Do Local Thais Seem Particularly Uncreative To You?

girlx

Several new Thai-run businesses have sprung up in the village I live in lately, and they are all identical to one another! What this place needs is NOT another internet place, travel agent, or freaking noodle soup shop! I know Thais are the masters of copying one another, but it seems especially so here- look at the old market road in Thong Sala- how many khao ka moo shops do they need on one street??? The farangs moving in seem to be doing more varied and interesting things- little cinemas, lounges, boutique shops, restaurants with interesting food. But compared to other islands this one seems to be lacking in much creativity in selection of food and entertainment, even by Thai standards. Is it because of the type of people who come here; ie. the short-term-on-a-budget-stuff-myself-full-of-drugs-and-rave-at-crappy-parties type who wouldn't appreciate art, music, or a decent glass of wine anyway? Or maybe it's that small island mentality of the locals?

It is pre-high season, which would be the reason a few shops open. Probably the previous went bankrupt. It is just a cycle. And it is great for a foreigner. They can do the more interesting and 'different' kind of shops and also go out of business when low season hits (with a few exceptions of course).

The best business to open is a broker in businesses. You would have an amazing turnover. You can sell the same spot over and over again to new arrivals with big plans. :o

The copying happened in 'my' street too. First i was the only internetshop in a wide area. One season later there were 5. I could just sit it out, because i make my real money in Europe. But what is the use. The profits did not justify the long hours anyway. Now i actually prefer to be bored. :D

IMHO:

- Lack of knowledge - how can Mr. Lek or Ms. Nong understand about wine, art or french cuisine?

- Lack of market - mostly low budget tourist on party tour

- Lack of money - a risky business needs back up money for the first 1-2 years

Locals and business: KPN locals are a nightmare for me.

BTW most farangs open an internet cafe or a "Thai-european-food" restaurant or "House for rent" business, thats not better.

IMHO:

- Lack of knowledge - how can Mr. Lek or Ms. Nong understand about wine, art or french cuisine?

- Lack of market - mostly low budget tourist on party tour

- Lack of money - a risky business needs back up money for the first 1-2 years

Locals and business: KPN locals are a nightmare for me.

BTW most farangs open an internet cafe or a "Thai-european-food" restaurant or "House for rent" business, thats not better.

the thais see someone doing well and think thats easy ,copy it and go skint ,how many tailors are there ,surely they cant all make money ,how do they pay the high high st rents ,the best thing in my opinion for a thai is to open a grocery store supplying western foods ,im sure they would do well ,ready made salads and proper sandwitches for a start .

Lack of creativity - yes, due to education and culture. Learning is by heart and not with brain, respect for elders is a must and blocks own thoughts too. And IF there are own thoughts they are not allowed to get pronounced.

Lots of shops of the same nature are even an economic rule - only those with the best service, quality and prices will survive. But certainly I doubt that this is the reason for a row of massage saloons....

this is not lmited to thais... if you look in other places in the world you eill see the same "copy" tactics.. one buisness works well and the "me too" team will follow.

most of samui development in the last few years was made by "me too" local and forigners.

is still amazes me how many new developers are coming and investing in land and planning projects... each one totaly convinced that they have it made because they are the ones bringing in a new idea...

every new forigner is sure that his idea for a concept resteraunt,botique resort and spa...services, bar.. is the new revelation to samui and he has it made....

the big creative and opertunity was made 10 years ago by those who had the vision. in the past year and the future years it will be just copy cats...

this is not lmited to thais... if you look in other places in the world you eill see the same "copy" tactics.. one buisness works well and the "me too" team will follow.

most of samui development in the last few years was made by "me too" local and forigners.

is still amazes me how many new developers are coming and investing in land and planning projects... each one totaly convinced that they have it made because they are the ones bringing in a new idea...

every new forigner is sure that his idea for a concept resteraunt,botique resort and spa...services, bar.. is the new revelation to samui and he has it made....

the big creative and opertunity was made 10 years ago by those who had the vision. in the past year and the future years it will be just copy cats...

being in samui for 14years in business for 13 years i'd put myself in the founding bracket ,and my business has never been successfully copied .............

