Why Do Western People Use The Word "farang"?

ade100

The one Thai word that Westerners seem to use all the time, and crops up all over this forum, is “Farang”. But isn’t it almost meaningless and vaguely insulting to the countries and cultures we come from?

I have heard the F word used to mean English speakers. In BKK you often see taxis with a sticker in the window saying “I Love Farang”, which means the driver speaks English. I suppose it mostly means Caucasian but can also mean people from the Western world who earn Western salaries.

When I have pointed out to Thai people that the majority of European countries are not English speaking, that many States of the US have more Spanish than English speakers and that there are millions of Asians, Africans, Hispanic people, Afro-Caribbeans, etc living in the Western world, they look blankly at me.

Isn’t it a bit like a Westerner referring to a Thai (or any oriental person) as a “Chinky” and expecting them to speak Chinese.

The word seems to be based on an ignorance of the world outside Thailand. Not that this is their fault. Thai people have told me that in schools they get little or no education about the Western world, that a month’s trip round Europe is just not financially viable for most people and that Thai TV is not exactly littered with educational documentaries on the world outside.

But why do we have to adopt the word?

In Singapore which is, dare I say it, a little more enlightened than Thailand, they use the word “Caucasian” to mean Caucasian and “English Speaker” to mean English Speaker. And of course they would mostly include themselves in the latter but not the former.

And as much as I dislike the word, I often find myself using it, turning to my Thai girlfriend and saying “farang yuk mak mak” or “Farang kon dio”.

So why do we use it? Are we being ironic? Are we mocking Thai people and their ignorance of the outside world? Are we showing that we have mastered at least one word of the local lingo? Are we enjoying being disrespectful to ourselves and our cultures? Or is it just a case of “When in Rome...”?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do we use it? Are we being ironic? Are we mocking Thai people and their ignorance of the outside world? Are we showing that we have mastered at least one word of the local lingo? Are we enjoying being disrespectful to ourselves and our cultures? Or is it just a case of "When in Rome..."?

You answered your own question. I guess all these reasons apply to different expats using this term. In addition, try to talk to Thais about 'Westerners' or 'Caucasians': you will just get a blank stare, as they don't understand and don't care about such trivialities. So one has to adjust to Thai people's low IQ and lack of education and use this and other words, just to be understood, even if you think of this word as being an insult (or not).

As for me, I sometimes use "farang" when talking to Thais about Caucasians, western customs, or English words. But less and less so, cause I know that most Thais nowadays (with the exception of little kids) use the word as an insult.

We are all "farang" to them, or foreign barbarians, no matter whether we can speak the local lingo fluently, are here with Thai wife and kids, or have millions (of dollars) invested, or even a Thai passport...

Edited by 7

When I have pointed out to Thai people that the majority of European countries are not English speaking, that many States of the US have more Spanish than English speakers and that there are millions of Asians, Africans, Hispanic people, Afro-Caribbeans, etc living in the Western world, they look blankly at me.

The word seems to be based on an ignorance of the world outside Thailand. Not that this is their fault. But why do we have to adopt the word?

So why do we use it?

Looks to me that you answered you're own question. BTW, you can't assume all Thai people assume anything based on those We Love Farang stickers as I beleive Thai's refer to all caucasians as Farang, not just english speakers. The stickers are pretty offensive though since most foreigners here (Arab, Indian, African, etc) speak english, so saying you love Caucasians and dismissing the rest of the world is not cool.

Oh what a surprise! We've not had this old humbug raised for a while, well a few weeks or so.

Generally westerners use the term farang to differentiate between a Thai person and a western person of unknown nationality. That it also applies to other Asian nations is irrelevant as we usually then use the term Asian unless we know they are Malaysian, Filippino etc. We tend to use it with Thais as it is the word they are most likely to recognise rather than caucasian. And English speaker is so vague as to be useless.

Whether it is derogatory or not has been debated ad nauseum here on TV and on other websites.

And no, I would not refer to a Thai as "chinky" no more than I would a Chinese person and no more than I would use the N word.

btw I use the "we" word above as a generalisation covering myself and the people I know and communicate with. Other have alternative views which, no doubt, are being rattled out right now.

