Pattaya Press Hoax Award

sharecropper

Some of you may have seen the below item splashed over the front and inside pages of certain crowing Pattaya papers this week. Sadly I am informed that this is a hoax!

Does anyone have any further details about it? Even the typos give it away.

Congratulations: The 2007 results are in for the "Media Readers Awards"

We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate, Pattaya People Newspaper, as the Number 1 choice, for the most read newspaper in Pattaya. 2nd place; goes to Pattaya Today, and 3rd place; goes to Pattaya Mail.

The above results were achieved by polling over 3000 foreign people in the Pattaya area, over a period of 2 months. Whilst the results are of a scientific nature, we agree that similar results may be different as to the location of the polling. We asked three questions to the people that our interviewers were polling. 1. Do you read a local newspaper? 2. What newspaper do you read? 3. And which local newspaper do you like the least? The results are as follows:

Question # 1 91% reads a local newspaper. 5% reads Bangkok Post. 2% reads The Nation or others 2 % doesn't read a newspaper, prefers the tele.

Question # 2 1. Pattaya People 2. Pattaya Today 3. Pattaya Mail

Question #3 1. Pattaya Mail 2. Pattaya Today 3. Pattaya People

1. Pattaya People 48 %

2. Pattaya Today 29 %

3. Pattaya Mail 23 %

In our opinion, the reason for the success of Pattaya People is; that people prefer the sensational headlines, as it catches the readers eyes.

In our opinion, the demize of Pattaya Mail is: too much of their copy is promoting the in-crowd or social scene of Pattaya.

In our opinion, the fast rise of readership of Pattaya Today is: the honesty of its edirorials and less coverage of social functions.

Remember, the majority of readers of any newspaper is the average non-afluent person. When a newspaper continues to flaunt the wealth of others with pictures and articles of that element of society, in my humble opinion, thats a "slap in the face."

Sincerely Yours,

Horace Stallings

Media Readers Awards

Some of you may have seen the below item splashed over the front and inside pages of certain crowing Pattaya papers this week. Sadly I am informed that this is a hoax!

Does anyone have any further details about it? Even the typos give it away.

Congratulations: The 2007 results are in for the "Media Readers Awards"

We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate, Pattaya People Newspaper, as the Number 1 choice, for the most read newspaper in Pattaya. 2nd place; goes to Pattaya Today, and 3rd place; goes to Pattaya Mail.

The above results were achieved by polling over 3000 foreign people in the Pattaya area, over a period of 2 months. Whilst the results are of a scientific nature, we agree that similar results may be different as to the location of the polling. We asked three questions to the people that our interviewers were polling. 1. Do you read a local newspaper? 2. What newspaper do you read? 3. And which local newspaper do you like the least? The results are as follows:

Question # 1 91% reads a local newspaper. 5% reads Bangkok Post. 2% reads The Nation or others 2 % doesn't read a newspaper, prefers the tele.

Question # 2 1. Pattaya People 2. Pattaya Today 3. Pattaya Mail

Question #3 1. Pattaya Mail 2. Pattaya Today 3. Pattaya People

1. Pattaya People 48 %

2. Pattaya Today 29 %

3. Pattaya Mail 23 %

In our opinion, the reason for the success of Pattaya People is; that people prefer the sensational headlines, as it catches the readers eyes.

In our opinion, the demize of Pattaya Mail is: too much of their copy is promoting the in-crowd or social scene of Pattaya.

In our opinion, the fast rise of readership of Pattaya Today is: the honesty of its edirorials and less coverage of social functions.

Remember, the majority of readers of any newspaper is the average non-afluent person. When a newspaper continues to flaunt the wealth of others with pictures and articles of that element of society, in my humble opinion, thats a "slap in the face."

Sincerely Yours,

Horace Stallings

Media Readers Awards

I was sent an email last week saying the exact same thing and was pretty shocked to see that this piece of tabloid sensationalistic junk had won anything. "People prefer sensational headlines" I suppose some people do have morbid tendancies and I do know that Pattaya attracts quite a lot of low life, but surely the articles involving blood, guts, suicides, guns, drugs, paedophiles, rapes and abductions aren't high on on everyones agenda. It looks to me like there has been some "creative accounting" going on, either that or there were no blood and guts headlines to put on the front page, so they made a story up and I'm told it wouldn't be the first time!