Indian Food

BossHogg

It is a really expensive hotel, so pretty good chance that the restaurant will be too.

I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I could be fairly sure that I would like it, but every time I get a recommendation for Indian food in Thailand, I go there with high hopes, only to be disappointed. :o

We took clients there for dinner and it is expensive. The restaurant decor etc was very nice but to be honest I was disapointed with the food. It was well cooked and nicely presented but to my mind quite bland and uninspiring. I don't think it was worth the cost and would not recommend it to anyone as a great restaurant.

CB

Sounds like the Whole Earth restaurant. Expensive ingredients and it should be good, but its not quite right! :D

Hi U!

No, he's talking about The Chedi Hotel, I think, which IS good and IS authentic (2 full time Indian chefs) and offers the best 5 star discount card in town: free and offering 20 per cent on food AND DRINK. It's a real 5 star so it's not cheap to begin with, but the ambience and service IS 5-star and the portions are Very generous.

If you want REAL Indian at Whole Earth (especially hot) they politely ask you to order specifically in advance and in my limited experience that works. Hinlay is great, Le Spice is so-so and Bombay (on the left between CM Gate and the hospital) must be the best value in good, authentic, basic curries and breads.

The poster who rubbished Indian food in Anusorn Market must be talking about the miserable proprietor of 'Arabia'. Try it again when the old fool isn't around, please!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked for the Bombay restaurant about 8pm yesterday but didn't find it or a hospital. Checking out a map this morning, I think I figured out that I should have been looking South of Chiang Mai Gate, not North.

Will try again...

Tried Hinlay Curry House today for the first time. Fantastic food in a nice quiet garden setting. The hanglay pork curry was great, the vindaloo even better.

Just when i thought i had given up on Chiangmai for a decent Indian feed. :o

Hmm, the restaurant's name (Hinlay) is Burmese, and they serve a northern Thai dish known to descend from hinlay, i.e., hanglay. So is this resto Burmese-owned? Burmo-Indian? Indo-Lanna? Intriguing ...

Tried Hinlay Curry House today for the first time. Fantastic food in a nice quiet garden setting. The hanglay pork curry was great, the vindaloo even better.

Hmm, the restaurant's name (Hinlay) is Burmese, and they serve a northern Thai dish known to descend from hinlay, i.e., hanglay. So is this resto Burmese-owned? Burmo-Indian? Indo-Lanna? Intriguing ...

Good question, and it's one that i can't answer.

However i do know it's on the grounds of Louie Leonowens (Anna's son) old house.

Nice spot.

Good question, and it's one that i can't answer.

However i do know it's on the grounds of Louie Leonowens (Anna's son) old house.

Nice spot.

Correct. A very sophisticated Thai family who have owned that lovely house (formerly the Japanese Consul too) for many years and just wanted to do something different. So many 'hobby businesses' like this collapse, and rightly so, in weeks, but this is REAL and deserves to continue and succeed.

And, Dustoff, yes, Bombay IS south of CM Gate. As you go along the outside of the moat, turn SHARP left at the Gate (not slight left onto Wualai). Bombay is in the first shophouse block on your left, before the hospital. If you are cheeky like me you can park in the hospital car park, or in the rough soi on the right in between the yellow seelors.

The vegetarian Indian down soi 9 moonmuang is good for masal dosas but their Thalis are a little bland. i once used the upstair toilet (downstairs is/was really bad) and there was an old blind Indian woman tied to a bed on the first floor. best not to ask questions as my food hadn't arrived yet.

This thread is making me incredibly hungry and I'll add my vote to Hinlay which does seem to have some Burmese influence - to my taste - as Sabaijai noted BUT . . . . "there was an old blind Indian woman tied to a bed on the first floor." WHAT??!!?? Are you for real? Did you not consider doing or saying something about this or do you see that kind of thing every day round your way? Or is there a gag here that has completely passed me by?

JxP

The
German, French, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Hebrew, Russian, Polish and a few others. However, we stay away from Thai so as to not piss the Thai book dealers off. :D

I am so going to have to visit you whenever I get to LOS.

The Indian vegetarian down soi 9 Moonmuang is good for masal dosas but their Thalis are a little bland.

