Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

I never said boycott them. I said demand they use the meters. And then if you have an alternative, refuse the ride if they won't and tell them why you are refusing the ride. Not the same thing as a boycott, it is a conditional boycott. And there is a low season you know, when residents become more important.

BTW, you have no idea on whether what I am proposing will help, or not. I don't know it will help either. Both of us are just guessing. However, I do think it is better than doing nothing. Unless you have a better idea of what we as farangs can possibly do about this. Waiting waiting waiting for better ideas of what we as farangs can do. And I do not accept NOTHING.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks EmCross,

This sounds rude, but I think the thing to do ....

Totally out of order IMHO. Here's the OP who declined to ride in a cab to justify his rant, telling somone who did actually ride in a cab and post their experiences that they did the wrong thing.

The same OP who was stands by the reasoning that the meter would be used because the driver said so and left it at that. Maybe the OP feared that the driver would use the meter and the crusade and this thread would die a natural death.

I reckon the OP should be 'mayor' for taxi matters at city hall. A failure to actively do what one repeatedly keeps telling other people to do qualifies one immensely for this onerous task. That will fit right in with the promises, pontification and payola brigade already working there.

What's the terminology I'm grasping for here? All mouth and trousers. That's it.

As for this thread... stick a fork in it. It's done!

Nanlaew,,

It's 4 am (well almost) and I'm pissed - so I will post more when I'm sober.

But in the meantime...

I'm with you every step of the way.

Jingthing lost all credibility when he failed to enter that taxi.

I proposed him for Mayor, as he really measured up to it... "all mouth and trousers"

I love it :o

Jingthing lost all credibility when he failed to enter that taxi.

Another drunk poster full of personal attacks and no constructive suggestions.

Some of my most incisive comments have been made when I'm pissed. :D

Now I am sober, I would not take back one word of it. :o

The constructive congestion - in case you haven't yet realised, is next time tyou see a meter taxi - get in it and see what he charges you, rather than just asking him what he would charge you.

get in it and see what he charges you, rather than just asking him what he would charge you.

I asked you for suggestions about how we as the farang public might positively influence the development of the cab system in GENERAL as it concerns all the people in Pattaya, not me personally. So again you are not capable of taking this past a personal attack.

I'll tell you what, next time I actually need a cab and I actually see one when I need one (very unlikely with only 20 cars in town) I will actually get in one. And if he doesn't turn on the meter, I will walk out of one. Fair enough for you? I doubt it, because this is just a petty sport for you.

Edited by Jingthing

In low season they will still have enough costumers..

If you want to complain, complain to the owners not the drivers.

Because they really dont give a dam_n!

I agree. They'll be sufficient business for 20 yellow cabs all year around, even if they overcharge.

In low season they will still have enough costumers..

If you want to complain, complain to the owners not the drivers.

Because they really dont give a dam_n!

I agree. They'll be sufficient business for 20 yellow cabs all year around, even if they overcharge.

Sure, probably.

But my view is there is enough business for 1000 or 2000 taxis if they operated exactly like Bangkok taxis. You could hail them anywhere at any time and expect to be treated fairly, with the use of METERS. Do the city fathers want legitimate jobs for masses of the people here, and to really bring this city more upscale, or just want to coopt to the same old corruption and mafia tactics?

What some of you nit pickers lack is the VISION THING.

Edited by Jingthing

I never said boycott them. I said demand they use the meters. And then if you have an alternative, refuse the ride if they won't and tell them why you are refusing the ride. Not the same thing as a boycott, it is a conditional boycott. And there is a low season you know, when residents become more important.

BTW, you have no idea on whether what I am proposing will help, or not. I don't know it will help either. Both of us are just guessing. However, I do think it is better than doing nothing. Unless you have a better idea of what we as farangs can possibly do about this. Waiting waiting waiting for better ideas of what we as farangs can do. And I do not accept NOTHING.

Just so you know, we differ greatly on this point.

I came to live in Pattaya knowing exactly what it was like. I accept Pattaya for what it is. If it has yellow taxis which use their meters, then that's great, if they don't, then that's also ok because at the end of the day I realise I'm living in a 3rd World country.

It's also great that Bangkok has taxis which use their meters...fantastic, a bonus. If they didn't that would be ok too.

Jingthing, I really think you've forgotten where you are.

I'll wait, wait, wait here and see what happens. I'll do nothing too, because doing something here is a waste of time.

In the meantime, i'll stay tuned to your thread to see how things progress with Pattaya's new yellow taxis.

Yes, I know, tropo. If you move to a place to live, you can do something. Maybe small things, but some things. And, yes, we disagree. I think there is a lot of collective economic power in the farangs here that is totally untapped and with attitudes like yours, little wonder.

