Visa questions from an american

Hello,

I will be coming from the USA to Malaysia (in August) and then to Thailand on or about 20 Sept.  I have some visa dilemnas that I need help with:

1. If I apply for a 60 day visa on August 1 in the USA before I leave for Malaysia, do I have until Oct. 31 to leave Thailand, OR do I have 60 days from the date that I enter Thailand?  You see the importance of my question...I am coming to do scientific research in the area of Chumphon from 20 Sept-10 November.  What would you advise to be the best way to get 60 days in Thailand?  I would prefer not having to go across the Malay border and come back...

2. How easy is the border crossing coming north from Malaysia?  Can I get a 60 day visa at that border crossing?  Or must I have a visa stamp from the Thai embassy in the USA in order to cross there (at the border) into Thailand?

3. How long is the trip from the SW border crossing to Hat Yai?  Do buses do this route, or must I take a taxi?  What is the cost involved?

Thank You

Robert DeCandido, PhD

NYC

Hi Doctor Rob,

I am not positive but I believe the 60 days would start upon entering Thailand.  Visa's issued usually have a shelf life of about 3 months with which to put them to use and upon entering Thailand, your 60 day countdown should begin there.  You have to apply for the extended tourist visa from the Thai consulate abroad but if that couldnt be done, you can get a visa on arrival when entering for 30 days and then go apply for an easy extension to your tourist visa while in country.  I dont know anything about the Hat Yai situation so maybe somebody else can help you with that.

You tourist visa will normally have a use by date three months later.  You can enter Thailand any time during this period and receive a 60 day stay.  Once you use the visa the "stay" stamp it what is important, the visa can be long expired before you leave Thailand.  You could also receive a tourist visa in Georgetown, Penang if you want to wait until you are in Malaysia.  You can not receive a tourist visa at the border, but being American you would receive a 30 day entry without charge.  From the Sadao border checkpoint it is about one hour to Hat Yai.  Am sure there is bus service but have always traveled on taxi or van from Penang.  There is a share taxi stand (taxi to Hat Yai signs) on the Malay side that most people would use if in the area.  They wait for 5 but you can also charter yourself.  It is not expensive but don't remember price.