Nakhon Si Thammarat Declared A Disaster Zone

sbk

Nakhon Si Thammarat declared disaster zone

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT, Nov 9 (TNA) - Nakhon Si Thammarat declared seven districts as disaster zones, after one resident drowned and some 100 schools closed.

More than 30,000 residents have been affected by flooding, according to Pensri Kaewkumpai, who heads the Provincial Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Record high rainfall was measured in the provincial seat with 241 millimetres.

"The water level of rivers and canals is still increasing, so government workers have built embankments to prevent floods with the municipality," she said.

Local officials are keeping watch on the situation around the clock and provincial disaster workers are ready to respond to any emergency, she added.

The airport on Samui island has opened on Friday morning, allowing a way out for more than 1,000 tourists stranded when flights were cancelled on Thursday due to bad weather conditions.

The first flight departed at 6am filled with travellers leaving for other destinations.

However, heavy rain was still pouring down on the rain- and flood-drenched province, she indicated, saying that flooding on Samui island is still worrisome due to forest run-off and high tides. Local government workers face difficulty in draining water into the sea due to the volume of water involved.

Meanwhile, the meteorological department said that a low pressure cell covering lower southern Thailand continued to cause abundant rain and heavy rainfalls from Chumphon to the south.

Residents of Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pattani, Yala, Phangnga, Phuket and Krabi are advised to take precautions regarding torrential rain and floods.

Small boat operators have been advised to remain ashore due to 2-3 metre-high waves. (TNA)-E110, E004

MCOT news

One school in Nakhon Si Thammarat closed due to flooding

Chief of the office of disaster prevention and mitigation in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, Phensri Kaewkhumphai, says one school in the province has been temporarily closed due to heavy rain.

Mrs Phensri reports that heavy rain had been falling for many consecutive days has caused floodings in seven districts and 31 Tambons. One school in Sichon district has been closed as the school executives are concerned that the roads to the school may be too risky for students to travel.

The Sichon district has warned residents in the disaster-prone areas of dangers from flood conditions and set up a network on disaster warning. The network will work with relevant units including the Meteorological Department, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, and other local government units in providing aid to flood victims.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor Wichom Thongsong has approved budget of one million baht to each of the districts which are submerged. The province has also prepared officials to monitor the situation around the clock to warn people of disasters and assist them in time.

Mrs Phensri says further that the flood situation is expected to return to normal by November 10th if there is less rain.

Source: ReliefWeb

Anyone have more details? My wife has family both in Muang Nakhon, and Pak Phanang. The latter is extremely low lying, even 20K from the coast.

Definitely Mueang Nakhon, Lan Saka, Sichon and Tha Sala according to local radio news. The level in the field at the back of our house in Tha Sala was about 0.5 metre off being too much this morning, but with the light rain today it's dropped a good metre already. I hope it's clearing as quickly elsewhere in the province...

Edited by markwhite

Thanks Mark. I keep telling my wife how vulnerable Pak Phanang is but....?

...people will make their own choices no matter how good the intentions behind the advice...

Anyway - no rain last night and the water levels have dropped again. As before, hopefully this is happening generally and not just because we happen to have good drainage.

...people will make their own choices no matter how good the intentions behind the advice...

Anyway - no rain last night and the water levels have dropped again. As before, hopefully this is happening generally and not just because we happen to have good drainage.

Was planning a trip to Phuket by road, with a stop in Chumphon, is this now not advisable?

I do every year have a bet with my Thai mate who works in the political scene about the flooding...

Last year I won several times despite the politics that was involved... This year however I think that I will lose..

I bet there will be a flood before January 2nd 2008...

I did think there would be a flood last friday, there were more water coming down from the mountain than 3 years ago when we had the big flood down here in NST city...

I do now that several houses and places flooded this weekend and I do hope not to much damage happened to them...

The politicians are this year trying very hard to prevent a flood down town... They have built a small "test" dam next to my shcool "CLP" where they constantly monitor the rise in the water. They have also made a new river that flows into Tung Talad Park where there are large areas that can be flooded to take strain away from the local klongs... These are also monitored closely...

My friend did call me Thursday night about 1 am and said he thought I would win the bet, but due to luck the rain stopped and the level sunk a bit. The danger is still not over and there might still be a flood as on the 24th and 25th there will be sever high tide and if there is much rain a flood might be coming our way...

The water will use about 5-10 hours from the mountain down here in a normal rain storm but due to spreading rivers and dams it will slow down...

The city is working hard to prevent the flood and I do hope they can win this time around. (even if that means I will lose the bet)

Pak Panang will flood, but it all depends on the rain falling, high tide, where the house of your GF/Wife is..

Good luck and dont stop traveling just because of some rain, but be aware, you might get stuck somewhere... (thais are very friendly if you have a problem)

Was planning a trip to Phuket by road, with a stop in Chumphon, is this now not advisable?

The west side of the Isthmus is OK. Where are you travelling from?