Sure, probably.

But my view is there is enough business for 1000 or 2000 taxis if they operated exactly like Bangkok taxis. You could hail them anywhere at any time and expect to be treated fairly, with the use of METERS. Do the city fathers want legitimate jobs for masses of the people here, and to really bring this city more upscale, or just want to coopt to the same old corruption and mafia tactics?

What some of you nit pickers lack is the VISION THING.

If there were no baht buses, then maybe. A 1000 taxis here alongside 700 baht buses...I don't think so.

If there were no baht buses, then maybe. A 1000 taxis here alongside 700 baht buses...I don't think so.

Reduce some of the baht buses. Obviously.

The baht buses work great on their set routes as BUSES. They work like crap as charter taxis. We don't need truck charter taxis or car charter taxis. We need TAXI METERS.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I know, tropo. If you move to a place to live, you can do something. Maybe small things, but some things. And, yes, we disagree. I think there is a lot of collective economic power in the farangs here that is totally untapped and with attitudes like yours, little wonder.

I'm quite happy with Pattaya the way it is, even without the yellow taxis. If the place didn't improve until the day I die, then I'd still be satisfied because from my angle, Pattaya is as close as I can get to home and live in a cheap 3rd world country at the same time.

Having lived in the even more 3rd world Philippines for 5 years before I came here helped a lot too!

Reduce some of the baht buses. Obviously.

The baht buses work great on their set routes as BUSES. They work like crap as charter taxis. We don't need truck charter taxis or car charter taxis. We need TAXI METERS.

Let's see how these baht buses go on Fridays - Sundays without Beach Road from next week according to their retarded new experiment.

Amongst all the fervour for the mass introduction of taxi meters and the dismissal of a number of baht buses which is said will make way for the thousand(s) of taxi meters let us not forget that the majority of Thai people and the majority of tourists and dare I say it probably the majority of residents who live within a reasonable distance of the Pattaya Centre are more than happy with the trusted songthaew which provides an excellent and affordable service.

Of course it would be nice for the ones who require it to be able to flag down a taxi meter and travel at meter rates for both convenience, preference and longer distance.

Taxi meters in volume in Pattaya will unfortunately not provide the necessary flow of income in order to make them viable and a going concern and the local people will ignore them simply because many can`t afford to use them.

The idea of Bangkok style taxi meters i.e. taxis which adhere to the meter charging policy sounds wonderful in theory but in reality to operate a volume service as has been suggested and compared to Bangkok is I am afraid pretty much pie in the sky. Two different cities with massive population differences and city areas, a vast difference with the numbers of travellers and commuters added together with the local population`s travel needs means that it is incomparable.

Actually, I would like to see a BTS run from my house to the Villa Market, making a few stops along the way... and I think there should be the two-tier pricing, just like on the baht busses... but it should be farangs pay 5 baht per ride on the Pattaya BTS, and locals pay 30 baht. I think the locals should make up for past wrongs, and should start paying reparations.

Amongst all the fervour for the mass introduction of taxi meters and the dismissal of a number of baht buses which is said will make way for the thousand(s) of taxi meters let us not forget that the majority of Thai people and the majority of tourists and dare I say it probably the majority of residents who live within a reasonable distance of the Pattaya Centre are more than happy with the trusted songthaew which provides an excellent and affordable service.

Of course it would be nice for the ones who require it to be able to flag down a taxi meter and travel at meter rates for both convenience, preference and longer distance.

Taxi meters in volume in Pattaya will unfortunately not provide the necessary flow of income in order to make them viable and a going concern and the local people will ignore them simply because many can`t afford to use them.

The idea of Bangkok style taxi meters i.e. taxis which adhere to the meter charging policy sounds wonderful in theory but in reality to operate a volume service as has been suggested and compared to Bangkok is I am afraid pretty much pie in the sky. Two different cities with massive population differences and city areas, a vast difference with the numbers of travellers and commuters added together with the local population`s travel needs means that it is incomparable.

I just think you totally lack a vision of the future here as a more developed INTERNATIONAL city is developing very quickly. Explain to me how people living and staying and wanting to visit the various spots on Pratumnak Hill are served now. They aren't. Or 3rd Road. They aren't. Just two examples. I think you are wrong, just another Gloomy Gus with no imagination.

Edited by Jingthing

I just think you totally lack a vision of the future here as a more developed INTERNATIONAL city is developing very quickly. Explain to me how people living and staying and wanting to visit the various spots on Pratumnak Hill are served now. They aren't. Or 3rd Road. They aren't. Just two examples. I think you are wrong, just another Gloomy Gus with no imagination.

