Ubc Dish Alignment,

Bpraim1

I have my own UBC Dish, I will be move'n to m new house soon, and was woundering if anyone knows the alignment spects for UBC dish? As I will just install myself and save the 1500 install fee.

if it worked in your old house then just look around for another one ,see what way its facing ,put yours facing the same way and it should work just fine .

I have my own UBC Dish, I will be move'n to m new house soon, and was woundering if anyone knows the alignment spects for UBC dish? As I will just install myself and save the 1500 install fee.

if it worked in your old house then just look around for another one ,see what way its facing ,put yours facing the same way and it should work just fine .

Could be lucky :o

Try this:-

1. Check your existing installation pole is vertical (sprit level)
  2. Make sure your new pole is vertical (or about the same degree out)
  3. Point the dish the same way as everyone elses
  4. Watch the signal strength meter on your receiver (it will be down one of the setup menus depending upon your box manufacturer) and gently move a few degrees either way.
  5. You'll suddenly get a picture (that's the trouble with digital, it either works or it doesn't, the old analog sets would gradually fade in) gently tweek for best signal.
  6. Tighten everything up

Of course you'll be doing this up a ladder, you need to be able to see the TV set the alignment is too critical to use the buddy method (remember the target is some 18,500 miles away).

Crack a beer and call UBC to come and do it :D

To be honest, aligning without the proper kit (a signal meter) is very much hit and miss, but you may just succeed :D

Make sure you buy the proper cable and plugs (ordinary TV co-ax will NOT do) and keep the cable as short as possible, joints are a no-no too.

Edited by Crossy

I'd get somebody to sit in front of the TV set and yell out the signal strength numbers (from the receiver setup information) as I moved the dish around. When it's positioned to the highest signal strength, tighten the bolts and you're done.

Hahaha, I love the answer, look at everyones elses house to see what way there dishes are face'n. I have not seen one dish in my new village yet. Looks like it is a two man job, one up a pole the other with a beer looking at the tv. Humm let's see who could I hire. To hel-l if I'm going up a ladder, unless there is a pool under me.

And yes I have all the right equipment, as I bought my dish from UBC and have about 50m of cable. So all should be good, Guess I will just see what direction it is face'n and start from there.

Thanks for the help

I'd get somebody to sit in front of the TV set and yell out the signal strength numbers (from the receiver setup information) as I moved the dish around. When it's positioned to the highest signal strength, tighten the bolts and you're done.

Ha. That's exactly what the highly-trained professional UBC technician did (and his buddy whose only qualification was to yell out "chai" or "mai chai"), when I called them to restore my signal after a windstorm! :o

Make sure you buy the proper cable and plugs (ordinary TV co-ax will NOT do) and keep the cable as short as possible, joints are a no-no too.

I must be lucky I've got two joints in mine perfect picture. :D

Actually so have we (rented apartment, I have no intention of fixing it), but only about 5m of cable :o

Hahaha, I love the answer, look at everyones elses house to see what way there dishes are face'n. I have not seen one dish in my new village yet. Looks like it is a two man job, one up a pole the other with a beer looking at the tv. Humm let's see who could I hire. To hel-l if I'm going up a ladder, unless there is a pool under me.

And yes I have all the right equipment, as I bought my dish from UBC and have about 50m of cable. So all should be good, Guess I will just see what direction it is face'n and start from there.

Thanks for the help

50m is a L-O-N-G cable, at least when setting up use something shorter, put the receiver and telly on an extension where you can see it.

The dish should point approximately south to start with, swing gently either side of south until you get a signal. If you are a lot further north or south from your exiting installation you will also have to tweek the elevation of the dish for best results.

If you have the first dish in the village, expect a LOT of new 'friends' :o

Edited by Crossy

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the help

50m is a L-O-N-G cable, at least when setting up use something shorter, put the receiver and telly on an extension where you can see it.

The dish should point approximately south to start with, swing gently either side of south until you get a signal. If you are a lot further north or south from your exiting installation you will also have to tweek the elevation of the dish for best results.

If you have the first dish in the village, expect a LOT of new 'friends' :o

I am in northeastern Laos and want to install my UBC dish. I have used this dish in Luang Prabang before, later in Bangkok and now I moved here. Unfortunately, there is no local service to install the dish. There are guys who can help with getting the dish mounted and pull a cable, but they say they have no experience with positioning a UBC dish making them reluctant to take on the job. I have now convinced them to help with the mounting and cable pulling saying that I know myself how to position the dish. I have a manual which says something about the 0-255 range and that the number should be 200 or higher for proper reception. I was able to find the menu item to get the reading, so I think I am on the right track here. The only problem I have now is to get the dish approximately pointing in the right direction to start off with. So, I should just use my compass and find south? Since I have moved north about 1500 km, I suppose I need to tweak the verticle angle as well. Do you reckon up or down? Any further tips to get this job done?

Thanks a lot.