Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

Thanks for the wish of better luck in Pattaya! We will need the luck considering the mafiosi who own the Pattaya taxi meters.

So, not one report of someone in Pattaya who has actually taken one of these Pattaya taxis with meters, maybe with meters?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving today down Naklua Road and near the school on the right (heading back towards Pattaya - there is a sort of zebra crossing and the police help the kids at chuck out time). Well, at about 10:30am there were 2 of these taxis parked up on the right. From a fleeting glance, I could not make out a "taxi meter" sign on the roof appendage (they had the white plastic but I could not read or see any lettering to be illuminated).

As I have to go to Naklua quite frequently I will stop and ask when I have more time as it would be good to get a story in the Pattaya Mail about them not being available or only on rip off surcharges or airport runs etc.

Or equally that they are charging Bt35 and patrolling the streets !

Edited by torrenova

Trying to think out of the box on this one:

The collective (the Borg surely !) know we hate them. They know we want real taxis. They also want to rip us off for more cash and raise the fares. They were also heavily scrutinised on their meagre "official" earnings last year. We know that they do not want to change things.

So what angle do you take ? You can introduce these really efficient taxis on LPG or whatever but you don't really want them to succeed do you ? No. So perhaps you trial them and then withdraw them ?

What about the lucrative airport runs ? Well at the moment, a lot of them are done by people working as illegal private hire taxis or Bangkok taxis who have already received a fare for coming here and are waiting for any compensation to fund their trip back.

So if you can eliminate this service and force people to use official cars for their airport runs then you have a winner I see. You can even combine the 2 arguments and say that people prefer baht buses for short runs but prefer the taxis for the airport trips. Thus taxis are introduced but not for the baht bus routes. Those squeezed are the Bangkok taxis and the local guys working illegally.

Last night, while leaving my condo, a yellow Pattaya taxi pulled up with 2 passengers. I asked them if the meter had been used and they replied that it had been used. They hailed the taxi from the road in central Pattaya.

The trip to the further (but not farthest) part of Jomtien cost 100 baht. The passengers explained that usually they took the song-thaew to a point on Jomtien Beach Road and continued with motorcycle taxis to the condo, as the baht-bus go up our road infrequently. This arrangement costs baht-bus 10 baht x2 = 20 baht and motorcycle 10 baht x 2 =20 baht for total of 40 baht.

They said that the extra 60 baht was well worth it for the extra comfort , quiet and convenience..

So things look good!

Hope they make money and we see more of them!!

Last night, while leaving my condo, a yellow Pattaya taxi pulled up with 2 passengers. I asked them if the meter had been used and they replied that it had been used. They hailed the taxi from the road in central Pattaya.

The trip to the further (but not farthest) part of Jomtien cost 100 baht. The passengers explained that usually they took the song-thaew to a point on Jomtien Beach Road and continued with motorcycle taxis to the condo, as the baht-bus go up our road infrequently. This arrangement costs baht-bus 10 baht x2 = 20 baht and motorcycle 10 baht x 2 =20 baht for total of 40 baht.

They said that the extra 60 baht was well worth it for the extra comfort , quiet and convenience..

So things look good!

Truly excellent news. Here's hoping that this will be a normal, alternative transportation mode from now on.

It's strange that for a service allegedly in such demand, it took almost 9 days before we had a TV'er confirm a meter used, a decent price paid and on a route frequently touted as under served by baht buses.

As meter taxis are spotted in Pattaya, please report if they're operating on Chonburi or Bangkok license plates.

I saw a couple more today, one parked outside Sabai Land (off hire?) and the other toddling along 2nd road with the red Thai led sign (for hire?) turned on in the front window. Both had red plates since they are all new cars according to the news article.

What's the significance of where the plates come from? My red plates are from Samutprakhan but I didn't buy it there.

As meter taxis are spotted in Pattaya, please report if they're operating on Chonburi or Bangkok license plates.

I saw a couple more today, one parked outside Sabai Land (off hire?) and the other toddling along 2nd road with the red Thai led sign (for hire?) turned on in the front window. Both had red plates since they are all new cars according to the news article.

What's the significance of where the plates come from? My red plates are from Samutprakhan but I didn't buy it there.

Makes it possible to separate out the ones doing airport runs from BKK.

So things look good!

Great news that they are sticking to the meter. However, you can do a lot of mileage for Bt100 if you are on the same tarrif as Bangkok. To me, I think you'd get a lot further than Jomtien from Pattaya Klang but it might just be a Bangkok illusion as you're always stuck in traffic.

I wonder what their call out tarrif is for those of us living past Sukhumvit.

Makes it possible to separate out the ones doing airport runs from BKK.

Not if they bought the new taxi Toyotas from a dealer in Samutprakhan it doesn't.

