Phuket Gazette - Is It Worth 20 Baht ?

Patong Bob

Since the Nation group took over the Gazette a year or two ago the once informative and lively newspaper has gradually become a bland and boring "magazine-style" tabloid. About two or three pages of very soft news, the - apart from the letters and the classifieds, it is all recipes, restuarant reviews, real estate reviews, horoscope, etc., etc.

The free Andaman post (monthly) at least has some of the gossip about what is really happening on the island.

In the last couple of weeks there has been a shooting, some forced/ unfair evictions, some suicides, and plent of people coming and going, none of which has been referred to in the gazette. Is it just a "Phuket is wonderful, there's no bad news" PR sheet ?

It's worth the 20 baht for letters section, there are some occasional gems there. I can also find at least one other piece of interesting news, however I agree that it is quickly getting bland as boy bands on toast.

I used to think 'how can they get away with printing that!' many times in the past, but not for a long time. Now I worry about reaping the fruits of my labours early next week and wearing emerald on the 7th to aleviate a financial issue.

Andaman post is much better for gossip and humour.

• 4 years later...