Child Supporting Parent

I believe that farangs in Bangkok can get an "extention of stay" based on Thai child supporting farang parent, over the age of 50 with no money in the bank, Rule 7.17. Is this correct ? If it is, would someone please give me their method of obtaining and the the legal requirements to obtain this.

I believe that farangs in Bangkok can get an "extention of stay" based on Thai child supporting farang parent, over the age of 50 with no money in the bank, Rule 7.17. Is this correct ? If it is, would someone please give me their method of obtaining and the the legal requirements to obtain this.

It is correct, but it seams it is not very easy to obtain without help.

Sunbelt Asia amongs others have had success getting it on their clients behalf.

Actually it is a snap to do this Visa extension under rule 7.17!

I wrote extensively about this procedure in these 2 following postings!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1264319

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1291446

Since then a couple of my freinds have completed an extension based on being over 50 and supporting a Thai child.

The only major change since I posted is that they require you to take a number of pictures of you your family and the house you live in and present it as evidence at the extension application.

Good luck

Badbanker

Since then a couple of my freinds have completed an extension based on being over 50 and supporting a Thai child.

the OP is talking about a thai child supporting the parent since in thailand this is an acceptable mode, i remember the threads and in all of them sunbelt walked them thru it..

Actually it is not about support at all for the parent over age 50 to live with a child - it is being a member of a Thai family:

7.17 In case of the foreign

national is the member of

the Thai national’s family

(Only for Father, Mother,

Husband or Wife, ordinary

child, adopted child or the

child of the marriage

couple.)

Each time of permission

shall be granted for the

period not exceeding 1

year.

Since then a couple of my freinds have completed an extension based on being over 50 and supporting a Thai child.

The only major change since I posted is that they require you to take a number of pictures of you your family and the house you live in and present it as evidence at the extension application.

Good luck

Badbanker

Thanks for that Badbanker. You couldn't tell me where to get a copy of National Police Office Order 606/20006. Cheers

Since then a couple of my freinds have completed an extension based on being over 50 and supporting a Thai child.The only major change since I posted is that they require you to take a number of pictures of you your family and the house you live in and present it as evidence at the extension application.

Good luck

Badbanker

Thanks for that Badbanker. You couldn't tell me where to get a copy of National Police Office Order 606/20006. Cheers

This is what you are looking for: Thai Police Order 606/2549 – Immigration's English translation

There is also a Sunbelt tramslation which slightly differs: Thai Police Order 606/2549 – Sunbelt's English translation:

Here are the requirements for the National Police Office Order 606/2006

“Order 606/2006 - 7.17 In case of the foreign national is the member of the Thai national’s family

(Only for Father, Mother, Husband or Wife, ordinary child, adopted child or the

child of the marriage couple.) Permission shall be granted for the period not exceeding 1 year."

1. Copy of the National Police Office Order 606/2006 in English and Thai

2. TM7 Form (filled out)

3. Your Passport and photocopies of main page, entry stamp page and visa page.

4. 4x6 Photo

5. Original Thai Birth certificate and photocopies.

6. Original Thai Marriage certificate and photocopies.

7. Original & copies of House Registration certificate of wife and child

8. Original & copy of wife’s Thai ID card

9. Photos of House showing the Address Plate

10. A Family Photo of father, wife and child

You will need to fill in the form with all the information required, ask for 365 days and give the reason for the application as – I am over 50 years of age and wish to remain in the kingdom under National Police Office Order 606/2006 - 7.17 to be with my family and take care of my Thai child.

You can fill in this form on your PC and print it out. The website is at Thai Immigration - http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

The National Police Office Order 606/2006 - 7.17 to take care of a Thai child is printable from

Thai Version

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606.pdf

English Version

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Location map

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=location

Cases

7.17 In the case of a family member of a Thai (applicable only to parents, spouse, child,

adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

Basis for Consideration

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and

(2) Proof of family relationship; and

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; or

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be

married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person must be 50 years of age or over; or

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total incomeof not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

Here are the requirements for the National Police Office Order 606/2006

You will need to fill in the form with all the information required, ask for 365 days and give the reason for the application as – I am over 50 years of age and wish to remain in the kingdom under National Police Office Order 606/2006 - 7.17 to be with my family and take care of my Thai child.

