Thai Airways Emergency!

Mobi

I'm by no means an expert, by my 2 cents....

The air conditioning system is usually part of the pressurization system. Hot pressurized air off the compressors is routed through a heat exchanger to cool it before it enters the cabin. If the air temperature can't be controlled, the valve that controls how much air bypasses the exchanger probably failed. Since the air entering the cabin was hot it was probably still pressurized. We still don't know what type of plane it was or what their emergency procedures are, but manually dumping the cabin pressure and doing an emergency descent would be a good solution. Of course you would deploy the O2 masks first. The O2 masks failing during a sudden depressurization would be deadly since you only have a few seconds of useful consciousness above 25,000ft.

No matter what exactly happened hats off to the pilots for a safe landing.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary indeed being in any aircraft that has a problem and glad to here everyone ok.

On a lighter note "you only have a few seconds of useful consciousness above 25,000ft" eh quite a few of the worlds highest mountains are over 25,000ft and take more than a few seconds to get to the top above 25,000ft.

Hope the O2 works for the Thai team on Everest just now, think they're going for the summit tomorrow.

omg....Thank you for reminding me why I don't usually post on here...Idiots like you that go on about something they know absolutely nothing about and don't do their research first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Useful_Consciousness

The table shows 3 to 5 mins between FL250 and FL280. Above FL400, it decreases to 30 seconds. Don't forget the note under the table that says "A rapid decompression can reduce the TUC by up to 50 percent caused by the forced exhalation of the lungs during decompression and the extremely rapid rate of ascent."

When you combine the times in the table (reduced by 50%) with the panic and instant -55C temperatures, you really only have seconds of clear thinking to put your mask on.

There's a big difference between a rapid depressurization on an airplane and slowly getting yourself used to a lack of oxygen over a few days while climbing a mountain. If I'm not mistaken, climbers on Everest even alternate between ascending and descending to help their bodies adjust.

Maybe you should start your own thread about using your cell phone while climbing Everest and how many cell towers you can get a signal from. That might be more up your alley...

Ah, we're splitting hairs here....3 seconds or 10 or 30- the point is, the pilot was able to safely land the aircraft, there were no injuries, and a friend of ours, Jai Dee who was on the flight, is still with us.

For that I am thankful.

I thought cabin pressurization was independent of air-conditioning... shows how much I know about that :o

BTW a similar problem happened in the US - a private jet carrying golfer Payne Stewart lost pressurization and the occupants of the aircraft died of hypoxia.

The Helios flight was a pressurization problem. It was the crew who confused it with an airconditioning problem. They to died of hypoxia before freezing to death and crashing when the plane ran out of fuel.

It pays to fly on good airlines with well trained crew. An airconditioning or envoronmental control problem as is not the same as losing pressurization. It can however be confused with this as happened on the Helios flight. There are documented similar incidents of this happening on other airlines but the symptoms were recognised by the crew.

Loss of pressurization is an emergency. Well done to the Thai Airways crew for getting everybody down safely.

Edited by maprao

I'm by no means an expert, by my 2 cents....

The air conditioning system is usually part of the pressurization system. Hot pressurized air off the compressors is routed through a heat exchanger to cool it before it enters the cabin. If the air temperature can't be controlled, the valve that controls how much air bypasses the exchanger probably failed. Since the air entering the cabin was hot it was probably still pressurized. We still don't know what type of plane it was or what their emergency procedures are, but manually dumping the cabin pressure and doing an emergency descent would be a good solution. Of course you would deploy the O2 masks first. The O2 masks failing during a sudden depressurization would be deadly since you only have a few seconds of useful consciousness above 25,000ft.

Going by your reference, even allowing for a 50% reduction due to rapid decompression you've got at least a minute at 25,000 ft. There a big difference between a minute or even 30 seconds to "a few seconds" when it comes to putting on an oxygen mask.

For a moment I thought I would delete all posts about mobile phones and other off-topic posts, which would reduce this topic probably to about 3.7% of its current size but then I said to myself it would be pity if Jai Dee could not see this thread as it is now. He deserves a good laugh after the scary experience he has had.

Actually, why doesn’t somebody start a new topic on mobile phone use on flights, in an appropriate forum, rather than continue this discussion here?

--

Maestro

For a moment I thought I would delete all posts about mobile phones and other off-topic posts, which would reduce this topic probably to about 3.7% of its current size but then I said to myself it would be pity if Jai Dee could not see this thread as it is now. He deserves a good laugh after the scary experience he has had.

