Buying Electronic Goods For Export

astral

I am planning to buy a Sony P73 Digital Camera, and as I will be taking it overseas for a friend I would like to get an International Warranty.

I called the Thai call centre who tell me tell me that they do not offer this service?

What a short sighted policy.

I wonder how many of the hundred's of thousands of tourists who visit Thailand

would buy Sony products here if they could get an International warranty?

Now they have to go to other countries like Singapore, and Thailand loses the business.

Well done Sony, that is an excellent marketing policy.

Normally they don't do it for the export market. Reason being that you have to buy it from the local Sony dealer in the country you want to send it too. Large companies do not like grey imports. It complicates business.

As you say, it is for export.

It depends on the company, it depends on the country - Canon don't universally give international warranties. I bought a Canon digital camera in Hong Kong last year and it came with a Hong Kong only warranty; Canon don't offer an international warranty in Hong Kong.

At least here in Thailand, the stores seem to be quite open in saying that it is a Thailand-only warranty - in Hong Kong, many people buy things that are supposed to have international warranties and then find out later that it's not true...

Also, you said that Thailand loses the business (true) but Sony doesn't lose the business - it just gets transferred from Sony Thailand to Sony Singapore...