Coming from a country that is living in the post PC ages, it's easy to get bogged down in worrying about these sort of matters. After a while though, you just come to accept that Thailand is pre PC, and as such, kicking up a fuss is a waste of time as the concept is completely lost on locals. You also come to realise there are probably more important things in life to worry about.

For me, i use the term farang just cos it's quicker and easier than the English equivalent.

Its best to take off the politically correct hat at the immigration line. Otherwise, it could drive you batty. The use of the word farang is just the start of it. Thailand is a double edged sword, we wouldn't have the good things without the bad things. If they become completely like the west, as Singapore kind of is, whats the attraction?

Edited by Jingthing

I think we're all called farang for the same reason westerners call Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc "asian". BTW, whatever country you come from in Europe will soon be a part of history and you'll simply be "european". At some point in time that will no longer apply and you'll be called something else. I wouldn't worry about it.

This oughta be good...

Hmmm, a deep and insightful reply :o

Yes, I do use it although mainly in private and associated with the word 'stupid' when one has just stepped out without looking and come close to becoming a new hood ornament. Funny how people road sense takes a holiday at the same time they do, may have something to do with the distraction that's usually hooked on one (or two?) arm :D

Slightly off the original topic but, personally, I don't find it offensive (I've been called far worse), it's just a label like 'gweilo' in China and 'mi-guk' in Korea (although I'm actually 'yong-guk'), been called both never felt remotely offended. In fact our Chinese workers referred to us as 'fat gweilo', 'gweilo with beard' and 'fat gweilo with beard' never hurt and we always knew who they referred to as opposed to the local attempts at our names :D

Some people couldn’t care less what word people use, the word itself doesn’t hold any negativity so why care? Farangs think too much, chill out.

It does imply negativity. Outsider. Doesn't belong. Walking ATM. Again, nothing we can do about it. Then there is the tone of voice in which it is used, can be an insult as a standalone word, or usually, more subtle.

When I describe some of my outsider experiences here, my friends in the US say, sounds like you are like a Mexican in the US. Yep.

Edited by Jingthing

I was not a farang before I came to Thailand. It is not what I am. It is how Thais define me. Of course, I play along to communicate with Thais, but that doesn't mean I have to internalize their bizarre world view.

Edited by Jingthing

The one Thai word that Westerners seem to use all the time, and crops up all over this forum, is “Farang”. But isn’t it almost meaningless and vaguely insulting to the countries and cultures we come from?

I have heard the F word used to mean English speakers. In BKK you often see taxis with a sticker in the window saying “I Love Farang”, which means the driver speaks English. I suppose it mostly means Caucasian but can also mean people from the Western world who earn Western salaries.

Isn’t it a bit like a Westerner referring to a Thai (or any oriental person) as a “Chinky” and expecting them to speak Chinese.

The word seems to be based on an ignorance of the world outside Thailand. Not that this is their fault. Thai people have told me that in schools they get little or no education about the Western world, that a month’s trip round Europe is just not financially viable for most people and that Thai TV is not exactly littered with educational documentaries on the world outside.

But why do we have to adopt the word?

In Singapore which is, dare I say it, a little more enlightened than Thailand, they use the word “Caucasian” to mean Caucasian and “English Speaker” to mean English Speaker. And of course they would mostly include themselves in the latter but not the former.

And as much as I dislike the word, I often find myself using it, turning to my Thai girlfriend and saying “farang yuk mak mak” or “Farang kon dio”.

So why do we use it? Are we being ironic? Are we mocking Thai people and their ignorance of the outside world? Are we showing that we have mastered at least one word of the local lingo? Are we enjoying being disrespectful to ourselves and our cultures? Or is it just a case of “When in Rome...”?

What other word am I supposed to use when I order my guava from the street vendors ?

try to talk to Thais about 'Westerners' or 'Caucasians': you will just get a blank stare, as they don't understand and don't care about such trivialities. So one has to adjust to Thai people's low IQ and lack of education, and use this and other words, just to be understood,

We are all "farang" to them, or foreign barbarians, no matter whether we can speak the local lingo fluently, are here with Thai wife and kids, or have millions (of dollars) invested, or even a Thai passport...

