Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

Donald trump left a 10,000 tip two nights ago at a restaurant!

Personally, I think tipping 1000 baht to a food vendor is just ridiculously silly but I guess the vendor is not complaining and its their money, so its none of our business.

I heard that about the Trump. He is in a class by himself and everyone knows he is a world class Azzhula, so good on him, and the lucky waiter.

You should not aim to judge your self worth against others. There are 6 billion people on this planet, you will often come up short. Insulting someone for being charitable, even if it is silly, just makes you look like a jealous guy with self esteem issues.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10,000 dollars is less than a seconds worth of Trump's wealth. It means nothing to him. With that second of his wealth, he just bought MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of free good public relations. On that little gesture, he profits BIG TIME. When an average person tips 20 baht it is a much bigger gesture. Good day. Who is judgemental, sounds like you are.

Edited by Jingthing

In my opinion, most (not all) people who tip way over the top tend to do so because it makes them feel good, or they perceive it to make them look big, wealthy, generous etc etc.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Its kind of funny people bragging about being such good souls and selfless, when they do it for THEMSELVES. They are buying a good feeling.

JohnnyF and Jingthing, why do you think you have any clue what the motives are for "most" people who tip "over the top" (read: more than you want them to).

You don't. You can't read other peoples' minds.

BUT, even if you could read their minds, it's still not your business what other people tip, regardless of their motives. Just learn to be big boys (or girls) and deal with people doing differently than you.

As for me, I don't tip big to make me feel good, I tip big to make you feel bad. That's just how I roll.

I like the way you roll sir, :o

6 - 5 years ago tipping was fairly rare to locals and when you tried to shove 10/20 baht to their hand they would just not understand the concept since they didn't expect anything.

Today when tourists come here for a week or two and have plenty to throw around, it does reflect to mindset of local Thais. Little by little they have understood that farangs like to "throw" money away. Restaurants ran by farangs have known the scheme and use it but still if you hit a local "local" place they don't expect you to leave more than a smile and a promise to come back.

I do bet that most of us locals do feel okay to leave something extra on the table if the food and service is good but it does leave bad feeling when money is thrown away just for the heck of it, expectations rise and then maybe are not met... Who will get the sour face at the end game? The local farang not leveling tourist tip. I bet this same goes around in the minds of the locals around the world within people living in same kind of tourist destinations.

Sure all this varies night to night, place to place, venue to venue and service to food quality but when I see some of my visitor friends dropping same money tip of a beer that the actual beer costs, I do raise my voice for sure...

Edited by SamuiBond

6 - 5 years ago tipping was fairly rare to locals and when you tried to shove 10/20 baht to their hand they would just not understand the concept since they didn't expect anything.

Today when tourists come here for a week or two and have plenty to throw around, it does reflect to mindset of local Thais. Little by little they have understood that farangs like to "throw" money away. Restaurants ran by farangs have known the scheme and use it but still if you hit a local "local" place they don't expect you to leave more than a smile and a promise to come back.

I do bet that most of us locals do feel okay to leave something extra on the table if the food and service is good but it does leave bad feeling when money is thrown away just for the heck of it, expectations rise and then maybe are not met... Who will get the sour face at the end game? The local farang not leveling tourist tip. I bet this same goes around in the minds of the locals around the world within people living in same kind of tourist destinations.

Sure all this varies night to night, place to place, venue to venue and service to food quality but when I see some of my visitor friends dropping same money tip of a beer that the actual beer costs, I do raise my voice for sure...

You live in a Tourist destination. Your'e gonna have to take the rough with the smooth.

I live in a tourist destination. I tip moderately between Thai local and tourist. In places that know me, know I live here, I don't feel any expectation in any way to tip like a tourist. On the contrary, all very pleasant or smiley. Or I wouldn't be a regular. In Thailand, it all depends.

Edited by Jingthing

saying u tip more thaan a thai local is not saying much sir.

i thought u were softening in yr position towards overly generous, but i was wrong........lol.

at least u said something sensible "it all depends". not only in los but everywhere.

the more i stay the less i tip the hangers on in bars.........lol. be4 it was tipping not only waitress but friend also. now its friend get lost so to say.

Edited by blizzard

You live in a Tourist destination. Your'e gonna have to take the rough with the smooth.

Sure, adaption is the name of the game. But why let just the few lay down the rules with their behaviour? Sure, this is one of those things you can't possibly control but you can send a message: What's the point?

Sure, adaption is the name of the game. But why let just the few lay down the rules with their behaviour? Sure, this is one of those things you can't possibly control but you can send a message: What's the point?

Without sounding arrogant. If for example i was ever in a restaurant having an enjoyable time with friends and after paying the bill with say a 100 baht tip a so called Local farang leaned over from an adjacent table and offered me advice on my behaviour regards tipping and its detrimental affect on the so called local farang society. I wouldnt mince my words i would tell him/her ''Good day! Now p*ss *ff and mind your own bussiness.'' :o

10,000 dollars is less than a seconds worth of Trump's wealth. It means nothing to him. With that second of his wealth, he just bought MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of free good public relations. On that little gesture, he profits BIG TIME. When an average person tips 20 baht it is a much bigger gesture. Good day. Who is judgemental, sounds like you are.

Jing, you make some good points it puzzles me why some posters cant see the above, also some dont admit they feel pressured to tip big.

So they justify their actions and say a person with another view is cheap, they say this as they dont like the prospect they are being mugged by peers or worked by staff.

There are many reasons to tip high and low too many reasons to write and too complex for this forum.