Pattaya Pride! Pattaya Has Arrived.

Jingthing

Decided to post this in general, rather than the Pattaya forum.

Pattaya was mentioned in the latest Bangkok-based Big Chili Magazine as ...

"the most cosmopolitan city in Thailand"

This is based on the incredibly diverse demographic of vistors and residents, yes even compared to Bangkok.

Pattaya is growing up. Many of us are sick and tired of the slanderous tripe gererated by the international media focusing only on illicit sex. There is so much more.

Now it is time for Pattaya to promote itself in a way that reflects its new hyper-sophistication. No more "Good Guys Go the Heaven, Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirts.

Pattaya needs new t-shirts, new slogans.

One idea I had was a t-shirt with a picture of a taxi meter car saying PATTAYA TAXI METER.

Also, how about a slogan? Bangkok has the Big Chili, the Big Mango, etc.

What shall the newly emerging New Pattaya slogan be?

Some ideas for starters:

The Big Stomach

The Big Prik

Not so good, but please pipe in with your Pattaya promoting PR ideas.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pattaya - the most upcoming most expensive city in south east asia.

and on it arse big time, hopefully not for long, but this low season was very low. however filing up quickly at the moment. maybe just a bad summer?

hope so!!! i love this city

Edited by kopite

when I can visit Patters and feel like I've not walked into a late 70's and early 80's time warp seeing men in bad fashions I might believe you.

If I can walk about Patters and not get a one 'hi mister' I might believe you.

If I can go to the beach there and not see one speedo wearing, fat gutted bloke, I might believe you

If I can leave Patters and not feel like I have to disinfect myself, I might beleive you.

I dearly wish that what the big chilli magazine was claiming to be true, but it is not quite there yet.

when I can visit Patters and feel like I've not walked into a late 70's and early 80's time warp seeing men in bad fashions I might believe you.

If I can walk about Patters and not get a one 'hi mister' I might believe you.

If I can go to the beach there and not see one speedo wearing, fat gutted bloke, I might believe you

If I can leave Patters and not feel like I have to disinfect myself, I might beleive you.

I dearly wish that what the big chilli magazine was claiming to be true, but it is not quite there yet.

1. only in pattaya do you get a "hey mister" ?- beaut!!!

2. speedo wearing fat gutted blokes only exist in pattaya - beaut!!!

3. disinfect yourself? again - beaut!!!

BKK smells of rat piss = FACT !!!

(hey mister) Ha, Ha, Ha - and your a mod?

Edited by kopite

God yes, soon there will be the Pattaya Opera house, the Pattaya center of experimental art, and the Pattaya fashion week...

:o:D :D

and the Pattaya fashion week...

:o:D:D

erm, maxim just held that yer beaut!!!

God yes, soon there will be the Pattaya Opera house, the Pattaya center of experimental art, and the Pattaya fashion week...

:o:D :D

Doubtful on the opera house, but there are art galleries here and when the super big Bangkok style mall opens in 2009, I am sure there will be fashion shows.

I know Bangkok pretty well, and believe it or not, there are things in Pattaya that really give Bangkok a run for the money. Some new things happening here, really good Persian restaurants (better than Bangkok's by far), really good Korean restaurants equal and better than Bangkok, really good Russian restaurants (better than Bangkok). I would bet big money on Pattaya now, we have a nice ocean view and air you can breathe!

The cosmopolitan aspect is reflected by the fact that Pattaya is now a truly INTERNATIONAL city. A much greater percentage of residents and tourists are not Thai. They come from all over the world. That pretty much defines cosmopolitan.

cos·mo·pol·i·tan

adjective

Definition:

1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures

the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope

events of national and cosmopolitan importance

BTW, lots of cosmopolitan people like a good shag now and again too! The Big Sleazy is growing on me ...

Of course, these are the early days of the emergence of Pattaya as a great world city. When we finally get Bangkok style TAXI METERS, then it will be official.

Edited by Jingthing

All the football hooligans go for the great games that are played there.

not sure what you mean by that? football hooligans travel 6000 miles to have it in pattaya? mind you they would avoid the police. another weird post!!!

Doubtful on the opera house, but there are art galleries here and when the super big Bangkok style mall opens in 2009, I am sure there will be fashion shows.

I know Bangkok pretty well, and believe it or not, there are things in Pattaya that really give Bangkok a run for the money. Some new things happening here, really good Persian restaurants (better than Bangkok's by far), really good Korean restaurants equal and better than Bangkok, really good Russian restaurants (better than Bangkok). I would bet big money on Pattaya now, we have a nice ocean view and air you can breathe!

