How To Cook A Bavarian Schweinshaxe?

thai_narak

i had done it couple of times by boiling the pork knuckle with salt and pepper until tender. draining the knuckle and let it hang for an hour or two. finally, deep frying it until the skin is crispy. the end result is not that bad but then i will just ruin everything with a chili sauce or instant gravy.

needless to say, i'm not satisfied with the end result and want to learn on how to do it properly, the bavarian way :o . also, i want to learn how to make the right sauce (real gravy). please someone teach me...

I would doing it this way:

Prepare a pot with boiling salt water.

Pre-cook your pork knuckle only for 10 minutes.

Take it out and scratch the skin with a small knife, 1cm deep.

Bake in the oven starting with low temperature, around 140 degrees.

Place a tray under your roast with some onions, carrots, garlic and leeks to absorb all the fat which makes the gravy later.

Check after 1.5 hours if your knuckle is soft and tender inside.

The last 10-15 minutes get up with the heat to 220 degrees and brush some cold beer on the skin to get it crackling.

_wsb_231x173_haxe.jpg

Gerd

Edited by thaigerd

try this option....

do all the same but the following.

When you put it in the oven, add about one thumb of water (2-3 cm) to the pan. The water will evaporate and the fat from the knuckle will come out. Once the water is evaporated, add the mire poix. Then about every fifteen minutes use a ladel and pour the fat over the knuckle, this will make it nice and crispy.

Pork belly works great this way, just make sure to score the belly and put the skin side down in the water. Once the water has evaporated, then turn the belly over (say 20 minutes). Then ladel the fat over every 15-20 minutes to make it very crispy.

try this

after seasoning the pork rub it with a little vinegar,gives an amazing crackling

and you dont need to pre boil,just start at a very low temp. about 130*C in the oven and up it for the last 15min or so to 220 as mentioned before

good luck,matt