Actually, why doesn’t somebody start a new topic on mobile phone use on flights, in an appropriate forum, rather than continue this discussion here?--

Maestro

Nooooooooooooooo! I can't stand yet another thread on the subject with all the pseudo-engineers coming out of the woodwork.

Thai Airways plane makes emergency landing

BANGKOK, Thailand -- A Thai Airways plane flying from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur made an emergency landing Tuesday after passengers complained they were hot and the pilot realized the air conditioning had stopped working, an airport official said.

Flight TG415, which left the Thai capital at 9 a.m. local time, landed in the southern Thai city of Hat Yai an hour after takeoff, said Wicha Noenlop, director of the Hat Yai airport.

The temperature inside the cabin had become uncomfortably warm and the pilot decided to land rather than continuing with the flight for another hour, he said.

None of the 287 passengers aboard the flight were injured, Wicha said.

- Associated Press

===============================================================================

Was Jai Dee one of the passengers that "caused" the emergency landing??? :D

*of course, we can only diss him AFTER knowing he and all others are safe* :D

Take care, Jai Dee :o

Unfortunately mobiles dont interfere with avionics - big misnomer.

Just think about 9/11 when EVERYONE was using a cell on the plane before it crash into the corn field.

Even the highjackers were on the phone...which goes to prove you should not use your mobiles while flying.

TG 415 from Bkk to KL emergency landing at Hat Yai. Plane de pressurised at cruising altitude, oxygen did not work, forcing emergency landing.

Jai Dee.

11.20 am

I hope he's All right.

Anyone have any news?

Hope you and family are OK Jai Dee.

After a very hairy flight with Thai air in 1992 I said then I would never get on one of their aircraft again I will swim first

"Unfortunately mobiles dont interfere with avionics - big misnomer."

Don't you mean FORTUNATELY? Too, "misnomer" refers to a name. Referring to a skinny person as "fatso" would be a big misnomer. Perhaps "misinformation" is what you wanted to articulate.

"Unfortunately mobiles dont interfere with avionics - big misnomer."

Don't you mean FORTUNATELY? Too, "misnomer" refers to a name. Referring to a skinny person as "fatso" would be a big misnomer. Perhaps "misinformation" is what you wanted to articulate.

A misnomer is a term which suggests an interpretation that is known to be untrue. :o

BANGKOK, Thailand -- A Thai Airways plane flying from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur made an emergency landing Tuesday after passengers complained they were hot and the pilot realized the air conditioning had stopped working, an airport official said.

Flight TG415, which left the Thai capital at 9 a.m. local time, landed in the southern Thai city of Hat Yai an hour after takeoff, said Wicha Noenlop, director of the Hat Yai airport.

The temperature inside the cabin had become uncomfortably warm and the pilot decided to land rather than continuing with the flight for another hour, he said.

- Associated Press

Bit of a non story realy then, the air-con stopped working so the pilot landed the plane at a closer airport than scheduled.

The usual thaivisa drama queen style thread.

Yes, assuming that this report is the true, unexpurgated version of what actually happened. It would certainly not be the first time that Thai Airways and their cohorts had denied a serious emergency.

I doubt if Jai Dee would have sent an sms to one and all if it had not been pretty scary. He is certainly not a drama Queen, in fact I would say the opposite.

Let's see what he has to say.

I doubt if Jai Dee would have sent an sms to one and all if it had not been pretty scary. He is certainly not a drama Queen, in fact I would say the opposite.

Let's see what he has to say.

I never said he was a drama Queen, the title of the thread reads 'Message just received from Jai Dee who is on board' which implies that it was an ongoing situation and he is still on board the plane and the message had been sent mid-flight. This is why the thread is full of comments about using mobile phones while on the plane.

In reality his message read TG 415 from Bkk to KL emergency landing at Hat Yai. Plane de pressurised at cruising altitude, oxygen did not work, forcing emergency landing. Which clearly means the plane was on the tarmac already and they had safely landed.

Can we STOP talking about mobile phones and other meta-drivel please??? Honestly, take it to airliners.net and have another Chang.

Thank you.

Now, for the remaining 3.7% of posters: This is really intriguing, the difference between a Bangkok Post article (no I don't want to debate Thai newspaper quality) and JaiDee's message which CLEARLY mentions depressurization and oxygin BEING DEPLOYED (and not working, though I guess that part can be debated later.)

Now, IF oxygen deployed THEN there was a pressurization issue, simple as that, not merely "some passengers feeling a bit balmy so we stopped in Had Yai"

Why is BKK post lying? Or is TG lying?