***offensive generalization removed per forum rules*****

... I comparison to a few years ago I would say it even improved ... food choice was even more limited before.

I think the practice of copy the neighbors business is a kind of Thai tradition, just look at Bangkok, you can find streets, even parts of town, where everyone just sells the same stuff.

Phanganisland,

In Europe, in the Medieval timeframe, various streets of a town where had the same industry, the blacksmith street, the watchmakers street, etc etc etc, still clearly out in the open if you look at streetnames in old European cities not something exclusive to Thais.

In many other parts of the world I've seen the same, in present time. In Egypt one can see 20 restaurants in the same street, all copying each other with the same lame menu and seemingly competing for who has the worst food. Just an example.

Definately not something exclusive to Thais to copy the neighbours.

High diver summed it up nicely.

Good business idea from a Thai? Look at Sangpet (?) supermarket in Nathon, the first one to supply farangs and hotels.

They did a large investment years ago, import wines and liquors, they even have "Nutella" and my kids love it.

But I dont know why her husband had to die..

Thais seem to have very near horizons when it comes to new business ideas yet far reaching hopes when it comes to wealth creation. The beauty salons, internet cafe's, travel agents, cheap clothes stores and noodle shops are all copies of the ones next door because they are told by each other that the ones next door make good money. Apart from that, all are relatively cheap to start up. But thinking outside of the very limited box requires a vision that is gained from, education and travel and since both of those things are in very short supply amongst local residents we probably shouldn't expect too much more. What I don't understand is why Thai businesses don't see the sense of focusing on quality and consistency, regardless of the type of business they are in. Both of those things cost little if anything to maintain yet they fail to understand the importance of them. I guess for me it all comes down to an absence of drive and passion about business combined with a lack of vision of what is to be achieved. I suppose that's where Farangs fill the void but there again, most are educated, have traveled and understand the importance of making something work once we've sunk our own money into something. The old saying of, "work smart not hard" springs to mind.

To answer the common sense "Thais have no idea of good business" here two more examples:

- The computer shop in Nathon middle road, good service, good choice AND: Chinese origin owner!

- Went to Koh Tao last week: Charm Churee villa, almost every bungalow looks different, very "charming" and a lot of good ideas AND: the manager even called me back, what I never experienced in Thailand before.

Think it is mostly up to the education!

Opposite example:

Paper shop in Nathon ringroad close to catholic school: Terrible service, no passion, no interest to help their customers. I real "never go back" place. Think the owners are thai locals.

***offensive generalization removed per forum rules****

... I comparison to a few years ago I would say it even improved ... food choice was even more limited before.

I think the practice of copy the neighbors business is a kind of Thai tradition, just look at Bangkok, you can find streets, even parts of town, where everyone just sells the same stuff.

My what an offensive comment. I certainly hope it was meant as a joke.

As far as the idea that it is a local phenomenon, well, I think its been pretty conclusively proven that it is not limited to Koh Phangan, the islands, or even Thailand in general.

Just curious as to why people think copyright protection laws were put into place at home in the first place if not for copying?

Lack of creativity - yes, due to education and culture. Learning is by heart and not with brain, respect for elders is a must and blocks own thoughts too. And IF there are own thoughts they are not allowed to get pronounced.

Lots of shops of the same nature are even an economic rule - only those with the best service, quality and prices will survive. But certainly I doubt that this is the reason for a row of massage saloons....

...think you got it quite right here, have to disagree with: "And IF there are own thoughts they are not allowed to get pronounced.." is not quite right, there are some very creative forces out there, look at some of the painters, look at the masonry work, sculpturing the temples, woodcarving, silk weaving (o.k. not on the islands around here) Photographers, Musicians,, the food...

the islanders have been fishing communities for hundreds of years (some of them sea nomads) until "we" (the iron people, from the iron world, with the iron bird) came... that changed their lives for ever.... they didn't had to do anything else then having a shelter, going fishing, grow some veggies and tend the Coconuts..it was closest to the garden eden as anyone can imagine - they had approx. 25 years time to adjust - to make the jump!

