Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

Indeed, I have taken Bangkok taxis for years, so I would judge Bali Hai Pier to lower Jomtien about 50 to 60 baht, and that includes time for some traffic delays.

Where is the real justification (MAFIA) for triple the rate of Bangkok which all would agree has a more expensive cost of living for farangs and Thais?

Yes, compare to Bangkok, not Boston, OK?

I do think one difference could or should be allowed for and that is a call fee. In other words you call for a taxi to come pick you up. In that case a pickup charge of 50 baht would make sense until such a time that Pattaya achieves the taxi density of Bangkok.

Yes I agree that you can't expect Pattaya fares to be the same as UK or USA or anywhere else for that matter. Each location has its own particular features. For example, Pattaya cabs will be asked to cross Sukhumvit to both pick up and drop off. From the cabies point of view that would most likely mean either dead time and distance either on the trip out or coming back. Why should drivers go to low density populated areas without adequate reward? It seems 300 baht is seen by many drivers as the 'right price'. Unless the meters reflect that then no one will willingly go there. Maybe an extra Dark Side Zone Charge if you cross Sukhumvit or an outta town charge to go up the hill to Jomtien would help.

A tariff that works in a densely populated area like Bangkok would not work here.

I put up the Brighton tariff to show what happens when you have expensive regulators making decisions and not the experts who know all about it i.e. the cabbies and their customers.

The way to obtain a thriving taxi service is to make sure that the cabs are profitable. In the meantime the drivers, who know all about taxi economics are reluctant to use meters. This suggests that the set tariff is not profitable enough for them to operate it.

The market is speaking.

Even in Bangkok it is hard to get a cab to use the meter from places like Patpong at night. 35baht + 5 baht per kilometre isn't enough. If it was enough the cabs would be lining up to take passengers at those prices. Instead they line up to negotiate a suitable price between a willing seller and a willing buyer. Everyone is then happy. You can always use other means if you don't like the price.

If prices are held down by an unreasonably low tariff there will never be a large and willing Pattaya Taxi Meter fleet.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way to obtain a thriving taxi service is to make sure that the cabs are profitable. In the meantime the drivers, who know all about taxi economics are reluctant to use meters. This suggests that the set tariff is not profitable enough for them to operate it.

The market is speaking.

The market is not speaking. The MAFIA is speaking. You are totally naive. Bangkok taxis didn't use meters for decades and then they were FORCED to. We need to force them. Period. You aren't really getting it. The price is too high. The taxis are SITTING. This will fail the way it is now and the baht bus mafia will be happy because they don't want taxi meters in this town anyway. I am absolutely 100 percent convinced the drivers would make MORE money working and driving at a fair meter rate than they do now, and also a huge demand would be created, meaning many many more cars, many more drivers with decent jobs, and of course the PUBLIC really being SERVED.

I don't have a problem with out of zone surcharges as long as they are officially defined and enforced consistently,and I never said I did, 300 baht? MAFIA! It costs 800 baht to go to Bangkok!

To the defenders and rationalizers of the corrupt transport MAFIA that controls Pattaya, perhaps you ought to make it official and apply for farang public relations propagandists for their side. Others, those on the side of the public and jobs for Thais and real useful service and progress of a better Pattaya, remember SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, the fact that you have spent all day posting on this issue using hysterical MAFIA language and that you are urging people to engage in rude and aggressive behaviour suggests you're mentally unbalanced and have allowed this issue to obsess you.

Have you really got nothing better to do in Pattaya than wonder from taxi to taxi, pestering the drivers and slamming their doors?

Jingthing, the fact that you have spent all day posting on this issue using hysterical MAFIA language and that you are urging people to engage in rude and aggressive behaviour suggests you're mentally unbalanced and have allowed this issue to obsess you.

Have you really got nothing better to do in Pattaya than wonder from taxi to taxi, pestering the drivers and slamming their doors?

Indeed, if you have read my posts, you would already know that I would only ever approach a taxi if and when I actually want to ride a taxi and there is a taxi in my sights. Honestly, if a slanderer like you is capable of being honest, does that sound anything like wandering from taxi to taxi? I was looking to take a taxi yesterday and not one of three was willing to behave like a taxi. Thus, I SLAMMED THE DOOR AND WALKED AWAY! If one of the three was willing to behave like their BIG SIGN said TAXI METER, I would be singing the praises of at least that one decent driver.