The cosmopolitan aspect is reflected by the fact that Pattaya is now a truly INTERNATIONAL city. A much greater percentage of residents and tourists are not Thai. They come from all over the world. That pretty much defines cosmopolitan.

cos·mo·pol·i·tan

adjective

Definition:

1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures

the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope

events of national and cosmopolitan importance

BTW, lots of cosmopolitan people like a good shag now and again too! The Big Sleazy is growing on me ...

Of course, these are the early days of the emergence of Pattaya as a great world city. When we finally get Bangkok style TAXI METERS, then it will be official.

Pattaya art galleries? :D

You mean those paint after a photo, copy your favorite old master cheaply and badly chop shops?

I can imagine the Pattaya fashion show: Prize for the coolest football shirt, extra mention of the most tasteful combination of white socks, sandals and shorts. And of course a wet T-shirt contest.

Worldwide relevance? Yeah of course - WW2 is still fought between beer bellied Brits and Germans.

Cosmopolitan? Right... Manchester-Pattaya-Dortmund - the axis of the mullet.

:o

Yes, REAL art galleries. Have you spent any time in Pattaya outside the supeficial first impressions?

Find some other city to trash, Pattaya is on the up.

<a href="http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=7931" target="_blank">http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=7931</a>

Pattaya fashion shows are focused on nightlife and beach fashions, as apt for a COSMOPOLITAN beach and party time resort. With the Russians coming (they have already come) the crowd is becoming much younger.

I agree that the third definition, worldwide relevance, does not really apply as yet, but that is the third level definition of cosmopolitan. For the first and second levels, COSMOPOLITAN PATTAYA is spot on and exactly what Pattaya is. Surely, you know Bangkokians have been coming to Pattaya for years to enjoy moderately priced European food, very hard to find in Bangkok.

I live in Pattaya. I have met other people who like me live here who come from many of the great cities of the world. Yet, they chose Pattaya and they are glad they did. Perhaps, bashers, you might have a closer look?

Edited by Jingthing

What, no Pattaya bashers?

There is no need for ThaiVisa members to bash Pattaya. The AP news agency is doing a good job:

Police said one of the focuses of their search is the town of Pattaya — a popular seaside resort about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok — known for its beaches, thriving sex industry and high crime rate.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-10-18-neil_N.htm

--

Maestro

There is no need for ThaiVisa members to bash Pattaya. The AP news agency is doing a good job:

Yes, I agree.

Yet, I submit they are wrong and are living in the past. They don't see the new emerging Pattaya that I and many others see clearly now.

Visit the new Avenue Mall for a taste ...

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I agree.

Yet, I submit they are wrong and are living in the past. They don't see the new emerging Pattaya that I and many others see clearly now.

Pat is becoming more like bkk, but it still has a long way to go. I don't see the AP report as bashing. Out of the 3 words mentioned :beaches, sex industry and crime. Only "crime" is slightly bashing. I think it's positive advertising. When people see beach and sex mixed together, they start booking airline tickets.

Again, I disagree.

Yes, Pattaya is becoming the Bangkok by the sea.

But Bangkok will never have the sea (well, until it sinks).

Also, Bangkok isn't likely to ever have breathable air.

Russians aren't dumb people, they go straight to Pattaya ...

Yes, I am saying that over time Pattaya will be MUCH BETTER than Bangkok, not equal, BETTER.

Edited by Jingthing

... for a COSMOPOLITAN beach and party time resort. ..

... For the first and second levels, COSMOPOLITAN PATTAYA is spot on and exactly what Pattaya is. ...

"Cosmopolitan":

1. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.

2. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world

3. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest

4. Ecology Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed

I think you are meaning definition number 2. So what you're saying is Pattaya now attracts its sex tourists from all over the world. agreed8mv.gif

Oops. bolt.gif

I think you are meaning definition number 2. So what you're saying is Pattaya now attracts its sex tourists from all over the world.

Pattaya attracts diverse people from all over the world, not only sex tourists. Yes, there are sex tourists here. You can also find them in Bangkok, Amsterdam, Paris, Mexico City, Acapulco, San Francisco, Rio, Buenos Aires, Havana, I could go on, but you get my point. BTW, the vast majority of the Russians here are most certainly not sex tourists.

And please, get real. What would a cosmopolitan international beach resort be without recreational sex available. Thailand and Pattaya do not deserve any special stigma for this.

Edited by Jingthing