Wing 41 Sticker

ricklev

I spent the afternoon getting my Thai motercycle and car licenses. The people at the motor vehicle office could not have been more helpful and it was fairly painless and interesting.

I then prepared the application for the Wing 41 sticker along with all the correct documents and dropped them off at the Wing 41 office. The guy at the office checked everything, including the self addressed envelope they will use to mail the sticker to me. Drops everything in a box and I pay him 60 baht.

Here is the part I 'don't understand: I stand there waiting for a receipt. None is offered so I ask for one. He just smiles and says no receipt. So nobody has any proof that they submitted anything and there is no option if you don't get the sticker in the mail.

I guess I will probably get the sticker but it's awfully annoying.

Oh and thanks for everbody's posts dealing with driver's licenses, Wing 41 etc.! Very helpful!

Edited by ricklev

Our secretary handles the submissions where I work so don't know about a receipt. Seems this means they are excepting applications now? Do you know what the cutoff date is for submitting?

One last question while I'm at it. Do you know what happens if you purchase a new car and still have time left on your current sticker? Since the sticker has the plate numbers and identification of the car, would appear one would need a new one. But with only a short time that applications are open don't know what will happen or if transfer is possible.

It's a top secret disco, run by the gov't, hidden behind the Hmong village up on Doi Suthep mountain.

Just kidding.

Wing 41 is the Royal Thai Airforce airbase, located adjacent to CNX (CM International Airport).

If you have the sticker, you can transit across the base, and cut a lot of time off a journey from the NW part of town, to the S.

It really only serves a purpose for people who live in that part of town.

McG

Actually I find that many (although obviously not most) government and private business systems are far more user friendly than in the west. Banking, motor vehicle registration, driver's licenses, tax payments and rebates, paying bills mobiile phones, movie theatres, etc. all usually work pretty well and when they screw up they are corrected far easier than in my home country.

The posts and ideas that people take umbrage to on internet forums and the inaccurate suppositions that are made about the posters are sometimes amusing, but usually not.

Edited by ricklev

It's a top secret disco, run by the gov't, hidden behind the Hmong village up on Doi Suthep mountain.

Just kidding.

Wing 41 is the Royal Thai Airforce airbase, located adjacent to CNX (CM International Airport).

If you have the sticker, you can transit across the base, and cut a lot of time off a journey from the NW part of town, to the S.

It really only serves a purpose for people who live in that part of town.

McG

It's a fantastic shortcut to get to CNX and Central Plaza from the CMU/Nimmanhaemin area in ~5 minutes rather than 20+ circumnavigating the moat... great for those of us who are running late for a flight and/or absolutely detest sitting around at the terminal. The sticker is a must-have for all Westside jetsetters and trendy fashionistas. :o

It's a fantastic shortcut to get to CNX and Central Plaza from the CMU/Nimmanhaemin area in ~5 minutes rather than 20+ circumnavigating the moat... great for those of us who are running late for a flight and/or absolutely detest sitting around at the terminal. The sticker is a must-have for all Westside jetsetters and trendy fashionistas. :D

And aren't we lucky to count ourselves in those ranks, JMP! :o

• 11 months later...

My staff just told me that there are actually three kinds of passes:

1. General pass is 6:00 am to 6:00pm (this is what most people get)

2. Pass #2 is 6:00am to 9:00pm

3. 24 hour pass

As expected, price increases with level. My staff are heading down this week to apply. If it turns out to be different, I'll let you know.

My staff just told me that there are actually three kinds of passes:

1. General pass is 6:00 am to 6:00pm (this is what most people get)

2. Pass #2 is 6:00am to 9:00pm

3. 24 hour pass

As expected, price increases with level. My staff are heading down this week to apply. If it turns out to be different, I'll let you know.

My pass over the years has always been good till 21.00 hrs and have not come across a 24 hr option, and pay the same every year. Will be interested to hear your feedback, but these could well be restricted to airforce personel, or people attached to the base.

• 2 weeks later...

We went along last month as the earlier posts in this thread suggested and were turned away and told to come back in November. Anyway, I can now confirm that they are well into the application stage but the system seems to have changed in that they aren't mailing them out: we were given a bit of paper to bring back between Jan 25th and Feb 27th to exchange for the passes.