Renewing Uk Passport

I was after some information from anyone who has renewed their UK pasport in Bangkok. Who did you use for confirmation if identity i.e. did you just get a British friend to sign or a Thai person and which kind of position did they hold?

I got a Thai friend who worked in a bank.

I renewed mine last April, if you are going in person you do not need anyone to sign in confirmation of your identity because you will a) have your old passport with you and :o appear in person simple really but I had the same question lol.

Mine took nearly two weeks because of holidays but they offered to post it back, I declined as I felt it was too valuable to trust to the postal system so I went back up and collected it, they do give you a receipt so if needed you can produce it to explain why you have no passport at this time.

I found the process simple and efficient if a tad expensive (8500 baht).

I renewed mine last April, if you are going in person you do not need anyone to sign in confirmation of your identity because you will a) have your old passport with you and :o appear in person simple really but I had the same question lol.

Mine took nearly two weeks because of holidays but they offered to post it back, I declined as I felt it was too valuable to trust to the postal system so I went back up and collected it, they do give you a receipt so if needed you can produce it to explain why you have no passport at this time.

I found the process simple and efficient if a tad expensive (8500 baht).

My UK pasport is valid until 2014, but is already 80% full. All those Thai and Cambodian visa stamps taking up a page each. I had assumed that next year I could simply get some additional pages attached to the original passport. However, much to my surprise, I gather from the UK Embassy in Bangkok website

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376627

that extra pages are no longer an option:

"We do not add or insert additional pages into a passport that is full. If your passport is full, you will need to apply for a replacement."

I checked on the UKPA site (or whatever the UKPA is now called) and it said the same thing. When did this change happen, I wasn't aware of it? Bit of a rip-off anyway, having to buy a brand new passport when the old one is still valid for another 6 years or so.

Prices from the Embassy in Bangkok are:

32 page passport = Bt. 8,568.00

48 page passport = Bt. 10,368.00

which also seems quite steep, especially as I will have to travel from Pattaya to Bangkok to apply, and I also wouldn't trust the postal service so I would then have to make a second trip to collect it. I'm sure when I applied for my current passport (by post in the UK in 2003) it only cost about £70 (say 5000 Baht) for 48 pages. Is the 10,368 Baht now being demanded due to inflation, biometric didgeridoos, or just the British Embassy ripping us off for something that we can't live without?

One last question to anyone who has done this before: assuming that you are living here legally on a 1 year Non-O/retirement extension (or whatever your permission to stay may be), once you get your new passport, is it easy to get the existing visa and extension transferred, and how much does this cost?

Thanks for any info.

Having renewed in the last two weeks, I'll try to answer:-

• If you apply in person, and are surrendering your existing passport there is no requirement for a 'person who knows you' counter signatory. In practical terms the consular official acts as that person, just as, in the UK, if you apply in person at the Passport Office there is no signatory requirement.
  • New Pages have not been an option for a while now, at least since the redesign before last.
  • The costs are, in my view, high though the increases seem to have little to do with the imposition of 'bio-metrics' RFID and all.
  • UK Cost for 48 page is 85, 105 {1 week by appointment} or 123 {1 day} sterling, e.g. between @ 6,000 to 8,800 THB
  • Fees may be paid by Visa or Mastercard if preferred
  • One impact of the changes is to increase the time from 5 to 10 working days.
  • If you passport had validity, e.g. full but time to run, the process will add up to 9 months additional validity over the 10 years.
  • To transfer stamps simply fill in the form [Link] and go to Saun Plau, the process is free.

May I just add that I found the consular staff helpful and polite, and had no issues with the service that was provided to me.

One area which does cause problems are the new photo requirements, [Link to pdf] which need to be on a white background, with the majority of the image being the face itself. I don't wear them, but I've heard it suggested that removing eyeglasses for the photo is a good idea. There is a print/copy shop on the ground floor of Wave Place opposite the Embassy who has this down to a fine art now.

