Motorbike Licence?

whitethai

Hi,

when I stayed as a tourist here, I always used my international license.

Since I work here, I applied for a thai license. I would recommend to have one. Although when I was stopped by police they never asked for it, but could be important in case of an accident, as I can imagine.

Cheers

You most definitely do.

For tourists an international drivers license (along with their national one) will cover you, as long as it allows you to drive bikes.

Not a big problem for the police (a 300 Baht fine will get you back on your bike and away), but you will end up in heaps of trouble when in an accident without having a license!

You most definitely do.

For tourists an international drivers license (along with their national one) will cover you, as long as it allows you to drive bikes.

Not a big problem for the police (a 300 Baht fine will get you back on your bike and away), but you will end up in heaps of trouble when in an accident without having a license!

Do you need a licence? No, you need to be able to get on a bike and ride it out of the hire place... and many hardly manage that... you also need 200THB/day to pay for the rental...

Will the cops stop you... 50/50 chance... what will it cost you??? 500THB for the speeding fine (regardless of whether you were speeding or not) and 500THB for not having a licence...

ITP and a drivers licence from your home country will probably get you out of the 'no licence' fine, regardless of whether it is endorsed for riding, because the Thai BiB won't be able to read it anyway...

BUT... if you have an accident I AM YET TO FIND ANY TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICY that covers you for riding a motorbike if you aren't licenced to in your home country... regardless of the law in the country of travel... if paying out of your own pocket, Thailand medical costs at top hospitals are almost the same as the US... in the tens of thousands of dollars...

up to you...

Cheers,

Daewoo

All,

I finally got both Thai motocycle and car license. Can you get by without a motocycle license when renting a motobike? Yes you can.

In road blocks and tickets the police have asked to see my license a thousand times (on motobike). A state side license for a car is OK. Car license here supercedes a motobike license. The worst was when I got a ticket for no motobike license up country on a highway. 200B fine. Now do the math. Cheaper to just rent and ride until there is a problem.

Sure you may be in the wrong to not have a license and get into an accident etc. Not having a license will be the least of your problems.

:o

Only once in 4 years and 48K km was I stopped and asked for a license when riding a motorbike. I showed them my Texas :o license and went on my way. But I now carry Thai licenses for both car and bike. Rented a bike in Hua Hin on Saturday and he didn't need to see my Thai licenses; he only glanced at my passport. Your mileage will almost surely vary.

Pattaya has it posted at the 8th soi cop shop as a 1000 baht fine(the highest fine available) Not much compared to having a wreck & not having insurance Unless you got a quick 100,000 baht in your pocket to buy your way out in the case of a death!

if you are in the Pattaya area you need to go towards Rayong(it is not far(a kilo&1/2 or so) Take a motorbike taxi & rent a bike for the test. It was !00 baht rental for the test & 100 baht from Soi Kao talo& 100 back (most likely the same in central Pattaya) Bring 4 pictures Small 1" type (not the imigration size!) your passport Intl drivers lic if you have it. & have many copies of everything you have passport etc. or any of the copy shops will do you for a fee. If you forget a shirt a cheesy smelling one will be provided(like it or not)

Might as well get your car transfered as well as it is the same test for the motorcycle as the Auto. you get a 1 year & at the end of the year you reapply for a 5 year, it goes by birthdate so if you go the day after your birthday on renewal you will actually get a 6 year lic.

# weeks ago they flagged every bike on sukimvit over & only checked for licenses----Guess it was revenue generating tea money day.I thought Thai's were exempt from tickets, but they were handing em out like flyers at the supermarkets.

Good luck Beardog

• Like 1