Hydroponic Farming

MudDoc

Hello Scoop1, the new system look like it's working very well! What are your O/S temp's? and hours of sunlight?

I mixed up a new batch of nutes and been giving 1/4 strength to my few seedlings, got to check what verity they

are, last of last years seed.

Keep putting up pic's!

rice555

Hi all, just thought I would post some updated pics on the progress of my Double Truss Tomato Nutrient Research, I have raised the EC to 3.0 and the Ph. remains the same as the previous posting, all of the 1st trusses have good fruit set, light levels are very high as usual, 1800 micro moles per square metre per one second, and you will notice the plants defence against such high light levels in a separate pic.

Cheers

Scoop

attachicon.gifTomatoe a.jpg

attachicon.gifTomato f.jpg

attachicon.gifTomatoe b.jpg

attachicon.gifTomatoe c.jpg

attachicon.gifTomato e.jpg

Hi all, rice 555, its not a new system, I built it several years ago just to see how much this particular heirloom could produce without any imperfections and misshapen fruit that heirloom tomatoes suffer from, but the double truss system that I use produce large tomatoes and I don't get any imperfections, temperatures at the moment average about 26 degrees { day } and about 12 degrees { night } the plants receive 7.5 hours of full sun per day and peak light levels are 1800 micro moles per square metre per 1 second at 1.30 pm, almost three times more than what the plant needs, I will post updated photos and nutritional information every two weeks, I will also be very interested to trial and get some data on hydroponic corn, and I will post that info as well.

Cheers

Scoop

Hello, small update from system.

Unfortunately no pictures today.

Horapha Basil: Doing very well, growth is fast. First set almost ready to harvest.

Kraphao Basil: Slower growth, maybe half of Horapha. But looks healthy.

Mint cuttings: Good growth. Put them in a double stack of foam grow cubes. All rooted and have double size now.

But they need support with wooden sticks or similar.

Marigold: Doing well, tested several varieties. All good.

Some plants need support as well.

Celery: Now almost two weeks since seeding date. Still in the nursery tray but looks good and 100% germination.

Salad: My Thai students harvested last week. I think a little too early but possible.

They use it for ready to eat salad not for the head.

Just curious story about that, when I asked them if they prepared some seedlings already because now the system will be empty for around two weeks.

They just didn't think about it! Even they are students their mindset

sometimes simple...

Looking forward to grow Italian Basil and another try of Cilantro. I ordered the seeds already.

Edited by CLW

Hi all, CLW, that's funny, you will have to teach them a little about "crop turning" its an art in itself and takes a fair bit of data collection to get the timing right, can you tell me what is nutrient that you are using, and are you only using the same for everything? and what the analysis is on the packaging, I would like to put the ruler through it and see how it aims up with the plants you are growing.

I have not grown that type of Basil, but if it is like Sweet Genevieve, you should use a nutrient that will excel with that plant and when you find out about the fertilisers I will send you some nutrient data to help them, hopefully achieve a better result.

Cheers

Scoop

Good morning all, for those who are growing corn and maybe interested in its nutritional needs, I am doing some nutritional research on one corn plant grown hydroponically in a 20 litre plastic bucket, drip fed via four adjustable drippers, the supply tank is 30 litres and is being fed a vegetative nutrient with slightly elevated Magnesium level, the approximate starting nutrient analysis is as follows,

N = 209PPM

P = 65

K = 186

Mn = 70

Ca = 223

Micros elements are as standard

EC = 2.1

Ph. = 5.5 / 6.5

Nh4 = 5.3%

The growth rate will be monitored via the PVC pipe that will be used to support the plant, each marked division is 100mm, towards the fruiting stage I will have a thorough laboratory analysis done and that will give an accurate elemental uptake of the plants needs and I will update the photos and other relevant information, it would be great to have someone that is growing some corn to have a plant of a similar size growing in soil to get a comparison of the different growth rates. the seed was put in on the 29/9/2015 and the cultivar that I am using is called "Golden Bantam" an heirloom variety

This is the first pic

post-135220-0-42729700-1446504793_thumb.

