Buying A New Car

sgunn65

I have spent the weekend looking at cars to buy and encountered some interesting moments especially at Toyota.

The first Toyota garage I went to said that there were no Fortuners available anywhere to test drive. He also said that they were so popular people just ordered them but that if I wanted to order one I would have to wait 2 months.

A couple of miles later we went into another Toyota garage where they had a demonstrator and show car. They told me I could get one tomorrow. I asked about the Smart and was told the wait would be a month but that I would have to pay an extra 20,000 baht just to order one!!! ANd yes I checked that this was not a deposit. It was a premium payment.

Wow I thought, the Fortuner must be special. Sorry Fortuner owners but I was a bit disapointed by the interior. Imho, although I think it is a good looking beast the inside was very plasticky. The controls felt cheap and flimsy. The drive was fine but a little noisy ( I have never owned a deisel) for my liking. So that was that.

Onwards next door to the Chevvy Captiva. Not bad but again noisy, I think I am just not cut out for the deisel. And 1,560,000 a full 200,000 more than the Smart. Pang!

Thence on to Honda. I had liked what I had read about them and I have to say the difference inside was amazing. The interior has the quality of the better German cars. Everything felt solid and clunked nicely.

I test drove the 2.0 and the 2.4. Both drove like a car and hardly a sound, being petrol. But the 2.4 had real low down and very smooth acceleration. Lots of really nice touches like the conversation mirror in with built in sunglasses holder. Dual control climate, parking sensors and 8 way electronic seat were nice too. For the extra 100,000 over the Fortuner I will take the extra fuel costs to get the quiet and finish.

SO I ordered one!!! Now all I need is the finance to be accepted!!!

I did have to go to 2 dealers to get the best deal. I managed to get included for free:

1st years insurance

Infotainment Centre (GPS etc) costing 26,500

Free services for 20,000km

Rear spoiler

Side steps

Underseal

Paint protection

Numberplate surround

Floormats

40% Tinting

and a couple of bits I can't remember.

Be persistant as it is like pulling teeth.

I will report on the first months driving as I have a lot of travelling to do over the next month.

[quote name

I did have to go to 2 dealers to get the best deal. I managed to get included for free:

1st years insurance

Infotainment Centre (GPS etc) costing 26,500

Free services for 20,000km

Rear spoiler

Side steps

Underseal

Paint protection

Numberplate surround

Floormats

40% Tinting

and a couple of bits I can't remember.

Be persistant as it is like pulling teeth.

I will report on the first months driving as I have a lot of travelling to do over the next month.

Sorry to say you didn't get the above free. You paid for them. Thais price fix when it comes to motors and the free extras are part of the cars price. It's just a way for them to get you to buy the accessories from them. I've just bought a Fortuner and was given 30,000 B of extras. I only took the basic costing 15000 B and they discounted the remainder from the car price. As for insurance they get the commission. Shop around. The only thing I got for free was free servicing for life, as long as I own the car, including oils and lubricants. Service only at their garage, no where else.

Edited by coventry