The ones from Bangkok are not all-over yellow but are usually yellow & green. The Pattaya ones have an all-over yellow cab.

OMG! Now wouldn't THAT be a perfect scenario.... "Pattaya Yellow Cabs" ???!!! Guaranteed to get Jingthing all slippery in the fork.

From what I hear they are hard to find, and no one answers the phone listed. Not a very good start for the humble yellow pattaya taxi.

Its a start if they are using the meters. Now multiply the number of cars by at least 10 and then you might have something.

If using the taxis and if they do not use the meters, we need a place to complain to, like they now have in Chiang Mai. With consequences to the drivers, this CAN be enforced.

Edited by Jingthing

Two points to make, at least.

Having just returned from BKK in an all-pink taxi, I must also report that there are, in BKK, all-yellow taxis. Not just the old green/yellow and red/blue taxis, but now it is a rainbow coalition of new vehicles. So you may get an all-yellow cab, think that it is a Pattaya dream, but it's still a BKK nightmare.

Also, we are here considering almost exclusively the expat rider. The local population that make up the vast majority oif the baht-bus clintele will still use the cheapest form of practical transport.

Another thought - won't most of these Pattaya taxis (if they really exist) line up outside the big hotels and arrange with the doorman to skim the cream of the tourists? I would, if I were driving a taxi. fuc_k driving around the streets of Pattaya looking for fares.

Saw 2 yellow Pattaya taxis on stand at Bali Hi pier. Had fares and gone before I could get to them.

Later, around 6pm, one went up Walking street.

Can't wait to actually use one.

kdf

This could become a "spot the yellow taxi" thread.

Wow...I spotted 3 in one short stretch of road up Pratumnak Hill.

off topic, but the plates should be issued in the province where the car is bought. The Honda dealer in Pattaya does not always stick to that practice... :o

off topic, but the plates should be issued in the province where the car is bought. The Honda dealer in Pattaya does not always stick to that practice... :o

I guess the red plates could also go on at the factory, port or manufacturers stockyard before it's driven to the selling dealership. As long as the red book in the glovebox matches the plates (and is kept current), the province of issue is irrelevant.

Back on topic. They should be easy to differentiate from the odd all-yellow Bnagkok taxi. Pattaya yellow cabs have 'Pattaya Taxi' on the doors whereas the Bangkok ones will only have the rego number, same as the plates front/back. Needless to say, heaven forbid that any Bangkok taxi driver chance his mitt with a local fare just because his cab is yellow. The farang maybe won't notice but sure as Don Bradman played cricket, every baht bus and motocycle taxi within sight will!

Well I have to say the "pig is still on the ground"!!! :o

I telephoned the number listed earlier. Got speaking to a Thai who understood English and he was quite clear that all that was on his mind was a trip to Bangkok....despite the fact I wanted a car to take me from my home to somewhere in Pattaya.

So from my perspective the fantasy is just that...a fantasy!

Oh well what will we fantasise about next?

:D begs

I telephoned the number listed earlier. Got speaking to a Thai who understood English and he was quite clear that all that was on his mind was a trip to Bangkok....despite the fact I wanted a car to take me from my home to somewhere in Pattaya.

That is so revolting!

There are so many OTHER, better, cheaper options to go to Bangkok. There have been for years! Pattaya "press" get off your keisters! How many ways can you spell

CORRUPTION

MAFIA

MONOPOLY

They own the taxi service and they are not providing a taxi service. This seals the deal on their total control of the baht bus charter system. Who loses? The people and visitors to Pattaya! I am pissed and I don't mean drunk Brit dudes.

Please BOYCOTT the Pattaya taxis to go to Bangkok. They charge more than double the Bangkok taxis. Plus, if you want an excellent private service at a great price, try MR TOOMS TAXI SERVICE, great for trips to Bangkok and the airport:

Edited by Jingthing

Please BOYCOTT the Pattaya taxis to go to Bangkok. They charge more than double the Bangkok taxis. Plus, if you want an excellent private service at a great price, try MR TOOMS TAXI SERVICE, great for trips to Bangkok and the airport:

At 2000 for the trip no requests to Boycott will be necessary.

That is so revolting!

There are so many OTHER, better, cheaper options to go to Bangkok. There have been for years! Pattaya "press" get off your keisters! How many ways can you spell

CORRUPTION

MAFIA

MONOPOLY

They own the taxi service and they are not providing a taxi service. This seals the deal on their total control of the baht bus charter system. Who loses? The people and visitors to Pattaya! I am pissed and I don't mean drunk Brit dudes.

The first and only time I booked MR Toom for an airport transfer he never turned up and only after making a phone call did his lady driver appear. There are many cheap taxi options to the airport including Nova Lodge Tours on Beach Road outside the Nova Lodge hotel 1300 baht including tolls.