HTH

Regards

/add Eyeglasses point//

Edited by A_Traveller

Having renewed in the last two weeks, I'll try to answer:-

• If you apply in person, and are surrendering your existing passport there is no requirement for a 'person who knows you' counter signatory. In practical terms the consular official acts as that person, just as, in the UK, if you apply in person at the Passport Office there is no signatory requirement.
  • New Pages have not been an option for a while now, at least since the redesign before last.
  • The costs are, in my view, high though the increases seem to have little to do with the imposition of 'bio-metrics' RFID and all.
  • UK Cost for 48 page is 85, 105 {1 week by appointment} or 123 {1 day} sterling, e.g. between @ 6,000 to 8,800 THB
  • Fees may be paid by Visa or Mastercard if preferred
  • One impact of the changes is to increase the time from 5 to 10 working days.
  • If you passport had validity, e.g. full but time to run, the process will add up to 9 months additional validity over the 10 years.
  • To transfer stamps simply fill in the form [Link] and go to Saun Plau, the process is free.

May I just add that I found the consular staff helpful and polite, and had no issues with the service that was provided to me.

One area which does cause problems are the new photo requirements, [Link to pdf] which need to be on a white background, with the majority of the image being the face itself. I don't wear them, but I've heard it suggested that removing eyeglasses for the photo is a good idea. There is a print/copy shop on the ground floor of Wave Place opposite the Embassy who has this down to a fine art now.

HTH

Regards

/add Eyeglasses point//

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, A_Traveller.

You say that to get the visas transferred, you would go to Suan Plu (spelling?). Would I be correct in assuming that this just means go to your local Immigration Office (i.e. Jomtien in my case), or does it have to be Suan Plu for everyone? Interesting to hear that it is a free service - I wonder how long it will take them to catch onto that one? :o

Just out of curiosity, is the "no more extra pages" rule only for British Passports, or does it also apply to Europeans, Americans, Australians, etc.? I guess that losing this relatively cheap and convenient way of extending your passport must be the fault of Osama bin Laden et al, so presumably most Western governments will be doing the same thing?

Cheers.

Since you're in Bangkok to do the passport, I'd have thought it easiest to go there after collecting the passport early in the morning [Embassy suggest @ 9 to collect}. Forgive my ignorance but I've only ever had paperwork etc., issued/run through Bangkok so I can't given advice about other locales. Given Saun Plau is headquarters, there should be no issue going there as opposed to Jomtein, but that is not from experience.

Though I think it's still in place for US passports, there does seem to be a move away from adding pages to passports, I've heard this is no longer possible for Swiss ones recently, so maybe, yes I know Switzerland is not a member, it's an EU wide trend.

From a security perspective I guess it would make some sense, at least we still get 10 years, not 5 years as some countries provide.

Regards

PS on spooling :o I've seen Saun Plau spelt a number of ways, but notice the website goes with Saunplu {one word!}

Edited by A_Traveller

In Bangkok a personal application is all that is needed.

Even in the Uk the rules have changed. You only need photo verification

if your appearance had changed substantially!!

Who needs to sign it?

Usually only you need to sign if you are applying to renew your passport.

But, if your appearance has changed so much that it would be difficult to recognise you from the photo in your current or last passport, you will need to get your form countersigned at section 10. You should ask someone who works in a recognised profession or has good standing in the community (tell me more about who can countersign my application form) who has known you for at least two years to do this.

See here.

Since you're in Bangkok to do the passport, I'd have thought it easiest to go there after collecting the passport early in the morning [Embassy suggest @ 9 to collect}. Forgive my ignorance but I've only ever had paperwork etc., issued/run through Bangkok so I can't given advice about other locales. Given Saun Plau is headquarters, there should be no issue going there as opposed to Jomtein, but that is not from experience.

Though I think it's still in place for US passports, there does seem to be a move away from adding pages to passports, I've heard this is no longer possible for Swiss ones recently, so maybe, yes I know Switzerland is not a member, it's an EU wide trend.

From a security perspective I guess it would make some sense, at least we still get 10 years, not 5 years as some countries provide.

Regards

PS on spooling :D I've seen Saun Plau spelt a number of ways, but notice the website goes with Saunplu {one word!}

It's 3 years since I spent a night in Bangkok, and I have no idea where Saunplu (or whatever) is located. I have seen numerous posts that mention several hours of waiting time to be processed at this office though. So I would prefer - if possible - to do the visa transfer at my local office in Jomtien (literally just a couple of sois away from my condo), which is usually reasonably pleasant, quick and efficient. I will ask about that next month, when I apply for my extension.