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

... can you tell me what is nutrient that you are using, and are you only using the same for everything? and what the analysis is on the packaging, I would like to put the ruler through it and see how it aims up with the plants you are growing.

I have not grown that type of Basil, but if it is like Sweet Genevieve, you should use a nutrient that will excel with that plant and when you find out about the fertilisers I will send you some nutrient data to help them, hopefully achieve a better result.

Cheers

Scoop

Hello,

Unfortunately the the description on the packaging of the nutrient solution only contains the nutrients itself and says dissolve in 20 litres and add to your desired EC.

Ah yes, and it's for leafy vegetables. So right now I'm using this solution for all plants (including the Marigold which is just for fun).

But luckily the nutrient solution is almost finished and I have the permission to mix my own.

So if you have some recipes you're welcome to post here or send me PM.

Another good news, I was assigned to be the Project Head / Manager of the greenhouse. So starting with next year I can decide how and what to grow [emoji4]

Here are the latest pictures.

Looks a bit messy as the Marigold and some Basil actually need some support but I didn't have time to do it.

Mint is growing so fast.

post-215911-14468227841949_thumb.jpgpost-215911-14468227972863_thumb.jpg

One of the good Marigold, still erected

post-215911-14468228324727_thumb.jpg

Latest growing table. Interesting to see the difference between the Horapha Basil on the right and Kraphao on the left.

They were both sown on the same date.

post-215911-14468229232975_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the latest pictures.

Looks a bit messy as the Marigold and some Basil actually need some support but I didn't have time to do it.

Mint is growing so fast.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151106_35261.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20151106_22194.jpg

One of the good Marigold, still erected

attachicon.gifIMG_20151106_48365.jpg

Latest growing table. Interesting to see the difference between the Horapha Basil on the right and Kraphao on the left.

They were both sown on the same date.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151106_56966.jpg

Hi all, CLW , that all looks good, let me know when you have the fertiliser salts and what the elemental percentages are and I will get on to it

Cheers

Scoop

Good morning all, for those who are growing corn and maybe interested in its nutritional needs, I am doing some nutritional research on one corn plant grown hydroponically in a 20 litre plastic bucket, drip fed via four adjustable drippers, the supply tank is 30 litres and is being fed a vegetative nutrient with slightly elevated Magnesium level, the approximate starting nutrient analysis is as follows,

N = 209PPM

P = 65

K = 186

Mn = 70

Ca = 223

EC = 2.1

Ph. = 5.5 / 6.5

Nh4 = 5.3%

The growth rate will be monitored via the PVC pipe that will be used to support the plant, each marked division is 100mm, towards the fruiting stage I will have a thorough laboratory analysis done and that will give an accurate elemental uptake of the plants needs and I will update the photos and other relevant information, it would be great to have someone that is growing some corn to have a plant of a similar size growing in soil to get a comparison of the different growth rates. the seed was put in on the 29/9/2015 and the cultivar that I am using is called "Golden Bantam" an heirloom variety

This is the first pic

attachicon.gifCorn1.jpg

Cheers

Scoop

Hi all, here is a pic of the growth rate of the corn five days after the first posting, the weather has been poor with low light levels and 60 ml of rain, but I am pretty happy with growth rate which is about 100 mm per day, light levels have averaged 437 micromoles per square metre per one second { very low }and the EC has remained stable at EC 2.0 and the Ph. has also been stable at Ph.5.8, I don't know what growth rate is achieved in soil but so far it seems acceptable grown hydroponically.

post-135220-0-56718900-1446948800_thumb.

post-135220-0-02811800-1446948567_thumb.

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

Hello All

N = 209PPM

P = 65

K = 186

Mn = 70

Ca = 223

EC = 2.1H

Ph. = 5.5 / 6.5

Nh4 = 5.3%

This is the first pic

attachicon.gifCorn1.jpg

Cheers

Scoop

Hello All, Scoop send me the formula, I'm trying to get some corn planted, can do a bucket or two along side the grow.

The weather around here is not good for working in the dirt, this was Korat by me yesterday.