It is kind if funny because other critics have suggested I am not active enough in chasing down the taxis. That I lost credibility for not taking rides I don't need or want. But I didn't back down; that line of attack was absurd. Surely, someone like me who is bold enough to speak out, will always be attacked from all sides. I stand by my policy. Only approach taxis when you actually want to use them, but DO NOT use them if they are not willing to live up to their BIG SIGN which says taxi METER.

I am calling on all residents and tourists to do the same to make a difference. That is, until we get the service that we deserve here.

So far, this only happened one time so far. It might be years before it happens again. I am urging others to demand the taxis use their meters, or, if not, BOYCOTT THEM, and if you refuse to understand my motivation and wish to engage in personal attacks, I can't control you. They are a MAFIA. I call it like I see it and suggest you open your eyes as well.

Choose your side, folks, I see Mr. Edward has chosen his. I am sure I am not the first person in the world who has called on the public to take CONCRETE ACTION to try to make a positive change and take a stand against corruption to be called mentally unbalanced by small minded reactionary people. I revel in your insults, from one such as you, it is surely a compliment.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing

Uh....take a chill pill, dude!!

Although you ARE sounding a touch hysterical, I suspect it is a Weho-type hysteria.....

Several of us have tried to have a reasonable dialogue with you. You are just stirring the pot now.

Slamming doors is not on, and you are doing newcomers here a dis-service by recommending insulting drivers and disrespecting (yes that is the right word) what is either their property or their responsiblity.

You ask about anyone knowing of a driver using the meter.

I have posted TWICE now that I spoke with a passenger as he got out of the taxi at my condo. The meter WAS used. Baht 100 Central Pattaya to Central Jomtien. No need to ask this question again.

The market will speak as noted by some here already. Come low season we my have more success getting a metered ride, but right now it appears they are maximizing their earning potential.

Keeping on asking for the meter but please refain from slamming doors. It just ain't nice!! :o

bobbin, I still favor slamming.

They offend us by advertising they are taxi METERS and then baiting and switching by not being taxi METERS.

I never said cause damage. I say return rudeness with rudeness. Not all of us are turn the other cheek pussies, you know. Eye for an eye has alot of appeal for some of us old schoolers, don't ya know ...

Also, thanks for the second hand report about meter usage.

I did talk to a driver that said he would use his meter a number of weeks ago, but I wasn't in the market for a ride at the time.

I reject this market forces BS. There are market forces in Bangkok and they use the meters. They didn't for decades and then they were forced to. Taxis are a the type of thing that demands GOVERNMENT REGULATION. They need to be forced and regulated into doing the right thing, Given the Pattaya government is as corrupt as the transport mafia, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. So our only move as farangs is to SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY! You say don't slam the door. OK, up to you. But by all means, do not play their game.

And thanks for the support, we are on the same good side, just a slight difference of opinion on tactics.

Edited by Jingthing

Instead. Take positive action:

SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!

Are you with me or agin me?

Don't you know anything?

It's get out... leave the door open... then walk away... less effort required and much more effective... :o

Jingthing

Although you ARE sounding a touch hysterical, I suspect it is a Weho-type hysteria.....

Until you reminded me I thought it was Weho. Sure he didn't get banned and this is his spare handle?

I am not Weho. Weho is a Sizzler and Fuji chain brand man. You are more likely to find me snacking on marinated Albanian goat testicles at an underground street stall. Weho, though I love him, stresses on commercial trivialities. I am more the big picture type.

Surely Pattaya is big enough for the both of us, eh?

Leave the door open? I like it. It is now an approved Jingthing option. I don't know if I could do it. Kind of passive aggressive and I do like the feel of the slam, plus you get to test the door fit, which always gives me a testosterone rush.

There are many ways to smoke a pig.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't have a problem with out of zone surcharges as long as they are officially defined and enforced consistently,and I never said I did, 300 baht? MAFIA! It costs 800 baht to go to Bangkok!

I'm not familiar with the dark side but know that it takes about 30 min to get to Siam Country Club from South Pattaya, the driver would then most likely have to return empty. That is a one hour trip. A trip to Bangkok cost at least 800Baht and takes about 2 hours.

You say that the 800Baht to Bangkok is a fair price but 300Baht to the dark side is way to much!!!! :o

If the Bangkok price is fair 400Bath to the dark side should be fair :D

I'm not familiar with the dark side but know that it takes about 30 min to get to Siam Country Club from South Pattaya, the driver would then most likely have to return empty. That is a one hour trip. A trip to Bangkok cost at least 800Baht and takes about 2 hours.

