Chalong Bay

Cicinho

I'm off to Phuket on Monday and only booked it a few days ago so finding a reasonable hotel has been a bit of a pain. I recently came across this good one Aochalong Villa and Spa ( http://phuketdir.com/aochalongvillapkt/index.htm ) I really like this resort but the only problem is I was really hoping on staying in Patong. I don't know weather to give this little place up and settle for a hotel not as good in Patong or just stay here and get a taxi or something to Patong.

What I would like to know is what sort of distance am I from Patong, roughly about how much in a taxi ect ect? What is Chalong Bay like for its nightlife, I am only 21 so I dont want to be stuck in a retirement village, if you know what I mean. I heard the beach was "un-swimmable" due to alot of boats floating around the peir, were is the closest good beach. Phuket town itself whats it like and how far is it away, and again, roughly, how much in a taxi. Also how long in a taxi is it from the airport.

Anyone who has been here or knows anything about the area that could can give me a little insight into everything would be great appreachiated.

Edited by Cicinho

Hi,

Chalong is a nice part of Phuket if your into a more relaxed pace and a bit of diving. If it's the hectic nightlife that your after then I would stick to going to Patong. There are a few bars down by the Chalong pier, but nothing really to write home about.

As for taxis, when you come out of the airport do a right and head down to the taximetre hut as you leave the airport building ( green and yellow taxis). I normally pay about 450baht to Rawai which is about 5 minutes further down the coast from Chalong. This will be your cheapest option for taxis. As for the bus schedule i'm not sure. Stay away from the airport limosine services that will charge you around double for the pleasure.

If you were to stay in Chalong and taxi into Patong, then you are looking at a minimum 20 - 30 minute drive ( depending on time of day ), unless you get a regular driver organised, then you will be dealing with tuk tuks,,, which are a lottery unto there own,,, regarding how much you will pay. You may be lucky to get to Patong from chalong for 300-400 baht, and then find that they will try and charge you 600baht on your return leg.

You will find that most of the beaches on the east coast are less pleasing to the eye than the west coast. The nearest popular beach from Chalong would be Nai harn beach http://www.phuket-thailande.com/island/ima...s_naiharn-n.jpg which is only a short drive down the coast. On the way to Nai harn you would drive through Rawai, which has a nice choice of restaurants, shops, and bars. Not quite patong but a popular with expats.

Am sure you will get varied replies to your post, as everyone has different opinions to different parts of the island.

Enjoy your hols.

choppy

I'm off to Phuket on Monday and only booked it a few days ago so finding a reasonable hotel has been a bit of a pain. I recently came across this good one Aochalong Villa and Spa ( http://phuketdir.com/aochalongvillapkt/index.htm ) I really like this resort but the only problem is I was really hoping on staying in Patong. I don't know weather to give this little place up and settle for a hotel not as good in Patong or just stay here and get a taxi or something to Patong.

What I would like to know is what sort of distance am I from Patong, roughly about how much in a taxi ect ect? What is Chalong Bay like for its nightlife, I am only 21 so I dont want to be stuck in a retirement village, if you know what I mean. I heard the beach was "un-swimmable" due to alot of boats floating around the peir, were is the closest good beach. Phuket town itself whats it like and how far is it away, and again, roughly, how much in a taxi. Also how long in a taxi is it from the airport.

Anyone who has been here or knows anything about the area that could can give me a little insight into everything would be great appreachiated.

You will be staying a long long way from Patong. Two mountains. And trying to get a tuk tuk (no taxis here) from that area of Chalong (or any area of Chalong come to that, Chalong busy but not tourist area, so tuk tuks don't bother to ply their trade there) after 4 to 5pm will be virtually impossible. Unless you want to spend your holiday (at 21?) taking early morning walks along the beach and retiring to your room at 8pm - yes, it looks lovely, but you will bored out of your gourd if you're thinking of it being anywhere near an alternative to Patong. And as much as all us long stay residents may love or loathe Patong, if you're here on a short holiday at your age, settle for a lesser room, or as has been suggested, Kata/Karon is a viable alternative and only one mountain and many more tuk tuks away.

Excellent advise... forget Chalong, even Karon & Kata. Settle for a cheap guest house along Nanai Road, just look about and walk-in, see many at 600 baht/night right now. Save a load of money on taxis and get cheap motor bike taxi (40 baht) to beach and night life. Quite a few lively bars on Nania Road these days.

