Need Help With Website Of Hong Kong Exchange

I've spent over an hour trying to figure out how one can follow a stock's price movement during the trading day on the Hong Kong stock exchange but I could find nothing on their website, www.hkex.com.hk. It's quite urgent, because I plan to place an order with my Swiss broker within the next four hours to buy a stock at the open tomorrow and depending on how the price moves I may want to sell it again during the same day, then spend the profits on a vacation in Thailand.

Is anybody familiar with that site and can tell me where to click?

--

Maestro

it wouldn't be petrochina you're interested in?

i trade hk stocks through etrade and must refresh the quotes regularly as they are not set up for streaming quotes yet.

i only use hkex to find out lot sizes for stock purchases ad ipo news.

these 3 sites are what i follow for hk stocks,recommendations,tips,etc.one can pay to get streaming quotes but my hk stocks are all buy and holds and only actively trade us stocks.

http://www.newone.com.hk/eng/default.asp

http://www.finet.hk/mainsite/index.htm

http://www.aastocks.com/eng/default.asp

it wouldn't be petrochina you're interested in?

Alibaba.com, <01688>, first trading day 6 November.

Thank you both for your replies. I didn’t realise that I can use E*Trade to trade stocks on the Hong Kong Exchange (HKE). This stock is also trading on the New York OTC exchange but Hong Kong opens 13 hours earlier and I want to get in at the very start, ie in Hong Kong.

Actually, I would not be able to sell shortly after buying anyway. Trading on HKE starts at 10 am Hong Kong time (HKT), my broker in Switzerland won’t be at his desk before 3 pm HKT. Well, never mind, my buy order is in now.

--

Maestro

I missed out at the open in Hong Kong. Because my Swiss broker did not accept an order to buy at market I placed a limit order for alibaba.com (1688) at HKD 16.90, which is 25% higher than the IPO issue price of HKD 13.50. However, the stock opened at HKD 30, with a low of HKD 28 so far today and a high of 36.

…i trade hk stocks through etrade…

Just now, I have found the invormation on the E*Trade help site how to use my E*Trade account to buy stocks on the Hong Kong Exchange (HKE).

post-21260-1194333545_thumb.jpg

According to these instructions, I would have to write HK:1688 in the field for the stock symbol in the order window, or perhaps HK:01688, but neither symbol works. Obviously, I am doing something wrong and I will call them today so that I may not miss other opportunities at HKE in the future.

post-21260-1194334286_thumb.jpg

Also with E*Trade, I will have to give a limit order for a trade at KKE but at least I can react immediately and change the limit price if necessary.

--

Maestro

Thanks, Samran. I should have thought of it myself, even have a link to it on my Firefox bookmarks toolbar, but so far used it only for charts of US stocks. Didn’t realize it can be used also for stocks traded in other countries but there it is:

post-21260-1194337156_thumb.jpg

I like their charting tools.

--

Maestro