The original Indian vegetarian down soi 9 Moonmuang went out of business about one year ago. They moved to Bangkok. :o

I have tried the Indian cuisine at The Chedi on a couple of occasions, and agree with cm das. For me it's the best Indian in town, hands down (haven't tried Hinlay, but with a Burmese name remain sceptical!). The Thai cuisine at The Chedi is also excellent, in my experience. The chef for the Indian portions of the menu is Indian, the chef for the Thai dishes, Thai. Service is impeccable, the atmo to match. Cheap charlies won't like the prices. Regular customers get a 20% discount. It's probably my favourite top-end dining experience in Chiang Mai. No I don't get any freebies there ...

I enjoy hole in the wall restos just as much as the top end, but I found the veg Indian on Moon Muang Soi 9 virtually inedible. Arabia in the Anusarn Night Market isn't bad.

What about that place in a sub-soi off Tha Phae Rd that supposedly only does takeout? I'd heard it was good.

found some frozen indian food from Rang Mahal Restaurant, Bangkok at Rimping Super market at the Nim Si Seng plaza thing. Very nicely packed. bought Chicken Tikka at THB100. Was so-so.

The food at the restaurant itself is superb! Rang Mahal,Rembrant Hotel.

Is it as good as Rang Mahal at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Singapore? It is wonderful there.

Not sure, but have been to the one in Bangkok for the Sunday brunch, some of the best Indian food I have ever had, and I have had lots.

Is it as good as Rang Mahal at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Singapore? It is wonderful there.

Not sure, but have been to the one in Bangkok for the Sunday brunch, some of the best Indian food I have ever had, and I have had lots.

nope have not been to the one in singapore.

found some frozen indian food from Rang Mahal Restaurant, Bangkok at Rimping Super market at the Nim Si Seng plaza thing. Very nicely packed. bought Chicken Tikka at THB100. Was so-so.

Rang Mahal, yes, fab north Indian fare. Expensive, very formal atmosphere. The original Royal India on Chakkaphet Rd in the heart of Pahurat is still the gold standard for Bangkok hole-in-the-wall Indian restos, of which there are many in the neighbourhood. There are 2 very good south Indian (which I prefer over north Indian) places on Soi 20 Suk, Komala's and Krishna's. Both cheap and very authentic, the clientèle is mostly local Indian families. (Sorry, a bit OT this being the Chiang Mai subforum. :o )

My personal favourite curry house in Chiang Mai is the one above Macdonalds in the night market. I have been going there for about 2 1/2 years now when I am in CM, but cant remember the name now!

Only issue I have is that they usually close before midnight.

I have got into the habit of ordering a take away and having it delivered to the Red Lion!

My personal favourite curry house in Chiang Mai is the one above Macdonalds in the night market. I have been going there for about 2 1/2 years now when I am in CM, but cant remember the name now!

I have got into the habit of ordering a take away and having it delivered to the Red Lion!

How does the Red Lion feel about that?

My wife and i had a prawn curry (almost vindaloo), onion bahji's, chicken tikka and a few garlic naan's..

In our opinion it was sensational.

Really great feed and what better way to have it that at "home sweet home"..best night out at home in ages.. :o

Ive been to that one once, i think its called Taj but not sure...anyway i wont go there again, really unimpressed. That was the place where they didnt know what a vindaloo was when i asked if they did one. :o

Thats the one, the Taj.

I agree, you do need to ask them to really spice up the food.

I find it one of the most annoying things about Thailand, the general belief that westeners do not like hot food!

it wasnt that the food needed spicing up. When i asked if they did a vindaloo, theyd never heard of it, or phaal or dansak.Cant remember what was on the menu now.Maybe i was asking for things that are from a different area or country? And yeh i know, it does say on the menu what they have so just order from there!!!!! :o

Thats the one, the Taj.

I find it one of the most annoying things about Thailand, the general belief that westeners do not like hot food!

it wasnt that the food needed spicing up. When i asked if they did a vindaloo, theyd never heard of it, or phaal or dansak.Cant remember what was on the menu now.Maybe i was asking for things that are from a different area or country? And yeh i know, it does say on the menu what they have so just order from there!!!!! :o

vindaloo is traditionally a goan (goa) dish. and is really not popular in northern india such as dehli or punjab. so don't be surprised if you don't find vindaloo in some indian restaurants.