Thanks everyone for you imput. I have decided not to stay in Chalong but to go for Patong. I picked up a nice little number in Patong, says its closed to nightlife ect but still a bit secluded so if you dont want all the husstle and busstle that comes along with staying in the heart of the city. Baan Nern Sai resort is its name, http://www.phuket.com/baannernsai/rooms.htm

haha did it again eh? Well this one is a bit closer to patong, the bust takes you there for free and what are we talking 100-200 baht tuk tuk on the way back to the hotel? Its been all paid in full so there is no going back. I like the idea that its not slap bang in the middle of everything, i'd like to be able to kick up the feet by the pool a few days after a nights drinking and not have the placed packed out with a bunch of balloons doing my head in haha and when i go to the beach for the water sports its a free bus ride away. I'll soon find out one way or another if its good for me....

Why the emphasis on Patong?

Ya hassled all the time one is there.

Ya get ripped off.

Even Karon and Kata getting bad now.

Kata is better place, better beach.

NO beach at Chalong.

I go to Chalong about 3 times a year from NZ..

It is laid back and people are so friendly.

I usually stay at AO CHALONG INN. 700 baht last time, per nite.

Really clean, no extra for "LADY" staying overnite.... PMPL.

I drink at COME ON BAR, across the street.

It is in the road that runs down to the port, wharves, from the circle.

No nite clubs, but many expats and friendly thais inhabit the bars.

Chalong is the main dive port.

Chalong has everything except touts and ripoff shops and bars.

If ya want that, go to Patong.

Finally, hire a scooter, 150 - 200 baht 24 hours.

Patoing about 15 - 20 min ride, Kata and Karon, less.

buses to Kata and Karon 25 baht, Phuket city, 30 baht last I was there.

Scooter taxis the same. Check ya fare before ya go.

There is a scooter taxi stand at the circle, price list there too.

Gofrit, relax and enjoy.

Edited by Zpete

Chalong has everything except touts and ripoff shops and bars.
and except a beach.

Yeah, missed that, must agree........sorry mess wot is s'posed to be a beach.

Dun worry me, I get buis to KATA, 25 Baht.

I use a scooter if I am entertaining a femme.

BIG spender is I....... LOL

I have read why buses do not run to Patong from Chalong, bad roads, hills etc. That long gone by board. Hills still there, road OK.

I have read why buses do not run to Patong from Chalong, bad roads, hills etc. That long gone by board. Hills still there, road OK.

Tuk Tuk mafia rules .... Ok :o

PHUKET Tuk Tuks are ripoff.

Gotta be desperate.

Neva use them, hafta be nutz.

Ok if a group and share, otherwise give 'em a miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must say I was largely disappointed with Patong as a whole. The hotel I stayed in was good, it was a bit away from everything but that wasn't a problem, me and her got a little motorbike out for the 2 weeks so getting about wasn't a problem. The free bus took us to beach road, Rat u thit, anywhere we needed to go when heading out for the night and a 150 baht motorbike taxi took us back up the hill on the way home.

The street vendors and suit sellers weren't really a problem either, I handled worse in Pattaya so these guys were a gift to brush off. A simple meow khrap got them to move on, not same in Pattaya were the literally wouldn't leave you alone. The main disappointment about Patong was that the nightlife was rather pathetic. Other than Bangla there was nowhere decent (imo) to go. Soi Lion, Soi Eric and the little Jack Daniels bar facing the Australian bar was all we found interesting. The rest of the place was rather crap. Too many children, old people, italians and australians.

During the day was ok, we took the motorbike to Surin beach and the little beach that you had to walk down half a mountine to get to were good. We done the go karts, atv's. She wanted to go the see the monkey show and the elephants so during the day was ok but the night let the place down, ended up sitting in the room watching a film or going to the sf cinema a few times to try a pass the boredom. If I could of got a refund on the hotel then I would have got a plane to Pattaya, like two Americans did after meeting me in Soi Lion on the first night.

In April back to Pattaya for 2 weeks then to Koh Samui for 2, I am hoping Samui is a little better than Phuket and a little less full of falangs haha Phuket just aint my cup of tea.