This is almost exactly what I wrote and it was still early days for the law and most officers in Bangkok did not know about the new law.   It worked out when a more senior officer was contacted!   Once they understood the section I was asking extension under, no money was ever mentioned!

I seem to remember that it is OK to extend your visa if you are from the province, just don't forget to bring ALL and I mean ALL of your documents including your wife's greatgrandmothers birth cerificate when you come.

The pictures are important too.

Good luck

Badbanker

Badbanker, did the immigration office ask you to bring your son along for the application for extension, as proof of his existence?

--

Maestro

Badbanker, did the immigration office ask you to bring your son along for the application for extension, as proof of his existence?

--

Maestro

This is an annoying and very silly question. I almost I think its deliberately just to confuse and complicate applications – yes the family must be there, the wife all the kids, they will also talk to your wife more than you, in Thai, so make sure your wife is totally aware of the facts. Don’t lie to them, and be honest, plus don’t forget also get as many paperwork and photos of the family registered home with the family in most rooms and outside.

Normally they will help you as much as they can.

I got my second one year extension under this 7.17 (live with my Thai child) a few weeks ago in Bangkok again without assistance from a lawyer or agent.

The immigration officer checked his translated birth certificate and was first not 100% convinced about his Thai nationality, I showed the house book where my son's name is listed, no more questions.

Then the immigration officer did want to see my child and talked with him for a few minutes and he had to fill in a form and that was it.

Cases

7.17 In the case of a family member of a Thai (applicable only to parents, spouse, child,

adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of

Basis for Consideration

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and

(2) Proof of family relationship; and

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; or

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be

married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person must be 50 years of age or over; or

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total incomeof not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

So if I can say yes to the following:

(1) You have a non imm visa AND

(2) You have proof of family relationship AND

(3) You are really married

then the rest (4,5,6) don't matter as they are in the "OR" category.

This is contrary to my understanding because if translated correctly, this means that anyone, of any age, without showing any funds or income, may be considered for a 1 year extension on the basis of marriage alone or substitute child for wife but just be named on the birth certificate ?

This cannot be right surely ?

There is a thread here for a visa extension based on a child taking care of a parent in their old age (over 50) where the financial requirements are waived provided the legal biological child agrees to support you.

When I find it again I will post the link. Unfortunately my "future sponsor" ( 2 year old farang noi) will not let me stay at my laptop!!!! :o

The rest of the posts while good are not answering the posters question.

Here is the link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139274

This is a quote from the link not from me:Well apparently there is some provision for the foreign/alien parent of a child born in Thailand [who is therefore a Thai National/Citizen] to get a 1 year Visa Extension to a Non Imm O. Lots of confusion here but it seems to be true.

What is more I have one.

See this thread, especially beginning around the middle of page 2.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104527

Note;

According to this thread,

1/ You do not need to be married to the Thai woman.

2/ You need not show any proof of income or money in the bank [altho it sure will help]

3/ You need to have your name on the Child's Birth Certificate, Presumably in Thai

4/ You must be 50years of age. Under 50 is not acceptable as they do not want aliens

fathering children just to be able to stay in Thailand.

Edited by maprao

hi;

I got my 1 year extension cause i am over 50 and have a thai child here in Phuket.,

NO WIFE. We are legally divorced and I have full custody granted thru a court. You do not need a wife they told me

I had to show that paper/

birth certifcate/

Tam Bien Baan/

AND 500,000 in the bank for 3 months

In the phuket gazette awhile back they had they had guy from immigration answer about this and he said you didn't need to show a min income you must show that your income is enough you to reponsibly care for her/him. Which is NOT in the offical police order. no mention of pictures or bringing the child with u

I have a question now;

Since all paper work from the proviences needs to go thru bangkok can i go to Bangkok and obtain the extension without the 500,000 in the bank for 3 months or do u think they will see that i am from Phuket and tell me to go do it there?

and do you need to bring/have your child with you?