Phaal is generally from Bangladesh..

Never heard of Dansak either.

Thats the one, the Taj.

vindaloo is traditionally a goan (goa) dish. and is really not popular in northern india such as dehli or punjab. so don't be surprised if you don't find vindaloo in some indian restaurants.

Phaal is generally from Bangladesh..

Never heard of Dansak either.

cheers for that.I guessed that was the case as alot of Indian restaurants in the uk are Punjabi or Bangladeshi.The Dansak is a spicey dish with lentils, usually pretty hot

Given the interest in Indian food I am thinking of putting on an Indian Curry night to coincide with the Unofficial Piss Up on the 23rd.

I will do an Indian buffet. 3 curries, naan (if I can get it at a reasonable price - suggestions welcome), rice, samozas, onion bhajis etc. Should be about 150 per head for those wishing to indulge - good idea or not?

Given the interest in Indian food I am thinking of putting on an Indian Curry night to coincide with the Unofficial Piss Up on the 23rd.

I will do an Indian buffet. 3 curries, naan (if I can get it at a reasonable price - suggestions welcome), rice, samozas, onion bhajis etc. Should be about 150 per head for those wishing to indulge - good idea or not?

I think this is an excellent idea!

You were out of the Samozas when I came by for lunch and the computer group yesterday but the Chicken Masala I had was the best I have had in years. Count me in...

Has anyone tried the Pakistani restaurant off Loi khro? cant remember the name but has a green sign offering Punjab food?

no, but where bouts on loy khroy is it?

sorry to be crap but i dont know the name of the road! anyway, go down loi kro until you get to the crossroads ( imperial mae ping on your right, straight on to the night bazar) turn left and it would be about 100 meters on your left.

The Punjab restaurant I think BH is refering to is actually called "Punjab". To clarify the above directions, after you make the left turn off of Loi Kroi and go 100 meters, then turn left again down a small soi. the restaurant is then 50 meters on the right. They have small signs on the road at every turn.

I was there again on friday night. It was better than ever. Incredibly fresh Palak Paneer. in fact everything is made fresh so don't go if you're in a hurry. The Chicken Keema was excellent too, as was the Beef Curry. The only dwnside is the seating. The chairs are too big for the table and are very uncomfortable. But it's about the food, right?

Excellent idea MB and hopefully can become a regular thing :o how about some saag aloo also ?

At 150 you can count me in everytime

Thats the one, the Taj.

I went to the opening bash of the Taj. It was started by a sophisticated Bangladeshi who was much more interested in the politics of his own nation than food, and it showed.

Tried it a couple of times later and was totally unimpressed. Bland - and no beer. I don't mind places that don't stock alcohol because of their religious beliefs, but they wouldn't even send someone out for a bottle. So, sorry, but I can't eat curry without a beer.

I believe it has changed hands since opening, but I also hear that it's not improved.

I read in another thread there is soon to be a new Indian restaurant near the Salsa kitchen. Anymore info anyone?

The Royal India restaurant will be the name of the place and it's in that area where the salsa kitchen and the reggae bars are.

The owner has a small [seating for about six people] place on the main rd, Rajawiti at the moment which opens up about 5.30 in the evening.

I tried it on Saturday night I had a chicken kebab 50baht and 2 samosas with chutney and salad for 20baht - very reasonably priced and the food was very good. The menu is smallish at the moment - a masala curry, biriyani at 25baht one or two other dishes but if the quality of food stays the same the Royal India looks like somewhere that will be worth heading to.

The only downpoint was the owner who didn't appear to be the most personable of people, maybe it was just his lack of English.

Directions - Rajawiti rd - same side of the road as the saloon and the UN Irish, it's in the last row of shop houses before you hit the crossroads

I looked for the Bombay restaurant about 8pm yesterday but didn't find it or a hospital. Checking out a map this morning, I think I figured out that I should have been looking South of Chiang Mai Gate, not North.

Will try again...

Dustoff, When I last visited - early this year - Bombay was INSIDE the Old City , on the right hand side of the road (?) as you walked away from Pratu Chiang Mai and opposite a Wat.

Good luck.

Cheers