your attitude because it is virtually the only thing you have the power to change."

Having spent fifty years traveling through, and living in some 30+ countries, I find this thread challenging me to remember what really irritated me in those various cultures and I am hard-pressed to come up with a response.

Surely there was something.. Hmm, lemme think..

Back to present day however, yes, there are some struggles adapting to my chosen home now here in Thailand but I cannot think of any particular nuisances that are any worse than living in my own country of birth and I know that there are ways to find our way around or mediate issues if I go at it with a positive attitude.

Think negatively, live negatively - our choice and our fault, not their's...

But then there are those tuk-tuk drivers who pull in front of me and interrupt my arrogant passage from point A to point B for a few seconds.. :o