Day Trips By Train?

JuniorExPat

I'm sure that I've heard or read about a good day out or day trip from Chiang Mai by train - can't find anything around here though. I've only ever used the train for the overnight trip from BKK and even that just a couple of times so I'm pretty much clueless on the subject.

My daughter has never been on a train so I think it's about time, I'm sure she'd have a blast and if I can actually add a fun destination into it I'd be Dad of the year!!

Any suggestions?

JxP

I'm sure that I've heard or read about a good day out or day trip from Chiang Mai by train - can't find anything around here though. I've only ever used the train for the overnight trip from BKK and even that just a couple of times so I'm pretty much clueless on the subject.

My daughter has never been on a train so I think it's about time, I'm sure she'd have a blast and if I can actually add a fun destination into it I'd be Dad of the year!!

Any suggestions?

As Nienke already suggested, Khun Tan (about 75 % of the way to Lampang) is a perfect choice. Your kid will be facing a 13 (!!) Baht ticket if over 3 years of age, sorry to inform you that yours will be double :o . Journey takes about 2 hours. We did the trip last month with kids, unfortunatly there was no convenient return shedule, so I had to pick them up by car ( because of roadworks from Highway 1 to Khun Tan it took me almost the same time as the train).

Lampang is another option, here the retourn journey can be done by train.

As I remember there are only the morning train 7 or 8 am (??) and the afternoon around 2 pm, returns to CM around 8 pm.

Enjoy the ride

JxP

The early-morning slow-train to Lampang is pleasant, especially going down the side of the valley after the tunnel, all bamboo-jungle and quite spectacular, particularly if you can sit near the front, with a view through the front-window.

In Lampang take the horse-buggy tour, stop to look at the wats & the museum in an old teak house, then eat & return for the (often-delayed) return-trip early-afternoon or late-afternoon.

Definitely a nice day-out.

It would be even better - if they ran steam-hauled tourist-specials on this route ! Choo-choo !! :o

Edited by Ricardo

The early-morning slow-train to Lampang is pleasant, especially going down the side of the valley after the tunnel, all bamboo-jungle and quite spectacular, particularly if you can sit near the front, with a view through the front-window.

In Lampang take the horse-buggy tour, stop to look at the wats & the museum in an old teak house, then eat & return for the (often-delayed) return-trip early-afternoon or late-afternoon.

Definitely a nice day-out.

It would be even better - if they ran steam-hauled tourist-specials on this route ! Choo-choo !! :o

Now we're getting somewhere - thank you Ricardo.

JxP

I was showing my 3 yr old son the steam train parked in front of CM rail station a couple of weeks ago & the same thought crossed my mind. He was well "chuffed" to have a look. Restoration project in order? Probably be a better tourist draw here than some of the other mega projects doomed to failure.

Take the morning train all the way to Sarapee (that's far enough to satisfy G's urge to ride on a train), give me a bell, I'll pick you up to come over for a coffee. Probably best to take a songteaw home. Day out on a train sorted :o

I think you forget that I have a gaggle of "little angels"! But you're right, well overdue for a "coffee" and next performance of the A & G show.

Will be in touch,

JxP

Take the morning train all the way to Sarapee (that's far enough to satisfy G's urge to ride on a train), give me a bell, I'll pick you up to come over for a coffee. Probably best to take a songteaw home. Day out on a train sorted :o

I think you forget that I have a gaggle of "little angels"! But you're right, well overdue for a "coffee" and next performance of the A & G show.

Will be in touch,

JxP

I have a mild proposal which sits half way between 2 others here. Take the early train to Khun Tarn and 'do' the little station there as well as the park. Junior can go into the old signal box and (supervised) play with the levers, and over the tracks and nearer the tunnel you can read the memorial to the German engineer who organised it. The tunnel.

And you can walk inside for a while provided you don't do a "Railway Children" and twist your ankle as a train is coming.

Then hop on a later train and 'do' Lampang.

But if you only get as far as Lamphun, be sure to have lunch at 'Lamphun Ice' restaurant across the road from the side entrance to the central temple. Cool aircon, great Thai food and low prices, but it always looks closed because the glass is so dark.

I've also often thought , what a pity it is, that there are no local ex-logging narrow-guage lines in the area !

I'm sure we could find enough mad farangs to operate the thing, it would be a great 'green' tourist attraction (burning renewable wood for fuel), plus I just like trains ! Toot toot !! :D

Maybe it could replace the currently-planned bus-lane network, which looks to me to be suspiciously like a normal road, with a bus-shelter & a pretty picture of a bus painted on the tarmac. :o

Timetable for CM trains....

Train times

Good link. How reliable is the timetable, do you know?

JxP

It's dated May this year. Seems to indicate that to go to Kun Tarn you leave CM 06.45 & only train back is at 11.25ish. Might be be better to go by car :o Or at least get Mrs JxP to pick you up at Kun Tarn.

Yep - just looked at the timetable properly - and not exactly tailored for day trips! More research . . . .

JxP