Of-course you are only reffering to the Thai people you know and associate with, and are not making a sweeping statement about an entire population of a country.

There are plenty of Thai people who understand and care about 'such trvialities' and plenty with an IQ and education much higher than that of yours.

Maybe they just don't want to waste time trying to 'adjust' to your standard of intolerance and lack of understanding.

Where did you meet your Thai friends, the ones with low IQ and poor education, the ones who don't understand your superior lexicon so therfore you have to dumb it down just to be understood, the ones who think your just a barbarian? Certainly not the same places that i met my Thai friends.

English is the lingua franca of the modern age. Most people of European background or living in Europe-derived nations who have the wherewithal to travel can speak it to some degree. If there was a local demand for Spanish, Portuguese, Creole or Xhosa, the marketplace would fill the demand. English suffices, if nothing else.

Because there's no other simple word that so neatly encapsulates the more or less shared cultural background of the whole Western world.

People that think the word "farang" is negative must live in areas where Thai people have a lot of reason to speak of the majority of farangs in a negative way. Therefore getting used to the word being used in a negative way. It is not a word that is thought of or used alone negatively by the majority of the population

Edited by madjbs

Because there's no other simple word that so neatly encapsulates the more or less shared cultural background of the whole Western world.

Occidental? Western?

Do they call African-Americans farangs? I always thought it was also a RACIAL thing. As in WHITE.

Edited by Jingthing

Boy have you got a lot to learn! 5555555

I think Lannarebirth mentions one of the most interesting uses in English to English communications. If you are referred to "European" then what are you. Even as a white Australia of British ancestory, I am not offended if referred to as Europeon, ie in appearance, this being the closest analogy of "farang". The same could be used for a white South African, Canadian whether French speaking or English, one knows what they look like if called European. That's why Thai's don't call Japanese farangs as they don't look as if they are European in ancestory!!!!!!!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Occidental? Western?

Do they call African-Americans farangs? I always thought it was also a RACIAL thing. As in WHITE.

Could be reffered to as 'dam farang' (black farang).

It may not be meant to be offensive but it is often used in way Westerners brought up with Western manners would term impolite.

For example, sitting at a local restuarant a waitress might say to another waitress, "the farang wants a water". This is characterising someone by the way they look which is impolite where I and many others come from. In a restuarant (or indeed at work or wherever) in Farangland you would not (should not!) hear someone refer to the another person as "the Asian", "the black person", "the grey haired guy" etc etc. A more polite term would be "the gentlemen sitting xyz", "the customer over there", "this person" and even "he" or "she" - and the Thai equivalent. I would never dream of standing next to an Asian person and talking to someone else and say "the Asian said he wants to go eat"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using the word 'farang' publically when the 'farang' can hear it shows a lack of sophistication and is mildly annoying and definately impolite in my opinion.

Thanks for so many great replies (and apologies to those who discussed the F word many times before)

I guess you’re right that there are more important things to worry about and yes perhaps I should forget all about political correctness.

I just think of so many ethnic groups in the West who campaigned to adopt a word like “African-Americans” or “Afro-Carribeans” which seems to be respectful to their culture and places of origin. I just wonder if we are bit to quick to adopt the F word which isn’t exactly respectful to us.

My post was not asking whether or not Thais should use the word but why we have adopted it so readily.

Occidental? Western?

Could be reffered to as 'dam farang' (black farang).

or "chocolate man" :D Sheesh, some have mentioned the non PC'edness of Thailand. If anyone tried that back in the UK there'd be trouble.

Do we Brits get all upset when the Aussies refer to us as Poms, or Americans call us Limeys or to South Americans we're Gringos?

Provided the tone is not aggressive nor derogatory I don't particularly care. For all the assertions of the negativity of the word Farang I treat it, and the person speaking it, according to their tone of voice.

Anyway it's 16:50 and I'm to chill out over a beers. :o