You say that the 800Baht to Bangkok is a fair price but 300Baht to the dark side is way to much!!!! :o

Ever calculated the difference in gasoline cost between a 140 km trip and a 10 km trip? :D

Can we please keep on the subject of Pattaya Taxi meter cars rather than baht buses, except for the ownership mafia connection between the trucks and cars?

Please send in the reports.

How you SLAMMED THE DOOR AND WALKED AWAY. Be sure to make it clear the only reason you are leaving is their refusal to use the meter. Join in the fun, and make a difference for Pattaya.

Tourists too. Do your part. Expats here love the tourists, so love us back OK, and join in the SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY in crowd.

Also, do we yet have even one report of a driver here actually turning on their meter? Anyone?

I'm sorry Jingthing, but I find your slogan offensive and stupid.

Offensive because it's over the top for foreigners to act in such an aggressive way in a country where they are visitors, and stupid because you're going get some Thais angry and the mafia you harp on about may do you some harm.

CLOSE THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY should be enough. No one is forcing you to take the service and they're not cheating you because they're up front with their price.

Ever calculated the difference in gasoline cost between a 140 km trip and a 10 km trip? :D

Not sure what the cost is of the gas the Taxis use or the consumption but say 20Baht per 10km

BKK trip is 150km and cost is 800Baht (minimum)

Gas: 20x15 = 300Baht

Time: 500Baht/120min= 4.2Baht per min

Siam CC trip is 15km x 2 for the empty return trip

Gas: 20x30 = 60Baht

Time: 4.2 x 60= 252Baht

Total: 312Baht

OK, maybe 400Bath was to much but to call 300Bath MAFIA extortion is a bit much, 300Bath sounds like a very fair price.

Despite rantings from Jingthing that Bangkok taxis always use the meter, they DO NOT as many posts in this thread have said. They ask for a fixed fare whenever they have to go out of there way where they can not get a return fair or if the destination will get them into heavy traffic.

The market is speaking.

The market is not speaking. The MAFIA is speaking. You are totally naive. Bangkok taxis didn't use meters for decades and then they were FORCED to. We need to force them. Period. You aren't really getting it. The price is too high. The taxis are SITTING. This will fail the way it is now and the baht bus mafia will be happy because they don't want taxi meters in this town anyway. I am absolutely 100 percent convinced the drivers would make MORE money working and driving at a fair meter rate than they do now, and also a huge demand would be created, meaning many many more cars, many more drivers with decent jobs, and of course the PUBLIC really being SERVED.

To the defenders and rationalizers of the corrupt transport MAFIA that controls Pattaya, perhaps you ought to make it official and apply for farang public relations propagandists for their side. Others, those on the side of the public and jobs for Thais and real useful service and progress of a better Pattaya, remember SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY!

Brother made some valid arguments. I agree that a meter rate the same as Bangkok won't cut it in Pattaya.

I would say that you are the one who is "totally naive" to think that your SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY campaign will force taxi drivers to use their meters. All it will do is fuel feelings of resentment toward farang....and we don't need that.

Jingthing

Several of us have tried to have a reasonable dialogue with you. You are just stirring the pot now.

Slamming doors is not on, and you are doing newcomers here a dis-service by recommending insulting drivers and disrespecting (yes that is the right word) what is either their property or their responsiblity.

You ask about anyone knowing of a driver using the meter.

I have posted TWICE now that I spoke with a passenger as he got out of the taxi at my condo. The meter WAS used. Baht 100 Central Pattaya to Central Jomtien. No need to ask this question again.

The market will speak as noted by some here already. Come low season we my have more success getting a metered ride, but right now it appears they are maximizing their earning potential.

Keeping on asking for the meter but please refain from slamming doors. It just ain't nice!! :D

Well said Bobbin! :o

Not sure what the cost is of the gas the Taxis use or the consumption but say 20Baht per 10km

OK, maybe 400Bath was to much but to call 300Bath MAFIA extortion is a bit much, 300Bath sounds like a very fair price.

Despite rantings from Jingthing that Bangkok taxis always use the meter, they DO NOT as many posts in this thread have said. They ask for a fixed fare whenever they have to go out of there way where they can not get a return fair or if the destination will get them into heavy traffic.

500 baht for 120 minutes?You are in thailand you know.The time rate you talking about are western world rates.

I agree that in bangkok sometimes the taxi meters charge a fixed rate as you say when they think they can't get a return trip or other reasons.But have you ever been in a bangkok taxi for 30 minutes and been charged 300 baht?