It sounds like the UK is at the forefront of the war on terror, as usual, if even the Americans haven't banned extra pages yet! :o

I last renewed my passport in Bangkok in 2004 and it cost 4800B looks like they have more than doubled the price. I got my non-imm O extension transferred once in Pattaya and twice in Nakhon Phanom with no problems so it looks like you can do it anywhere. Can you do your passport renewal entirely by mail or do you have to go in person? I rather dislike the British embassy and the ill manners of their staff.

Rules changed when WE all became offically EUROPEANS and signed up for the new red PPs.

In the old..old..old days if your passport was too full and in my case it was the big ones with from memory 98 pages in it ...you went to the Embassy who whacked on a new 5 years validy extension passport and threaded a ribbon through it with a big candlewax stamp imbossed on the joint........ :D ....

Good old Carruthers was on the ball..what...har har...

Have a couple like that from Lagos in Nigeria and Riyadh in Saudi....

Talk to the staff nicely and you could get an invite to the Queens birthday bash or similar Embassy "Doos"

Took me all my wit to get a drink out of our man in Kuwait once....."suppose you want a drink" ...says he..after an excape from Basra..... :o ...like pulling teeth..... :D

Would I be correct in assuming that this just means go to your local Immigration Office (i.e. Jomtien in my case), or does it have to be Suan Plu for everyone?

Yes, you can get it done at your local immigration office - for free! :o

I rather dislike the British embassy and the ill manners of their staff.

When I got my new passport they were very polite and helpful.

Prices from the Embassy in Bangkok are:

32 page passport = Bt. 8,568.00

48 page passport = Bt. 10,368.00

which also seems quite steep, especially as I will have to travel from Pattaya to Bangkok to apply, and I also wouldn't trust the postal service so I would then have to make a second trip to collect it. I'm sure when I applied for my current passport (by post in the UK in 2003) it only cost about £70 (say 5000 Baht) for 48 pages. Is the 10,368 Baht now being demanded due to inflation, biometric didgeridoos, or just the British Embassy ripping us off for something that we can't live without?

Hi, I renewed my passport in Uk early 2006 and got a 'new' style biometric passport. There are 26 pages that are use-able for visa/stamps, so I expect it to be full within 2 years . It was confirmed to me on more than one occassion that this is the ONLY type/page amount available through UKPA .

So thats one advantage in getting PP at BKK and one way for UKPA to rip us off in yet another creative way.

Retards

Dave :o

UK Passport-On the 'pinned forms download' I see there is two forms.

1. Advise of new passport

2. Change visa to new passport

When you went to immigration did you have both forms or just the change visa to new passport one?

If you send to BKK by post is it best EMS or 'registered' or are they the same thing?

When I renewed mine earlier this year I followed the guidelines from their website and had my picture taken here in Pattaya and wearing my glasses, its the size that matters in this instance. In addition my retirement extension was due the following month so on receipt of my new passport I went down to Jomtien Immigration with all the paperwork explained to the SgtMaj that I had new passport, he transfered all my permission to stay, 90 day reporting etc to the new passport then processed my retirement extension for another year. There was no hastle and I was done and dusted in 20 mins. On the passport renewal I made the effort and went to Bangkok via the express coach from Pattaya Nua (120baht) then skytrain to wireless road then back home, I then did it again two weeks later, yes a lot of travelling but I value my passport too much to trust it to the postal system here. According to the website the increase in charges has been caused by the introduction of the biometric passport, also I found the staff at the embasy very pleasant and helpful at the end of the day they do not levy the charges the government do. I was also pleased that the unused 9 months on my old passport had been added to my new passport.

Edited by JohnC

To answer the queries above:-

• The 48 page passport wasn't available for a period during the switch to 'bio-metric' but, forgive stating the obvious is now.
  • Just download and complete the change of passport form, you only need the one.
  • Personally I'd prefer to never send by mail, but EMS is advised and is used by the embassy to return passport to you if you require. To all intents and purposes 'EMS' is closest to the Datapost service, so could be viewed as 'registered +'.
  • Second passports will be provided if a valid reason can be provided, but usually not just for 'volume' of travel. I.e. separating Israeli and Arab countries stamps.

HTH

Regards

PS On the photo point, the key is the ability for the image to scanable and allow collection of data, hence the null background, and the percentage of image showing the face.

PPS To restate I found the staff at the Embassy polite and helpful.

Edited by A_Traveller