Badbanker; Wouldn't you think cause my name is on her Birth Ceritficate plus i have a report for amercian born abroad from the us embassy with my name as her father that would suffice

You really think i need my child with me to have her tell them I am her father?

Edited by phuketrichard

I believe you were granted a one year extension on the basis of accompany a child for education rather than the over age 50 living with Thai child. There is no income requirement for the over age 50 living with Thai child extension but for education there is the 500k in bank requirement.

i realize that but thats but they wanted to see the money not any school pappers.

plus 3 months i advance i had gone in and asked what they wanted from me and i showed them the police order in thai and english so there was no confusion.

So can someone answer the second part of my question? could i apply in Bangkok with papers and not my daughter with me?

Believe you may need more than the child to obtain extension under the over age 50. This is regarded as a means for adult children to take care of there parents in old age and as thus the adult child must sign paperwork. Believe there is a problem when child is not of legal age and that extra paperwork will be required.

I am getting confused .

I have an extension because i am OVER 50 and have a thai child.

This is the basis of the extension. Nothing to do with support as Khun Jack got his.

4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person must be 50 years of age or over

so it seems u are confusing the issue here.

And where did I say anything about support? You are the person claiming he was required to show 500k bank account balance to obtain his extension of stay. I have said that is not a requirement of 7.17. So either you were not granted an extension under rule 7.17 or you were asked to meet requirements that were not a part of that rule.

Phuket immigration seem to be illegally enforcing this show of funds to support the child thing.

Yes it is not in the regs but as we all know they are an independant fiefdom and make their own rules!

I would do the extension in Bangkok with your daughter and then go back to Phuket Immigration and tell them you did it without them and their 500 k requirement!

BB

Edited by Badbanker

I am getting confused .

I have an extension because i am OVER 50 and have a thai child.

This is the basis of the extension. Nothing to do with support as Khun Jack got his.

4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person must be 50 years of age or over

so it seems u are confusing the issue here.

To make some things clear;

One year ago I applied under the new rule 7.17.5 for one year extension at Phuket Immigration without success.

I am over 50 and have a child with Thai Nationality.

I have a NON-O visa

I am married and do live with my child.

In Bangkok I received a fews weeks ago for the second time my one year extension.

As reason for the one year extension: to stay with my child who has Thai Nationality

Documents :

Translated birth certificate of my child

Marriage certificate

House book with the name of my child listed.

A copy from the police order 7.1.7.5 (very useful if problems arise)

Pictures of me and my family taken in the last years (not asked for last time).

And you have to bring your child with you.

Now they prefer that you show funds in the bank!.

Point the rule out.

Had to prove that my child has Thai Nationality.

Had to prove that I live with my child.

The Immigration officer talked for a couple minutes alone with my child.

My child had to fill in some papers.

That was all.

Forget Phuket Immigration, they run their own business.

Phuket immigration seem to be illegally enforcing this show of funds to support the child thing.

Yes it is not in the regs but as we all know they are an independant fiefdom and make their own rules!

I would do the extension in Bangkok with your daughter and then go back to Phuket Immigration and tell them you did it without them and their 500 k requirement!

BB

When I got my extension under 7.17.5 in Korat they also asked to see proof of money in the bank.

I don't think that Phuket is unique in making its own rules. I think that every office uses the clause, At the discretion of the officer in charge

I believe that this extension is not based on "to support" or "be supported by" the child, but to LIVE with the child.

I agree. it is up to the officer in charge.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket immigration responded to the question about living with a thai child ( NOT SUPPORT)

and I quote, ".....However, although you don't need to show a minimum income you must show that your income is enough to allow you to responsibly take care of her..."

so by this he is asking for the 500,000 in the bank

My question... if i do travel to bangkok with my child and they see that the past 6 extensions have been issued in Phuket i fear they will tell me to go back to Phuket to apply and there is a wasted trip.

SO if I assume that i can do it in Bangkok and don't put the money in the bank and they wont give it to me in Bangkok

I am F#@ked!

Although the laws are there for all of us to see and the extension does not require any money each officer is a law unto itself in my eyes.

I have never had any problem in phuket yet others claim they have . I ask what they want and they tell me

Edited by phuketrichard