You say that the 800Baht to Bangkok is a fair price but 300Baht to the dark side is way to much!!!! :D

Another calculation:

If the driver were to use his meter for the trip to Siam CC and then return to Pattaya empty he would make:

(I'm not 100% on the fare schedule used in the calculation but think it's about right)

Flag fall plus first 2km: 35Baht

Remaining 13km: 13x4.5= 58.5Baht

Fuel cost: 30x2=60Baht

Total profit=33.5Baht (for one hours work)

The drivers have to pay 1000Bath per day in rent for the taxi. Say that there are several drivers using the taxi 24hours a day. This require a profit of 42Baht per hour, the Siam CC trip, using a meter, would have resulted in a 8.5Baht LOSS for the driver. :o

Edited by ZZZ

You say that the 800Baht to Bangkok is a fair price but 300Baht to the dark side is way to much!!!! :D

But at your calculation that would make a net profit(taxi rent and gasoline paid)of 4760 baht a day multiply with 30 days is 142.800 baht.Do they still need drivers?

Another calculation:

If the driver were to use his meter for the trip to Siam CC and then return to Pattaya empty he would make:

(I'm not 100% on the fare schedule used in the calculation but think it's about right)

Flag fall plus first 2km: 35Baht

Remaining 13km: 13x4.5= 58.5Baht

Fuel cost: 30x2=60Baht

Total profit=33.5Baht (for one hours work)

The drivers have to pay 1000Bath per day in rent for the taxi. Say that there are several drivers using the taxi 24hours a day. This require a profit of 42Baht per hour, the Siam CC trip, using a meter, would have resulted in a 8.5Baht LOSS for the driver. :o

But at your calculation that would make a net profit ( taxi rent and gasoline paid) of 4760 baht a day.Multiply with 30 days is 142.800 baht a month.Do they accept farang drivers?

Edited by basjke

But at your calculation that would make a net profit ( taxi rent and gasoline paid) of 4760 baht a day.Multiply with 30 days is 142.800 baht a month.Do they accept farang drivers?

Try again, and use a calculator instead of your head :o

People have wanted taxis for years. The baht bus mafia decided to put in some taxi meters before they were forced on the city. They run them the same as baht buses and the meter is a joke. They don't answer their phone (at least not to me) so for me, they do not really exist. That is what the baht bus mafia want.

As for someone working out gas costs, don't bother. All Pattaya taxis and most of the Bangkok taxi meters are on LPG or similar so their costs are far far lower.

People have wanted taxis for years. The baht bus mafia decided to put in some taxi meters before they were forced on the city. They run them the same as baht buses and the meter is a joke. They don't answer their phone (at least not to me) so for me, they do not really exist. That is what the baht bus mafia want.

As for someone working out gas costs, don't bother. All Pattaya taxis and most of the Bangkok taxi meters are on LPG or similar so their costs are far far lower.

Someone used gas (liquid petroleum gas) prices and not gasoline prices. Gasoline is over 30Bath a litre.

What the cost is makes a huge difference, the taxi service is not a government sponsored public service it's a business venture. What I said in a previous post was that the fare schedule must be drastically changed to suite the conditions in Pattaya.

Someone used gas (liquid petroleum gas) prices and not gasoline prices. Gasoline is over 30Bath a litre.

What the cost is makes a huge difference, the taxi service is not a government sponsored public service it's a business venture. What I said in a previous post was that the fare schedule must be drastically changed to suite the conditions in Pattaya.

Gasoline is over 33 baht per litre. It even went over 34 last week but dropped slightly since.

Your calculations are pretty convincing evidence that one-way trips to the dark side are unprofitable at current meter prices. I can't see them doing telephone pickups either which would basically end up as one-way fares and possibly have the taxi held up in walking pace traffic in many areas while trying to get to their pickup locations. Telephone pickups would most likely end up making customers even more agro than the likes of Jingthing due to unavoidable traffic delays.

Maybe an extra Dark Side Zone Charge if you cross Sukhumvit or an outta town charge to go up the hill to Jomtien would help.

I regularly take a baht bus from Pratumnak Hill into Pattaya and have difficulty in finding one that is not full coming out of Jomtien so you can’t say Jomtien is equivalent to a Dark Side Zone, there’s lots of potential customers in Jomtien for return trips.

The taxis are SITTING.

I can understand why they do this Jingthing, in Viet Nam where there is not enough demand for taxis they sit outside the places where they are most likely to get passengers rather than cruise the streets burning up expensive fuel. BUT they also have ‘phone numbers and respond to calls for a pick up and at no extra charge.