Well I must say I was largely disappointed with Patong as a whole. The hotel I stayed in was good, it was a bit away from everything but that wasn't a problem, me and her got a little motorbike out for the 2 weeks so getting about wasn't a problem. The free bus took us to beach road, Rat u thit, anywhere we needed to go when heading out for the night and a 150 baht motorbike taxi took us back up the hill on the way home.

150 BAHT MOTOR BIKE TAXI FARE .... you got to be kidding, you were really ripped off. 40 baht would be the very most you should pay.

150 BAHT MOTOR BIKE TAXI FARE .... you got to be kidding, you were really ripped off. 40 baht would be the very most you should pay.

Haha everyone of them asked that, one night when I couldn't talk he conned her for 200, the same driver that charged 150 for 2 nights prior to that. Being Thai and using my money she gave it to him without arguement.

there are a few good places to go in patong other than bangla. club lime, rock city, saxophone, byd lofts, just to name a few.

but the view from your resort is lovely, and the rooms decent too.

i used to pay 40thb by motorbike from up near montes pub to baan yin dee, next to your hotel, a year ago. quite a distance. but the blokes right in patong usually can pick who lives here and who doesnt and take full advantage of that.

there are a few good places to go in patong other than bangla. club lime, rock city, saxophone, byd lofts, just to name a few.

but the view from your resort is lovely, and the rooms decent too.

i used to pay 40thb by motorbike from up near montes pub to baan yin dee, next to your hotel, a year ago. quite a distance. but the blokes right in patong usually can pick who lives here and who doesnt and take full advantage of that.

Yeah I saw your place, it looked good. The first night our taxi pulled up there and I thought to myself this place looks good then we realised we were at the wrong one and ours was up this long dark ally haha it was different haha.

The thing was I took my thai girlfriend with me, we went everywhere together, got every motorbike taxi together and yet they stilled done us in. But even still 150 baht I thought was fair enough, I didn't mind paying it and it gave the taxi driver an extra few quid to help him out. I used to pay 100baht from walking street to Soi Bukhao in Pattaya so 150 seemed right to me.

Anyone else notice that most of the places you go to eat the Thai people do no like falangs. It took the PS Hotel about 10 days to thank me for eating there when they would thank and wai every thai person there. 1 time the waiter was in the middle of taking the order of 2 australians when my girlfriend called him to take our order for dessert, he literally stopped in the middle of there order, took ours and placed it before returning to finish the 2 australians orders.

Hardly.. one nearly beat my missus up when she baulked at an 80 baht payment just to nanai.. If 2 passengers standard patong practice to 2x fare.. Late at night from Bangla they know your stuck.

Used to be the MC guys were fine but they have taken from the tuk tuks playbook.

Hardly.. one nearly beat my missus up when she baulked at an 80 baht payment just to nanai.. If 2 passengers standard patong practice to 2x fare.. Late at night from Bangla they know your stuck.

Used to be the MC guys were fine but they have taken from the tuk tuks playbook.

As a reg viisitor to Chalong, I use mo'bike taxis a lot.

There is a bikie stand at the CIRCLE.

If you look at the tree they sit under, you will see a price list of fares.

They also negotiate if you want to go shopping, and give you very good deal to wait around for you, most are very reasonable.

Cost me 40Baht last trip to got to Phuket Town from Chalong.

Bus woulda bin cheaper, 25Baht, but I was in hurry.

Same trip in my home city would have cost aroound 160 - 180 Baht in bus.

You lot make me sick sometimes, i used motorbike taxis in the Chalong area for years and always had a good experience and very cheap. Imagine a Westerner complaining about a 200 baht fare in Europe - that's like £3

How in the world can you compare prices in Thailand with prices in Europe ..... doooh

You lot make me sick sometimes, i used motorbike taxis in the Chalong area for years and always had a good experience and very cheap. Imagine a Westerner complaining about a 200 baht fare in Europe - that's like £3

How in the world can you compare prices in Thailand with prices in Europe ..... doooh

I dun care wotya say, but Chalong has been very good to me.

NO rips off.

VERY reasonable coasting good accommodations.

Good cheap tukka.

Bike taxi guys are great.

Ya hafta realise, the basic wage in Thailand is ruffly $NZ8.00.

I neva gripe, actually feel for the Thai people trying to make a go of life.