Bangkok's Best Bread!

mauiguy90

Where can you find Bangkok's finest, fresh baked bread? I love a great slice of freshly baked bread. I'm lucky since I just have to walk down the street to a Japanese bakery in Sukhumvit 39, where they sell great English bread daily. This crusty bread, toasted with butter and jelly on the top, goes down great with a cup of hot Kona coffee.

They also sell chocolate bread, raisin bread(Wed) and milk bread(Mon/Fri). All of them taste great and it takes all my willpower to stop munching on these temptations.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is not the best bread in town. If so, then where do you get your daily bread? :o

Edited by mauiguy90

I have been suprised I live on a jungled mountain so no near bakeries, I brought a breadmaker from Uk and all the necessitties but somehow it will not make good bread here with local or imported ingredients anyone any ideas

It took me a long time to find a good source for bread, now I have 4 specific shops that I get the best bread from...baguettes, french loaves, 5 grain high loaves and a few others, all superb and I slice them myself, thick for toasting or just frsh with my favourite spreads...vegemite, pineapple jam, fig jam, honey and a few others....mmmmm

Where can you find Bangkok's finest, fresh baked bread? I love a great slice of freshly baked bread. I'm lucky since I just have to walk down the street to a Japanese bakery in Sukhumvit 39, where they sell great English bread daily. This crusty bread, toasted with butter and jelly on the top, goes down great with a cup of hot Kona coffee.

They also sell chocolate bread, raisin bread(Wed) and milk bread(Mon/Fri). All of them taste great and it takes all my willpower to stop munching on these temptations.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is not the best bread in town. If so, then where do you get your daily bread? :o

Where on 39?

I like the bread from Custard Nakamura next to the BullsHead and the Danish Bakery around the corner, their bread cakes are great.

I have been suprised I live on a jungled mountain so no near bakeries, I brought a breadmaker from Uk and all the necessitties but somehow it will not make good bread here with local or imported ingredients anyone any ideas

I find you get more control by having the breadmaker mix the dough and then doing the rising in a bread tin and throwing it in the oven

Cheers

It took me a long time to find a good source for bread, now I have 4 specific shops that I get the best bread from...baguettes, french loaves, 5 grain high loaves and a few others, all superb and I slice them myself, thick for toasting or just frsh with my favourite spreads...vegemite, pineapple jam, fig jam, honey and a few others....mmmmm

Care to share where these are?

Where on 39?

I like the bread from Custard Nakamura next to the BullsHead and the Danish Bakery around the corner, their bread cakes are great.

There are two bakeries in the soi about 300-400 meters from the beginning of the soi. The bakery(sign says boulangerie) I refer to is on the right hand side of soi 39, shortly after the first intersection. It is next door to a restaurant called "La romainia". Best to go on Wednesdays as they make more varieties of bread on that day.

I haven't tried the bread from Custard Nakamura or the bakery(behind Villa?). Will do this week.

Where on 39?

There are two bakeries in the soi about 300-400 meters from the beginning of the soi. The bakery(sign says boulangerie) I refer to is on the right hand side of soi 39, shortly after the first intersection. It is next door to a restaurant called "La romainia". Best to go on Wednesdays as they make more varieties of bread on that day.

I haven't tried the bread from Custard Nakamura or the bakery(behind Villa?). Will do so this week.

Where on 39?

I haven't tried the bread from Custard Nakamura or the bakery(behind Villa?). Will do so this week.

Is that coming from Sukhumvit?

Danish Bakery is in the entrance of the Villa car park .

They also sell the bread in Villa , but there is an illusion? of freshness buying from the bakery :o

Cheers

I get my baguettes and English loaf from Yamikusa (or something like that) Japanese bakery. They are in a few major malls in Bangkok.

Best I have tried in Thailand.

Yamikusa = Yamazaki? I think that's what you mean.

Is that coming from Sukhumvit?

Yep, its about 400 meters from Sukhumvit to the bakery, on the right hand side immediately after a small intersection. Bakery is white with a little blue trim. There should also be a little bakery on the left side just before you reach the Boulangerie. Definitely go on Wednesday since variety is greatest that day. If not, Mon/Fri are also good. :o

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want a normal sliced bread that is available almost anywhere I find a-plus to be acceptable, not sweet like many of the other mass produced brands. It looks very similar to the more common farmhouse but the packet is Orange, it does have a-plus written in English if you look hard enough at the packaging.

It may help to add both gluten and dough conditioner to your breadmaker bread. What kind of bread are you trying to make? White? Whole wheat? Rye? It makes a difference.

The real truth, though, is that bread machines always result in a loaf inferior to hand made bread. Bread is NOT HARD to make by hand. Try my single-loaf recipe:

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup hot water plus 1/8 cup (or 2 Tablespoons) hot water

2 tablespoons oil

2 tablespoons sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon yeast

3 cups flour

1. Put everything but the flour into a very large bowl, stir it well, and let it sit for a few minutes. You should see the yeast growing.