Gloomy...never..........realist....yes.

That's true. I live up there, and if I want to do the trip with regular baht buses as opposed to negotiating a fare, it's a 3x baht bus route with walking and waiting in between, being careful not to give the baht buses along the way the impression I'm taking a special trip.

That's true. I live up there, and if I want to do the trip with regular baht buses as opposed to negotiating a fare, it's a 3x baht bus route with walking and waiting in between, being careful not to give the baht buses along the way the impression I'm taking a special trip.

The Pratumnak and Third road areas could easily and profitably be serviced by a regular Baht bus service. The problem is that these areas have a great number of motor bike taxis depending on income to shuttle people to where they can get a Baht bus. These motor bike taxis are run by another influential "mafia" and will not easily give up these areas. City Hall needs to get this sorted out and have the Baht bus company divert some of their buses to these areas, this would ease up traffic, provide a better service and generate more income to the Baht bus drivers.

Me too and I'd use a taxi if one was available rather than the walk to Theppraya past all the snarling dogs with my wife and child.

And don't forget we need a songthaew service on Thepprasit for those shopping trips to Tesco.

I'll tell you what, next time I actually need a cab and I actually see one when I need one (very unlikely with only 20 cars in town) I will actually get in one. And if he doesn't turn on the meter, I will walk out of one. Fair enough for you? I doubt it, because this is just a petty sport for you.

Sounds fair enough :D

And if I happen to see one, I'll flag it down even if I don't need it and see how he charges. :D

Your missionary zeal seems to have caused you to lose your sense of humour. Why don't you lighten up a little.? After all it is the festive season. :D

Personally, I think that 1000 taxis on the streets of Pattaya is over the top.

In previous debates the consensus seemed to be that there is a need for both Baht buses and Taxis . The trick is to get the mix correct. Clearly 700 Baht buses is too many. Maybe half that number, with 200-300 taxis. I don't really know - a feasibility study needs to be done.

But 1000 taxis? I think not. :o

You won't even recognize this place in 10 years.

I moved back to Pattaya about a year ago after moving out lock, stock and barrel in 1991. Guess what? I still recognize the place. The same mucky beaches, beer bars and baht buses. But it's home again, like my comfortable pair of old slippers, they pong a bit but heaven forbid that I should get a new pair. There's another old (and not personal) adage that springs to mind, 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'.

Alright, my last post was a bit personal since you did appear to take a 'holier than thou' attitude in some of your responses. Not necessarily a bad thing, done it myself but in this instance, it seemed a bit self defeating. Even Mobi withdrew his vote! But, you did ask for constructive ideas so I am momentarily pulling out the fork.

Arbitrarily deciding on an optimal amount of 'Bangkok style meter taxis' in the current scenario just isn't being realistic. Although I still recognised the old slapper that Pattaya has become, I didn't comprehend the lack of consideration given by local government to public transportation, roads and infrastructure until recently. I consider that mixing baht buses with meter taxis, motor cycle taxis and the odd scheduled bus without having a coherent plan will only mean less parking spaces and more cars on the streets with greater pollution, etc., ad nauseum.

If the city fathers and others in local government really cared about the future of Pattaya, either as their fading tourist 'star' destination or a newer, grander version of Bang Saen for the overwhelming amount of locals (in comparison to the amount of tourists) who live and work within 45 minutes of the place, then they should have carried out a huge independent assessment by professional consultants experienced in such matters. But in reality they have not.

So who suffers most? It's not the odd retiree farang with a patch of paradise on the 'dark side' and it's not the average tourist who according to TAT spends on average only 9 days in the country and therefore (I am making up the numbers here) maybe only 2 or 3 days in Pattaya. You would think that the traditional lobby of 5-star hotels would have enough clout to pressure for a traffic and transportation study and a solution. After all, some of them have been here in some shape and form since the 1980's. But they too seem resigned to the fact that nothing is going to change and as long as they have access to plenty huge privately-owned airconditioned buses to ferry maybe only a dozen people to (for example) Alcazar or deliver another bunch to the Bali Hai end of Walking street, then they have done the best that they can.

Public transportation is normally a state or government subsidised service for the benefit of the lower paid and working classes. Just looking at Thai history and government indicates that those who consider themselves in the elite of society (and curiously those in local or national government consider themselves in this elite or at least aspire to be), pay lip-service to the more impoverished masses. Enter your privately-owned and unregulated transport providers, probably owned by or paying money to someone in the aforementioned 'elite' and you see why Pattaya in particular and Thailand in general hasn't really come top of the class in providing any basic public services. Thaksin (love him or hate him) tried to change that (for whatever reasons you ascribe to) on a much grander scale and promptly got 'run out of Dodge'.