Also thing about melon nutes too Scoop if you got your calculator handy??

rice555

post-37242-0-00693000-1446970788_thumb.j

Hello All

N = 209PPM

P = 65

K = 186

Mn = 70

Ca = 223

EC = 2.1H

Ph. = 5.5 / 6.5

Nh4 = 5.3%

This is the first pic

attachicon.gifCorn1.jpg

Cheers

Scoop

Hello All, Scoop send me the formula, I'm trying to get some corn planted, can do a bucket or two along side the grow.

The weather around here is not good for working in the dirt, this was Korat by me yesterday.

Also thing about melon nutes too Scoop if you got your calculator handy??

rice555

Hi all, rice555, I will PM the Melon Nutrient to you but with the corn, I am not sure about it because I have only just started it and have not analysed it yet, so I am not sure what the result might be, but if it does not work on the corn you will be able to use it for all your seedlings as a vegetative mix, so no problem, but be prepared to change things along the way, but that's the wonderful world of plant nutrition.

Cheers

Scoop

Thanks Rice555

Been raining cats and dogs down here Too .... I will post more pics as I go.. greenhouse was second hand ... but I might be putting another one up later on.. easy to build out of 1.1/2 inch galvanised gas line ... and some samler 1.1/4 inch.. you just need to find a shop with a pipe bender and a welder .. it was originally from China thai but when I contacted them about buying a new plastic covering they told me they don't sell replacements and I had to go find the plastic my self ... this is enough for me not to recommend them, and people should make there own ... for a fraction of the price..

Cheers S.J.C

Hi all, just thought I would update the tomato situation, the weather has been pitiful with some sunlight { very little } rain and 90% humidity, I have raised the EC 3.0 and the Ph. remains the same after one day of normal light conditions that EC climbed to EC 3.8 so I increased the drip rate to lower it to near normal levels. so the reason I grow this double truss system is being hampered by that type of weather, firstly , all the growing tips were removed 2 weeks ago and all the first trusses have had good pollination and good fruit set { in favourable weather } , unfortunately the 2nd trusses were pollinated and set fruit in extremely wet humid conditions so I have suffered some blossom end scars, and misshapen fruit on those second trusses, normally the trusses would enlarge very quickly after the growing tip has been removed compared to the same plant being growing indeterminately, but that has been slowed dramatically because of those weather conditions, the problem is that all the assimilates that are produced during the day by the leaves wont sink into the fruit because the day night temperature differentials { Diffs } are not adequate enough for assimilate transport and to explain how that works, on a hot day the leaves and the fruit heat up to the daytime temperatures and during the night those temperatures hopefully drop { 6- 10 degrees would be great } and the leaf being the smaller mass cools down faster than the fruit which is the larger mass, hence most of the assimilates then will flow into the fruit and they enlarge very quickly { the assimilates are being restricted from being dragged into the fruit , and when this happens the plant will have excessive vegetative growth habits, and because I take out any new growth it builds up and sometimes weird growth occurs.

Cheers

Scoop

post-135220-0-18062200-1447467402_thumb.

This truss should be larger by half at this stage of growth

post-135220-0-69089900-1447467474_thumb.

Blossom end scaring caused by poor pollination and fruit set

post-135220-0-86852100-1447467560_thumb.

Excessive vegetative growth caused by assimilate transport restrictions

Cheers

Scoop

Edited by Scoop1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello SJS, you've been a busy boy, is this a one person OP or is there a third hand?

Is the GH a per-fab or built up locally? Keep the pic's coming.

rice555

Hello All, SJS I've been looking at this place to get my roof pieces, they also have wider ones, I go

by this place and a fab shop shop that can bend 6" pipe to and from downtown Korat.

There are several adds in the Thai Ag Magazines for poly coverings and insect netting, and wiggle

wire, you can find snap channel if you look hard.

rice555

post-37242-0-35473100-1448727507_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, I'm behind a few months because the weather and just lazy.

Anyway, got a few verities going and Scoop1's new formula is better than

the old one! I'm using the Bloom Nutes at EC2.1 and is working great.