2. Add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing very thoroughly after each addition.

3. Turn out the ball of dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the loaf fights back when you try to fold it. You will probably need to sprinkle more flour over it to make it less sticky as you knead. To knead, squash the ball, pushing it away a little bit, then fold it in half toward you. Squash it again, then turn it 1/4 rotation, or 90 degrees, And repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

4. Wash and dry that big bowl quickly. Grease it with oil, and put the ball of dough back into it. Turn the ball of dough over so both sides are greased. Put a slightly damp clean dishtowel over the pan. Let it rise about an hour, or until doubled in bulk.

5. Butter a loaf pan very generously. Punch down the dough in the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and continue to squash it, attempting to get all air bubbles in it squashed. Shape it into a rectangle as wide as your loaf pan and 1 1/2 times as long. Roll it up toward you, sealing each rotation to the dough below/in front of it. Put your hands on the top edges of the dough, and pull the top down over the sides to make a smooth edge on each end. Put the dough into the loaf pan.

6. Preheat the oven to about 175˚C or 350˚F. Cover the loaf pan with the damp dishtowel and let the bread rise in the loaf pan for about 30 minutes, or until nicely above the top of the pan.

7. Bake for about 40 minutes. It will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom if it is done. Place it on a rack to cool, and if you like a soft crust brush butter on the crust.

• 1 month later...
Bonjour all,

Being French, i am always looking for good places to find good bread. I was suprised last week to walk next to my house, on Ruamrudee, and see that a couple of French guys have opened a shop called BREAD, A FRENCH COFFEE SHOP. They, i think, definitely serve the best baguette in town. They offer great sandwiches for less than 100THB with rillettes, pate, and other goodie. Since i livein the street, they deliver for free but not sure abnout the rest. They have a nice terrace too with aperitifs. Talked to the owner last week and apparently, they want ot open 10 in BKK within the next 2 years so soon next to you.

<snip>

They also have very good croissants and pain au chocolats which i enjoy too!

Cheers

Sounds good, what are your opening hours?

I like all kinds of good breads....but I'm a particular favorite of raisin bread, especially toasted with some jam for breakfast in the morning. So during my time in BKK, among other things, I've spend some time and effort looking for the best raisin breads around. And I've tried a bunch through the months, both from stores and from standalone bakeries.

My verdict for the best so far belongs to: Toraya Japanese Bakery, which has two shops, one on Soi Thong Lor just a block up from Sukhumvit Road on the left hand side, and the other, usually better, more fully stocked and more choices shop, located on Thong Lor Soi 13, about three blocks inward from the main road.

Toraya does at least two varieties of raisin bread and both are excellent, far surpassing any I've found elsewhere. The two varieties sell from between 45 and 50 baht per loaf, which also is very good pricing compared to the typical prices at other shops/bakeries.

One is a large sliced loaf with maybe 8 thick slices, each about the same thickness as what we used to call back in the U.S. "Texas Toast", so maybe nearing an inch thick per slice, and larger in dimension than a usual sandwich slice. The bread is soft and moist, a bit sweet to taste, mostly white and not much cinammon, and not heavy on rasins.

post-53787-1254564008_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1254564018_thumb.jpg

But then they also do a smaller dimensioned unsliced loaf of raisin bread, with many many more raisins, more cinamon and seemingly more dense and more sweet, almost like a desert bread. I first found that variety at my local Villa Market, and liking it, it led me to check out the source, being Toraya's own two bakery shops.

They also do a variety of breads, buns, pastries, cookies and such. It's more narrowly focused as a bakery, whereas Custard Nakamura (another of my personal favorites) has a substantial presence in sandwiches and filled sandwich buns and deserts, making its offerings broader, more eclectic and more ethnically Japanese in its offerings.

Re the raisin breads, I've tried Yamazaki, St. Etoile and a number of the other supposedly premium offerings. Compared to Toraya, they all taste relatively like sawdust. BTW, I've asked repeatedly at Custard Nakamura if they do a raisin bread, and the answer always comes back, they don't...even though they do do at least a half dozen varieties of their own sliced breads.

As far as I can tell, neither Toraya nor Custard Nakamura do traditional western holiday-type fruitcakes...

But James, since you're looking for one, I'll put in a request with them on your behalf... Happy Holidays to come, you fruitcake you!!!

:)

• 1 month later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask here:

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE YAMAZAKI IN MBK?!?

They did a good business there, the shelves were empty by closing time. Is there another in the area? I know they are the same company as St. Etoile, but the one at MBK was convenient for me. I'll have to go to Central Pinklao to see if they're still open there.

• 3 weeks later...
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask here:

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE YAMAZAKI IN MBK?!?

They did a good business there, the shelves were empty by closing time. Is there another in the area? I know they are the same company as St. Etoile, but the one at MBK was convenient for me. I'll have to go to Central Pinklao to see if they're still open there.

There's a Sun Moulin Bakery in Central World Isetan, which is run by Yamazaki. There also was a Yamazaki in Big C across the street, although not sure its still there.