800,000 Bt Per Person Or Per Couple?

It seems that the various immigration offices are using/interpreting the legislation differently. But time and again it is being stated (but often denied) that the office in Bangkok is professional and follows the rules by the letter. But can you use this office if you don't live in Bangkok?

Secondly, I get differing info about the 800,000 Bt rule for retirement visas: some say that 800,000 Bt is enough for a married couple, some say that this rule was changed recently so that 1,600,000 Bt is now required. What to believe?

It seems that the various immigration offices are using/interpreting the legislation differently. But time and again it is being stated (but often denied) that the office in Bangkok is professional and follows the rules by the letter. But can you use this office if you don't live in Bangkok?

Secondly, I get differing info about the 800,000 Bt rule for retirement visas: some say that 800,000 Bt is enough for a married couple, some say that this rule was changed recently so that 1,600,000 Bt is now required. What to believe?

The new rule only lasted a couple of weeks and was recinded.

The requirement is 800,000 Baht for a couple. IE, You get the retirement extension and your wife qualifies as your dependent.

The rule is any retirement extension of stay is 65k/800k so if both want a retirement extension of stay they each must have that amount in there name.

But if you have a legal marriage the spouse can join the person with the retirement extension of stay with a matching one year extension. In that case there is no financial requirement for the second party.

I do not want to overrule anybody. But it is absolutely correct what previous posters said. I personally know a Falang couple who did their extension as explained, not in Bangkok this time, but up north in Isaan. As they had all the necessary papers ready, they were granted it recently right on the spot.

Actually there is no provision under clause 7.21 for spouse. The current requirement is 800k and those that present themselves wanting "retirement extensions (7.21)" will each have to have the 800k or 65k. What you want to do is have one person obtain the retirement extension of stay under 7.21 and the other person then becomes eligible for matching extension under provision 7.19 as a family member.

7.19 In case of being the

member of family of the

foreigner who is permitted

to stay temporarily in the

Kingdom pursuant to the

Criterion No. 7.1, 7.2, 7.4,

7.5, 7.6, 7.9, 7.11, 7.12,

7.13, 7.14, 7.15, 7.16, 7.20,

7.21, 7.25 or 7.28 of this

Order (Only for Father,

mother, marriage couple,

ordinary child, adopted

child or a child of the

marriage couple)

Each time of permission

shall be granted for a

period not exceeding 1

year.

High guys we extended Retirement Visa, and my wife piggy backs on that, at the end of October 2007 in Pattaya.

We chose to get the letter from British Consulate proving pension income minimum of 65,000 per month. Plus copy of pass book from bank, letter from bank, copy of marriage certificate etc etc .

Any time we have done this there has never been a problem...long may it continue! :o