I also used to regularly take a taxi from Asoke in Bangkok to Minburi (farther than Safari World but therabouts, fare on the meter was around 250 baht. Equivalent distance in Pattaya for that ride, Sri Racha Tiger Zoo? But people advocate that 300 baht to go to the Dark Side is fair?

Ok,let's use calculator and your way of calculation.

Trip to siam country and back is 30 kilometer x 2 baht/kilometer gasoline cost= 60 baht

Time 2 way is 1 hour at 1000 baht rent a day=41,66 baht

Total cost=101,66 baht

fare charge:300 baht - 101,66=198,34 baht profit an hour

multiply this with 24 hours in a day =4760,16 baht a day x 30 days = 142.804

Please correct if your calculator gives different figures.

Yes, I agree. This smells of another baht bus mafia dirty trick. They are enemies of the public. They have stolen our chance for real transport options here and have also stolen hundreds of potential legitimate Pattaya taxi meters jobs (NOT LAZY GREEDY SIT SIT SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR THE DESPERATE MAFIA DRIVERS). Something so many people want and need so badly, a real taxi meter service LIKE BANGKOK, and it is clearly not in their interest for this city to offer this kind of competition to their refuse spewing trucks. And some kiss arse Thais shit don't smell farangs want us to be polite to these mafia thieves of progress.

Some people do not like my SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY suggestion. Fine, what is your suggestion? Accept the mafia victory and offer no flak? Not good enough. Come on, go ahead, if you can come up with something better that we as farangs can actually do, speak up please.

To those who insist on defending this mafia, you have made your side clear. Maybe you should start another topic on how the baht bus mafia which owns the PHONY TAXI METERS can solidify their total monopoly and victory even more than they already have (hard to imagine but you picked your side, be men, and own up to it).

Until someone comes up with something better, please remember to: SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY

Edited by Jingthing

Ok,let's use calculator and your way of calculation.

Trip to siam country and back is 30 kilometer x 2 baht/kilometer gasoline cost= 60 baht

Time 2 way is 1 hour at 1000 baht rent a day=41,66 baht

Total cost=101,66 baht

fare charge:300 baht - 101,66=198,34 baht profit an hour

multiply this with 24 hours in a day =4760,16 baht a day x 30 days = 142.804

Please correct if your calculator gives different figures.

Sorry mate, you replied to the post where I came up with the loss when using meter, I now realize you meant to reply to my previous post.

You are correct, but would probably have to spend a substantial part of that in Red Bull to be able to work 24hrs a day :D

The reason this matters ALOT is because the baht bus mafia which owns the new taxis totally controls the transport system in Pattaya. Well, not counting the beach bus, which is managed so poorly as to be a sad joke.

For other kinds of businesses, restaurants, food markets, housing, clothes, bars, etc. we are indeed presented with a REAL free market of choices and competition. If the policies of one is greedy and evil, we choose a better one. And we constantly have that free choice. This system does keep most of these businesses on their toes, as they are always fighting for our custom, and we are not forced to use them, or have no service.

It is not a coincidence that taxi services regulation and their meter fares and required meter usage is the role of GOVERNMENT in much of the world. Here now we have the NO CHOICE of just a few taxis who do not use meters. If there was a ripoff company like the current PHONY METER MAFIA TAXIS running on the same roads as taxi company fairly using meters, we would of course choose the REAL metered taxis. But there is no such choice here. Rather there is a MAFIA ramming this extortionary NO CHOICE system down our sore throats. This is so far from a free market system that it isn't even funny.

Given how the local government is totally corrupt, doesn't care a wit about the public welfare, and sometimes is actually the same people as the local MAFIA, we can't count on any action for the public good from them. So I am led to conclude the only power we have is: SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY

Edited by Jingthing

Is anyone actually joining this clown's one man campaign or is he just making a fool of himself?

You hurt my feelings.

post-37101-1200471079_thumb.jpg

BTW, you don't have to slam to play, if you don't want to slam.

You can leave the door open (although to me that is more hostile than slamming).

You can just ask them to use the meter, say no thanks -- use the meter or forget it, and POLITELY WALK AWAY.

The key of course is for many of us to express our desire for a taxi ride, demand the meter, and BOYCOTT the taxis when they refuse to live up to their BIG SIGN on their car falsely claiming they are taxi METER cars.

You have a better idea? Speak up. As soon as someone comes up with a BETTER IDEA, and you make a convincing case for it, I wil be the first one to promote it. I also think many of us should put pressure on the English language Pattaya press to report on this PHONY METER scandal. If they received 10 letters every week bitching about this, you don't think they would eventually cover it?

Edited by Jingthing