Let's be fair!

Maybe we are too demanding and tend to project everything we are used to and take for granted; to other ethnic communities, because we are so much preoccupied with what we think is right and good! But it's just conditioning of western society, of the world we grew up in!

I (personally) would love to share their lives like it was 30 years ago!

there was everything (one needs to live) in abundance, but money was the scarcest of all commodities and that was good so...

just a thought or 2....

regarding "Copy Cats" and "Everyone sells the same stuff"..."

Aren't our todays Automobiles, Mobile Phones, Wristwatches, Furniture, Fashion Outfits all looking more and more the same, just labeled with different Names?

As one poster wrote already, it was and still is "back home", very much the same, if you can observe without preoccupation!

read, think, write....

Edited by Samuian

The tailor shops are owned by Indians or Pakistanis, etc. In Chong Mon, on the main road, there are 7 tailors all within about 100 meters of each other. There are a lot in Chaweng too.

Anyway, how are they making it? They are not Thai but they definitely copy each other.

They all dress nice though.

The tailor shops are owned by Indians or Pakistanis, etc. In Chong Mon, on the main road, there are 7 tailors all within about 100 meters of each other. There are a lot in Chaweng too.

Anyway, how are they making it? They are not Thai but they definitely copy each other.

They all dress nice though.

Piaguet, Oris, Rolex, Cartier, Breitling, Audemar Piquet, Junghans, Swatch, Seiko, Citizen to name just a few, are all watches, Suits and Fashion made Prada, Boss, Chanel, Levis Srauss, Adidas, Puma, Reebok, Wilson.... etc. are all Suits or dress-, Sports apparell makers, are they all copying each other, Car Brands, Kitchen Utensils, Beer, Spirits, Wines...how many Brands or Companies are there to compete on the markets...?

Doesn't that brings variety and choices, finally Quality?

COMPETITION is what makes the mills runnin' - a'secret' of the much by the west heralded FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE!

Why shouldn't they do - what "we" do just all the time?

my 2 Cents.....

regarding the tailor issue, ever been to Bombay, Kolkatta, Delhi? India is one of the largest Cotton and Wool Producers, thanks to Kolonial Times, from these times are the Mills of today - call it Inheritance!

Edited by Samuian

Perhaps more appalling is the homogenization of the buildings, particularly in Lamai. This attempt at amelioration has resulted in cookie-cut, box-shaped shops lining the road, with all the character of a row of garages (which they would be if cars were left inside).

The Rising Sun restaurant was demolished to be replaced by such structures and now there are only a few buildings (Bauhaus being one) that have some semblance of Thai-style.

It's the dumbing down of the culture.

By the law, these cookie-cut, box-shaped shops should cover at maximum 60 % of the chanot area. In fact, they cover about 80 or 90 % of the surface... illegal??

Since when does legal have anything to do with it Claude :o

I think falangs are as guilty of this as thai's how many falangs do you know who open a bar or a restaurant soi reggae is a prime example as soon as one closes due to not make any money there will be another falang who will take it over with great new idea's

let's have a free bbq, put ubc in show all the sport,

But it's the thai landlord who gets his rent every month.

for every uncreative thai you can find an uncreative falang,

I think falangs are as guilty of this as thai's how many falangs do you know who open a bar or a restaurant soi reggae is a prime example as soon as one closes due to not make any money there will be another falang who will take it over with great new idea's

let's have a free bbq, put ubc in show all the sport,

But it's the thai landlord who gets his rent every month.

for every uncreative thai you can find an uncreative falang,

Well said.

Some of you ppl with your own high st. comments make me laugh. JUST blame the locals, since you're soo creative, why not come with ideas so "they can copy" YOUR lead! Then all would be as you want it, RIGHT?!

actually i (OP) did do that and several people have tried to buy my materials so they could copy me since.