If by some miracle there is a quantum leap in attitude by the mental giants that run this city (while filling their pockets) and proper meter cabs are introduced on a regulated plan, I hope that it will not be more of the regular 4-door compact sedans that we see now. They are impractical for the majority of potential users here in Pattaya; be it the retiree with mobility issues and half a dozen plastic bags of weekly groceries or the young family with their beach paraphernalia or the local merchants transporting their wares to market or stall. Most of these taxis aren't even practical for conveying the longer stay tourist to and from the airport since any conversion to lpg means half the trunk is taken up with the gas tank. How many meter taxis have you seen with at least 1 suitcase jammed inside the cab? In Vietnam, most newer taxis are like a mini- SUV, with 4 doors that you don't need to stoop to get in and out of and a 5th rear tailgate with room for suitcases, boogie boards and the kitchen sink. There's even a roof rack on some. Oh yes, and they all have meters.

I may be wrong but I think the OP has already resigned himself to driving himself around town and would not be a 'frequent flier' in Bangkok style taxi meter terms anyway. I too have only used a baht bus maybe 3 or 4 times since I have returned and chose to drive myself and avoid the inner city at weekends. However, like Mobi, if I do see a Pattaya yellow cab when I am on foot, I will flag it down and 'walk the walk', not just 'talk the talk'. But in the end, it will be purely an academic exercise because if one Thai politician can't challenge the feudal patronage system that encourages entities like your alleged transportation 'mafia', what hope for one non-resident farang?

In hind sight, everything may be a lot different in 10 years time but I'm not talking about baht buses or global warming here. In the meantime, how about Don Quixote for your next avatar Jing?

post-37101-1198525693_thumb.jpgI can live with Don Quixote.

I use baht buses to go everywhere, and walk alot, which isn't a bad thing. I don't use moto taxis because I consider them too dangerous. I use baht buses as charters only when very desperate. I would use taxi meters if they were hailable and used the meters. There are huge areas of town I would love to go to more often but don't bother because of the transport options. I think you are totally wrong about the need for larger taxis. There are baht buses if you need a truck. There are Bangok taxis and charter cars if you need a car to the airport or Bangkok.

I agree one non-resident can't change much. But one loud mouth non-resident farang, who knows? I was raised with the notion that it is indeed individual people that change the world. Don Quixote indeed.

Edited by Jingthing

post-37101-1198525693_thumb.jpgI can live with Don Quixote.

I use baht buses to go everywhere, and walk alot, which isn't a bad thing. I don't use moto taxis because I consider them too dangerous. I use baht buses as charters only when very desperate. I would use taxi meters if they were hailable and used the meters. There are huge areas of town I would love to go to more often but don't bother because of the transport options. I think you are totally wrong about the need for larger taxis. There are baht buses if you need a truck. There are Bangok taxis and charter cars if you need a car to the airport or Bangkok.

I agree one non-resident can't change much. But one loud mouth non-resident farang, who knows? I was raised with the notion that it is indeed individual people that change the world. Don Quixote indeed.

I stand corrected in assuming your were 'self-propelled', my apologies. I agree with you re- motorcycle 'taxis' as death traps though. I have only used them 2 or 3 times and they never have a helmet to fit my big farang head.

If I ever discover how to post a picture, I will show you the type of mini- suv I am talking about in Vietnam. This is way smaller than a Fortuner or a baht bus, maybe they are locally assembled. I used a couple when I was working around Thai Binh and Haiphong last year. I also saw them in Vung Tau this year. I am 6' 4" and have creaky knees and hate crowbarring myself in and out of a Toyota or Nissan [insert small sedan model here]. If I was fat, it would be life threatening!

Keep fighting the good fight then.

Edited by NanLaew

I don't agree that there is not enough business to keep the taxis employed at the meter rate. Theproblem comes when they jack the rate up, won't use the meter and thus drive people away. I had some clown wanting Bt250 from Naklua to Soi Khaotalo in a baht bus the other day !

Today, we tried to call the meter taxis. No answer on 038 368 113 over a 2 hour period. We called a taxi from Khao Noi and they wanted Bt50 more than normal and those little buggers will get the sack soon enough.

You could get rid of 300ht buses and replace them with taxis and the place would be great. You cannot just add 300 taxis to an already oversaturated transport system.

Yes, if a culture was built up of taxi meters and people learned they did use the meters, the demand would be fantastic. And it would be GREAT for local businesses, especially those in more out of the way places, 3rd Road, Pratumnak, the developing areas of inland Jomtien. They could advertise with taxi cards and draw in lots of new business.

Edited by Jingthing