2 Year Old Son.......expensive Ticket!

keemao

Hi everybody,

I am travelling on Thai airways in December with my wife and son. My question is regarding my son. He turned 2 in October which will make him 2 years and 2 months old when we will be travelling. Thai charges 70% of the fare for a 'child' (2-11 yrs old)

under 2 he only pays 10%. Has anyone ever attempted to pay the infant price for a child over 2 yrs old?? It seems silly that I am up for an extra 20,000baht for the sake of 2 months.

Is there any way around this? or is this just the way it is?

Thanks

Well good answer Oswulf, either you do not have kids or your just rich beyond your wildest dreams. As for children over two taking seats they are hardly ever in them when travelling, either asleep on the parents lap or wanting alook around...it should be cheaper up till the age of 5 IMO....

As one poster said that a child under 2 will not be allowed seat, though he will get one, if any seat is empty.

For one of my nephew my brother paid 10% because he is around 1 year old and for the other he had to pay 75% because he is 3 years+.

For OP, you have to pay 70% without exception. As for another poster claiming that the child will not utilize the seat is baseless, coz the seat would be allocated, whether you use it or not.

It makes sense to pay less than 100% for children for many reasons, some of them are (1) to encourage parents to travel with children (2) children usually eat less/require less service from the crew member etc. :o

ajrnmark, your calculations could be loosely correct, this theory my be baseless IYO however its a fact. companies are over pricing for children. Most EU countries trains, buses are free for travel of children/toddlers why should a large airline company be any different? It seems you maybe a travel agent....just kidding :o

A seat is allocated to everyone over two. even two year olds have to use the seat during take off and landing and when the seat belt sign is on. The seat, therefore can not be sold to anyone else. You will still have the laugage weight allocation.

I have children, and understand exactly how you feel.

A seat is allocated to everyone over two. even two year olds have to use the seat during take off and landing and when the seat belt sign is on. The seat, therefore can not be sold to anyone else. You will still have the laugage weight allocation.

Exactly. FAA requires children over two to have their own seat. Under 2 they must be on the lap with a special seat belt extension

As a flight attendant for 20 years I had to laugh at one of the posters who say that the children don't require much service. Hah! You know how many times I've been handed a baby or a toddler and been "told" to change them? Do you know how many times I've had children throw up all over me? Do you know how many times I've had to wipe down seats that babies/toddlers have thrown up or went to the toilet on? From heating up water bottles to baby sitting to fixing formula. We do it all. I even have to listen to other passengers complain because of the crying, smell, noise, etc. I love children but give me someone who just wants their glass filled with whiskey the entire flight!

Exactly. FAA requires children over two to have their own seat. Under 2 they must be on the lap with a special seat belt extension

As a flight attendant for 20 years I had to laugh at one of the posters who say that the children don't require much service. Hah! You know how many times I've been handed a baby or a toddler and been "told" to change them? Do you know how many times I've had children throw up all over me? Do you know how many times I've had to wipe down seats that babies/toddlers have thrown up or went to the toilet on? From heating up water bottles to baby sitting to fixing formula. We do it all. I even have to listen to other passengers complain because of the crying, smell, noise, etc. I love children but give me someone who just wants their glass filled with whiskey the entire flight!

Thats your job, get me a beer!

Thanks for the replies. I've checked already and it is law. Over 2 years old have to have a seat. No exceptions. my point is simply that my son is no different now than he was 2 months ago.

As for the flight attendant............you can look after my son AND fill my glass with whiskey!!!!!

Not one to complain, I've booked and paid already, But it was worth checking first IMO

Thats your job, get me a beer!

:o:D:D CRACKING !

attendant for 20 years I had to laugh at one of the posters who say that the children don't require much service. Hah! You know how many times I've been handed a baby or a toddler and been "told" to change them? Do you know how many times I've had children throw up all over me? Do you know how many times I've had to wipe down seats that babies/toddlers have thrown up or went to the toilet on? From heating up water bottles to baby sitting to fixing formula. We do it all. I even have to listen to other passengers complain because of the crying, smell, noise, etc. I love children but give me someone who just wants their glass filled with whiskey the entire flight!

Surely that stuff is what parents are for. Why should you change them? You aren't going to clean me up if I crap myself.

:D Then you'll appreciate this story....supposed to be true...occured on the old BOAC, now British Airways.

There was a woman who was very demanding, complaining about everything on the plane. No matter what the flight attendents did, nothing was good enough for her. The flight attendents were all fed up with her complaining. Finally she barked at one of the attendents as he went by,"My throat is dry. Get me something for my throat". The attendent went into the first class area, and found a large carving knife. He got a piece of red ribbon, and a serving tray. He then carried the knife, with ribbon tied to it, on the serving tray to the woman. "What in H-ll is that for?", she barked.

"For your throat, madam, for your throat",he replied.

:o

Funny, when we did travel with our baby, we give HER the Jack Daniels and we sucked from the baby bottle! :o

:D Then you'll appreciate this story....supposed to be true...occured on the old BOAC, now British Airways.

There was a woman who was very demanding, complaining about everything on the plane. No matter what the flight attendents did, nothing was good enough for her. The flight attendents were all fed up with her complaining. Finally she barked at one of the attendents as he went by,"My throat is dry. Get me something for my throat". The attendent went into the first class area, and found a large carving knife. He got a piece of red ribbon, and a serving tray. He then carried the knife, with ribbon tied to it, on the serving tray to the woman. "What in H-ll is that for?", she barked.

"For your throat, madam, for your throat",he replied.

:o

Urban legend!! Many variations on this story. But still amusing! Mind you I've been tempted over the last 20 years to back talk or just be plain mean!

It makes sense to pay less than 100% for children for many reasons, some of them are (1) to encourage parents to travel with children (2) children usually eat less/require less service from the crew member etc. :o

It's also because a child will not be allowed to have the 'free' booze on the flights.

Its just part of having kids. There always has to be a "cut-off" somewhere and at those thresholds there are always people who wish to be the exception. Whether it is "my child is only 2cm under the height restriction, 2 days past the school cut off for that year, or 2 months older than the child fare rules.....

There must be cut off points or we end up with too many grey areas and the goal posts being moved.

I took my daughter on a flight over her 2nd birthday and she went out with a 10% fare and returned on an 80% ticket. Its tough but no-one said having kids was inexpensive! hee hee