Scoop1, got the nutes for the cantaloupe made and started using monday,

using EC2.4.

Everything still needs to be moved in place for growing, taking the starting

cover down for room and the the tom's are Ind. need to be strung up and

clipped. The tom's are from saved seeds from last years crop.

Pink Berkley Tie Dye and Indigo Apple. Some Serrano and Ancho's.

Eggplants and just transplanted cantaloupe.

rice555

post-37242-0-67874600-1450197828_thumb.j

post-37242-0-17857400-1450197865_thumb.j

post-37242-0-05707900-1450197913_thumb.j

post-37242-0-09299300-1450198068_thumb.j

post-37242-0-28494300-1450198106_thumb.p

post-37242-0-80855800-1450198147_thumb.p

• Like 1

Rice,

Are you pinching out your new seedlings to force more branching on both the pepper and egg plants?

No, thats all the plant,not me doing anything but feeding them. The serrano's are Devil Hyb., the ancho's

are Master Hyb. and the egg's are local store bought Thai OP, long purple, I wish they were a little taller.

The cantaloupe have there own nute mix with set EC and the egg, tom's and chilies all get a different formula

and EC. I may have to go back to a grow formula for the tom's and egg's.

If you go back a few pages, you see the same seed being used, plus a couple of other verites, but these

are the ones that worked the best for me, and some of the others didn't germinate and I didn't order any

new seed for this season.

rice555

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, an update on whats going on.

The cantaloupe are doing great, but I'm behind on getting their support setup and

tying up the tom's, both new forumlas are working very well!!! I'm at that we may get

power at the farm, so it's a small grow this season, and i'm 2 months behind.

The melons, the PBTD from saved seed as the Indigo Apples need vine clips.

Today at the Korat Ag Show they had some beautiful Indigo Rose and Chadwick

Cherry's, no plants/seed for sale, but did manage to find a couple of the Chadwick's

on the ground and trying to save a few seed. I've been saving my OP's like this for

a while and happy with the saved seed.

rice555

post-37242-0-50080500-1452184470_thumb.j

post-37242-0-68593600-1452184546_thumb.j

post-37242-0-10668600-1452184587_thumb.j

post-37242-0-81096900-1452184624_thumb.j

post-37242-0-84803100-1452184653_thumb.j

post-37242-0-48688700-1452184684_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, sort of an update, a few months of different than norma wether

here in Korat.

Cantaloupe bit the farm from the rains and heat/humidity and not being

able to spray when it needed it. Same for leaf miners and other M%#& F*%#$.

The tom's are slowly getting ripe, and started some cucks,but the wife has

taken that over, I only mix the nute's.

rice555

post-37242-0-05225400-1454866572_thumb.p

post-37242-0-51313900-1454866615_thumb.j

post-37242-0-67511700-1454866656_thumb.j

post-37242-0-57575700-1454866689_thumb.p

Hello,

I've read the forum a bit and found some interesting links for fertilizers (I'll give Wesco a try I think).

But what about beneficial bacteria (somthing like that http://www.botanicare.com/Hydroguard-P194C4.aspx ) and growth root hormones (something like this http://www.botanicare.com/Rhizo-Blast-P208C4.aspx ) ?

What do you guys recommend that we can buy in Thailand ?

Edited by Asernume

Hello All, I was trying a few cucks and nutes, this the wife's grow now,

and just getting some tom's to eat.

rice555

Hi Rice they all looked very nice , things are all happy, but the leaf miners are a pain, I finally got the corn nutrient sorted, wow that took some effort, strange plant!!!

Cheers

Scoop

Hello All, Scoop, when most of the damage was done, it was raining off and on,

I didn't spray as it would have just washThe ed off.

The cubit nutes is working great, and the new tom mix is also much better than

before.

Now that things are working well, we are going to finally move to the farm in 6 Mos.

so big projects till the move.

rice555

post-37242-0-48148500-1455607161_thumb.j

post-37242-0-64712000-1455607190_thumb.j

post-37242-0-58961700-1455607224_thumb.j

post-37242-0-91835300-1455607261_thumb.j