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

The message as bolded in the prior post does not necessarily mean the plane had already landed. Besides, who gets their participles perfectly correct while sending an SMS during an emergency?

It dosen´t really matter if he had landed or not. You can actully use your mobilephone on a aircaft in air withhout inteferring with other systems on the aircraft. People who claim otherwise are not in the aerospace business or just missinformed. For example; there are several airlines that allow mobileuse during flights. Ryan air is one exemple, for january 2008 you will be able to use you mobile on the flight. Infact EASA (European aviation safety agency) came to the conclution earlier this year that there no threats to safety by use mobile during a flight. In a few years you will be able to use you mobile on all flights. The one things is that there have to be a base station installed on each idividual craft.

Interesting about all the talk about mobile phones being safe. I agree with most of it if your talking about a modern day fully functional unit ... but not with an older style one expecially if it is defective. A few years back a work college had a "sort of functional" mobile. It used to chew up batteies real bad and emmitted quite an interferance to:

1: Car Radio - it started humming in and out whilst using it in a car and you would know it was going to ring before it rang by the static that came trough the car radio.

2: Placing it on the desk near a computer and the screen would flicker when a incoming call came and some minor interferance visable occasionally when in use.

3: He developed a rash like skin condition on the side of his face checked out but never proven to be caused by the mobile but strangely after changing phones never to return.

The phone was checked a few times and deemed opperational but in the end it was found that water damage ( or moisture) had corroded some of the circiuts or the board something like that.

Believe it or not but true story.

So even if all mobiles that have been tested for this scenario have come up ok . I still would rather have them banned than take the risk on what a defective one could possibly do.

Unfortunately mobiles dont interfere with avionics - big misnomer.

:o Not quite true, but more and more true today. With older avionics systems, and aircraft not properly shielded againt EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) it might have once been a problem. Today with mostly digital equipment and strict shielding requirements on cable and wiring in modern planes the chance of EMI is minimum. Just a hangover law from past times that probably doesn't apply any longer. The older 800 Mhz mobile phones also caused the most problems, not the more modern and higher frequency mobiles.

I don't recall there being an exception for the use of mobile phones in-flight in an emergency.

If the use of mobile phones in-flight can indeed interfere with the flight control and navigation systems (and I'm not saying they do) is it not somewhat irresponsible to use a mobile phone at a time when the pilots will be placing heavy demand on those same control and navigation systems to effect a safe landing, the successful completion of which may well depend on the correct functioning of those very same systems.

Jai Dee, I hope as much as anyone that it has turned out ok, but a plane load of passengers using their mobile phones may not improve the pilot's chances.

With the advent of the glass cockpit (as far back as 1979) design criteria called HIRF (High Intensity Radio Frequency) EMI protection is required by regulation and prevents any interference from various radio frequency propegating devices. Cell phones do not impinge on the protection designed into modern aircraft systems. Cell phone usage is an airline policy in most countries rather than an airworthiness rule.

It may be that people don't realize the regulation was created when mobile phones were first publicly available in the 80s - remember the Motorola brick phone? That probably had many times more capability of interfering with aircraft communications than today's mobile phones. Those phones were essentially built to military standards - and they could've cared less about whose communications they were trampling on.

Enough already. I want to hear Jai Dee's version of events.

- Associated Press

Bit of a non story realy then, the air-con stopped working so the pilot landed the plane at a closer airport than scheduled.

I agree, bet it was all the farang that were whinging ! Edited by mikethevigoman

I don't recall there being an exception for the use of mobile phones in-flight in an emergency.

If the use of mobile phones in-flight can indeed interfere with the flight control and navigation systems (and I'm not saying they do) is it not somewhat irresponsible to use a mobile phone at a time when the pilots will be placing heavy demand on those same control and navigation systems to effect a safe landing, the successful completion of which may well depend on the correct functioning of those very same systems.

Jai Dee, I hope as much as anyone that it has turned out ok, but a plane load of passengers using their mobile phones may not improve the pilot's chances.

With the advent of the glass cockpit (as far back as 1979) design criteria called HIRF (High Intensity Radio Frequency) EMI protection is required by regulation and prevents any interference from various radio frequency propegating devices. Cell phones do not impinge on the protection designed into modern aircraft systems. Cell phone usage is an airline policy in most countries rather than an airworthiness rule.

I would think its to stop what would probably be a load of noise and people shouting,.protecting us from ourselves again !

- Associated Press

I agree, bet it was all the farang that were whinging !

And I'll bet the air-con bit from the airport official is a lie.

Wouldn't the cabin get cold at high altitude if ventilation stopped working?